PDA

View Full Version : Question: Need a little help with an International sale

Jasper
06-23-2017, 06:57 AM
I just recently sold something on Ebay. Typically I don't like shipping Internationally and usually hit the checkbox that says "No International Shipping". But I decided not to this time with Global Shipping Program. With my understanding that all I have to do is send it to the customs center here in the States and then it's their problem. So someone bid on my item, and won. They sent me this message this morning.

Hi! When I tried to pay for the horse eBay wanted me to pay +50$ for taxes etc. but I mean this item is used so normally I don t need to pay taxes from it here in Norway. And 50$ for nothing it s just too much to throw. So I wonder if I could just pay directly to your PayPal for the horse and shipping. And you will just ship it to my as a gift �� Could you do that?

I'm not entirely sure how to handle this. How to I get the GSP rate to her? Or how can I get her a better a rate? Ugh....this is why I don't like shipping internationally. Maybe if I understood it more. Thanks for the help.

Also on another transaction. I'm sending a horse to be painted to someone in the UK. She told me to mark it as a return to avoid custom fees. Advice on this? What's the best shipping route to go? Thanks

juliacodeman
06-23-2017, 07:51 AM
I would cancel the sale, let the buyer know you have to cancel it out, then relist the item and don't check the Global shipping box. Shipping to Norway is exactly the same as the states, you just have to enter a little information for customs, that's all. You can still click to ship, you just need to use a little plastic baggie to tape to the box so you can slip the labels inside, as customs will need to pull one out. Just make the value less than 50 and they won't have tariffs.

unicornwoman
06-23-2017, 08:08 AM
If you checked the global shipping program, your buyer had access to the estimated cost for shipping, taxes, etc when she bid. If she didn't check, she is at fault.

Stick by your contract (your auction terms). If anything goes wrong, it is the auction terms eBay & Paypal will judge you by. Just kindly state that the auction listed using the eBay Global Shipping Program, that the costs to her country were available on the listing before she purchased, and that you are sorry, but you must abide by your contract.

If she wants to back out, let her. I'd probably just do a mutually agreed cancellation, so she doesn't have as much incentive for revenge feedback. Mutually agreed cancellation gets your fees back and I believe leaves no dings on either of you. It would be best if she initiated the request.

And, yes, it is "letting her off the hook" when she's the one that is trying to break contract by changing the terms, but sometimes holding to your rights is not the best for you in the long run.

Do not mark things as gifts when they are not. It is lying & perjury & breaking the law. And, don't forget that this person is asking you to lie, which makes me put a warning flag up on her as a buyer.

Oh, and keep copies of all correspondence with her on your personal computer as well as in your eBay account. If she does pull something with eBay, having documentation that she asked you to break the law is in your favor.

jettabar99
06-23-2017, 08:48 AM
Or just be generous and figure it out instead of cancelling it on her. It is hard for people to get models outside of the USA and when people refuse to be helpful it really sucks. Just tell her what the real costs are and have her make up the extra - they usually do and understand.

It is frustrating for people to get shut out

I ship international all the time and it can be a bit of a pain but for them it is worth it - you might need to be a little flexible

This is a hobby

Jasper
06-23-2017, 11:04 AM
Help me understand. The $50 is for customs (is that the same as tariff), and shipping. GSP is not involved at all? And if it was it would be an additional cost for her to ship it to Kentucky. About $10. Is that correct? I priced the horse on usps.com and got exactly $50 so I'm a little confused as to why GSP isn't involved.

I'm so sorry for my ignorance. I'm terrible with this stuff! Someone might have to explain this to me in beginners terms!

I have no problem being flexible Lisa. I'm just not very good at this international shipping stuff. I've lost money in the past. But having a scale now makes a big difference. I was going to cut her some slack because I misrepresented the horse. I listed him as a OOAK, when he was a limited edition of 3. She had bid before I could correct it and gave her the heads up about it. She didn't seem to mind. She still wanted the horse. Before I realized she was from Norway, I told her that I would cover some of the shipping costs. I will offer her $15-20 off shipping and see what she wants to do. She only has a feedback rating of 1. Makes me a little cautious.

Thanks for the help. It's probably not a good idea to break the Ebay contract. I don't want a mess on my hands later. As of now, I will offer her a discount for my error. But any additional help is greatly appreciated.

As for the other unrelated case.....does anyone know how much customs would be to the UK? Someone told me that if I labeled it as "return" it won't be covered by insurance. So help me understand....I pay to ship the resin to the artist. And when she receives it, SHE has to pay some kind of fee for it? I'm willing to cover the cost but don't know what to expect.

Feel free to want to reach through your screen and try to shake this into my head! lol!

Faracat
06-23-2017, 11:12 AM
This should help RE customs fees and the UK. :) https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/overview https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty

HorseshoeFarms
06-23-2017, 12:14 PM
If you checked the global shipping program, your buyer had access to the estimated cost for shipping, taxes, etc when she bid. If she didn't check, she is at fault.

Stick by your contract (your auction terms). If anything goes wrong, it is the auction terms eBay & Paypal will judge you by. Just kindly state that the auction listed using the eBay Global Shipping Program, that the costs to her country were available on the listing before she purchased, and that you are sorry, but you must abide by your contract.

If she wants to back out, let her. I'd probably just do a mutually agreed cancellation, so she doesn't have as much incentive for revenge feedback. Mutually agreed cancellation gets your fees back and I believe leaves no dings on either of you. It would be best if she initiated the request.

And, yes, it is "letting her off the hook" when she's the one that is trying to break contract by changing the terms, but sometimes holding to your rights is not the best for you in the long run.

Do not mark things as gifts when they are not. It is lying & perjury & breaking the law. And, don't forget that this person is asking you to lie, which makes me put a warning flag up on her as a buyer.

Oh, and keep copies of all correspondence with her on your personal computer as well as in your eBay account. If she does pull something with eBay, having documentation that she asked you to break the law is in your favor.

I 100% agree with everything that Melody said. You need to write exactly what is in the package on the Customs form. If you lie on a Customs form, you are breaking the law.

I had to cancel a sale because someone wanted me to go against my terms that I had clearly written.

VWK'sanEasyGoer
06-23-2017, 12:32 PM
The GSP will automatically calculate what a country would charge for duty/customs fee's for an item to be shipped. So for example if I looked at your auction I would see upfront you were using the GSP, it would tell me how much shipping would be and also how much duty I'm going to be charged as well. So your buyer did see it up front, whether she misunderstood that she must pay it up front is another story. It is listed pretty clearly the buyer has to pay it.

See here's the thing - the duty charged by the GSP doesn't always get applied to the customs charges. Sometime like here in Canada it will get passed through with no duty charges applied. Customs only randomly flags parcels for duty to be applied. So what happens to the duty I paid up front through the GSP? Ebay pockets it. And customs can still apply duty charges over and above the GSP and you have to pay them upon delivery despite the fact you already paid through the GSP. It's in the fine print.

Second what happens is you only see the shipping you charge the buyer to the "middle man" freight forwarding company. The buyer receives a second shipping charge from the middle man to them.

To sum it up the GSP will charge the buyer duty that may not be needed and may not always be applied, then charge them twice or more the shipping for the package, part of which the seller never even sees.

The GSP works well for some countries better than others. For Canadians right next to you guys it sort of sucks. A lot. But for the UK I believe it works out pretty well.

VWK'sanEasyGoer
06-23-2017, 12:38 PM
I should add the GSP will always automatically calculate the duty despite a countries duty free limit. Here in Canada it's $60 so anything under that should not have duty applied. The GSP will calculate and have it charged to the buyer anyways. What happens to that money? Ebay pockets it.

Lora
06-23-2017, 01:40 PM
GSP does calculate the limit if I buy something that is less than 15 pounds with GSP, GSP does not charge me any custom fees. Used to be a lot more, but somehow that changed :( . But at least i don't have to pay the 8 pound fee to pay custom fees....
I do not believe E-Bay is pocketing the money. Pitney Bowes is doing the custom proceding and I am quite sure that Pitney Bowes just pays money to the custom office for each parcel, similar to what the company did I used to work before. So noone is "pocketing" the money except for the custom office.
And officially just because the custom office is not charging you for the parcel because it got "overlooked" doesn't mean you don't have to pay custom fees, officially you're supposed to call custom and pay the fees anyway. At east here in Europe , otherwise it could be seen as tax evasion... but i don't believe they go after us small fishes...
I'm surprised that Norway does not charge custom fees... probably they just aren't as tough as Germany or UK.

As for custom charge to UK it is 20% of the declared value (not sure if they add shipping or not or if that is luck of draw) up to a certain amount and after that custom fees are added depending on what the item is declared is I belive. There is an 8 pound fee to pay for custom fees/import vat as well.

Ulla Harneit

Ulla Harneit

Whysome
06-23-2017, 05:40 PM
So I wonder if I could just pay directly to your PayPal for the horse and shipping. And you will just ship it to my as a gift �� Could you do that?

I'm not the most familiar with eBay's TOS, so maybe someone can confirm, but isn't this a violation of their TOS if you do this? This sounds like she's asking for the sale to take place outside of eBay after the auction has already ended there. Or am I pulling this out of nowhere?

Jasper
06-23-2017, 06:55 PM
I wasn't sure if that's what she was getting at or not. Regardless the shipping still works out the same. That's why I was confused. I didn't know if she was hoping I'd give her a discount or what? Or if it was an additional $50 for customs after the $50 in shipping.

Lora
06-24-2017, 04:07 AM
With GSP you always pay the custom fees , while if you ship it normally there might be a chance that the parcel is overlooked by customs and you don#t have to pay to get the parcel and safe the money . Officially you would still have to pay custom fees but custom office will not go after you for those fees etc. so don't think anyone does (except for may be companies)

Ulla Harneit

Jasper
06-24-2017, 02:12 PM
I sent this to her.

Hello again. I'm not entirely sure what you are asking of me. I priced the horse and it is $50 USD to ship. Since I misrepresented the horse I will give you a $15 discount. So your total for shopping would be $35. Let me know how this works for you. Thanks. :)

I got this back from her this morning:

Import charges 59.74 when I m trying to pay for the horse these comes up. The horse 200$ shipping 34.22 and import charges 59,74. So I can pay directly to your PayPal 234.22 and then you have to ship the horse to me without using eBay global shipping.

What she is saying is that the horse is $200+$34.22+$59.74 for import charges. She's trying to avoid the $59.74. Correct? I don't know where she gets the $34.22 from for shipping though. I suppose I can re-weigh the thing. I'm sorry. I'm just confused. I can't tell if she want's me to sell off of Ebay, or not use GSP. Could I agree to mutually agree not to sell and then relist and not use GSP? I looked at the invoice and there is nothing I can do to change it.

VWK'sanEasyGoer
06-24-2017, 02:29 PM
I "think" the $34.22 shipping charge that the seller will not see but the buyer will see. It's the charge by ebay/pitney GSP. The few times I bought items with GSP I would see two different transaction summaries, one with the cost, shipping on the auction, and import. Then scroll down and there's be a second charge just for more shipping on top of everything else.

IMO if it was me I would mutually cancel this, and relist without the GSP. Then she would have no customs charge and the only shipping charged would be what you calculate and determine for the auction.

Any customs charges would happen via her contries customs office. The UK flags 100% of shipments for customs charges, Canada only randomly flags parcels for customs charges, I don't know what her country does but that seems to be her issue having them charged right off the bat through Ebay GSP

Lora
06-24-2017, 02:38 PM
Yes the 59.74 is custom fees , and the 34.22 is the amount GSP sents you to ship to the place in US + the amount what it cost Pitney Bowes to ship the horse to her.
and I agree, cancel the sale and relist without GSP and put in what it cost you to ship to Norway.
If you do not lie on the custom form she might still be hit with the 59.74 custom fees and I would tell her that you're not responsible for her having to pay those fees.

Ulla Harneit

VWK'sanEasyGoer
06-24-2017, 04:12 PM
Yes the 59.74 is custom fees , and the 34.22 is the amount GSP sents you to ship to the place in US + the amount what it cost Pitney Bowes to ship the horse to her.
and I agree, cancel the sale and relist without GSP and put in what it cost you to ship to Norway.
If you do not lie on the custom form she might still be hit with the 59.74 custom fees and I would tell her that you're not responsible for her having to pay those fees.

Ulla Harneit

:yeahthat Never lie on customs forms. :yes I've never asked a seller to do that. If she has to pay customs upon the the packages arrival so be it but that's between her and her customs office and nadda to do with you.

Jasper
06-24-2017, 06:46 PM
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate all the help. I think I will just cancel the transaction and relist the horse. Tell her when so she can do a Buy It Now. I just don't think settling it outside of Ebay is the right thing. I want to help her out, but I don't know if I can risk $200 and a horse.

Lora
06-25-2017, 06:42 AM
Another thing, if you sent the model without the Global Shipping Progrm , not too long ago, the custom office in germany did cut the neck of a Resin to check for drugs. Make sure you tell her that you're not responsible for that one either and that she knows that can happen .It is really very very rare that it happens, had hundreds of models coming from US not one was destroyed/damaged by custom office but it can haoppen and the custom office will not pay for the damage. they don't even care to mention anything...

Ulla Harneit

ElvenEquestrian
06-26-2017, 12:18 AM
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate all the help. I think I will just cancel the transaction and relist the horse. Tell her when so she can do a Buy It Now. I just don't think settling it outside of Ebay is the right thing. I want to help her out, but I don't know if I can risk $200 and a horse.

You definitely did the right thing, Stacie! I'm not as experienced as others on here, but I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that it is wrong for her as a buyer to ask you what she did. eBay does monitor messages and look for things like that. Never settle outside of eBay, and never lie on customs forms. :)
I have shipped internationally on a very limited basis, but never through eBay and never for things that were worth very much.

Just a tip: if she tries to leave you negative feedback, you can call eBay and they will remove it for you. Point them to those messages and explain your situation. Hopefully this won't happen to you! But I know that eBay will stand by you as a seller if you have documentation. I had an issue once with someone on eBay, about which I called eBay's help line several times, and they assured me that if any "revenge feedback" was left, I could call them about it.

Best wishes on getting your model sold without incident!