PDA

View Full Version : Ebayer selling tent time tickets..

emt8134
06-21-2017, 04:50 PM
Just wanted to post a be aware thread..

I fell for buying a tent ticket for a friend who doesn't have ebay. The seller charged her $7.10 to ship the ticket from just a few states away. I emailed the seller and asked them if it was a mistake and was told no, that's the actual cost for an envelope, postage etc. Seriously?
I HATE price gougers and this is one of the worst.
I suggest if you are looking at buying tickets to double check the shipping as they have A LOT of tickets up. It's not a misprint.
In the end, she had to pay it.

SeaWatch
06-21-2017, 05:26 PM
It depends on how the seller is shipping the ticket. If she is mailing it via Priority Mail, then the price could be legit. I just mailed a check to my insurance company which is in the same state as I, and it cost me $6.95 to mail it in a Priority envelope. With Priority, you get a tracking number.

However, if that seller is just sticking the ticket in an envelope and slapping on a 49 stamp, that's just plain highway robbery! :mad

CMY
06-21-2017, 07:17 PM
I sold a special run ticket on eBay and advertised it with free shipping. I shipped the ticket in an envelope inside of a padded bubble mailer. I shipped USPS first class package (came w/ tracking) and it only cost me $2.61. $7 sounds quite high!!

emt8134
06-21-2017, 07:30 PM
I just checked eBay and they've pulled their auctions..

SeaStarStruck
06-21-2017, 08:12 PM
To send it Priority Mail, yes, it can cost nearly $7. When I sent mine, it got sent insured *and* tracked. Tickets aren't likely to be damaged like models are, but they can still be lost in the system. I didn't want to risk a nearly $50 item going missing and then being on the hook to replace it. But I'm overly cautious by nature :grin

So YES it's good that you're questioning the seller, but like previous posters have already said, whether or not they're ripping buyers off when it comes to postage all depends on how those tickets are being mailed.

unicornwoman
06-22-2017, 08:39 AM
Well, as a seller, I get tired of the "buyers" that tell me how much something cost me, how much my supplies cost, how much my time is worth, etc, etc. If you don't like the price, you can move on.

amorrison50
06-22-2017, 08:44 AM
Well, as a seller, I get tired of the "buyers" that tell me how much something cost me, how much my supplies cost, how much my time is worth, etc, etc. If you don't like the price, you can move on.

:yeahthat I send mine in a padded envelope via UPS with tracking and insurance. It does cost a few dollars but I don't have to worry about it getting lost, damaged, or other issues... I also add the option of free pickup at BF, since I'll be there but don't need any of the SR items.

unicornwoman
06-22-2017, 09:05 AM
... It does cost a few dollars but I don't have to worry about it getting lost, damaged, or other issues...

Definitely. Tracking is easily available and it saves so many headaches, I don't ship without it. I try to use Paypal or eBay so that the tracking is included in the shipping price and automatically loaded.

Robin
06-22-2017, 09:47 AM

Same here. This isn't directed at the OP, but I've had buyers message me on ebay demanding to know why shipping to them is so high (usually when it's in the $14 range), and I generally tell them that they're welcome to buy elsewhere. I charge actual shipping with a small handling fee to cover insurance, and yep, the price sometimes sucks when someone lives out in CA and I'm in CT, but that's how the postage system works.

HorseshoeFarms
06-22-2017, 01:27 PM

:yeahthat I had to end a sale recently because someone kept arguing about the price of shipping with me. It just wasn't worth the hassle anymore. I stopped shipping internationally for this reason - had a couple of really great buyers who actually warned me that the price would be high so I wouldn't be surprised. Then had a couple of international buyers get so mad at me over the price of shipping. I can't control the price of shipping, especially when it is out of the country!

I agree that it all depends on how the ticket is being shipped. I would have sent it Priority just for the insurance and the tracking.

emt8134
06-22-2017, 03:30 PM
To clarify, an envelope and a 49 cent stamp.

Given eBay "calculator" is awful. I put in all the correct info recently on one of my auctions and it was telling buyers postage was $18.85 for a classic. I sent that horse two day priority for $6.35 and refunded the difference.

ElvenEquestrian
06-22-2017, 10:49 PM
Given eBay "calculator" is awful. I put in all the correct info recently on one of my auctions and it was telling buyers postage was $18.85 for a classic. I sent that horse two day priority for $6.35 and refunded the difference.

I agree; the calculator is crazy! I've been having issues with it, too. All of my listings keep defaulting to 3 pounds and up to $17 shipping, for items that are not that heavy.

emt8134
06-23-2017, 06:28 AM
That's what happened with my classic!! A bug in the system maybe?

juliacodeman
06-23-2017, 07:43 AM
That's how eBay makes their money-charging 10% commission on your shipping charge. I don't think it's by accident. That's why I have to call eBay every single month and have them adjust my account because they automatically charge my seller account by whatever the calculator says. It's terrible and time consuming to chase. I bet not a lot of busy sellers actually watch this and they are underhandedly making millions of dollars this way.

Beethovens7th
06-23-2017, 07:54 AM
That's why i say to-heck-with-it and list with free shipping. i may not get quite as much for my product as my competition, but i haz happy customers! :yes

unicornwoman
06-23-2017, 07:56 AM
I have felt that eBay really wanted everything to be "free shipping" as most buyers are fooled that that means it is "free shipping." (Nope. All that means is that the item price is postpaid.)

Not sure how well that works now that we have the zone shipping on larger items, but "free shipping" certainly saves a lot of headaches.