PDA

View Full Version : Sellers - Do you verify receipt of payment?

Zexious
02-03-2017, 01:13 PM
Just out of curiosity: when selling a horse, do you verify that you have received payment? If yes, how long does it take for you to do so?

I personally do, just for peace of mind for the buyer. I usually respond to all messages within 12 hours, but never more than 24.

Misty Star Studios
02-03-2017, 01:27 PM
I always let my buyers know I received payment as soon as I receive it. It's just a common courtesy. :)

PineRidgeStables
02-03-2017, 01:31 PM
I always verify receipt of payment, typically within a few hours of the payment being sent. In the same email, I also let the buyer know when they can expect the horse to ship.

redsixwing
02-03-2017, 01:40 PM
Yes. I try to do this within 24 hours, and warn the buyer if I'm likely to be unavailable during the transaction.

Zexious
02-03-2017, 01:42 PM
Alright, cool! Glad to see it's a common courtesy within the hobby.

This question was spurred by a transaction I just started. I was interested in a resin and reached out to the seller on Wednesday asking if the model was still available, and requesting that they verify their paypal. Literally five minutes later they responded that yes, the model was still available and gave me their paypal. I sent them full payment via paypal almost exactly 24 hours later (so, early Thursday morning) along with an e-mail verifying my shipping address, and requesting that they give me a heads up that they received the payment with no issues.

Close to 36 hours later I haven't gotten a response--when I brought it up to my much more knowledgable hobby friend (because, let's be real, I haven't been "knowledgable" about this hobby in many years now xD) she said some sellers do not verify receipt of payment, and just send over a tracking number after the model has been shipped.
So, really I was just wondering how commonplace doing that (no communication aside from tracking) is.

juliacodeman
02-03-2017, 01:50 PM
I always send receipt of payment, especially if I am taking payments from someone, it's definitely done more often than not. What irks me is when someone receives a high end model and doesn't acknowledge they've got it-I know people usually don't notify sellers they got models that are RR or bought from a dealer or eBay, that's normal, but a very expensive decorator I sent all the way across the country a couple years ago, and the person who got it never said they got it, I had to email them for days to find out. I was disappointed that the person couldn't take thirty seconds out of their day and say it arrived safely the day it came instead of causing me days of worry.

summerwinds
02-03-2017, 02:21 PM
I always send an acknowledge of payment received. I try to do so within the hour but definitely within 24 hours. I include in the email when the model will he shipped and when I will be sending a tracking number, or if I am ordering from Breyer due to a pre-sale I let them know when I will place the order and let them know I will forward any communication from Breyer I receive.

LadyPhaseCrazy
02-03-2017, 04:12 PM
:yeahthat :yes

Zexious
02-03-2017, 05:07 PM
juliacodeman -- I have never thought of it that way! That's certainly good to know--as a buyer I definitely don't always let know that I've received, but will do it from now on! :D

SylvanTrails
02-03-2017, 05:13 PM
I usually let the customer know...by sending them a shipping receipt. But, then, my schedule is such that I typically ship within 24 hours of receipt of payment. (Except on weekends. Weekends fall thru the cracks. If you pay just about any time after noon on Friday, it might not ship until Monday. :uh :uh )

Brenda
02-03-2017, 07:46 PM
As a buyer...If the seller doesn't let me know they got my payment, I will email them and ask them. I let them know when the money has been sent so it's just common courtesy for them to reciprocate. I've had sellers who not only not acknowledge payment but they ship out without telling me they did so.

RobinHoodFan
02-03-2017, 08:14 PM
If it's a private sale, yup! Always. (Unless I'm already sending a shipping notification--I tend to ship fast). But if it's through like ebay or etsy I don't because they already have confirmation from them..more emails just gets annoying.

Schnauzer
02-04-2017, 10:23 AM
Yes, I do, as soon as possible. I've been on the other end, waiting with bitten fingernails to know that all went well with the payment transaction. Sometimes things happen that are not intentional and I want to be able to fix them asap.
Ann

Zexious
02-04-2017, 10:50 AM
Alright, so here is part two to the question:

As a buyer, if you had not heard from the seller after you've sent payment, how long do you wait to reach out, if at all?

Misty Star Studios
02-04-2017, 11:05 AM

As a buyer, if you had not heard from the seller after you've sent payment, how long do you wait to reach out, if at all?

I usually wait about 24 hours and if I don't hear back, I'll just send a quick message and ask :)

Aidan's Toy Trove
02-04-2017, 11:30 AM
I try to let customers know when their payment is received but I do forget sometimes. I don't send a message on eBay sales but I do upload tracking information.

Brenda
02-04-2017, 11:30 AM

A day or two. Depends on when I sent payment. If it's a Saturday or Sunday I might wait until Monday or Tuesday simply because people get busy with family stuff or errands on the weekend. But if it's during the week I'll wait maybe a day.

MaggieBennett
02-04-2017, 12:17 PM
I should but I often don't. Part of that is because I tend to go through and deal with a whole bunch of payments at once (by downloading them from PayPal and putting them into my system here), which I don't do every day. Now, if I'm selling an individual piece rather than unpainted resins I do try to be more on top of communications!

summerwinds
02-04-2017, 12:19 PM
As a buyer, when I send a payment I will wait 2-3 days before I inquired about it. I figure life happens so I try to give them some time to respond. I get really annoyed though if I have to inquire about if they have received my payment and still get no response.

Wixom Aficionado
02-04-2017, 02:14 PM
I always verify within 24 hours of receipt. Except in the case of eBay because it's all tracked anyway. :)

Lora
02-06-2017, 05:02 AM
I try my best to remember but i have to admit that i do forget to sent a "payment received" message sometimes. I always sent shipping norifiacations.
On e-bay I believe when I give feedback the seller knows that I received the item and I get notifications then irtem has been shipped.
As a seller I do appreciate whe a buyer thells me that she (or he) received the item . gives me a lot of piece of moid if a buyer tells me that the item has been received in one piece (and sadness if the item arrived broken).
Most european buyers I deal with are god with communication and telling me that they recieved an item. I don't sell much to US , most models aren't interesting for people in US to buy from me anyway or I'm a bit too lazy to list them on MH$P at times . But like 75% of US buyers I had never said if they received the item , some of their emails are very short anyway (shortest has been just one word "trade?" ), don't know if sending emails cost money or if people in Us pay for each character...
Then it comes to feedback I often enough forget about that anyway :(

Ulla Harneit

Mary
02-08-2017, 10:49 AM
This is something that so many hobby buyers want, that is, to hear back from the seller that all is on track. Although in other parts of my life almost everyone will assume the payment was rec'd unless they hear otherwise, in the hobby communication is key and people prefer that confirmation. :)

SeaWatch
02-08-2017, 11:02 AM
Since I do not sell a lot of items at one time, it is easy for me to keep up communication with my buyers.

I always acknowledge receipt of payment, usually within a couple of hours (and no later than 24 hours), and send an email to my buyer confirming it. I do this for private sales, as well as Ebay sales. I will also let them know when I will ship the item, and will give them the tracking number when I mail the parcel. I believe that good communication goes a long way! :yes

If I send a payment to someone, and I don't receive a confirmation that they received it, then I will email that person after about 24 hours - if it is a private sale. For Ebay sales, I usually do not email the seller, unless I see that they haven't marked the item as "shipped" after about one week.