PDA

View Full Version : New! TWH In Progress, Pix In Thread!

twin_pines_studios
08-06-2005, 01:04 PM
Howdy!

Here are some pix of my very 1st sculpture, Charlie, a TWH gelding. I have been working on him for 2 days now, and as you can see, he has quite a LONG way to go until he can be considered finished. I am very happy the way Charlie is turning out tho, and very impressed at my own ability to sculpt. I hope you like him! Please, let me know what you think of him. I want to make changes now before its too late. Thanks!

Meet Charlie!

Click on this link below to view my latest pix of charlie! To enlarge the pix, just click on it to make it bigger! Enjoy!

http://www.albumtown.com/twin_pines_studios

ravensgate
08-06-2005, 01:34 PM
Well, for just two days of work he is coming along nicely! He's head is a little lumpy and his back a bit short. I used to work for the Walking Horse Celebration photographer, Jack Greene. He may have some good standing shots on his webpage. Go check his Walking Horse stuff out (pretty much ALL he does) before you progress or check out Walking Horse Report or The Scoop.

His site is

www.jackgreene.com

manx
08-06-2005, 01:48 PM
:agreed at least your doing a good job.....I cant wait to see him finished :D

MorBarbs
08-06-2005, 01:50 PM
Oh, a TWH in the making, great!
His head is really nice!! Cute nostrils! :)
Plz keep us posted.

brumby988
08-06-2005, 01:51 PM
The neck appears too short and the hindquarters too small. I agree that the back is too short. Did you use calipers to measure out the lengths? I hear that is what most sculptors do :)

twin_pines_studios
08-06-2005, 02:32 PM
thanks guys. Yeah, I haven't really added much muscling, and I really need to finish his legs. His neck is a little to thick, and his back DOES need to be longer, but that should come in its own time. Thanks for the help, I really apprecitate it! I'll kep you posted! THANKS! Any other suggestions welcome!

Graciela
08-06-2005, 02:46 PM
Nice work so far... My suggestions (take these with a grain of salt, as I know this was only your 2nd day of work!):

-His head seems too big and a bit chunky... Needs some more refinement and detail.

-His neck looks too thick/short...

-His back is definitely too short...

-He appears to have huge muscles in his front end, but the back end is really too skinny/flat.

The other thing I'd suggest is not to make it exactly like the other two similar TWH sculptures out there:

Independence- http://www.rosehorse.com/Walker.html
TWH by Maggie Bennett- http://www.equinartcreations.com/images/chestnutlftsd.jpg

Maybe you can change yours a bit to make him truly unique. That I would really like to see! :thumbsup

twin_pines_studios
08-06-2005, 03:28 PM
Thanks Gracelia!

Actually, I have a bunch of pix of Indy as a reference. I really appreciate your suggestions! :D

His butt looks small cause I haven't gotten to the muscling part yet back there, just started in the front. I have refined his nick and made him back longer already. Once I put hooves on and finish his legs, we'll have to see what he looks like because I think that is really affecting how we see him.

Do you ahve any suggestions on how to change him to make him unique?

ravensgate
08-06-2005, 03:35 PM

I haven't seen one with heavy shod pads on him in the park out pose.

Graciela
08-06-2005, 04:57 PM

You could...

-give his head a very unique position, different from the other TWH sculptures... maybe kind of like this (looking directly at something):
http://www.netposse.com/stolenmissing/stolenmissingimg/nymphRside.jpg

-lift up one of his rear back legs so it is relaxed/cocked a bit:
http://www.mcdodifarms.com/images/PaintsCopyOfCottonBlue.jpg
http://walkinghorseheaven.tripod.com/jakeromeo1%20.jpg

-have a braided mane

-have his tail swishing around the side of his body

I realize that some of these changes would not render your TWH in a "perfect" parked out stance. However, for this situation, I feel that advisable. There are already 2 amazing examples of parked out TWHs in both Traditional scale (Sarah Rose's Independence resin) and SM scale (Maggie Bennett's TWH resin). Thus, I'd like to see something DIFFERENT.

tibbi
08-06-2005, 05:09 PM
Good start on your little horse. I don't envy you working in super sculpy. I played around with one of your pics. Basically your horse needs to grow into his head. Generally speaking a horse is two and a half head lengths long. In sculpture it's better to make the head a bit smaller to help enphasise the power of the body. So two and a quarter head lengths is acceptable. Baring that in mind I didn't really get the proportions right in the retouched pic:)

I changed the angle of his shoulder pulled his head and neck back and made his neck longer. I also made all four legs longer.

When a horse is squared up like this the off leg should not be visible when viewing the horse in profile.

Tibbi

brumby988
08-06-2005, 05:28 PM
Thanks Gracelia!

Actually, I have a bunch of pix of Indy as a reference. I really appreciate your suggestions! :D

His butt looks small cause I haven't gotten to the muscling part yet back there, just started in the front. I have refined his nick and made him back longer already. Once I put hooves on and finish his legs, we'll have to see what he looks like because I think that is really affecting how we see him.

I've heard that it is a pretty bad idea to use another sculpture as a reference....from the artist chats here on Blab, it seems that it is best to use photos of real horses, never other sculptures.

I agree with Graciela, turn his head or swish his tail. Or maybe have him stretch his neck forward a bit, like he's reaching out for your hand or an apple or another horse :)

MaggieBennett
08-06-2005, 10:03 PM
There are already 2 amazing examples of parked out TWHs in both Traditional scale (Sarah Rose's Independence resin) and SM scale (Maggie Bennett's TWH resin). Thus, I'd like to see something DIFFERENT.
OMG! OMG! Someone mentioned me in the same sentence as Sarah Rose! :action-sm
Seriously, though, I would say that maybe turning the head more (or even having him looking straight forward) would help your sculpture to stand out.