PDA

View Full Version : Advice please



2mobucks
04-21-2017, 10:33 PM
How long should I wait to close a transaction with a person who is very intermittent with communication? I never had a problem with trades/sells taking several days to complete. Usually by day 3 I have completed the transaction with my folks. Maybe I should have posted a 72 hour hold and moved on.... What should do or how long to wait? This gal has positive feedback on MHHR but last one was 2015.

BearsnBugs
04-22-2017, 06:55 AM
How long has it been? If you haven't heard from her in 3-5 days, I would move on and try to find another buyer.

unicornwoman
04-23-2017, 07:48 AM
It depends on what you promised the buyer. If you said, "I'll hold for a week," keep your promise. If you didn't promise anything, do what you feel is fair.

FourWindsFarm
04-24-2017, 09:44 AM
If it's been more than three days and no time frame was discussed, I would send an email saying "I need to hear back from you one way or another by tomorrow evening at 8:00 pm CST (or whatever time you want), or I will relist the model/contact another interested buyer/etc." Some people are gone over the weekends so I will wait a couple of extra days then, but generally if someone doesn't respond within a day or two, they've moved on as well.

2mobucks
04-24-2017, 09:44 PM
I didn't set a deadline, my bad on my end. I know she has been on FB posting so she has internet. She jumped right on the ad after I posted the 1st day, 4/18 with a reply back after I sent more photos. I haven't heard back since the 20th. I'm cutting her loose and setting a new guideline with my ads. Thanks for the advice!

Mary
04-26-2017, 12:27 PM
I suggest sending her a note saying that you will wait until [day & date], and if she hasn't completed the transaction by then the model will be available for sale to the public again. She can still buy it so long as no one else buys it first (or you decide to pull the sale ad). That's fair to both of you, and you don't close out another potential buyer. Of course if you do have another buyer, let her know the horse will be sold to someone else after the deadline.

I think sellers are sometimes hesitant to state a definite hold period up front as they don't want to lose a slow buyer if no one else is wanting to buy. But all you are doing is putting the ad back up, if no one else has made an offer you'd accept. The slow buyer can still buy it later, so long as no one else has done so. And you haven't lost the chance at other sales. That's fair to both sides.