PDA

View Full Version : Non-paying bidder or simply relist?

FourWindsFarm
05-15-2017, 10:36 AM
After stopping selling on Ebay due to a run of bad buyers several years ago, I listed a few items last week hoping to raise some BF funds. I have an item that sold three days ago, and not one peep from the high bidder, although the person has 40+ transactions and all positive feedback about fast payment, etc. So, what do I do? Relist it? Second chance? Report the buyer?

My concern with reporting a non-paying bidder is that if the person does pay, they are free to leave negative feedback. As a new seller, I don't want this. I've sent the buyer an invoice and a message asking them to please contact me. Suggestions?

Wyllow
05-15-2017, 10:43 AM
Is there a requirement by Ebay that they need to pay in a certain number of days after the end of an auction? Did you list something specific in your posting? I may be old school, but 3 days doesn't seem to be much time to me. I certainly have times that I bid on an item, then we are gone for the weekend, or life happens, and I don't get around to paying for longer than 3 days. I always pay, but almost never is it right after the auction close. This is especially true when I bid early in an auction, then end up still being high bid days later when it ends.

Misty Star Studios
05-15-2017, 10:44 AM
Open a non-paying bidder case and let eBay solve it or maybe they'll come through and pay for it. I have mine to open automatically after 3 days anyway :) If they do for some reason leave negative feedback, you can call eBay and they will remove it for you :)

FourWindsFarm
05-15-2017, 10:56 AM
Ebay will let you open a case after two days. I don't mind waiting if she's going to actually pay up, but it worries me that she's been a member for only a couple of months, and every one of her feedbacks says she pays right away, and now nothing for three days.... I'll give it another day or two.

emt8134
05-15-2017, 11:10 AM
Send a gentle hey I haven't heard reminder through messages. Things happen, family sick, accident, get busy etc.

pzp
05-15-2017, 05:13 PM
I think if you donʻt file NPB youʻll have to pay the FVF.

AMG
05-15-2017, 05:54 PM
You can set up your auctions to have automatic NPB warnings/notifications - actually, I can't recall if this is something you have to turn on/activate, or it is the default mode you can opt out of or customize.

Generally the default setting for automated NPB notifications is that on the fourth day the winning bidder is notified again by eBay about the pending transaction. If they do not pay after that, a NPB report is filed automatically one week after the end of the auction and your fees get refunded.

RobinHoodFan
05-16-2017, 08:26 AM
I believe ebay allows 4 days before you can even open up a claim now (used to be a week!). Check the eBay TOS for non-paying bidders. You have to follow that timeframe, regardless. What I normally do is send a friendly reminder on the last day before I'm going to file the claim. If it's not paid by the day after the claim is available, I open it.

My BIGGEST piece of advice is don't do ANYTHING with the item until they pay or until your claim ends. If you go relist it or second chance it and then they decide to pay, now you're definitely stuck with a negative feedback from them because you'll have to refund and cancel their order. If anything, maybe contact the second highest bidder to let them know that you haven't gotten payment yet so it may be coming to them for second chance soon. That way it gives them a heads up to maybe put a hold on their looking elsewhere so when you do go to second chance it, there's a better chance of them taking it.

RobinHoodFan
05-16-2017, 08:29 AM
Ebay will let you open a case after two days. I don't mind waiting if she's going to actually pay up, but it worries me that she's been a member for only a couple of months, and every one of her feedbacks says she pays right away, and now nothing for three days.... I'll give it another day or two.

Have you contacted them? It could have simply slipped their mind and a quick email reminder will help instead of just relying on eBay doing the communication for you.

I think if you donʻt file NPB youʻll have to pay the FVF.
:yes
You do also get your fees back if they agree to a cancellation through the claim system though--not just if they get a strike. But do nothing and your FVFs are not refunded.

Beethovens7th
05-16-2017, 09:25 AM
i give my customers a week to pay and then a 24hour reminder and then i file non-paying-bidder.

FourWindsFarm
05-16-2017, 09:51 AM
I've sent an invoice and a polite email, and nothing. Meanwhile, she's purchased four more items off ebay and paid for all of them according to her feedback. So aggravating. This is the kind of stuff that made me leave ebay before. I seem to have a 'deadbeat buyer bid on my stuff!' tag on my listings.

RobinHoodFan
05-16-2017, 10:48 AM
But when did she purchase those others? She may have gotten the feedback in that time but it doesn't mean she bought them in the last 4 days. Most sellers keep feedback as hostage still (even though it makes no sense and doesn't do them any good) until they receive it...so she could have purchased those items weeks ago. I don't think you can view items people purchased anymore but if you can, check the listing end date..not when they got the feedback.

FourWindsFarm
05-16-2017, 10:50 AM
Her item buying count is increasing as is the feedback. She's definitely online and on ebay but not responding to messages. Ah well. I'll give her another day, then file if I've still heard nothing.

SeaWatch
05-16-2017, 11:21 AM
When I sell on Ebay, I list in my ad that I request buyers to pay within 3 days. If the buyer doesn't pay me by the end of the 3rd day, I will send an Invoice via Ebay, with a reminder note.
I have my account set up so that Ebay will automatically send out the Non-Paying Bidder Notice on the 4th day, and then I will leave it that. Ebay will give the buyer 4 more days to send the payment, and if they don't pay Ebay will automatically refund my Final Value Fees. I always wait until they refund me before I will relist the item for sale, or send a 'Second Chance' offer to the underbidder.
I recently had 2 non-paying bidders, and I guess I was lucky in that they sent their payment to me the day after Ebay sent the Non-Paying Bidder Notification.

BTW - During those 4 days after Ebay sends that notice, neither the Buyer nor Seller can leave any feedback. Feedback can only be left after the Buyer pays.

RobinHoodFan
05-16-2017, 12:19 PM
Her item buying count is increasing as is the feedback. She's definitely online and on ebay but not responding to messages. Ah well. I'll give her another day, then file if I've still heard nothing.
Just playing devil's advocate here...but she could have had those bids in a long time ago and won those auctions in this timeframe...and the feedback could still be for previous auctions already delivered as well. There's really no proof in those numbers unless you can see the auction ending dates which I don't think ebay lets you do anymore. You used to be able to view the items people purchased..at least when they were bidding on your stuff...I hate that they took this away for many reasons. I also hate that they took it away on your own feedback after a few months. I used to use that all the time to look up past things I've purchased for reference/pricing reasons.

Eviejean
05-19-2017, 09:41 PM

Just curious on what happened?

For what it's worth: When I sell on eBay my buyers have 3 days to pay unless it's a BUY-it-Now which is immediate payment. On the 4th day I send a reminder invoice and if they still don't pay I open a non-paying bidder through eBay. Just like SeaWatch I always wait until I get my Final Value Fees refunded before I do anything with that auction.

BUT, I'm thinking that I may go SeaWatch's route and switch everything so the non-paying bidder notice is AUTOMATIC through eBay. Saves me some hassle...

FourWindsFarm
05-22-2017, 11:03 AM
The buyer didn't pay even with the non-paying bidder dispute filed. I've sent a second-chance offer to the underbidder, otherwise I'll relist it. I set up automatic non-paying bidder on the rest of my items. I guess chalk it up to a learning experience. *sigh*

Eviejean
05-22-2017, 07:45 PM
The buyer didn't pay even with the non-paying bidder dispute filed. I've sent a second-chance offer to the underbidder, otherwise I'll relist it. I set up automatic non-paying bidder on the rest of my items. I guess chalk it up to a learning experience. *sigh*

Awww :( Sorry that this auction went south on you. :hugg
I REALLY don't understand why some bidders do that... :grump (when I bid I WANT to win the item!)