PDA

View Full Version : Paypal Tips option

unicornwoman
04-05-2017, 09:09 AM
Did you see that Paypal has added a Tips option for regular invoices, allowing your customer to pay more than the invoice? What do you think of that?

Lora
04-06-2017, 04:10 AM
Why not ? If the customer want to pay more it's great if he/she can do that. as long noone gets forced to use it...

Ulla Harneit

Mary
04-06-2017, 11:13 AM
I think it's fine. It's a compensation system based on merit.

Many online technical consultants are now giving their customers the option to add a tip. As they frequently use Paypal as a payment channel, I'm guessing that is why the addition of "Tips".

Traveling the US, I find a wide variety of attitudes towards tipping, generally. In some areas, especially the northeast and parts of the mid-Atlantic through to Kentucky, tipping is very customary and is part of the culture. There are areas where tips are handed out in all directions and there is an expectation of more customized service, more favors done, in return. But in the part of the south I come from, tipping is considered to be condescending and even insulting, outside of restaurants and a few places such as salons. The expectation is that workers always do their best out of pride, not tipping (not sure if they do but that's the assumption). In this area even customary tipping such as restaurants and hair salons seems to be done on strict calculation and is not generous. Some people here think wage compensation should take the place of tipping. So that's a pretty fair range of attitudes about tipping.

I wonder if the new generation of providers who are hoping for tips understand the cultural nuances they will encounter ... :)

Eviejean
04-07-2017, 10:49 AM
I guess it's the way of today's society with everyone holding their hand out/expecting a tip but personally I have mixed reactions to tipping EVERYONE...

Sure, we tip when we go out to a restaurant, tip baggage handlers, the cleaning staff when we stay in a hotel, I tip my hairdresser, etc. but more and more it bugs me when you see a cup labeled for "tips" in places where you wouldn't normally think of tipping.

And just recently my hubby & I went white-water rafting, never thinking that the guide (who was included in the package we paid for) was expecting a tip on top of the price we paid. But during the trip one of the many stories he regaled us with happened to mention a certain trip he headed where the participating rafters all got flipped into the water and that "I guess you shouldn't be expecting tips when your party all get dumped into the water..."

Hubby & I tipped our guide when the trip was over but hadn't gave tipping a thought beforehand, until he found a way to work it into the conversation...

Raventyde
04-07-2017, 01:34 PM
I personally think Paypal just found a way to make even MORE money letting people think they're being aulteristic...

LadyPhaseCrazy
04-08-2017, 12:04 PM
I personally think Paypal just found a way to make even MORE money letting people think they're being aulteristic...

:yeahthat

saddlebredlover
04-08-2017, 10:00 PM
I guess it's the way of today's society with everyone holding their hand out/expecting a tip but personally I have mixed reactions to tipping EVERYONE...

Sure, we tip when we go out to a restaurant, tip baggage handlers, the cleaning staff when we stay in a hotel, I tip my hairdresser, etc. but more and more it bugs me when you see a cup labeled for "tips" in places where you wouldn't normally think of tipping.

And just recently my hubby & I went white-water rafting, never thinking that the guide (who was included in the package we paid for) was expecting a tip on top of the price we paid. But during the trip one of the many stories he regaled us with happened to mention a certain trip he headed where the participating rafters all got flipped into the water and that "I guess you shouldn't be expecting tips when your party all get dumped into the water..."

Hubby & I tipped our guide when the trip was over but hadn't gave tipping a thought beforehand, until he found a way to work it into the conversation...

:yeahthat I agree that a tip jar showing up where you would never think of tipping is a bit off-putting. But, I understand that in service-based businesses there is more of a need for it. I wouldn't think you'd tip someone by buying off of eBay, especially if it is to be paid before the item is shipped to you.