PDA

View Full Version : Mary not on so much just now, dealing with big storm, boo!

Mary
08-28-2017, 12:36 AM
I have to apologize for everyone waiting for Blab prizes. You will absolutely get yours! It is just taking more time ...

I haven't even had a chance to put two cents into the Harvey thread - and I have a LOT of opinions on what has been going on with this storm and the people end of it !!!
:gaah

:crossfingers Crossing fingers alone is not quiiiiiiite enough to be so bold as to say that I feel certain we will not be on television wading through the streets to rescue, so I didn't just say that. :toothy I feel fairly certain that this area north of the major storm flooding will continue to be safe and we will keep power and the toilets will flush (that is sometimes a problem with too much rain). And the grocery stores will keep re-stocking, and we'll be able to get there around high water and road washouts. There & back, since things can change fast.

I have relatives up from the coast staying with us as evacuees, and I've been teasing them that they didn't run far enough! :lol So I have two fragile elderly, two dogs, two able cousins, an old and fragile house, and we are watching carefully to be sure we don't need to move to a local hotel or pack up and run further north. Good chance we'll be able to stay put, which will be much better for the elderly who don't travel well.

Plan A, Plan B and Plan C are all lined up! The relatives will not have any way to get through the road closures to their homes 200+ miles south of here, on the coast, for some days to come. I think we'll get the household on a stable routine so that instead of having to be putting things right all the time, I'll be doing a lot more Blabbing. :puter :grin

Just for fun, here's the Texas road closure map. Expand the page to greater than 100% for a better/closer view. I'm in College Station northwest of Houston, west of Huntsville. Right now, so many closures are marked that it is hard to read the names. The blue bar circles are closures.
https://drivetexas.org/#/8/30.470/-96.077?future=false&sidebar=false

The rivers aren't so visible on that map, but CS has the Brazos River on the west side and the Navasota River on the east side. Both are rising but last I checked, not in major flood mode at this moment. Just for more fun, here's the Brazos level chart (next to Bryan is here). That's what ya call a trend! :lol The Brazos is not typically deep, and it is at the bottom of steep cut-bank ravines, so it can rise quite a bit before it overtops. If it does overtop it spreads massively over fairly flat terrain, many roads will be flooded and much livestock at risk.
http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=HGX&gage=BBZT2

Back to your regularly scheduled Blabbing ... :talk :toothy

curlinfan
08-28-2017, 04:46 AM
Glad you're safe and praying you & yours stay that way. I actually googled College Station Weather to check! Praying for you and all those effected by this storm.

dizzyriss
08-28-2017, 06:37 AM
Glad you're safe!

Beethovens7th
08-28-2017, 07:23 AM
Glad you're safe and praying you & yours stay that way. I actually googled College Station Weather to check! Praying for you and all those effected by this storm.
:yeahthat Only i didn't Google; talked to hubby's parents.

SeaWatch
08-28-2017, 07:32 AM
I'm glad you are safe. Hang in there!

texxdog
08-28-2017, 09:10 AM
Take care Mary. I am glad your family was able to get to you.

CuttingHorse
08-28-2017, 10:44 AM
Stay safe Mary!!!

Ghost_Wolf_Ranch
08-28-2017, 11:51 AM
Glad Mary's safe, I hope other Blabbers are OK, too. Lots of horrifying stories on the news about people who were told not to evacuate who are now in dire peril.

Northern Lone Ranger
08-28-2017, 12:12 PM
Good to hear from you Mary!

Stay safe!

Lindy P

DooWiki
08-28-2017, 04:12 PM
Yes, stay safe! :hugg

muggyscugglemeyer
08-28-2017, 04:31 PM
Stay safe, Mary! Hopefully, you won't have to use any of the back-up plans, but it's good to have them just in case.

VWK'sanEasyGoer
08-28-2017, 06:44 PM
Hoping all the best for you and your family :hugg

PennsylvaniaDust
08-28-2017, 06:55 PM
Stay safe Mary!! And don't worry about the prizes-all that matters is you are safe wherever you are! I am so sorry for your relatives-it looks terrible near the coast. :( But I look forward to your two cents on Harvey-keep on Blabbin' if you can so we know you are okay!

horsefreak
08-28-2017, 09:16 PM
I’m glad you’re ok :hugg

Lupineleigh
08-29-2017, 01:17 PM
The photos I've seen of the flooding are spooky. I'm glad you're safe and praying your respective homes stay safe and sound. :grouphug
My aunt volunteers for Samaritan's Purse. She just got back from cleaning up a flood somewhere elses, and she has her bags packed, ready to deploy to Houston whenever she's called.

saddlebredlover
08-29-2017, 10:06 PM
Glad to hear you are safe, Mary. Praying for Texas. :pray

Mary
08-30-2017, 10:52 AM

That is so sweet!! :hugg

As the fates arranged it, CS was JUST above the Big Circle of Big Rain. JUST. Twenty miles south of us got twice the rain we did and had/has major flooding. (I don't think I was smart enough to screenshot those maps !!)

The other thing that saved us was that there was only one day of heavy rain north of here, feeding the two rivers. In the past, when there have been sustained heavy rains north of here, that sends huge amounts of water down those rivers and caused major flooding, property damage and loss of life. So we escaped that as well.

The relatives who live on the coast 50 miles south of Houston still don't have roads to go home, and the assisted living center is not open. That is a day to day situation, but we can be patient as everyone is safe and provided for. :)

The river gauge again ... that big up-spike is going down now ... :toothy
http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=HGX&gage=BBZT2

Mary
08-30-2017, 11:05 AM
Although yesterday it was raining in the Houston area and floods were increasing, here is what we had, and no rain. Houston's gift for today, thankfully.

(Rockport, Port Aransas, Corpus Christi, etc. south of Houston want everyone to remember that they are nearly wiped out, even though they weren't the tv feature during the big rescue days.)

This photo series was taken yesterday, one after another, turning in a circle from facing south to Houston, to facing north to blue skies coming.

http://www.modelhorseblab.com/blabmisc/misc/HarveyClouds-1.jpg

http://www.modelhorseblab.com/blabmisc/misc/HarveyClouds-2.jpg

http://www.modelhorseblab.com/blabmisc/misc/HarveyClouds-3.jpg

http://www.modelhorseblab.com/blabmisc/misc/HarveyClouds-4.jpg

Mary
08-30-2017, 11:12 AM
And one more ...

This happened here in CS this past Sunday, Aug. 27th. Somehow "The Dodo" picked it up and made a beautiful video out of it. Notice how patient this rescue worker is with the frightened mare. Even in an increasingly urgent situation, he gives her the time she needs to trust him.

https://www.facebook.com/thedodosite/videos/1279946508806688/

Here is the news story about it.

http://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Horse-rescued-from-high-water-in-College-Station-441920543.html

There are hundreds of equine rescues much like this one going on in the flooded rural areas. Many of the horses standing in water to their chests are having to be reached and led out from boats. This spooks them, and apparently there are techniques to help them be more calm. Over the next few days horses will be evacuated to this county and my name is on a list in case volunteers are needed. They said they have a LOT of volunteers so far, not surprised, this is horse-crazy country! :)

Beethovens7th
08-30-2017, 03:19 PM
:wow

HorseshoeFarms
08-31-2017, 11:00 AM
I am so happy to hear that you are safe!!!!

CuttingHorse
08-31-2017, 12:52 PM
I'm so glad to hear you're safe!!

Mary
09-02-2017, 11:09 AM
It is amazing that the active rescue from flooding is still going on in the Beaumont-Port Arthur - Orange area. That is a long way from me, though.

Beethovens7th
09-02-2017, 08:17 PM
We have some friends in Orange county (Vidor TX) who had a foot inside their house. THANKFULLY THEY HAVE FLOOD INSURANCE, WHEW!!

Ghost_Wolf_Ranch
09-02-2017, 08:30 PM

OK for a moment there I thought you meant a HUMAN foot... :uh

Beethovens7th
09-03-2017, 06:03 AM

OK for a moment there I thought you meant a HUMAN foot... :uh

Heheh. Yeah, i was typing along and slipped and hit the caps button and since it takes a while for me to type, i left it. ;)

Mary
09-04-2017, 12:13 PM
We have some friends in Orange county (Vidor TX) who had a foot inside their house. THANKFULLY THEY HAVE FLOOD INSURANCE, WHEW!!

Thankfully, indeed! I didn't know you could even get flood insurance in Vidor. :toothy

Not that they have to tell us :grin, but it will be interesting to see if said flood insurance is renewed. Vidor is still under water, and the water is more contaminated all the time. The reservoirs breached, as I've been told. Massive loss of homes in that area.

Mary
09-04-2017, 12:14 PM
Posted this, kind of a follow-up ...

http://www.modelhorseblab.com/forums/showthread.php?178692-Flood-disaster-animal-rescue-wow-have-I-had-a-crash-course

Beethovens7th
09-04-2017, 06:41 PM
Thankfully, indeed! I didn't know you could even get flood insurance in Vidor. :toothy

Not that they have to tell us :grin, but it will be interesting to see if said flood insurance is renewed. Vidor is still under water, and the water is more contaminated all the time. The reservoirs breached, as I've been told. Massive loss of homes in that area.

Thankfully! Hubby says you can get flood insurance in Houston, too. :)

It is sad, though...i have memories of staying there one weekend with those friends while hubby and i were courting. We don't know if they are going to rebuild or not.