PDA

View Full Version : Wagon-on!

papaone1
01-31-2017, 03:26 PM
151799151800151801151802151803This is mainly an experiment for me to learn how to behave in a forum. Please be patient with me as this is my first time and there maybe numerous errors, please forgive my ignorance. Remember I don't even own a cell phone, and I type with two fingers, Thank you very much! In the meantime please meet some members of the herd. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Loren

Zexious
01-31-2017, 07:17 PM
I so love the photos you post! I can feel the love you put into each one!
Keep'um coming :D!

onekindacowboy
01-31-2017, 08:48 PM
I would like to see another picture of the manure spreader!

Starshore
01-31-2017, 08:53 PM
These are neat! It's pretty cool how there are matching horses for each set!

I totally understand where you're coming from with two finger typing, half the time I still lose track of certain letters!

papaone1
01-31-2017, 09:48 PM
151815 For some unknown reason the flash didn't go off on this one,but I think tou can make it out. And yes I used a camera , I do not own a cell phone. I can take more if you like , just let me know.. Thanks,,,,,,,,,,,,Loren

papaone1
01-31-2017, 09:55 PM
Well some match and some don't . I prefer mismatched teams as they are more life like. I am pretty sure the off color teams will pull just as much as a matched team, although I do not have any scientific data to back that up, nor the cash needed to do the research. It used to be the matched pairs were just for the rich and famous and I am not one of them.151816Here is a team of Clydes one roan and one bay, same mold but different colors. Thanks,,,,,,,,,,,Loren

papaone1
02-01-2017, 07:36 AM
151825151826Here are some more pics of the spreader. Thanks for looking,,,,,,,,,,,,Loren

Eleda
02-01-2017, 09:51 AM
That's the first I've seen of the CollectA Shire hitch with the milk jugs. You've been holding out on me! :blueflower

I'm still patrial to the two Campolinas hauling the firewood sled. I just love the personality they bring to it, standing ready, but with heads turned to watch what's going on.

It's great there are finally places where smiths can order wheels in these scales. That was always my dad's biggest complaint - He had to make wheels, and they never looked like actual wagon wheels. When he tried to make the spokes thinner, they'd break. I'm so glad you can get good wheels for your vehicles; it really helps bring them to life.

Please keep the pictures coming as you build!

papaone1
02-01-2017, 12:19 PM
I think this maybe a case of your memory playing tricks on you again, The milk wagon was one of the early ones and the Shires were just upgraded in harness151845151846 I just got the team harness set out and hitched them again LOL,,,,,,,,,Loren

papaone1
02-02-2017, 01:46 PM
And here is a chance for those of you with sawdust in your pockets and other places to catch up with the herd151932151933151934151935A pair of Ardennes stallions with the firewood sled, OK the ax might be out of scale but just think of Paul Bunyans cousin Herman from the great nort woods, Then Eleda's favorite , a pair of Campolinas stallions with the firewood sleigh, waiting for the teamster to finish his coffee, and my own personal accent , a portable saw mill with a JD Model "E" hit and miss engine. They came in 1/2 , 3, &6 horsepower. Maybe 6 hp is a liitle undersized to run this mill but 2 100 pound flywheels gave 'er momentum. Happy Groundhogs day. Anyone have a crock pot recipe for groundhog???,,,,,,,,,,,,,Loren

Eleda
02-02-2017, 07:29 PM
A box came in the mail for me today (the epic story of The Retrieval of the Box will wait for another day), and in it was this - minus the horses... I added them to give it some action:

What an incredible surprise! I love it. You can tell when something has been made with care and given with positive thoughts... This lovely cart (in Triple Mountain green, no less) feels so positive! Thank you so much, from the bottom of my heart. It will have a very special place here always. The little Triple Mountain logo signs made me smile, too!

~ Eleda

papaone1
02-02-2017, 09:23 PM
What size is the team? Are they classics? They look really good up there, did the circus come to town and I missed the parade again this year? Why don't you tell me these things?? Enjoy, If you like I'll send you a pair of shoestrings to get you started. Just let me know:blueflower,,,,,,,,Loren

JamieD
02-03-2017, 09:11 AM
Love the farm equipment. :adore

We've got a manure spreader and a sickle bar mower that we use here on our home place and at our ranch.

JamieD

Zexious
02-03-2017, 12:26 PM
^This!!

Eleda, what a fabulous little wagon! Thank you so much for sharing!
Do you plan on making a harness for it?

papaone1
02-03-2017, 05:42 PM
Here is the Vis-a-Vis from Triple Mountain Carriage, proudly owned by Eleda Towle, and built & outfitted by Papaone1. The team are "Dolly" & "Pearl" , full sisters one year apart and pretty well matched. Dolly is near and Pearl is lead mare here. Pearl just returned to Wisconsin from Oregon, where she spent the winter working in the woods. Welcome home Pearl. The carriage has a removable or fold down top, your choice for different types of weather> Eleda has been waiting for this one to complete and here is where we are so far. This hitch is known as a " tandem hitch " and it was common in the cities of the eastern US in years gone by. Was a favorite with the wealthy who needed and wanted to be seen by all in a "top shelf Rig and team" Enjoy,,,,,,,,,,,,Loren152068152069152070152071

Cyra
02-04-2017, 12:54 PM
These are wonderful! I absolutely love them. :adore

papaone1
02-05-2017, 02:28 PM
I know it's not that time of year yet , but when you have as many horses to feed as I do you have to be ready, and we are ready. Meet "Queen & Sheba' half sisters from the stallion and the same age and good and honest workers. These two were purchased at low prices because they are a little scuffed. Queen was $.99 and Sheba was $5.50 plus shipping on e-bay. That doesn't keep them from being an excellent farm team. They will have many more years together in harness152145152146152147 And who knows if they run with a stallion they may even produce some pretty foals who may grow up someday to be parade horses. We all have to have a dream,,,,,,,Dream on,,,,,,,,,,,,,Loren:blueflower

champagnehorses
02-07-2017, 07:29 PM
Love looking at all the photos! Such neat sets!! :adore

papaone1
02-07-2017, 09:51 PM
Thank you, my kids all think it is a waste of my time, But I really enjoy making them.

juliacodeman
02-07-2017, 10:33 PM
I love all the wagons, what beautiful work!! Also, I just have to add that I love to see when people rescue unloved models from eBay...it warms my heart! Saving the Breyers, one scuffed .99 model at a time...

papaone1
02-08-2017, 06:29 AM
I also rescued a Morgan with a broken leg and he will be repaired and will happily go to work in harness , the job that he loves. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a scuffed Breyer that a little TLC can't fix. They may not ever win best of show, but then few of us would not either.

papaone1
02-11-2017, 01:35 PM
Here is the rescued Morgan, his name is Mike and his brother Marvin (He prefers Marvin as opposed to Marv) Mike was the one with the broken leg and I am happy to report that he came through surgery with flying colors and the DR. assures a complete recovery. Marvin was a bit anxious during the surgery and was delighted to be re-united with Mike. He took a day off and is now back at work where he loves to be. He has a really high dollar job at Wells Fargo Express and not a smelly old overland stage horse either but the top of the line freight job. High wages , vacation, medical, retirement and all the hay he can eat. Never heard of Well Fargo Express? Well they were here before UPS and Fed-Ex. You ordered your item from a catalog, sent payment, and waited for 3 to 6 months for your order to arrive, or not. It was iffy in those days. When a freighter or a train got your order to the express office it was loaded on an express wagon for delivery,might be a new corset, a derby hat or cane, or the overly large hats and bonnets everyone wore in height of fashion.
I am open for ideas as to what to build next. I have lots of ideas but can't really decide and Eleda said I should ask all the followers at blab for ideas,and or pictures, I don't know if I can build all comers but it will still be fun to explore152412152413152414 How about some of you showing your rigs and hitches, it is a good way to spend free time even if it is not free. Thanks,,,,Loren

Eleda
02-13-2017, 03:05 PM
So happy to see Mike standing on all fours again!

Given the two feet of snow we just had, my suggestion for you is a snow roller - either the high-wheel variety or the lower, two-wheel version that's harder to build but easier for the team to turn.

papaone1
02-15-2017, 09:42 AM
Eleda would you please share the photos of snow rollers with our precipitation challenged southern neighbors who my not be aware of their existance. I find this technology to rank right up there with sliced bread and bagels. Thanks,,,,,,,,,,,,Loren:blueflower

Eleda
02-16-2017, 05:37 AM
Sure thing. Boy, about now, I wish WE were precipitation challenged.... Looks like another 18" since yesterday morning. My shovel is out of gas again. Gotta refill it with Mountain Dew and get back to it. Not sure yet where we're going to put it all. This is where a snow roller would have come in handy... You didn't have to worry about where to put it, or the bankings getting tighter and the road narrower every storm- You just rolled the snow flat and drove on it!

Here's a photo of a high-wheel snow roller. They're also called road rollers. Just like giant rolling pins pulled by horses or oxen, they flatten and pack the snow, making it solid enough to drive wheeled wagons over. Only the rich could afford a wagon AND a sleigh in Maine back in the day, so these made it possible for folks to get to town in winter. Every town had at least one, and at least one team to pull it, hopefully with back-up teams, because wading in snow sometimes up to their bellies pulling this heavy thing was hard work.

Here's a photo of one in use... This is truly a mixed team! I'd like to say the oxen were at the wheel because of their strength and the horses at the lead for their smarts, but chances are this is what this farmer had in the field that would work in harness.

I love this old painting. Papaone1 asked how they managed to go down the mountain roads here without the giant thing running over the team.... Well, besides a good hand-brake, which was sometimes no more than a long stick that could be wedged between the wheel and its frame (yipes!) that's what the horses' breeching (the strap behind the rump) was for. A lot of people wonder why harnesses go around the horse's rump when it doesn't help pull... Well, it helps brake. In this painting, you can see the horses leaning back into their breeching, which keeps the roller from speeding up behind them.

So, ball's back in your court, PapaOne1... Think you can build one of these? Usually the wheel came up just above the team's rumps, and the driver sat over it for a good view of the terrain ahead, since he'd have to use landmarks to tell where the road ought to be. Some rollers were taller and had a single wheel, especially those that went out through the countryside where drifts could be as high as phone lines. City rollers (and new-fangled ones) were usually shorter and split into two wheels side-by-side to help them maneuver through tight city streets better.

papaone1
02-16-2017, 07:57 AM
Boy Howdy, you are putting the pressure on me now, as if I didn't already have several full time jobs LOL. I'll see what I can do. I don't have any idea where I am going to find oxen in this day and age, especially with the price of beef like it is. That's OK though, there is a woman in Maine who specializes in finding hard to find animals, I'll give her a shout. Maybe we'll have to settle for some heavy draft rescue animals instead. Keep watching for further developments in this ever expanding saga. You never know what you'll find here.

dapple
02-16-2017, 11:58 AM
Cool thread!

Zexious
02-16-2017, 08:46 PM
^Yeah, that!

Wow, Eleda!
I have never seen such a thing before! As they say, you learn something new everyday!
Real talk, would that not make the coolest Performance entry you've ever seen!?

Eleda
02-17-2017, 09:30 AM
Yes, Zexious, I think it would!

I'll keep my eyes open for drafters that need to be rescued. Meanwhile, no one worry - PapaOne has just received a whole herd of saddle-type horses (after they took an unexpected side trip to New Jersey on the way out west), so I expect we'll see some more interesting creations from him soon!

papaone1
02-18-2017, 06:23 PM
Took the day off ,well half day anyway. Went to the sawmill to saw planks for Eleda's snow roller and when I got done it was such a nice day I hitched ole John Henry to the old buggy and went for a ride, Made about 15 miles or so. John is 22 years old , although he won't admit it and still loves his buggy work. If I would hitch some one else I think he would throw a fit. 152734152735152736152737
Tried a couple of new things on this build, trial and error, keep the things that work and discard those that don't, I am still learning ,but it is all fun.

papaone1
02-19-2017, 07:15 PM
Here is a little Appaloosa mare I rescued from the cold snowy mountains in Maine, and she went and joined the Army as a Cavalry parade horse, more of an honorary title than a real enlistment but she doesn't know that so don't tell her, I can write this here because she can't read, at least I hope she can't. I know this is supposed to be wagons, but I tried a different Tack on this one ( tack , that's a pun), a change of pace if you will allow me to digress , thank you very much.152767152768 Thank you for your service lil darling

Faracat
02-19-2017, 07:22 PM
I've really enjoyed this thread. Thanks for posting about your creations. :clap

Eleda
02-19-2017, 07:35 PM
Now that you seem to have settled into working mostly in Traditional scale, we should see about getting you a driver. Having a human in the same scale as the horse would not only be great for showing off your rigs, but would also help if you get stuck trying to size something correctly. Alright, pressure's on... Can't wait to see your take on the old snow roller.

I came across three little Clydesdales who have been hanging out here for years waiting for me to get around to listing them for sale. They're about CollectA size.... I think they came off a Budweiser light or something, long ago, and someone gave them to me. I think they'll have a lot more fun with you, so I tucked them into the order that'll be heading your way on Tuesday.:blueflower

papaone1
02-19-2017, 09:49 PM
Well ain't that a hoot, I've got tubs of GI Joes upstairs from back when, and they are all 1/6 and the horses are 1/9 story of my life. I was going to partner a Joe from civil war with Lil but he made her look like shetland pony. And why do we need people? They just ruin everything they touch. Ever see come paint your wagon? Lee Marvin, while talking about all God had made, said it " along come the people and gum it up good" Sides, I likes to build em and love em and care for em, but I don't likes to share em.
I"ve got a couple of old hard plastic Clydes from an old light, a mare and a foal on a lamp that I still use in the living room and a bigger gelding that is hitched to a die cast hand plow and is currently on top of my bird feeder pole. I'll turn your Clydes out with them, thank you very much, and maybe we'll get some foals for our trouble. Put the road service signs on the roller today, but can't get the lights to work, must be a different voltage on the teams?? I've got a four horse hitch coming up for Mar with the sun tan kids, no teasers just wait for it. The roller has to get done first, and then I'll need a payday again to fund this extravagant life style that we have all become accustomed to. I really should get back to the little people, Collectas they are fun and don't have such large needs and a lot more of them fit on a shelf for my displays. Wagon-on,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Loren

champagnehorses
02-21-2017, 08:08 AM
I have never seen or heard of the snow rollers before!! That is seriously really neat!

papaone1
02-21-2017, 12:07 PM
I know, I'm from Wisconsin and I never heard of them either. Eleda is from Maine so it must be a New Englander thing, Ay-yuh!. :-)

Zexious
02-21-2017, 06:22 PM
Love the Appy mare!
Looks like you're just as blessed in the art of 'regular' tack making as you are for making harnesses!

papaone1
02-21-2017, 07:55 PM
OK sports fans you have been sitting here quietly waiting for the much heralded" SNOW ROLLER " so here is my rendition and you'll notice there is a 2+2 hitch, and yes the longhorn oxen are Breyer critters, and 2 rescued horses from the mountains of Maine.152879152880152881152882152883 I'm guessing they'll get the job done with no bull, Wait there will be bull, nevermind. Next time you sit and chat with Eleda, be sure to thank her for the challenge. Wagon -on,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Loren

papaone1
02-21-2017, 07:57 PM
And also here is an early semi hauler, you don't need a CDL for this rig but you must be a teamster.152884152884152885

champagnehorses
02-21-2017, 09:31 PM
:clap:clap:clap

papaone1
03-02-2017, 05:26 AM
Meet Angus, Fergus, & Liam, who started life as hard plastic fixtures on lighting fixtures, but have since graduated to an time honored life as the noble draft animals they are. Not the most beautiful creatures in creation but handsome and happy in their profession.153372153373 These 3 were wandering around in a useless limbo until they were rescued by Eleda from the heavenly hills of Maine, and now they have a chance to do what Clydesdales do best, even better than selling beer. Wagon-on,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Loren

Zexious
03-02-2017, 11:31 AM
^Love!
These cuties look much happier pulling than they I assume they did as lighting fixtures! Thanks for sharing!!

papaone1
03-02-2017, 12:50 PM
Good Morning, I'd like to introduce Bart & Chester , who are heavy-duty Belgian draft horses. Eleda thought the previous lead team looked a little light for the lead on the snow roller, and I must admit they did look like they were just trying to avoid those horns. So as to not provoke the Mountain gods I added these guys for a real boost in horsepower. I admit Eleda may have been right on this one. What do you think?153382153383153384
For those of you who have been following my meanderings you may notice I added a provenance for the original snow roller with a mixed team, thanks again to Eleda for sharing those with us. Now I'll have to find a new vocation for the previous lead team so stay tuned for the next update. Thanks

papaone1
03-02-2017, 09:48 PM
OK I know you were all wondering what would happen to Peso & Dollar after the big snow roller break up, well I am happy to announce that they have found gainful employment as the brand new horsepower units for the ole red ranch wagon. This was before combustion engine pick ups, before Chevy and Ford. This was the way to go back then153413153414
And for clarity Peso is the blond one and Dollar ain't, they seem much happier here and don't have to worry about those horns anymore. I've got more horses waiting so back to work.. Thanks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Loren

papaone1
03-04-2017, 09:05 AM
Today I take the opportunity to introduce Beauty ( the black) & Chance ( not the black) pulling an ambulance that usually transported at least 4 and often more stretcher cases behind the front lines to obtain medical aid, and we thank them for their service. These types of ambulance were in use until the end of WW1 when automotive ones took over. They are unsung heroes of all of the battles they participated in. Not very widely published stories must be remembered when we tell of military events in days gone by. I would imagine the horses in service had a high mortality rate and were usually just forgotten. 153446153447153448

papaone1
03-05-2017, 01:02 PM
This is "Lobo" and he is pictured in my rendition of a Pony Express horse. The 4 compartment bag is called a "Mochilla" which is Spanish for bag. It was thrown over the saddle and held in place by the weight of the rider. Young skinny men under 18 yrs of age were encouraged to become riders for $25.00 a month. Orphans were preferred. They had to ride in all types of weather and adversity. They advertised delivery from St Louis to Sacramento in 10 days, not guaranteed. The completion of the trans continental telegraph signaled the end of the need for the Pony Express 153480153481:blueflower

redsixwing
03-06-2017, 12:37 PM
Wow, cool!

Your tack is getting better and better. :D

papaone1
03-06-2017, 07:22 PM
Thank you

Eleda
03-15-2017, 05:48 PM
I love reading your descriptions almost as much as seeing your work! Haven't heard anything in a while... I hope all is well and more neat creations are in progress!

papaone1
03-24-2017, 11:20 AM
Here you go, you asked and you shall receive,. Remember way back when Mary asked about a "Callash"? Well here is my version shown with a matched team of black Fresians. A little better class than a taxi and suspended on a heavy leather strap system consisting of two hangars called thorough braces, Each of these required several ox hides to construct.154351154352154353 In England this type vehicle was called a Victoria. The callash was in service in a four wheeled version with a team and a two wheeled version usually with a single horse. You could find this type of transport in most larger cities in the 1800's and early 1900's before the US became attached to motor vehicles. And before smog the biggest problem was horse apples on the streets ,but hey that was good for growing corn in your garden. No such luck with smog!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Loren

Eleda
03-24-2017, 04:07 PM
I see more details in every creation. I love the leather suspension on this one, and I see the back of the driver's seat is attached with metal brackets.

Road apples were also good for throwing at squeamish boys... Or maybe that was just a personal thing. ;-)

papaone1
03-25-2017, 02:55 PM
Squeamish boys ???? Really Eleda??? You must have done things a little differently there in your younger generation. My generation had very masculine young men and the girls were squeamish, if memory serves.

papaone1
03-25-2017, 06:58 PM
OK here is a pretty little team of Dartmoor ponies with a small racing wagon. OK I know he is bigger but he is a stallion and the pretty little paint is a mare, but that does not affect the beauty of the team.154390154391 His name is Duke and her name is Duchess and they love to play in the pasture as much as they love racing, happy and energetic , all the time. A fun little pair for all seasons. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Loren :blueflower

papaone1
03-27-2017, 05:01 PM
And while we are doing ponies, here is my latest addition. A four up Shetland pony racing hitch and they look like they are going all out to win. The racing cart is a back to back version. OK If a Vis-à-vis is French for face to face, then that would make this one a Dos-a-Dos, or back to back right? Just checking154437154438154439
This one took some time and effort because of the small scale involved and at time was an exercise in patience. But we all made it to completion:blueflower:bow:blueflower

papaone1
03-28-2017, 08:07 PM
OK Now for an evening out on the town we hail a Hansom cab to take us to the opera house or maybe out for dinner and dancing. Put on your formal ball gown and I'll dust off the silk hat and shine my spats and don my tails and away we go. This is a Suffolk punch mare and her name is Shelia. These cabs could be found in almost every town and city , and were a easy way to get where ever you needed to be.154478154479154480
A handsome combination (pun intended):blueflower

redsixwing
03-29-2017, 09:48 AM
It's so interesting to see all the different wagons. I don't know much about all the different styles, but there's so much variety! :D Thanks for continuing to post these!

papaone1
03-29-2017, 08:51 PM
You are very welcome,

papaone1
03-29-2017, 08:58 PM
Here is the team of the day. A lovely team of shire mares hitched to a Civil war era cannon and limber. A lot of horses were killed doing this duty because both sides figured out early on that a horse was an easier target to hit with a musket. And if you took out the team well the cannon wasn't much good with out a means of transportation. These girls are for parade duty only and the cannon won't fire. Passed along for your enjoyment154519154520154521

RockingJ
04-07-2017, 06:26 PM
papaone1, I have finally taken some time to peruse this thread, and amazing!! Your creations and stories are wonderful! I am excited to see what else will appear here!

papaone1
04-12-2017, 01:09 PM
OK Here is the latest addition to my on-going offering to the equine herd at my house. This is called a Unicorn hitch ( for obvious reasons). I have a grey Percheron stud in front and a Tinker mare and stud in double. Obviously a lot of flash and sass in this teaming, would probably place in the show ring or at least I think they would, but I am no doubt predjudiced. Hitches like this are usually seen in horse shows and parades and are crowd pleasers where ever they are. Thanks for your support everyone,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Loren:blueflower

papaone1
04-13-2017, 06:03 PM
And for today I offer a 2 wheel cab also known as a "Callash" in a smaller 1 horse version from the earlier one I posted. Up front in this hitch is a very fancy Percheron gelding. These cabs were as popular as the yellow cabs today in larger cities on the US east coast. The horses led hard and usually short lives due to accidents, being underfed and under watered and they also suffered from over exposure to the heat and cold conditions. When the cabby got cold or too hot he would duck into the closest gin mill or pub , to warm up or cool off or just to spend his last fare, while the horse waited outside. Not a good place to be a draft horse back then. I'll assure all of you this gelding does not want for any comforts and he is always cared for. All for now , time to feed the horses,155127155128

papaone1
04-14-2017, 08:16 PM
And in keeping with the modern age of transportation here is Trolley # 9. A pair of nice geldings, a big Clydesdale and a super Shire to furnish all the horsepower needed to get you there. Ride to the end of the line for 50 cents, or other stops for a dime. Plenty of clean ,comfortable , seats are available and be sure to tip your kind and friendly brakeman. A fun way to travel from yester year155165155166155167155168

Eleda
04-16-2017, 08:03 PM
We still had trolley tracks in Portland until the 90's. I often wish I'd had a chance to experience a horse-drawn trolley, although it wasn't the most pleasant of jobs for the horses. Yours look well-fed and cared-for, though! I'd be happy ride downtown behind that team.

papaone1
04-29-2017, 05:09 PM
OK I know this is a little off the beaten wagon road, but for those of you whoa are wondering, "What is that crazy ole galoot doing now?" here is what I am doing. This is a small wood sleigh that I estimate to be over 100 years old. My great grandfather built it originally ,with assistance from his brother in law who was the local black smith. Grandpa like using this sleigh to bring wood in for the cook stove, because it held enough to fill the wood box. Then it discontinued service and became a lawn ornament and /planter. Well the years of weather took it's toll and this is where I came in. I'm going to show before during and after photos. Thanks for bearing with me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Loren1556851556861556871556881556 89

Zexious
04-29-2017, 11:30 PM
Very cool!
It's so awesome to see you breathe life into this piece! Thanks so much for sharing!

papaone1
04-30-2017, 06:48 AM
You are most welcome.

papaone1
05-02-2017, 12:20 PM
155842155843 Here is an update to the old wood sleigh re-build. I had some planed boards left over so I added a split rail flare board to the box so now we can haul even more wood.

papaone1
05-02-2017, 12:26 PM
Here is a Belgian on the ole stone boat getting ready to clear some stones from the field before planting. I know there are farms around here where they built fences, barn foundations and basements for homes all with field stone. When the farmers used to pick field stone they couldn't give them away and now the same stones are a multi million dollar industry for home décor and fireplaces and patios. All from the same material, where is the justice?? Have a great day!155844155845155846:blueflower

papaone1
05-11-2017, 01:56 PM
:blueflowerNext up is Miss Sheba, a buckskin molly mule and she is hitched to a cane cart, or maybe a sorghum cart. My grandfather used to use one of these to haul hogs at cattle and calves with a gate in the back. Not for heavy loads but for light and bulky loads like sugar cane , sorghum, or even loose hay. Could even be left out in the pasture with hay on it to become a mobile feeder. and that was how they usually got broken cause hungry stock have no table manners156263156264156265 Many of these animals did not need a driver but were used with voice commands and they got quite good at their jobs after a while doing them. Step up, whoa, gee, haw and so and so forth. Thanks for looking,,,,,,,,,,,Loren

CcOxidase
05-13-2017, 06:15 AM
Thank you for posting all these carts and wagons...I'm learning so much! :)

papaone1
05-13-2017, 04:31 PM
You are welcome, and it's fun to do too.

papaone1
05-13-2017, 04:41 PM
Ok here we have a handsome Appaloosa stallion hitched to an everyday dray cart. You can haul just about anything in 'em, potatoes, tomatoes, carrots, apples , milk, cheeses or even a can of milk if you have extra. Many farmers would use a similar cart to haul produce to market because it didn't take up so much room and was much easier to maneuver in the crowded markets. Did you ever try to turn a team and wagon around in tight corners? Some times it is down right difficult or even next to impossible156352156353156354 And after you sold all your produce you could reload with groceries or feed and maybe something extra for Ma on Mother's day. How about one of those new fangled contraptions to make her life easier? Come on ,you know what she needs and likes, go ahead and splurge a little. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Loren

Eleda
05-15-2017, 08:29 AM
Loren,

I can't decide which I enjoy more - Your ever-increasing wagonsmithing skills or your stories that go along with each one! Both make me smile every time.:blueflower

papaone1
05-15-2017, 04:03 PM
Thanks Eleda, here is my four up Landau carriage. Usually favored by the well to do for showing off what they were wearing at the height of fashion. A much better vehicle because of the high visibility of the passenger area. The gals all decked out with whale bone corset, long 1000 button dresses complete with a bustle, and high button shoes and of course the ever popular ax handle wide bonnet with feathers and ribbons from Paris France. Some landaus were enclosed except for the driver he sat out on the high box in all kinds of weather. Note my carriage has the new thoroughbrace suspension which offered a much better ride for the passengers but was designed with the horses in mind to take some of the vehicle shock to prevent injury to the teams. Of course if you owned a Landau you of course had to have a fine team or two just to really show off best. A series of photos this time , 1st unhitched, 2nd, 1st team hitched, and 3rd , the second team in place and we are ready to take the "airs" in the park. Shine your spats and dust off the old top hat and away we go,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Loren156414156415 156416156417156418

papaone1
05-15-2017, 04:06 PM
156419156420Thanks Eleda, here is my four up Landau carriage. Usually favored by the well to do for showing off what they were wearing at the height of fashion. A much better vehicle because of the high visibility of the passenger area. The gals all decked out with whale bone corset, long 1000 button dresses complete with a bustle, and high button shoes and of course the ever popular ax handle wide bonnet with feathers and ribbons from Paris France. Some landaus were enclosed except for the driver he sat out on the high box in all kinds of weather. Note my carriage has the new thoroughbrace suspension which offered a much better ride for the passengers but was designed with the horses in mind to take some of the vehicle shock to prevent injury to the teams. Of course if you owned a Landau you of course had to have a fine team or two just to really show off best. A series of photos this time , 1st unhitched, 2nd, 1st team hitched, and 3rd , the second team in place and we are ready to take the "airs" in the park. Shine your spats and dust off the old top hat and away we go,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Loren156414156415 156416156417156418

papaone1
05-15-2017, 04:08 PM
And more photos156421156422

June
05-15-2017, 04:13 PM
Beautiful job. Keep up the great work.

papaone1
05-16-2017, 05:20 AM
Thank you !

papaone1
05-19-2017, 12:52 PM
Here today we are proud to introduce Buck & Barb modeling this springs new line of show harness and hitched to a flare sided farm hitch wagon. Buck & Barb are rescue animals and are very happy to have productive careers again. Buck recently underwent tail re-attachment surgery , performed by leading equine surgeon Dr. Ima Mazinn, DVM, BS. When Buck arrived he only had enough tail to cover his modesty and now thanks to this talented Dr. he will be able to grow a full broom by summer's end. Thanks Dr. Mazinn. The wagon is a flare side hitch wagon and is able to haul almost any thing your lil pea pickin heart desires. 156567156568156569

papaone1
05-26-2017, 04:27 PM
Ok, this may not be seasonally correct but here it is anyway. This is a depiction of harvesting ice for homes for the "ice box". Yes this is where that term came from. People used to harvest ice from lakes and rivers in the winter time by sawing out blocks or slabs of ice, then load them on a sled or wagon and transport them to a ice house. This was usually a shed or barn where the ice was unloaded, stacked, and covered with sawdust to insulate it With proper care and covering this ice could last well into mid-summer. Then the blocks were loaded onto an ice wagon and delivered to homes and used to keep food fresh and cool. The larger the stack of harvested ice the longer it would last, and blocks were the preferred shape because it aided in the stacking. Remember stacking blocks when you were a child? Same process, Cool156904156905156906156907156908

papaone1
05-29-2017, 09:15 AM
Just in time for the big parade downtown, here is a jaunting cart or gig from the British isles. Often used where the roads weren't real great and were some times crooked and hilly, this could take Mum to town for a bit o shopping, or the kids to violin lessons, or maybe even Da to the pub. What the heck the horse knew the way home right? Pictured is a rescue horse , Man O War, who came to me with a broken leg. Thanks to Dr. Ima Mazinn who reattached the leg and MOW now only has a slight scar and is ready for action again156974156975156976 Here 's hoping all of you have a safe and happy weekend, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Loren

redsixwing
05-29-2017, 10:46 AM
Ah, how cute! I love the red upholstery in that one.

Zexious
05-29-2017, 05:02 PM
papaone -- What a stunning piece!
Did you use a particular reference? I'd love to see it!

papaone1
05-31-2017, 07:48 AM
I use any reference I can find. If you like to search try Kulp Model Horses, and Duncans wagons from OK. These two are true artists in the minature wagon and vehicles field. I am just a poor hack compared to them, but I don't sell mine either, just do this for something other than sitting on the couch and getting fatter. I am retired and disabled and this puts my time to better use. Thanks for looking,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Loren

papaone1
05-31-2017, 07:56 AM
OK here is todays offering. This is a pair of draft Haflingers and they are hitched to an Omnibus. Omnibus' were used to haul people and or freight from the rail station to the down town areas, like the hotel or the merchants place of business. If you ever saw the Eastwood movie "The Unforgiven" you would have seen English Bob and his writer ride to the hotel in one. Kind of like a stagecoach but without all the comforts and a bit more open air. 157125157126157127157128157129

Zexious
05-31-2017, 09:43 AM
I love it, as always! I especially like the stud-detailing on the Haflinger's harnesses.
Keep up the great work! And thank you for sharing!!

papaone1
06-05-2017, 03:40 PM
Thanks for watching:blueflower

papaone1
06-05-2017, 03:44 PM
OK I put these guys up earlier but just for Eleda I Put them together diorama style, gave them their own shelf and proved that I can't paint worth a damn either, Oh Well! I hope you enjoy.157337157338157339

papaone1
06-08-2017, 08:46 PM
And in keeping with ice harvesting, here are a couple of sleighs that I made while waiting for a shipment of horses. I know it's not winter yet, but when it does come again I'll be ready. You've gotta love summer in Wisconsin, if I recall correctly, last year it was on a Thursday. And besides these are fun to make and a lower degree of difficulty, 157529157530157531157532157533 All for now,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Loren

pennylanestables
06-10-2017, 10:19 PM
I think that diorama with the ponies and the ice harvesting equipment looks great! It's a very nice scene.

papaone1
06-12-2017, 08:52 AM
157683I added a tree because I could and it looked kind of empty there.

papaone1
06-12-2017, 09:00 AM
Here are some Lakeland horses that were sent to me for rescue. They were incarcerated in a bubble pak for almost 50 yrs. I am happy to report they have been set free and are doing well breathing fresh air and having green pastures under hoof again. They have just come out of a fresh re-paint and now look a lot more like horses than toys from China. I was a little worried after that long term imprisonment that they might be a little stiff or lame ,but they responded extremely well and were cantering, prancing, and rolling in the grass almost immediately after release157684157685

papaone1
06-15-2017, 03:41 PM
OK you have seen the cosmetic overhaul ,now here is their new career opportunity. They are now a 4up hitch, ready for show, or parades, or just for the fun of driving. They are very much happy after being cooped up so long, and act and drive like a set of 2 yr olds.157824157825157826157827If you look closely the Appaloosas now have face marking. Just a little addition for show and go.

papaone1
06-19-2017, 06:43 AM
Here are a couple of quickies for your enjoyment. The little blonde, Amelia, is all dressed up for the parade and the big guy , Midnight, is off to the races. These are all part of a vanishing era, now young people are into videos and phones, and don't much care for these events. I can still remember when our local race track at the fair ground had trotters and the introduction had a palomino with a girl rider and the American flag. Now that fair ground is closed and became local business and parking lot. All part of our history now.158010158011158012158013

papaone1
06-19-2017, 07:15 PM
OK for today's chores we have a lovely pair of ladies, a grey Shire mare , and a white Percheron mare, and they are hitched to a forecart which allows us to use tractor drawn equipment, just like this disc harrow. They will make short work of tilling your garden after you have harvested all your crops. The disc is designed to cut up trash and incorporate it into the soil for valuable mulch. Many a farm boy used to spend hours trying to stay awake while riding the sulky seat behind the quiet giants. Don't fall asleep though, there is no seat belt and to fall off could be dangerous.158027158028158029158030 This pair will make short work of even the longest rows , and they look good doing it

Eleda
06-21-2017, 07:47 AM
I love all the new additions. That ice house diorama will be much sought-after by local history groups, I think. It's a lot more fun to teach and learn about history while looking at dioramas than text books or black and white photos, though both have their place, of course.

It has been suggested that Papa1 should create a coffee table book with photos of these different hitches and his great story-telling to go with them. I'm all for it!

papaone1
06-21-2017, 06:43 PM
Well Eleda caught me again, some times I think if not for her I wouldn't get any thing right. She correctly informed me that Midnight here needs an entry number so she would know who to bet on. Here you go158129

juliacodeman
06-21-2017, 10:53 PM
I love this thread, I am really enjoying the beautiful carts and the horses! Thanks for posting these-I have never heard of some of the carts so this is very interesting also. I have some of these models and boy do they look great hitched up!

papaone1
06-22-2017, 06:40 PM
Thank you, I enjoy sharing these with everyone here.

papaone1
06-24-2017, 03:42 PM
Now for today here is a solution doe what to do with your old race horses. These two are hitched to a grain binder. A grain binder would cut the grain stalks and bundle them and then lay them on the ground. Next you and all your kids, and your wife and in laws, and anybody else you could find would have to go out to the field and stack all the bundles in a "shock" to finish drying before going to the threshing machine. Hot , dirty, back breaking labor. And you thought the horses did all the hard work right? :-) Notice the tongue is supported by a set of wheels called a truck wheel to carry most of the weight of the machine, so the horses didn't have the extra weight.158234158235158236 All for now.:blueflower

papaone1
06-26-2017, 05:22 PM
OK today we have a lovely pair of shire mares and they are hooked to a David Bradley 2 row corn planter. Never heard of DB ? Well he was a plowman and sold his company to Sears & Roebuck, and they sold his line of machinery by mail order. And this was way before Amazon.com, and unlike Amazon.com Sears would send catalogs and they often served a utility purpose in out houses all across America. Do you remember the wish book at Christmas time, I do. My grandfather had a DB 2 row planter that he converted to a 3 point hitch and planted corn with an 8N Ford tractor for many years158325158326

papaone1
06-27-2017, 01:37 PM
158339158340OK the other day we saw the grain binder in action, well now a week or so later the grain has dried sufficiently to haul to the threshing machine I do it with a 4 up hitch of Breyer G1 drafters hitched to a flat rack. I had to go small with this to match the scale of the John Deere 1938 threshing machine, powered by a 1915 Waterloo Boy tractor by JD , and putting the grain into a 1931 Hawkeye 2 1/2 Ton truck from Sioux City Iowa. Eleda doubted my sanity when I inquired about Little Breyer drafters, but now you know why, and I think it turned out OK.158336158337158338158336

Schnauzer
06-27-2017, 04:30 PM
OMG, this is such a fun thread to view. Thanks so much for sharing your amazing collection.
Ann

papaone1
06-28-2017, 05:06 AM
You are entirely welcome.

papaone1
07-05-2017, 08:15 AM
158667158666Well as you all know horses eat a lot of hay, a lot! So today I built one of those new fangled modern stationary hay balers to help streamline that process. Before modern balers were towed to the hay we had to cut the hay, take the hay, load the hay (loose stack), haul the hay to the baler, load the baler, load the bales , haul the bales, stack the bales, feed the bales, and if that wasn't enough work you still had to haul out the manure. Wow I'm exhausted just typing it! Most of the early balers tied with wire, thanks to the engineer who invented the mechanical knotters. The team is Queen & Sheba who were featured earlier here and were brought back to haul hay, after all they eat too158665158665

papaone1
07-06-2017, 08:28 AM
OK, I'm sure somebody was wondering, how does that old guy get the hay to feed that stationary baler? Well your query is about to be answered. You would use a hay loader of course. This machine would be towed behind a wagon and straddle a row of raked hay and lift it to the wagon bed. One or two people would then stack it by hand, but you had to keep moving because once that hay started coming over the back standard it resembled a green waterfall and if you don't keep up you may be drowning in hay. A slow walking team would be ideal for this job, much like this handsome pair of Clydesdale geldings. It was a hot, dirty, and sweaty job, but it improved your appetite and you'd sleep great158727158728158729

papaone1
07-08-2017, 11:23 AM
158834158833Well as long as we are going to make hay here is the side delivery rake used to make those long seemingly endless rows of hay down the length of the field. A nice way to spend your summer morning , quietly driving around and around the field, kicking out those long rows of sweet smelling hay. Be sure you don't doze off and keep those rows straight. And what could be nicer than this handsome colorful pair of Clydesdale geldings, after all appearances do count, and what better way to show off than with a flashy pair like this? Usually a good job for that teenager who eats like a horse and doesn't quite keep up to the adults in the field.158832158832

papaone1
07-17-2017, 02:34 PM
Well this morning I went out to the corral and there were no horses available in sight anywhere, and Petunia wanted to go for a ride so I had to resort to Plan B. This is an Acme Steam Engine Co, Model 1A, and yes this is the same company that manufactures and proudly supplies Wiley E. Coyote. Insert a smile or two here.160004

papaone1
07-24-2017, 12:49 PM
160443160444OK today I am offering a very nice pair of Clydesdale geldings hitched to a road grader. These were quite common when all our roads were gravel, and the local townships were usually responsible for grading roads inside the town boundaries. Usually roads were graded twice during the summer or more often if there was a lot of rain. I'm wondering if maybe I should add a pair of umbrellas for the driver and operator to stay out of the sun. What do you think?160442 I loosely copied a model of an Austin road grader, which were mfg.in Chicago Ill from 1895 to 1901 when they merged with Western grader which is still producing graders today. I don't think they make a horse drawn one anymore,,, Have a great summer!

Zexious
07-24-2017, 09:35 PM
Stunning work, as always!!
Thank you for sharing, papaone!

papaone1
07-26-2017, 05:04 AM
Thank you and you are very welcome.:blueflower

papaone1
07-27-2017, 09:08 PM
OK we have gone through plowing, discing, planting, making hay and all the other ones , so it makes sense that we will have to harvest that corn, so I have fabricated a corn binder and hitched it to a nice pair of Clydesdale geldings. This machine would cut and bundle and lay them on the ground. Then would come the shocking, which means standing the bundles up in a shock to dry. Then we have to load the bundles on a flat wagon and haul them to a silo filler and pitch then in , by hand, and chop them up and blow this up into a silo, where it becomes silage. The silo fillers were usually belt driven and powered by a stationary tractor160601160602160603

papaone1
07-28-2017, 07:37 PM
160649160650160648OK These pretty Belgians started out as very scuffed up rescue horses on E-Bay, I bid on them ( the only bid) shipped em to my house and gave them a re-do. Now they are a palomino pair (the label on the paint read Khaki) and this is how they turned out. I kind of like them like that. The wagon is a modified hitch in Triple Mountain Green , with the very sporty orange wheels160648 This is a fun kind of go anywhere , do anything kind of team and wagon, so have a fun weekend!

papaone1
07-31-2017, 09:23 PM
OK Here are a beautiful matched team of sorrel Belgian gelding hitched to a 1 row sulky cultivator. I used to do this when I was but a lad and let me tell you the hardest part was staying awake. It was a very good thing that the horses were experienced and could stay on the row by themselves, or I'da got a whuppin for tearing out corn. Ehen we switched over to a tractor mounted cultivator it was very much harder to stay on a row when you were asleep, and if that wasn't bad enough I took out 2 rows instead of just 1 with a tractor. Yep those were the good old days alright, cause I wasn't so good and I damned sure wasn't so old160849160850160851 Have a great day and Wagon-on

papaone1
08-01-2017, 12:41 PM
I went down to the rail depot yesterday and picked up my brand new Acme #1 grain drill, been waiting for the durn thing for 6 months. So I hitched up the Appaloosa team and I'm heading out to sow some winter wheat on the back 40 out beyond that old red oak tree. Then when I get done with that I think I'm going to see the eye doctor cause every time I look up I see spots in front of me "-)160860160861160862

papaone1
08-07-2017, 05:18 AM
Here is another must have machine from the wonderful folks at Acme Mfg. Today we showcase the new and much improved Acme #1 Mechanical potato digger/harvester. Just imagine no more backbreaking forking over those potato hills, just seat yourself on the contoured seat behind your favorite team and go. Picture today we have the team of Cream & Coffee doing the honors of our maiden voyage of this harvest marvel.. There will be fresh raw fried taters tonight.161055161056161057

Eleda
08-07-2017, 07:59 AM
I love a lot of threads on Blab, but this is definitely my favorite! It's fun, it's creative, and I love learning about different horse-drawn vehicles. Being raised in the country, I've seen versions of a few of these here and there, but mostly rusting in fields and barns now, and I didn't learn much from seeing them sitting there rusting. Your write-ups about each one bring the whole scene to life. I don't always comment here because I'm privileged to be on Loren's growing mailing list to receive pictures as they're built, but every once in a while, I come in here and read through a whole bunch at once because it reads like a book (a book with awesome pictures) and lots of horses.

Mary, I'm SO glad you started this forum! Thank you!

And everyone: I understand Loren just bought himself a shiny belt and disc sander, which means we could start seeing even fancier, curvy vehicles in the future. Can you believe he's been at this less than a year???

Faracat
08-07-2017, 08:52 AM
Wonderful thread! I love how you are giving beat up model horses a new job. :D

Zexious
08-07-2017, 09:48 AM
What a great little rig!
Coffee and cream are just the cutest ;)!

papaone1
08-07-2017, 05:17 PM
Thanks to all for your encouraging words, this gives my work some meaning. My kids all think I may have started going around the bend, and they are actively looking for a elder care facility where they promise to beat the residents daily, and when they find one I'm out the door :blueflowerJust kidding, I think?? Anyway here is one of Eleda's favorite things because she is lucky enough to live up Nort, and they sometimes have little dustings of fresh white powder snow, and now rather than having to go out with her blow dryer, she can jump on this modern time saving device, The Acme #1 horse drawn snow plow, with a team of good looking horses to take her up and down the tiny hills where she lives , to clear a path for the working class people to get to and safely from work. I remember doing this years ago and it wasn't bad when the snow was fresh, but after some damn fool who couldn't wait rutted it all up, it became much more difficult to clear. I remember one year we started out with 2x12 for planks and by spring we were down to 2x6s.161080161081 I know it's not winter yet but don't kid yourself, it will be here before you know it, so why wait

Eleda
08-09-2017, 03:43 PM
Why wait is right. You don't want to be outside building one of those when it's ten below with a 20mph wind blowing ice into your face. Get the equipment built and tuned up now! (Well, maybe wait til evening when the temps drop a bit. Boy, we've gotten picky about temperatures in this modern era.)

These V-plow drags have been a common site up here in the not-too-distant past, because they're simple to build with what you have around, so every farmer and logger had one. Yup, they wear down on gravel roads fast, but it's easy to simply replace the big timbers and go again.

I'm still on the hunt for a Friesian for you, and hope to get one out to you very soon for that "mystery project" you're working on!

papaone1
08-09-2017, 08:13 PM
Most Excellent Eleda, in the meantime here is a smaller scale Sjees with the traditional Friesian team in Collecta size. This is for those of you are asking "What in the heck is a "Sjees" ?, it is a type of carriage from the Netherlands. They were designed to be offset to the right and mounted from the left. and they were almost always drawn by one or two Friesian horses. A black horse or team would be really striking when dressed in colored harness, as I humbly tried to do here with tan leather. The flower vase is optional and of course seasonal. Thanks for looking ,,,,,,,,,,,, Loren161166161167161168

papaone1
08-12-2017, 02:43 PM
161311161312Here are some trim updates to the Sjees. I guess this is now Model 1A from the Acme Netherland line.

papaone1
08-14-2017, 04:49 PM
Today we offer a Dun Highland pony hitched to an ore cart. Ponies were often used for mining because of their superior strength and small size. It was a very hard life for these little workers, and life expectancy was only half of a normal horse. Conditions were dirty, poorly ventilated, dark, mine shafts underground for the most part, and if a horse was injured he could wind up as table fare for the miners. 161356161357161358 This little dun will never see underground, and I promise not to eat him, ever, but he will remind us of this part of world history

papaone1
08-21-2017, 10:08 AM
OK todays offering is some vehicles that were overlooked when I started on The Blab, but were all ready completed161637161638161640161641161642

papaone1
08-21-2017, 10:13 AM

Zexious
08-21-2017, 10:15 AM
Stunning work, as usual!

papaone1
08-21-2017, 03:24 PM
Thank you

papaone1
08-30-2017, 07:26 PM
OK Here is a formal "Sjees" from the Netherlands and propelled by a Friesian stallion. You will also notice that Megan Breyer is driving and she is formally dressed in tails and a top hat ready for dressage. This vehicle is perched on leather thoroughbraces and is off set to the right. The driver always sits on the left in a Sjees and a formally dressed woman would sit on the right in the seat of honor. We are all ready for the show circuit, or even a Labor Day Parade. Have a safe and fun weekend, before you are ready it will be winter again.161999162000162001

papaone1
09-02-2017, 08:21 AM
Ok today for this holiday weekend I'm sharing this 2 wheel gig with a handsome Arab gelding up front. Plenty of sass and class for your drive through town or down a country lane. The gig is a 2 wheeled cart that does all your utility chores and errands that do not require the team and wagon. Skip on down to the market or drop the kids at school, pick up Grandma at the rail depot, what ever needs doing and you'll look good and have fun doing it162077162078162079 Have a great weekend ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Loren

Faracat
09-02-2017, 08:28 AM
They're great! :)

papaone1
09-02-2017, 11:19 AM
Thank You.

papaone1
09-02-2017, 11:23 AM
Here is a rig I built earlier when Mary asked what a "callash " was but I put a team of Collectas out front and didn't like the scale so I went larger and single and I think this is a better match.162090162091162092

Zexious
09-02-2017, 06:46 PM
He's a gorgeous fit!
As always, thanks for sharing!

papaone1
09-03-2017, 11:35 AM
Thank You

papaone1
09-03-2017, 11:41 AM
Here is a tribute from early primitive harness history. I bought this odd sized mustang and then I had to come up with something unique for such a good looking animal, so with thanks to the plains Tribes of our Native Americans I offer this example. Only real drawback was the sometimes addition of horse apples to your load of goods. :-) This was the original off road experience mainly because there were no roads.162126162127162128

Zexious
09-03-2017, 01:30 PM
What a fitting horse :)
I envy how much you accomplish!!

papaone1
09-03-2017, 07:48 PM
Well here is a custom request, a lady from Pa. asked me to build a reindeer sleigh similar to those in Lapland, because she love all things deer as well as horses and she even furnished me a reindeer. So I did some research and this is what happened. The sleighs are usually flat bottomed on runners and you would sit on furs and the backs and sides are leather straps which very probably came from reindeer also.162150162151162152I know it's not horses but it is harness and vehicle. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

papaone1
09-04-2017, 08:04 PM
OK for this weekend offering I bring you a 4 up working hitch with the ever ready Shetland pony. Pound for pound one of the strongest of all the equine breeds. And they are friendly, willing, nimble and very versatile. This is a utility wagon for hauling durn near anything. If you can load it they will haul it, and they only eat half of what it takes to propel a heavy draft horse. An all around good deal and fun and good looking too.162195162196162197

papaone1
09-05-2017, 08:40 PM
Now to add an international flavor to the mix ,here is my version of a Russian Troika. Troika means 3 of them, 3 men , 3 horses, whatever. It is an open sled pulled by 3 horses and you had better dress warmly, cause this ride could get a mite chilly. The Russians don't wear those fur coats and hats just to be fashionable, while driving in Siberia in winter. Does any one know the reason for the hoop over the center horse in photos during research? I don' know if it has a purpose or is merely ornamental, so help me out if you can. Thanks162225162226162227 I am going to try to smith a hoop tomorrow and if successful I'll add a photo, but I'm not , making any promises one way or the other.

papaone1
09-06-2017, 07:49 AM
Here is an addition to the Troika, I still don't know what purpose it serves but now it has a Hoop as pictured in my research photos. One item that was mentioned was that in this type of hitch the horses could move at different gaits. The center horse could trot while the outer horse could canter, interesting. I used to have a team that performed like that, one had a bone jarring mile eating trot, while the other always used to canter to keep up and they were never together in strides.162234

Beethovens7th
09-06-2017, 08:47 AM
Now to add an international flavor to the mix ,here is my version of a Russian Troika. Troika means 3 of them, 3 men , 3 horses, whatever. It is an open sled pulled by 3 horses and you had better dress warmly, cause this ride could get a mite chilly. The Russians don't wear those fur coats and hats just to be fashionable, while driving in Siberia in winter. Does any one know the reason for the hoop over the center horse in photos during research? I don' know if it has a purpose or is merely ornamental, so help me out if you can. Thanks162225162226162227 I am going to try to smith a hoop tomorrow and if successful I'll add a photo, but I'm not , making any promises one way or the other.

This is neat! Yeah, i know it is very chilly there and you need to dress warmly, but what of the horses? Do they work so hard pulling that they do not need blankets?

Zexious
09-06-2017, 02:50 PM
^Something like a quarter sheet would be perfect, and not difficult to make! <3

Thanks for sharing, papaone!
This is one of my favorite pieces so far.

papaone1
09-06-2017, 08:55 PM
We can blanket the horses when they stop, if you were to blanket them while they are working they will overheat.

papaone1
09-06-2017, 09:02 PM
Eleda came to the rescue again in regards to the hoop. It is called a shaft bow and it takes the strain when starting a load, kind of like a spring or shock absorber. It is a common sight in the Baltic states and almost non existent in the US. Most are hand bent and tend to straighten out when not in use so the ends are tied together for storing.

papaone1
09-07-2017, 02:03 PM
Here is an earlier build of a 2 wheeled callash that I had hitched to a 162277 162279 Collecta and now I've updated to a happy classic. I'm thinking he has found his place in life, and he is looking very pleased with himself.

Beethovens7th
09-07-2017, 04:33 PM
Here is an earlier build of a 2 wheeled callash that I had hitched to a 162277 162279 Collecta and now I've updated to a happy classic. I'm thinking he has found his place in life, and he is looking very pleased with himself.

LOVE! i'm pleased with him, too, and his callash! :wow

papaone1
09-07-2017, 07:29 PM
OK because we are getting ready for the winter snowfalls here is a beautiful pair of dapple grays hitched to t a 2 seat cutter. This was the way to get around in winter way back when horsepower came from actual horses. I can remember one of these when I was a boy and it sat and rotted away in grandpas granary. He said he and grandma used to go sparking in that cutter, what ever that was? Before my time for sure.162296162297162298 OK can you just imagine riding in that cutter on a winter's eve, not too cold or windy , and 6 inches of new fallen powder snow. There is just some thing kind of wonderful about making the first set of tracks across the meadow, like the cover of a Christmas card or a page on the calendar. Can you just hear the sleigh bells ringing?

CcOxidase
09-12-2017, 10:22 AM
Thank you for posting all of these interesting vehicles! I like the buckskin hitched to the yellow cart.

Beethovens7th
09-12-2017, 11:26 AM
Thank you for posting all of these interesting vehicles! I like the buckskin hitched to the yellow cart.

IT looks sooo good on him!

papaone1
09-12-2017, 03:20 PM
Thanks to all for looking! Here is a horse drawn coal fired steam pumper engine fitted with a very fancy pair of Dapple gray Clydesdales. Contrary to popular belief these did not carry any water. The steam engine only drove the pump generating pressures of up to 350 psi. The next vehicle in line was usually a horse drawn water tanker or if you were lucky, to be near a stream or a river, because when the water was gone your pumper was done too. It was a far cry from the fire departments we all know today, but it was still better than the bucket brigade it replaced. Many early fire departments used a hand pumper usually with 6 or 8 men running the handles and they only got up to about 50 psi and like the steamer when the water ran out the pumper was done too. Be sure and thank your local fire dept. members for their service.162562162563162564

Beethovens7th
09-12-2017, 03:31 PM
Thanks to all for looking! Here is a horse drawn coal fired steam pumper engine fitted with a very fancy pair of Dapple gray Clydesdales. Contrary to popular belief these did not carry any water. The steam engine only drove the pump generating pressures of up to 350 psi. The next vehicle in line was usually a horse drawn water tanker or if you were lucky, to be near a stream or a river, because when the water was gone your pumper was done too. It was a far cry from the fire departments we all know today, but it was still better than the bucket brigade it replaced. Many early fire departments used a hand pumper usually with 6 or 8 men running the handles and they only got up to about 50 psi and like the steamer when the water ran out the pumper was done too. Be sure and thank your local fire dept. members for their service.162562162563162564

OOh :wow This one's up Hubby's alley; certainly will have to show him! :yes

papaone1
09-23-2017, 06:26 PM
OK It is almost fall and time to go for a buggy ride in the country to watch the leaves turn colors, and maybe stop at the farmer's market for some apples, and pears, and squashes. Here is a light buggy with room for 2 and a top to boot. It didn't take a lot of effort to move these buggies down the road and it was always a fun ride, just you and your best girl out on a Sunday afternoon in the crisp fall air. Gotta love that right?163088163089163090

papaone1
09-23-2017, 06:32 PM
Well while we are on the subject of buggies here is another. This one is a pony sized buggy and is being pulled by a POA. What is a POA you ask? Well a Pony of the Americas is an original breed developed in the good old USA and was and is one of the most popular and versatile breeds available. My first team was a pair of POAs named Babe and Appy, and I spent a lot of time holding the reins of that pretty and willing pair of mares. Good times.163091163092163093

papaone1
09-25-2017, 04:22 PM
This is a "Lost Soul" who was forwarded to me by a follower of my works . She told me he was a lonely little plastic horse with no one to care for him or play with him anymore, so she sent him to my Harnessry to be fitted with a harness and a vehicle so he could lead a productive and fulfilling life once more. And this is what happened next163156163157163158 I fitted him with a new harness and a nice little run about gig. I'm thinking he looks quite proud to be up front of that and I'm sure he'll do very well there. Lots of miles left in that poor discarded and forgotten about "Lost Soul" from Hartland.

papaone1
11-04-2017, 12:39 PM
OK here is an offering to all you hitch lovers. This is a 4 up of Percheron mares hitched to a beer wagon. In the late 1880's Pabst brewery of Milwaukee , Wi. operated more than 20 multi team hitches delivering beer on a daily basis. This team has just returned from a successful Oktober Fest tour and has earned a much needed rest.164991164992164993

papaone1
11-25-2017, 10:18 AM
OK In keeping with early industry here is a "Honey Wagon" . This was parked in the basement of your local hotel and was used to dispose of raw sewage from all the guests. Usually disposal consisted of hauling this to the nearest river and opening the valve and letting Mother Nature clean up the mess. Probably not the most exciting of career choices but then someone had to do it , right? Pictured are Sarah & Sally who are Shires and half sisters , 6 & 7 years old. And if you look closely you can see they are wearing their brand new Acme fly nets, to help protect them from those nasty biting flies that were always attracted to this type of endeavor. Fly nets were usually made of leather or stiff cord and draped over the horses body and the wind or natural movement of the horses help shoo the flies off. The preferred time to dispose was early am hours when traffic was thin and observers home in bed165828116583016583065828165829

papaone1
12-01-2017, 05:01 PM
Well we made it around to December once again, and we decided today would be a good day to go out and bring home the Christmas tree, so that is what we di and here is the photographic proof of that particular outing. In harness we have "Dashing Dan "&" Gypsy King" doing the honors today with style, grace , and ease. A fancy pair for the family outing and adventure of cutting a tree to bring home to decorate for the Holiday Season. Merry Christmas to each and everyone, and have a Safe, Happy, and prosperous New Year. ,,,,,,,,, Wagon-On ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Loren165992165993165994

pennylanestables
12-09-2017, 07:15 PM
I always love looking at this thread! All of your wagons are so cool!

papaone1
12-10-2017, 08:45 AM
Thank You, Have a great Holiday Season.

Eleda
12-12-2017, 11:14 AM
I'm a bit late to reply here, but that's only because I've been busy setting up that stellar Honey Wagon here at Triple Mountain's shop! Loren has graciously lent it to us, along with his ice harvesting set-up, for an amazing display we'll be building for a museum!

Skyline Farm Museum in Yarmouth, Maine, has a collection of over 150 antique horse-drawn vehicles, (If you love pics of such things, check out our blog post (https://triplemountain.com/blogs/news/field-trip-skyline-farm-museum) on our visit - It's loaded with awesome pictures!) and they've asked us to put together a model-scale horse-drawn vehicle display at their museum for the winter and spring events program. We've been collecting vehicles in preparation to set up the public display, and of course, we needed some of Loren's! In fact, I'll proudly say that I requested he build a Honey Wagon - I think it will be the star of the show! What kid (or adult) could resist going home and telling everyone they saw a poop wagon?!?

The display is scheduled to debut on Feb 6 during their Sleigh Day event, and you can bet we'll post pictures on our website blog as soon as we can afterward!

Meanwhile, here's a photo of the vehicles on temporary display at Triple Mountain's store. The Honey Wagon has pride-of-place in the center so we can point it out to everyone, and is flanked on both sides by the works of E.C. Russell, whose family museum we posted about on our blog in 2015:

These are just some of the vehicles that will be going into the display - more are still coming. If you're in Northern New England and would like to support the hobby and a great non-profit museum dedicated to preserving our agricultural heritage and teaching skills like harness-making and blacksmithing, we'd invite you to mark your calendars and plan to join us on Feb 6! More information will be available through the museum's Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/Skyline-Farm-89924318927/) and our site as the date approaches.

~ Eleda