PDA

View Full Version : stickying redundant threads

whitetail ridge
12-10-2005, 12:51 PM
It seems like everytime I stop by there is a new thread on the quality of the Stone Schylling models. There has to have been a dozen at least on this topic in one way or another. Could you combine them and sticky them or make it easier for new people to find them so we arent getting the same basic threads over and over? A couple of the other really huge forums I'm on do something like that to help reduce clutter on the boards. Sometimes the mods lock them and link to the previous discussion also. Just a thought...
Keep up the good work!

kidwitch
12-10-2005, 01:13 PM
I think this would make more unnecessary work for the mods. People can't post in the correct forums as it is, they have enough moving and shuffling to do. *shrugs* Just my opinion.

pipermaru
12-10-2005, 01:16 PM
Maybe it only seems as if there are many threads? I did an advanced search with "Schylling" in the title and only turned up two threads.

DrSteggy
12-10-2005, 01:26 PM
It would be helpful if we encouraged folks to SEARCH the forum before making a new thread--this way information isn't lost or repeated (I am unlikely to repeat myself on a subject I have already posted to, even if a new thread is created!)

the other forum I frequent is pretty tough on this--we have relatively FEW threads, but they are very LONG ones (Some get large enough they need to be stopped and archived by mods) The moderating team on that forum is very good about policing that, but have been since day one. I think trying to combine the repeat threads currently here would be a huge undertaking since there is a 2 year history of them now! Perhaps its something to start now--and we can all request that newbies (And oldbies) start searching for a given subject before posting about something.

Jackie

Raventyde
12-11-2005, 12:29 AM
I would have to agree that I don't see locking/combining duplicated threads as a nessesary or needed issue. Yes, it would be great if people would search first, but for the most part fellow blabbers are quick to tell people if a thread has "happened before" and direct the person to the proper links. There are also threads posted of the same topic, but with NEW, relevent information - and in which case I'm quite happy to find the new thread, previously visited or not.

I also belong to another board that is very diligent about lock/combined "simmiliar" threads. From my personal experience, I must say it is ANNOYING AS HECK. You end up with a thread pages upon pages long that you need to surf through just to find the one, new point of interest sandwiched between the casual banter. And when do you start drawing the line as what constitutes as a new subject? If becuase one person has mentioned Schylling models, should ever other comment about them be then directed into this one thread? It can get VERY complicated, and VERY frustraiting.

Personally, I like the Blab how it is. I can read what's relevent to me, and ingore posts of no interest.

Neena ~

Anime Horse Freak
12-11-2005, 05:26 AM
On another forum I belong to for anime, they get pissed if you reply to an old topic (like over a month old) and they lock topics that are dragged from older pages. It is rather annoying. But, they say you should start a NEW discussion. They also lock multiple listed topics and direct the original poster to the correct thread. That I don't mind too much as its frustrating trying to discuss TSC SRs in 3 or 4 different threads. (yes, reference for this website).^_^

Le_Mule_Chic
12-14-2005, 03:34 PM
Maybe it only seems as if there are many threads? I did an advanced search with "Schylling" in the title and only turned up two threads.

I'm not sure the search works all the time. I went looking for something that I KNOW I saw a couple months ago, and the search never turned it up.

Kristi Hale
12-14-2005, 03:45 PM
I've had trouble using the search, too. :dunno

And I did start one of the Schylling threads... :rolleyes