PDA

View Full Version : Update: donating the other 50% of NAN package to a hurricane charity - need ideas

Morgen
08-31-2005, 12:59 PM
Hi All,
I've decided that my NAN package that is coming back to me soon and was intended to go up on eBay shortly after I got more (clearer) pictures, will be a 50% donation to NAN as intended, but also a 50% donation to another hurricane related charity. Red Cross seems best but I do not know what other charities are in dire need of funds - I imagine there must be a # of animal ones that are extremely overburdened (for food, housing & medical supplies) right now.

Please share ideas so that when he gets here I can have hopefully figured out all that I need to on getting info for the auction about the 2nd charity. Tx!

Off to update avatar appropriately...

Equarius Studios
08-31-2005, 03:13 PM
heres a couple links you may find useful:
http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm/bay/content.view/catid/68/cpid/310.htm

http://pages.ebay.com/givingworks/

http://www.noahswish.org/

Enchanted Equines
08-31-2005, 03:22 PM
I just listed a few cm horses on Ebay for charity.If you decide to go the Ebay route,read the "missionfish" (Ebays charity auctions) carefully.There are a few administrative costs,$$ doesnt get donated right away and if 100% isnt going to one of the Ebay charities,then you pay the listing fees.Please read this for yourself and let me know if I misunderstood this.I was a little aggravated trying to join it.
With a little creative wording I managed to submit my auction without the red "possible Ebay violation warning" coming up.So hopefully they wont be cancelled.It would be much faster to just sell them privately and donate the $$ myself,but understandably Ebay doesnt want you to "use" the charity angle without going through missionfish.

Griffin
08-31-2005, 03:29 PM
How awesome of you guys! :hugg :hugg

As far as pets, there's Noah's Wish as was posted above... also, the Louisiana SPCA is accepting donations:

http://www.la-spca.org/forms/donations.htm (http://www.la-spca.org/forms/donations.htm)

~~Griffin~~

cranbonite
08-31-2005, 03:48 PM
Hey Morgen, I don't know about in the path of the hurricane, but Pennsylvania has this AWESOME group called PA SART (PA State Animal Rescue Team) that is basically a rescue-and-evacuation team for animals in emergencies! Basically does what the Red Cross does in disasters except for our animals, because the RC (understandably) is simply unable to take on this task with their resources, and many people can't stand the thought of evacuating (some refuse to!) without their animals. It was introduced to me at Vicky Bartlow's show in Muncy, PA in June and I happily bid on an auction item because it was 100% donation to this awesome group.

I know the rep from PA SART said that PA is one of the first states to start one of these. I think it was another mid-atlantic state that has the pioneering group in the country, and I think there are only 2 or 3 others in all, but just maybe, there's one down south by LA? Maybe even Florida for those folks? Definitely worth a google search!

Equarius Studios
08-31-2005, 03:49 PM
I've also got a donation up my sleeve - (he literally could fit!) anyway, I've never heard of noah's wish. I hate to be negative but I really want to be sure the whole thing is legit before I donate (it appears to be legit, but you never know). Has anyone dealt with them in the past or know anything else about them? I'm giving 75% of the (future) auction to the Red Cross, but haven't work out what I want to do with the remaining 25%.

Griffin
08-31-2005, 04:22 PM
I admit the NW web page does not look that professional-looking and would make me suspiscious as well. However, the founder was on CNN a couple days ago so that gives me some confidence.

~~Griffin~~

Roseridge
08-31-2005, 05:32 PM
Morgen,

I personally would be more likely to bid if it were going through MissionFish and to the Red Cross. Other charities are out there, but right now Red Cross seems to be the one which will need it most and be able to get the money put to use most efficiently.

Morgen
08-31-2005, 06:13 PM
Morgen,

I personally would be more likely to bid if it were going through MissionFish and to the Red Cross. Other charities are out there, but right now Red Cross seems to be the one which will need it most and be able to get the money put to use most efficiently.

Exactly... Well Mission fish (the eBay donation verification) lists these as donations to help the Hurricane relief effort:

http://www.missionfish.org/promo/2005/katrina/index.jsp

Although, it's hard to say which is more needy right now..

I have seen a lot of "Noah's Wish" footage of the workers in boats collecting pets and livestock all over hte place (many news sources).. but as another poster mentioned, people may not have heard of them and be suspicious.

The Red Cross is a universally recognized and very worthy cause if nothing else. I'd hate for people to avoid bidding b/c they feel a charity mis-used funds.

Here's another thought someone mentioned as an aside - letting the bidder choose the charity.. I dunno about that though - hahaha - geee... ok, I'll pay $___ amount for an auction but my charity of choice is me! (you know what I mean)... I've never seen that done before and don't know how that works.. :dunno

Melly
08-31-2005, 07:10 PM
Noah's Wish is highly reputable, and one of the unusual aspects of their organization is they work just as hard to reunite animals with owners as they do at rescue and recovery.

A woman named Teri Crisp, who has worked with them for 15 years, wrote a book called Out of Harm's Way about animal rescue in disasters.

They accept Paypal and I just sent them $300. I would like to think if something horrible happened that I left my kitties behind (although I think I'd die trying to get to them... ), these folks would be there to save them.

Roseridge
08-31-2005, 08:02 PM
Exactly... Well Mission fish (the eBay donation verification) lists these as donations to help the Hurricane relief effort:

http://www.missionfish.org/promo/2005/katrina/index.jsp

Although, it's hard to say which is more needy right now..

I have seen a lot of "Noah's Wish" footage of the workers in boats collecting pets and livestock all over hte place (many news sources).. but as another poster mentioned, people may not have heard of them and be suspicious.

The Red Cross is a universally recognized and very worthy cause if nothing else. I'd hate for people to avoid bidding b/c they feel a charity mis-used funds.

Here's another thought someone mentioned as an aside - letting the bidder choose the charity.. I dunno about that though - hahaha - geee... ok, I'll pay $___ amount for an auction but my charity of choice is me! (you know what I mean)... I've never seen that done before and don't know how that works.. :dunno

I don't know if I would be suspicious of a lesser-known charity, but I would want to check it out...Maybe if you do choose to donate to Noah' Wish you can include link(s) to and about that organization. That would help, I am sure...

I think letting the bidder choose would work best IF the choices were narrowed down to those that MissionFish would verify (do they do that? I haven't checked out exactly how that works, though I have been high bidder on several auctions through MissionFish-- but those benefitted a charity I knew already and were posted by a seller I knew too)...

Anyway, Morgen...Thanks for doing this!

Liz
08-31-2005, 08:14 PM
Morgen, just read the fine print with Mission Fish. I know when I was looking where to list my auction for the Tsunami appeal people on the ebay boards were in uproar at ebay and Mission Fish because of all the fees they took. Not sure if they have addressed that now.

I ended up listing my costume on mXc because they did not charge me fees as it was a donation item. I also decided to send my donation to Red Cross because they guarantee that no more than 10% will be lost in administration costs and they are audited also to make sure they are accountable.

Good on you for your very generous donation! :clap

Morgen
08-31-2005, 08:50 PM
Well I think everyone has convinced me that the Red Cross is still probably the best. I really like your info Liz about the good management of administrative costs (that's just such a toughie for any organization too!).

Ok, so then this Mission Fish fee thing... I wasn't aware of that - thanks for bringing THAT to my attention! Soooo then... what? Granted the NAMHAA record keeping minutes will eventually "prove" my donation there so no one is suspicious.. but how do I verify to "the world" that my Red Cross donation will be legit.. any alternative ideas to Mission Fish? I'd really like to keep it on eBay. I've said eBay to my group and everyone... don't want to change that now..

Liz
08-31-2005, 09:03 PM
What I did with my donation Morgen, is I posted a copy of the receipt of payment from Red Cross. I just wanted everyone to know without doubt that I had donated the money. I cut out the middle man because I wanted Red Cross to get 100%. I don't think (well I hope not!) anyone doubted that I did donate the money.

You are well known in the hobby and I am sure no one will doubt you will do the right thing. Only hobby members are going to bid on this auction most likely. If you want to put your own mind at ease just send a copy of the donation receipt to the winning bidder and or post a scan of it publicly.

Oh I think I just remembered something! EBay wanted an official letter from Red Cross at the time for me to be allowed to list a charity auction on eBay without going through Mission Fish! That's right!! It was totally ridiculous those people needed help right away but eBay would not budge on the Red tape. I assume the rules are still the same Morgen, if you don't go through Mission Fish you cannot list on eBay.

Your options are to go privately or mXc. My costume sold for $1200 on mXc so I think you will do ok listing there but not everyone likes mXc of course. Maybe even some sort of auctio nhere, where people can post their bids? I don't know I am just thinking out loud, not sure if there would be legal issues there for Blab but either way I will be there bidding!

Griffin
08-31-2005, 09:18 PM
Doesn't MXC charge fees now, though?

~~Griffin~~

Liz
08-31-2005, 09:22 PM
Normally, for hobby donation items they don't, well didn't. :dunno I would be very surprised if they said they wouldnt waive fees on donation items, I have found them to be very selfless in that respect.

Morgen
08-31-2005, 10:01 PM
Mmmmm. I may just bite the bullet and do the Mission Fish fees.

Sounds simplest and most "above the board". I'd hate to have the auction taken down messing around with making eBay happy. Now I'm wondering if I need a special letter from NAMHSA for the other 50%... ugh!

I don't get the difference then.. we have eBay donation auctions - like the Blab donations! - all the time - is it just because the "charity" isn't an official "charity" (like show donations, etc)..???

Liz
08-31-2005, 10:08 PM
Ok well you may have a problem, this is from ebay help pages .....

Guidelines for eBay Giving Works listings

eBay has selected MissionFish, a licensed nonprofit service of the Points of Light Foundation, to serve as the dedicated solution provider for eBay Giving Works. MissionFish’s valuable service and support includes: powering the nonprofit directory for eBay Giving Works; verifying that nonprofits are eligible for this program; collecting and disbursing sellers’ donations; providing sellers with tax receipts; and tracking donations online.

-------------------

I doubt NAMHSA is one of the approved charities so wont qualify above......

------------------

Guidelines for non-eBay Giving Works charity listings

Sellers may only list items for charity without eBay Giving Works if they:

Are soliciting on behalf of recognized tax-deductible charitable organizations (for example, 501(c)(3) status or equivalent with the IRS).
Receive advance written consent for the solicitation from the benefiting nonprofit.

To verify you received permission, you must include a scanned copy of the consent in your listing. It must appear with the nonprofit’s letterhead, signed by an officer and include the nonprofit’s tax-deductibility status as well as your name or eBay User ID, dates of event/listings, and donation amount (percentage of the final sale price).

It is all so confusing this is the exact :bs that I had issues with last time. All you want to do is help and your faced with all this! :bluerant

Morgen
08-31-2005, 10:14 PM
(insert explicative)

well they have done it in the past and so have other hobby charities.. but donating to both may present a conundrum then...

honestly. could ebay be any MORE obtuse? :rolleyes

i will talk with the auction coordinators about this. man am i glad i asked for input!

Liz
08-31-2005, 10:30 PM
Yes and unfortunately NOW is when they will be looking out for violations too. With the Tsunami they were pulling big ticket auctions left, right and centre that were in violation, total :bs

sonyaj
08-31-2005, 10:32 PM
It's such a shame that there is so much 'red tape' when it comes to wanting to donate to charity via an online auction! I'm just not even sure WHY eBay should care or get involved with someone wanting to sell an item to donate to charity or not. I personally would be very disinclined to use some "middleman", so to speak, like MissionFish, if it would take administrative fees out and/or just complicate matters.

I am considering what I have in my studio that I could finish up and sell for a 100% donation to the ARC or other relief organizations, and figured that if I do, I would have the winning bidder (or buyer) simply make a MO out to the American Red Cross and send it to me, and I would then send it on. That way, you can verify that payment was received and the buyer doesn't have to worry about the possibility of the seller "pocketing" the $$.

And, btw, :wave1 and :hugehug to you and everyone else that has decided to donate in whatever capacity to this disaster.

SJ

Intothesunstudio
09-01-2005, 09:52 AM
Does anyone know if Red Cross takes paypal? I'm also considering selling bodies and things here cheap to raise money to donate. I'd be willing to supply a receipt to people who buy from me so that they know I actually did donate the money. It's easy to do that if the Red Cross accepts paypal.

Anyone know?

And Morgen and others, you are incredibly generous to do what you are doing. It's sad that ebay has to cancel auctions because many people would advertise that it is for charity and then would keep the money. I think listing fees for donations should certainly be lowered or waived not increased. It sounds like ebay is trying to make money off of donation auctions and that, to me, is incredibly low.

Liz
09-01-2005, 07:59 PM
No I don't think they do Corrie, I transfered funds from my donation auction out of my paypal into my CC account and then paid Red Cross using my CC. They then emailed me an official PDF receipt which has a unique identifying number on it.

Intothesunstudio
09-02-2005, 06:48 AM
Okay, that's not a problem. I can just transfer the funds into my bank account that I have attached to paypal and then use that account to send a payment. I'm going through models that I don't actually need to see if there is something worth selling.

Morgen
09-02-2005, 11:30 AM
Well just a quick update - it seems like complying with eBay's policy for the NAN donation part shouldn't be too hard.. a signed letter photograph with the appropriate info should be all I need if I'm reading that correctly..

THEN, the other 50% going to hurricane relief is simple of course - I'll just accept the fact that for all the admin fees taken out by the vultures running the "sanctioned auctions" (mission fish and that other service), and encourage people to consider the admin fees when digging in their pockets!

Meanwhile, I just need to wait until the horse gets here (he's almost on his way - MGR is sending him ahead of getting the $ from the org to do so so this can happen a little faster) and getting the letter thing squared away with NAMHSA (that's under way).. I'm just hoping I can get all of that soon so I can get this auction underway quick. It's just killing me.
:sigh

Roseridge
09-02-2005, 12:59 PM
Morgen, I will be bidding. Thank you for all that.

Morgen
09-03-2005, 02:49 PM
Well new news.. I can't list anything in the eBay description about NAN (it's not a charity by the IRS yet, just a not-for-profit). Anyhow, I'll have to explain it on my posts to other lists why the NAN aspect is left off.. maybe it will prevent other's from having their auctions pulled b/c of the same eBay restrictions.
:sigh

Morgen
09-09-2005, 10:41 PM
I picked one - Emergency Animal Response - it has a terrible web site but imo, an emergency response charity that produces less paper and more action is quite worthy! I've only found good things about them online!

I was so torn too.. but with half already going to NAMHSA, I didn't want to split it any further.. and I REALLY wanted to see an animal charity auction because honestly, they're going to have to keep those animals for a long time but even if it helps one owner get their pet back, imo, it's so worth it!

And of course.. I've been spying on eBay for the past few weeks and it seems like a really bad time right now on eBay from what I've seen! :( Auctions for one this year's NAN champs having no bids even? (I can see not making reserves maybe but no bids? eek.. where IS everyone!). I've seen so little going for very much on eBay at the moment so I'm hoping that this way someone can donate to two worthy charities imo and benefit by getting a resin too. :crossedf:

Off to make a blab classified with the link now. Tx guys for helping me decide what to do though! (well, thanks for warning me and preventing me from making a big mistake that would've cost me $15 for nothing!).. ebay... just another corporation.. :rolleyes