PDA

View Full Version : a thought about animated avatars

MorBarbs
09-07-2005, 01:27 AM
This is isnīt really a suggestion, just a thought. I wasnīt sure if Iīd post this or not, but here goes, FWIW.

While I really enjoy Blab memberīs creativity they put into their avatars I want to say that strongly animated ones are really heavy for my eyes :ppplease it makes reading the postings harder because itīs kind of distracting. Ok, distracting in a positive way :) Maybe I am just too over-sensitive in that case but when I imagine the majority of Blab members using heavily-animated avatars -constantly blinking and changing images next to the postings- I think Iīm gonna go nuts :1action-s
Thatīs why I, personally, hope that the heavily animated avatars are not going to become a big trend @ Blab. JMHO and I do not want to offend anyone who is using such an avatar. As I said, I like the creations themselves, just saying that they are a lil problematic for my eyes.

seventhdream
09-07-2005, 02:46 AM
I don't mind them so much, but some of them go very very very fast, which does make them kinda distracting IMO.

LaughingStockStables
09-07-2005, 09:29 AM
I totally love animated avatars! :grin

AnnArrogance
09-07-2005, 09:31 AM
I don't mind them so much, but some of them go very very very fast, which does make them kinda distracting IMO.

:yeahthat I love animated avatars, myself, but the ones that go as fast as a strobe light make my eyes go ouchie. :cry

MarthaBechtel
09-07-2005, 09:35 AM
Oh... :uh I never meant to annoy anyone! But mine -is- a tad distracting... :sad

I'll swap mine back to a static one when I get home... can I at least claim a DayQuil induced pardon? I was in happy-orange-land yesterday! :grin

MarthaBechtel
09-07-2005, 09:36 AM
Gah! Wrong button! *beats head on keyboard*

Beyondanytherapy
09-07-2005, 10:36 AM
Martha, I personally don't think your's is too distracting. It's fairly slow and isn't bright and everywhere! hehe

Shinypony
09-07-2005, 10:54 AM
Martha, I personally don't think your's is too distracting. It's fairly slow and isn't bright and everywhere! hehe

Yeah, I didn't find yours too bothersome as animations go, but I hope they don't become a trend... they take longer to load and MHB is slow enough on dial-up without adding increases in time.

Cynthia Perry

MarthaBechtel
09-07-2005, 12:12 PM
Well, it's not -as- bad as my last one! :lol The warmblood slideshow was giving me such headaches yesterday (which is why I made a new one). I'm still thinking of editing the one I have now... *ponders* I soooo want to keep the pic of my hubby pretending to be a model and the frog prince! :lol

AnnArrogance
09-07-2005, 02:15 PM
Isn't there a feature to turn off avatars and sigs for people on dial-up in the User CP?

Not that I want to, but if anyone does, I think it's there!

And Martha, yours isn't irritating! I think it's cute!

BettyBarBandit
09-07-2005, 02:21 PM
I am very resentful of those freakin' animated avatars, as I haven't a clue how one goes about making one, and that makes me feel, well...stupid! I was just proud that I was able to get an avatar up at all!!

MarthaBechtel
09-07-2005, 02:52 PM
I am very resentful of those freakin' animated avatars, as I haven't a clue how one goes about making one, and that makes me feel, well...stupid! I was just proud that I was able to get an avatar up at all!!
Hehe... I have the Animation Shop from Paint Shop Pro. I've enver touched the thing until the little animated fish I did as a smiley.... then I got addicted. :lol

I used to make flipbooks when I was a kid, and I have a bunch of homemade animation cells from when I got a stop-action camera from my cousin. Nothing like getting 48 frames into something an realising you've put waaaaay too much stuff into the scene! :grin

flicksmom
09-07-2005, 04:44 PM
Isn't there a feature to turn off avatars and sigs for people on dial-up in the User CP?

Yep! There is. So anyone who can't stand them or can't stand their dial up with them can certainly check that option box!

Teresa

AnnArrogance
09-07-2005, 06:04 PM
Tee hee... I have a confession...

http://annarrogance.com/avatar1.gif

I made one, too. :D I won't post it, though, if people are having load issues...

LaughingStockStables
09-08-2005, 07:37 AM
Martha, I really liked your warmblood avatar. I was emailing it to people because it was so neat. :grin

Beyondanytherapy
09-08-2005, 08:22 AM
Martha, I really liked your warmblood avatar. I was emailing it to people because it was so neat. :grin

I'd be very uneasy doing that. That is a copyrighted piece, so really you should have asked permission before doing anything like that. :nono

booker81
09-08-2005, 09:35 AM
Hee hee...>I do have ghetto dialup, and one of the nifty things is they offere a free "website accelerator". It knocks the pixels on pics WAY down, slows gifs and stuuff. I can get the gist of things, but if I do want to really see soemthing, I can right click and I get options to refresh page in full quality or refresh picture in full quality. So people here's avs don't bother me, because I can't see em! They get pretty interestign when distorted though. However, usually when I see one that is differrent, or aI can't get it, I will refresh to full, and see it (like I ddin't know Matrthas was mroe that the Busch Garden pic, now I got to see the show!)

Only somewhat sucky thing si the smilies sometiems move and sometiems don't. Just have to right click them to make them work though!! And then, I think it cookies it, so that until cookies are cleaned, it stays working good!

Shinypony
09-10-2005, 10:25 AM
Yep! There is. So anyone who can't stand them or can't stand their dial up with them can certainly check that option box!

Teresa

Ah! Didn't know that... will go check now! Thanks!

Cynthia Perry

Shinypony
09-10-2005, 10:32 AM
OK... I see a place where I can turn off avatars... but not a place where I can turn off animations. If there is a place where I can simply turn off animations... without turning off all avatars, where is it?

I'm new enough that it just isn't obvious to me. I like avatars, don't mind sigs... it's the blinky animations that I'm less fond of.

Cynthia Perry

LaughingStockStables
09-10-2005, 10:40 AM
I'd be very uneasy doing that. That is a copyrighted piece, so really you should have asked permission before doing anything like that. :nono

Yeah, well, I wasn't. I was just showing my mom and my best friends the cool avatar one of my pals on Blab had.

MarthaBechtel
09-10-2005, 11:04 AM
Meh, anything I put on the web is bascially 'free to a good home' usage-wise, just as long as no one says -they- painted them! :) All I really did was take the thumbnails from my web gallery and run them all toghether...

MarthaBechtel
09-10-2005, 11:07 AM
If there is a place where I can simply turn off animations... without turning off all avatars, where is it?
Sadly, you have to turn off -all- or -none-. :sigh There may be a setting in your web-browser that will disable animated .gifs, but it would depend on the browser. I'd be willing to try and hunt down an answer for you if you'd PM me which browser (and version) you are using. :)

Shinypony
09-10-2005, 11:42 AM
Sadly, you have to turn off -all- or -none-. :sigh There may be a setting in your web-browser that will disable animated .gifs, but it would depend on the browser. I'd be willing to try and hunt down an answer for you if you'd PM me which browser (and version) you are using. :)

That's what I thought. I think I have a program on my machine that I can turn off the animations with, but wasn't running it to conserve on memory usage. Most likely I'll just not worry about it. We do plan to eventually get DSL and then it shouldn't be too bad an issue for time, though still hard on the eyes if they are fast blinkies... LOL!

I'm on Firefox v1.02... I might be able to find some kind of plug in that would do it.

Or maybe I'll just turn off sigs to help things load quicker. I like seeing people's avatars though!

Cynthia Perry

Shinypony
09-10-2005, 03:23 PM
Turns out Firefox does have an extension... problem solved! Huzzah for Firefox!

Cynthia Perry

bronzino
09-10-2005, 07:02 PM
Hee hee...>I do have ghetto dialup

Hahaha. Good term. Will use from now on.

Eliz

LaughingStockStables
09-11-2005, 12:21 PM
Meh, anything I put on the web is bascially 'free to a good home' usage-wise, just as long as no one says -they- painted them! :) All I really did was take the thumbnails from my web gallery and run them all toghether...

And of course you know I wouldn't do that. ;)

FoxfireFarm
09-23-2005, 10:10 PM
Personally, I find them annoying. All that flashing back and forth is distracting.

Delana

FoxfireFarm
09-23-2005, 10:15 PM
Turns out Firefox does have an extension... problem solved! Huzzah for Firefox!

Cynthia Perry

Cynthia, I'm on firefox too, where can I find that extension? :) I like seeing the avatars, so I don't want to turn them off completely.

Delana