PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: LIVE SHOW HOLDERS--Imput needed regarding ribbons.

RobinHoodFan
12-04-2016, 06:11 PM
Hi everyone! I would like to brainstorm with you guys…

I’m considering the options of making and selling unique live show ribbons in the near future (once I get some backlog of commissions cleared up). I have some neat ideas that have been spinning around in my head that could prove to offer really nice ribbons and also be very cost effective for show holders, especially those on a budget. At least I think so…this is where you guys come in. I’d like to ask you some questions to get a better idea if this is something that could work.

I’m doing some market research on pricing preferences, material preferences, etc. and I’d appreciate it SO MUCH if those of you who hold live shows or know about the ins, outs and costs of live show holding could answer these survey questions. If you feel more comfortable answering these in private, feel free to PM me or email me (http://crileycustoms.weebly.com/contact-me.html):

Thanks in advance for your help!! Here goes!

1) How many of each of the following do you usually order for your live show?:
—STANDARD (i.e. 1st, 2nd 3rd, etc)
—CHAMP
—RES CHAMP
—OVERALL CHAMP (Do these usually look the same as your champ ribbons?)
—OVERALL RES CHAMP (Do these usually look the same as your res champ ribbons?)

2) How much do you usually pay, or feel comfortable paying per EACH ribbon in the following categories
—STANDARD (i.e. 1st, 2nd 3rd, etc)
—CHAMP
—RES CHAMP
—OVERALL CHAMP
—OVERALL RES CHAMP

3) Do you prefer paper or fabric? Or is it whichever is most cost effective?

4) How high do you usually place and give out standard ribbons for? (1st through ??)

5) Do you have a preference on ribbon size? Would it matter if they’re smaller than your standard flats? For example, how does 1.5” x 4” sound?

6) Do you prefer/want to get your ribbons customized with your show name/logo/date?

7) Have you ever printed and cut your own paper ribbons? If so…
—What kind of paper did you use?
—What size ribbons did you print?
—What was the total cost per ribbon (taking into account ALL costs such as paper, ink, gas to get supplies, time, etc)?
—Would you pay a teensy bit more if the ribbons were nicer quality and/or if it meant not having to do all of that work?

8) When do you usually hold your show? What time of year are a majority of live shows held?

9) Anything else you think I should take into consideration that hasn’t been mentioned?

RRStudios
12-04-2016, 06:37 PM
I'm not a showholder, but as someone who shows, the trend seems to be going towards paper ribbons for the "standard" placings, and then something a little nicer for Champs and Reserves. Most shows I go to are benefit shows, so they like to keep their costs down as much as possible. A couple nice variations I've seen on standard rosettes are fancy flats (nice heavy cardstock with graphics and some glitter decal designs) and model-size neck ribbons. As a shower, the only Champ awards I've seen that I didn't care for were paper certificates - not even laminated or anything, just a sheet of paper with graphics and such. Of course, that was the one show I won like 4 Champs/Reserves, my most ever. :ever

FourWindsFarm
12-06-2016, 02:02 PM
Not a showholder (yet) but the show I've been to seem to do primarily paper ribbons or business cards for class placements 1-6th place, and larger rosettes for Champs and Reserves and Overalls. Pony Pouches are very popular prizes for division winners, which is awesome, because nobody ever has enough of those!

I prefer ribbons and rosettes as they are a nice keepsake. A couple of shows I've been to help keep costs down by not putting the date on the rosettes or using the generic pre-printed ones so they can be used show to show and more ordered only if needed; that way, exhibitors who choose not to keep their ribbons can turn them in at the end of the day to be re-used for the next show so the holder won't need to order as many. Satin class placement ribbons are also often returned after photos are taken for re-use, so if you look at how often they can be reused, they can be quite cost-effective, and exhibitors that want to keep them can.

Given a choice between attending a show that offers rosettes and one that doesn't, I would choose the show that does offer them, even if the entry fee was a few dollars more per table to cover it. Like Meghan, I generally tend to do best at shows without ribbons, and my horses do nothing at shows with them, but I still try!

Most shows in our area tend to be held in the spring, summer, or fall -- winter is just to 'iffy' for travel. There's a show this coming weekend, and I hope the weather holds out so I'm able to go; it will be the last show I go to before spring, for sure!

jettabar99
12-06-2016, 02:11 PM
—STANDARD (i.e. 1st, 2nd 3rd, etc) 250 of each
—CHAMP 16
—RES CHAMP 16
—OVERALL CHAMP (Do these usually look the same as your champ ribbons?) dont have these
—OVERALL RES CHAMP (Do these usually look the same as your res champ ribbons?) dont have these

2) How much do you usually pay, or feel comfortable paying per EACH ribbon in the following categories
—STANDARD (i.e. 1st, 2nd 3rd, etc) - i have these copied and cut on colored paper at Staples
—CHAMP - up to $6 USD
—RES CHAMP - up to $6 USD

3) Do you prefer paper or fabric? Or is it whichever is most cost effective? I user paper because its cheaper. I personally dont keep flats that i win either

4) How high do you usually place and give out standard ribbons for? (1st through ??) 1st to 6th

5) Do you have a preference on ribbon size? Would it matter if they’re smaller than your standard flats? For example, how does 1.5” x 4” sound? whatever fits on an 8"X 10 paper works for me

6) Do you prefer/want to get your ribbons customized with your show name/logo/date? Yes - and custom botton in rossette

—What kind of paper did you use? regular printer colored
—What size ribbons did you print? 8 per page
—What was the total cost per ribbon (taking into account ALL costs such as paper, ink, gas to get supplies, time, etc)? $30 ish for the full show
—Would you pay a teensy bit more if the ribbons were nicer quality and/or if it meant not having to do all of that work? only a little more

8) When do you usually hold your show? What time of year are a majority of live shows held? i hold mine at the end of april or start of may

9) Anything else you think I should take into consideration that hasn’t been mentioned? I like my Rossettes to be very unique for each show. Each year different

Lemmons SS
12-06-2016, 03:33 PM
I hold two live shows a year but I will answer these in relation to my big show only.

—STANDARD (i.e. 1st, 2nd 3rd, etc) 470 of each placing
—CHAMP 238
—RES CHAMP 238
—OVERALL CHAMP (Do these usually look the same as your champ ribbons?) I get longer ribbons for overalls- 22
—OVERALL RES CHAMP (Do these usually look the same as your res champ ribbons?) 22

—STANDARD (i.e. 1st, 2nd 3rd, etc) usually use paper that I print and cut
—CHAMP 6.00
—RES CHAMP 6.00
—OVERALL CHAMP 8.00
—OVERALL RES CHAMP 8.00

3) Do you prefer paper or fabric? Or is it whichever is most cost effective? I use paper flats for 1-6, silk rosettes for C/R and bigger silk rosettes for Overalls

4) How high do you usually place and give out standard ribbons for? (1st through ??) 1-6

5) Do you have a preference on ribbon size? Would it matter if they’re smaller than your standard flats? For example, how does 1.5” x 4” sound? I like standard sizes

6) Do you prefer/want to get your ribbons customized with your show name/logo/date? Yes, I get a CM logo, show name and colors

—What kind of paper did you use? I've used card stock, glitter paper, colored card stock, colored paper
—What size ribbons did you print? 2"x5"
—What was the total cost per ribbon (taking into account ALL costs such as paper, ink, gas to get supplies, time, etc)? paper $40.00, ink $20.00, $10.00 gas and lots of time, it takes a long time to print and cut almost 3000 ribbons
—Would you pay a teensy bit more if the ribbons were nicer quality and/or if it meant not having to do all of that work? maybe

8) When do you usually hold your show? What time of year are a majority of live shows held? Big show is in April, all mini show in Sept. Shows are pretty balanced out through out the year in this region, we try not to infringe on other shows.

9) Anything else you think I should take into consideration that hasn’t been mentioned? Don't think so

RobinHoodFan
12-06-2016, 06:05 PM
Woo thanks so much guys! Keep it commin! This has been VERY helpful!!

:yourock