PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding Claims to USPS

HorseshoeFarms
06-22-2017, 01:18 PM
I sold a model ppd and I packaged it with lots of bubble wrap. I paid the USPS priority shipping and I chose to purchase extra insurance on the model so it would be insured for $150. The buyer sent me an email today with pictures showing that the model was broken. This has never ever happened to me before. I refunded the money immediately and I filed a claim with USPS. I attached pictures of the broken model to the claim. How likely is it that I will get my $150 back and how long does it usually take for a claim to be processed from start to finish?

I have never had to do a claim like this, but I want my money back from the post office. The stuff I tend to ship has been under $50 so the usual Priority mail insurance has always covered it. Now I am really glad that I got extra insurance for the model. I still have copies of the Insured Mail Receipt and the Original Post Office Receipt.

Robin
06-22-2017, 07:37 PM
They'll probably deny the claim the first time, so be ready for that. The PO is likely to demand proof of value. When I went through this, they were willing to accept a Paypal Invoice, but of course I hadn't invoiced the buyer; she'd just paid me. In the end, I provided a screenshot of the email I had sent as a receipt as well as a screenshot of the Paypal payment. (Mine was more complicated because the buyer had bought more than one horse, and they were in multiple boxes, only one of which was lost). It will probably be easier since you have the horse in hand to prove damage, but remember to overload them with information. You can't have too much information when dealing with a USPS claim.

Good luck!

HorseshoeFarms
06-22-2017, 07:50 PM
They'll probably deny the claim the first time, so be ready for that. The PO is likely to demand proof of value. When I went through this, they were willing to accept a Paypal Invoice, but of course I hadn't invoiced the buyer; she'd just paid me. In the end, I provided a screenshot of the email I had sent as a receipt as well as a screenshot of the Paypal payment. (Mine was more complicated because the buyer had bought more than one horse, and they were in multiple boxes, only one of which was lost). It will probably be easier since you have the horse in hand to prove damage, but remember to overload them with information. You can't have too much information when dealing with a USPS claim.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for the advice :) It just so happened that the buyer asked me to send an invoice on PayPal. It was the first time that I have ever sent an invoice. Now I am really glad I did! After this - I am definitely going to send an invoice for now on.

I don't have the horse since its with the buyer, but at least I have pictures. I still have my sale pictures too and have kept all the emails between me and the buyer.

I have definitely learned from this experience and now I will always keep good documentation.

unicornwoman
06-23-2017, 08:09 AM
I never thought about the Paypal invoices being an important documentation item over just an email invoice. Thanks!

Robin
06-23-2017, 08:54 AM
I never thought about the Paypal invoices being an important documentation item over just an email invoice. Thanks!

I think it depends on how formal your email invoice is. USPS seemed to prefer the Paypal invoice (or at least the person I talked to did), but I didn't have one, so they ended up taking the email invoice. It took MONTHS of back-and-forth, though and was really painful. Particularly since the model they lost was one I'd sold for $1625+shipping.

KellyT
06-23-2017, 09:08 AM
I uploaded documentation to USPS.com for models that went missing (as the seller, I refunded the buyer as it was a small amount), and attached value/emails as proof of payment. I received a refund via check in a week.

KellyT
06-23-2017, 09:09 AM
I think it depends on how formal your email invoice is. USPS seemed to prefer the Paypal invoice (or at least the person I talked to did), but I didn't have one, so they ended up taking the email invoice. It took MONTHS of back-and-forth, though and was really painful. Particularly since the model they lost was one I'd sold for $1625+shipping.

Woah - did the ever find it through the post office and what model was it? Did you get a full refund from the USPS?

HorseshoeFarms
06-23-2017, 12:04 PM

I really hope they found that model for you! I am so sorry to hear that this happened to you too.

HorseshoeFarms
06-23-2017, 12:05 PM
Thanks everybody for the advice! :hugg

Robin
06-23-2017, 07:50 PM
Woah - did the ever find it through the post office and what model was it? Did you get a full refund from the USPS?

Nope! So, there's a Fury with Paper Saddle running around out there somewhere...I always hoped that he'd show up again someday, but it's been over a year, so I doubt it's going to happen. Fortunately, they did refund me, although the battle to get the money back took months.

HorseshoeFarms
07-03-2017, 08:02 PM
I have good news!!! USPS sent me a check for the full amount! I expected it to take longer, but I'm so happy that they sent the check.

Robin
07-04-2017, 09:06 AM
I have good news!!! USPS sent me a check for the full amount! I expected it to take longer, but I'm so happy that they sent the check.

Congrats! I'm so glad that they're coming through for you. :D

HorseshoeFarms
07-04-2017, 09:43 PM
Congrats! I'm so glad that they're coming through for you. :D

Thanks!!! :)