PDA

View Full Version : Orders on Hold till compressor problem fixed....help...

blkkat
08-14-2005, 01:16 PM
Anyone "still" waiting on a painted order from me....last weekend I was painting, and my compressor is having "issues". Seems the airbrush was having trouble as well....so I contacted the art store I purchased the airbrush from (an Iwata Eclipse) and we have parts on order for that...but the compressor has to sent back to Iwata in OR....so god knows when I'll get it back.
Here's where I need help...
I bought an Iwata Smart Jet 4/03...yes I have used it...but for the amt I paid for it, and how much I've used it...I'm not real impressed.If they quote me over $100.00 to fix it....I'm really thinking about telling them to keep it, and just buy a new one.....Would LOVE to hear reports from other painters...about what compressor they are using, what they rec...I NEED HELP!!!! Kelly >^..^< (sitting here pretty mad about all this)!!!! HELP

Jeannine
08-14-2005, 01:19 PM
Actually, I just use a little tank compressor that I bought at Fred's discount store for $60. It has a tank and a pressure gauge and has lasted about 2 years now.

WPDR
08-14-2005, 04:37 PM
Actually, I just use a little tank compressor that I bought at Fred's discount store for $60. It has a tank and a pressure gauge and has lasted about 2 years now.

Yep I have compressor that we got at KMart. Like $75. It's been going for about 2/3 years now.

Mindy

blkkat
08-14-2005, 04:40 PM
You guys are killing me....so much for trying to buy the expensive ones....do you guys have moisture traps on yours???

Latigo
08-14-2005, 05:32 PM
Hi Kelly,
I have a compressor we bought at Home Depot.. It was about $100 and works really well. Really sorry to hear this happened!

Morgen
08-14-2005, 05:46 PM
This is interesting to hear... I have been shopping for compressors (dear boyfriend enjoys teaching me aaaaallll about them). Anyhow, we looked at art store and hobby store ones and they've got a lot lacking -- especially for the fact that they don't have tanks I guess: that makes for smooth air flow (so I'm told).

I wouldn't pay what the art/hobby stores are asking after learning what little I have. You can get ones from Lowes and Home Depot for ~$80 and buy the moisture trap separately. fwiw..

I still haven't made up my mind so I'd love to hear more! :)

blkkat
08-14-2005, 05:53 PM
I'd like to hear more too....I paid $250.00 for the Iwata Smart Jet , and like I said...I'm not really happy with this whole developement. I honetsly think I have not painted more than 35 models with it. So either I got the lemon, or just plain ripped off. I am waiting for Iwata to call me back, hoping they call Monday...we'll see.....

cyberwood
08-14-2005, 06:24 PM
I've got a big bruiser of a tank, 27 gallon - and a moisture trap, I've got a fin tunable regulator for the branch for the air brush, ever other branch flys by at 90 PSI for air tools. You can always get a regulator to step a big tank down, but you can't make a small tank act like a big one. :)

My tank is also stationed in my garage - so I don't have to hear it when it fills.

Jeannine
08-14-2005, 09:50 PM
Living in Florida, a moisture trap is a must! I've got it attached as part of my airhose and not part of the compressor.
I at first used a huge compressor which we also used for air tools but it was just too heavy to lug back and forth, thus the little one. It's kinda noisy while running, but what I like about the tank is that once it's full, I shut it off and just use the air in the tank quietly. If I start to run low, I flip the switch turn it on to fill the tank, and take a break while it's running. It fills in about a minute so doesn't take long at all.
Any small compressor from WAl-Mart, Home Depot, Lowe's, etc should work. Make sure it's got a PSI regulator and you may end up having to get a different adapter from whatever it comes with.

Appy38
08-14-2005, 10:26 PM
I have one I got at Sears.
I too had the little one from wal-mart with just a 2 gal tank. I went though 3 of them in 4 years.
Last year I got one from Sears with what they call a pancake tank that is 4 gals and I love it.
I think It was on sale when I got it. It was just under $200.00

triplebdesigns
08-15-2005, 07:33 AM
I know that D'Arry and Ed use Iwata compressors and I know D'Arry has had hers for at least 5 years now with no issues, but I don't know what model it is.

I use a larger compressor with a large tank (and yes Morgen - a holding tank for the air is important to ensure that you have constant and consistent air flow). I also have a moisture trap and regulator on mine (Morgen - regulator is WAY important). I do have a "T" on mine as well so I have two airbrushes hooked up at one time.