PDA

View Full Version : Question about MH$P

HorseshoeFarms
12-20-2016, 06:34 PM
I bought a model from MH$P and I received the package today. Everything REEKS of cigarette smoke. It did not say in the ad that the person is a smoker or I would not have purchased the model because I do not smoke. I am so disappointed because I have been looking for this model for a very long time. Cigarettes and the smell make me sick! Are you supposed to write non-smoker or smoker on MH$P like on eBay? Should I notify the seller about this? How do I get rid of the cigarette smell? Right now, I have the model in the garage hoping to "air it out."

summerwinds
12-20-2016, 06:58 PM
This is tough cause I don't believe there is any rule that states you have to say whether the model comes from a smoking or non-smoking house. I always point out that mine come from a non-smoking house because like you I am super sensitive and find that it is a plus in the model world to be able to state this. I have shied away from many models due to being sold by smokers.

As for what to do...you could contact the seller and let them know the issue. They may be willing to work with you to come to some sort of acceptable agreement, whether that is a refund and return of the model, or a discount on the model due to the smell.

Getting the smell out is another matter. You could try letting it sit outside in full sun...but if you live in a state like mine it will be several months before you are able to try that as it is about 19 degrees here right now.

allykatd
12-20-2016, 07:38 PM
Is it possible to soak the model is Dawn liquid detergent? I don't know anything about getting smoke smell out of Breyers but it would seem there would be something you could do.

HorseshoeFarms
12-20-2016, 07:42 PM
This is tough cause I don't believe there is any rule that states you have to say whether the model comes from a smoking or non-smoking house. I always point out that mine come from a non-smoking house because like you I am super sensitive and find that it is a plus in the model world to be able to state this. I have shied away from many models due to being sold by smokers.

As for what to do...you could contact the seller and let them know the issue. They may be willing to work with you to come to some sort of acceptable agreement, whether that is a refund and return of the model, or a discount on the model due to the smell.

Getting the smell out is another matter. You could try letting it sit outside in full sun...but if you live in a state like mine it will be several months before you are able to try that as it is about 19 degrees here right now.

Thanks :) I was thinking about contacting them, but I went to look at their ad to see if they have any policies about refunds, etc. They state that they will not do returns or refunds. When I looked at the ad this evening, I did take screenshots of the ad so I can remember their policies and remember not to buy from them again. I have no complaints about the transaction or the way it was packaged because all of that was great - its just the smoke smell that I am very disappointed in.

HorseshoeFarms
12-20-2016, 07:44 PM
Is it possible to soak the model is Dawn liquid detergent? I don't know anything about getting smoke smell out of Breyers but it would seem there would be something you could do.

Thanks! :) Will Dawn detergent be safe on gloss finish? The model is glossy.

juliacodeman
12-20-2016, 07:59 PM
Yes, Dawn is safe on a glossy model. I would soak it also. If it is a very rare model I wouldn't put it into soak for long, but rather lay paper towels on it that are soaked in soapy water. I've gotten models that smelled of smoke also and it does dissipate, over time-but I soak mine in Lestoil it has a stronger smell than smoke!

I have also rescued models that were yellowed from smoke and put a capful of bleach in water, soaked the model but covered the air hole with tape-or the model fills with water. I wouldn't recommend doing this if it's a super expensive model, however, and the ratio of bleach to water must be a tiny amount of bleach, but just enough to kill stench and help to whiten the model.

Good luck! I am sorry you got a smoky model that's no fun! It could also be the UPS driver!

PixelPerfectStables
12-20-2016, 08:54 PM
Stablemates I will put into a sealed baggie of baking powder, which does wonders with taking out smells. So far I haven't had to leave one more than 24 hours. Larger models are more difficult to fit into bags, one horse I got didn't smell of smoke but had an odd smell...I was able to lessen the smell but it's never totally gone away. Thankfully it was a horse that doesn't show so it stays in the basement room.

Mary
12-20-2016, 09:26 PM
There are some folks on Blab who are experts at getting rid of cigarette smell. Open a thread with the tobacco smoke smell in the title to ask them for help.

Years ago, before I knew to ask, I had the same experience you did - bought a nice model but when it arrived ... well, I could smell that box when it was 20 feet away, no kidding. I tried everything you are thinking of - airing it, sunning it, washing with a good detergent. None of that helped very much. It was so long ago and I was so careful not to repeat the experience I'm afraid I no longer remember what advice worked the best, but I'm not sure the model will ever be truly, completely free of the smell.

As far as I'm concerned, the smell of tobacco smoke on a model is a very serious flaw in condition, right up there with missing a big swath of the paint. It is very, very difficult to remove the smell. The model can transfer the smell to other things in the house. Most people need to place their model near other models, even wrap and pack in boxes or tubs with other models. The smoke-smell model can spread the problem to other models, and it can be just as intransigent on the others.

So IMO, you have a serious issue to raise with the seller, HorseshoeFarms. This isn't an MHSP issue, it is a seller issue. Again, just my personal opinion, but not disclosing exposure to tobacco smoke is a major gap in disclosure about condition. I don't know if the hobby in general agrees as I don't transact terribly often.

Thanks :) I was thinking about contacting them, but I went to look at their ad to see if they have any policies about refunds, etc. They state that they will not do returns or refunds. When I looked at the ad this evening, I did take screenshots of the ad so I can remember their policies and remember not to buy from them again. I have no complaints about the transaction or the way it was packaged because all of that was great - its just the smoke smell that I am very disappointed in.

Once again this is just my opinion -- but such policies are null & void if a seller failed to disclose a serious condition flaw. If a seller did not disclose that a model had a broken leg, having a 'no returns/refunds' policy in no way exempts them from making it right if they did not inform the buyer before the buyer made the decision to purchase. IMO tobacco smell is just as serious as the broken leg ... in fact, the leg could often be mended more easily and completely than the smell. Just IMO.

Desmodus
12-21-2016, 01:11 AM
Ugh, surprise smoky models are the worst, been down that road a few times myself. Nowadays if an ad doesn't state "smoke-free" I always ask if the item has ever been exposed to smoke. Selling venues need to have a little box for sellers to check off indicating if the items are coming from a smoking or non-smoking home so shoppers know without having to inquire.

To get the smoke smell out quicker put the model in a storage tub with a tight fitting lid and line the bottom of the tub with newspaper, baking soda, and/or activated charcoal. Depending on how contaminated the model is you might need to leave it in the tub for several days and replace the newspaper/baking soda/charcoal perodically to keep drawing out the odor. Hand washing the model with a mild detergent first will help, too.

Misty Star Studios
12-21-2016, 10:27 AM
I had a model that arrived with a smoke smell that I put in a cardboard box with a small container of kitty litter. I switched out the container every few days and it seemed to work, the kitty litter drew the smell off the horse :)

FourWindsFarm
12-21-2016, 12:04 PM
I bought a grail of mine last fall that arrived reeking of smoke... but I got such a good price on the model and he was so pretty, I decided to keep him. I gave him a good cleaning with Dawn, put him out in the sun for a couple of days, then stuck him in a plastic tote with some an open container of charcoal in with him and newspapers in the bottom. I switched out the charcoal every couple of days. Kitty litter would work, too, but I'd be careful to get the kind that doesn't have added fragrance as that can be worse than smoke....

He was so much better after a few days. I can smell a trace of smoke on him if I put my nose right up against him and sniff, but I really have to be looking for it to notice.

Apparently I'm the only person in the hobby who didn't know the seller was a smoker, so lesson learned. I ask now if it's not in the listing that it comes from a smoke-free home. Otherwise it had better be priced down around the pocket change level for me to take the risk of getting it cleaned up enough.

HorseshoeFarms
12-21-2016, 12:15 PM
I really appreciate all of the advice and suggestions. :hugg Thank you so much for all the quick responses! I think from now on I will ask the seller if a model has been exposed to smoke because I don't want this to happen again.

Willowisp
12-22-2016, 09:24 PM
What an awful surprise, to open a box and have that awful smell come out! :( Yuck! I just wanted to add my two cents for trying to deoderize the model...I've discovered that baby shampoo and kid's shampoo is really terrific for neutralizing odors, even on models, and it's super gentle stuff. I've used it on glossy models, as well, and it helps tremendously. It's not perfect, but it helps. I did buy a book from ebay that came with an awful smoke smell (I planned to try reading it quick and just putting it away, but it was just too gross!) and putting it in a bag with baking soda (with pages splayed open) for a few days did wonders. I used just a regular plastic grocery bag and tied it at the top, worked like a charm! I know that method was already mentioned, so I just wanted to add that it worked wonders for my book. :) Good luck!

-Barbara Connors