PDA

View Full Version : do NOT enter this photo show!

th72
10-28-2004, 12:59 PM
hi everyone! I have gotten an e-mail from a friend of mine who entered a photo show last month held by Natalie Whittaker. she paid $25 to enter the show and get some raffle tickets (yes, it was a little pricey), but then the show was never held and she never got her money back!! and Natalie has stopped responding to her e-mails.

so now we see that Natalie is having another show!!!

http://www.wheelsoff.com/sales/viewitem.asp?ItemID=139518

I would highly recommend NOT entering this show (though it may be too late, since the show is in just a few days). I really hope that this girl isn't bad news all around, but be aware that she does have models for sale as well.

thanks for reading.

--tara

CementRoseStudios
10-28-2004, 01:50 PM
Isn't she the same girl that was, "fishing for compliments" on MHSP a few weeks ago?

mumtaz
10-28-2004, 02:40 PM
Isn't she the same girl that was, "fishing for compliments" on MHSP a few weeks ago?

Yep, one and the same.

BearsnBugs
10-28-2004, 05:18 PM
Did your friend get her photos back? Is she out money and photos?
I'd be seriously ticked off.
I can't imagine spending that much for a photo show, how high are entry fees now? I haven't entered a photo show since 2000.

Tina

Renee527
10-29-2004, 03:27 PM
hi everyone! I have gotten an e-mail from a friend of mine who entered a photo show last month held by Natalie Whittaker. she paid $25 to enter the show and get some raffle tickets (yes, it was a little pricey), but then the show was never held and she never got her money back!! and Natalie has stopped responding to her e-mails.

so now we see that Natalie is having another show!!!

I wrote her and asked a lot of questions about her (first) photo show and got some really unusual responses... many of which struck me as being from a young person.
If she's a kid... good luck getting any restitution .. though those of you who lost money to her might be able to attempt to find out who her parents are.

Renee527
10-29-2004, 03:29 PM
Did your friend get her photos back? Is she out money and photos?
I'd be seriously ticked off.
I can't imagine spending that much for a photo show, how high are entry fees now? I haven't entered a photo show since 2000.

Tina

:bs $25 is ridiculously high. I photo show all the time and the most I've paid is around $4-$5 and those are for Heidi (Reaves) photo shows.
I'd highly recommend her shows, by the way ... judging is fairly quick, results timely, and she gives away neat prizes.
I show in a couple of clubs and the POS are usually free.. and the benefits maybe $1 or $2 + SASE's.

We've had small LIVE shows here that we haven't paid much more than $20-$25 to enter. No way in heck I'd pay $25 to enter a photo show.. sorry

th72
10-29-2004, 04:45 PM
thanks for your input and concern everyone. :)

the photos she entered were online. but the payment....well, my friend FINALLY got a response back from young Natalie! SUPPOSIDLY Natalie pushed back the show to November first...but not telling any of the entrants? that's just stupid. I don't mind when judges push back a show IF they send an explanatory e-mail.

as far as the entry fees, it was $1 PER photo (yes, pretty high, and even my friend knew that), so she only entered 5 photos ($5 total). then she spent $20 for the raffle. that's how she paid $25. it wasn't ALL entry fee. :)

and I have also entered Heidi's shows! they are wonderful!! I'd recommend entering hers too. she is super to work with!

well, we shall see if Natatlie actually goes through with her show "as promised". I'll keep you posted.....

--tara

mako864
10-29-2004, 05:27 PM
I think she's like 15 years old. Her eBay feedback is 100% positive (do you have to be 18 to register on eBay)? If your friend has probs getting her by email then maybe she can go into eBay and pull her phone number and other contact info. Or, since she has her address she should be able to get her phone number that way. I dunno, just thoughts. Regardless I'm not sure I'd enter a show being held by a person that young unless she had a good references.

cranbonite
10-29-2004, 06:06 PM
That really stinks....and $1 per photo? That absolutely absurd. How does someone get ANY entries at all charging that kind of price?

The Pour Horse photo show (held by Liz Holm every year) costs $15-$18 to enter. But, that includes a ceramic PH pin made by Joanie as well as chances for some of the most fabulous prizes imaginable (those awesome Pour Horse trophies/cookies, gorgeous ribbons, and various other PH memorabilia) AND full-color results with each champion (drooool :drool ) printed on photo-quality paper. It's the only show I'd pay a high fee for.

Beth B
10-29-2004, 06:22 PM
I think she's like 15 years old. Her eBay feedback is 100% positive (do you have to be 18 to register on eBay)? If your friend has probs getting her by email then maybe she can go into eBay and pull her phone number and other contact info. Or, since she has her address she should be able to get her phone number that way. I dunno, just thoughts. Regardless I'm not sure I'd enter a show being held by a person that young unless she had a good references.

You must be in a deal with her on eBay to get her contact information. You must have bought or sold something to her to get the contact information. They got new rules about how to get contact information. I think people were abusing the contact infomation function and now they made it so you had to be in an eBay auction with her. That's how it been for about three years now.

Beth

CementRoseStudios
10-29-2004, 08:54 PM
Yes, you do have to be 18 to deal on e-bay.. I don't get how so many minors can get on and use e-bay so easily! It really p*$$es me off!
Mostly because you can't really press charges against them because they're minors....!
:wtf :thumbsdow

Renee527
10-29-2004, 09:09 PM
thanks for your input and concern everyone. :)

the photos she entered were online. but the payment....well, my friend FINALLY got a response back from young Natalie!I'll keep you posted.....

--tara

I thought the big benefit to online showing was the fact that it was essentially free? Don't tell me we've now gone to judges charging MONEY to enter ONLINE shows? Is this a new trend? I can see BENEFIT shows.. YES .. but ... not online.

Hopefully young Natalie is very organized because I've found online shows to be an ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE compared to snail mail photo shows.
If she has little or no experience .... all the entrants may be in for a shock.

:sigh

Renee527
10-29-2004, 09:16 PM
Yes, you do have to be 18 to deal on e-bay.. I don't get how so many minors can get on and use e-bay so easily! It really p*$$es me off!
Mostly because you can't really press charges against them because they're minors....!
:wtf :thumbsdow

:agreed

They can get on ebay because ebay has no way to verify ages. In fact you don't even need a CC or bank account to open an account. So any 10 year old can sign up. All you need is an email account!

But hey, let's not just pick on kids/minors. Morons of ANY age can sign up with ebay.. including people that don't read or understand much English. Then they get P*ssed off when you slap them with a negative because they have (0) f/b and they send you a check (and your auction says MONEY ORDERS AND PAYPAL ONLY) .. or they see USA ONLY and they bid knowing they live in Pakistan. And then there are those that use Ebay to troll and make trouble.. by bidding on dozens of items and then just walking away. Or people that don't read the auction descriptions where it SAYS in the DESCRIPTION of a stablemate: "3 inches tall" and they slap a neutral on you stating: "horse was smaller than expected" (yep that happened to me about 6 months ago).

The fact is, ebay in the past, has been very good to me. But the more time that passes, the more problem children I've run into.
It's very unfortunate indeed. :(

cranbonite
10-29-2004, 10:02 PM
Well, actually, these days you do need a credit card. About two years ago, I had some issues with my account (eBay closed it because I didn't pay them the $0.00 I apparently owed them! and it was impossible to get through to them to figure out what the heck was going on) so I decided to just open a new one, as I had a new email address with which I could do so (my college one). I hadn't been able to do so previously (it closed about 6 months before I could open my new one) because I didn't have any CC! But by the time I started school I had a debit card that just happened to be a Visa, so I was able to use that...but, admittedly, I was 16 at the time. I've actually been using eBay since I was 12. Maybe I shouldn't have, but I never had a single neg, always paid and shipped promptly, and until that stupid computer glitch or whatever it was never had any troubles with eBay about my fees. Grr on that. But I was able to sign up in 1998 because back then, there was no stricture whatsoever. No checking of things, no requirement of proof of a transaction to leave feedback (my younger brother and his friends made accounts and all left each other feedback so that their Pokemon cards would sell! Then when they got mad at each other they'd leave negs for no reason and things like that. It was quite awful - they were example of kids who shouldn't have used it...) so it's better now. But if a minor has some way to access a credit card or has a debit card like I did, they're fine. Or worse, some parents say to their kids, Sure you can use my account to bid. And don't take responsibility afterwards.

Griffin
10-30-2004, 12:55 AM
Yep, I do think you need a CC now. At least, to sell things you do.

I agree that parents really need to pay more attention to their childrens' online doings. I've been using ebay since I was 14 or so. I'm the one that created my parent's account (with their permission.) My brother used the account as well. The parents have never even used it once. I doubt they even know the user name or password of their own account. I always told them when I was going to buy or sell something on ebay, though. Now it sits in limbo, since both my bro and I have our own accounts. It has 100% positive FB, so I think we did OK. Still, parents need to be more active with things like this. My brother and I could have certainly "gotten away" with lots of stuff if we had the inclination to do so... my parents just didn't pay that much attention, for whatever reason.

~~Griffin~~

Hellen
10-30-2004, 01:07 AM
Gosh Griffin :D It's nice to know you weren't a problem child :grin :hugg

Lora
10-30-2004, 02:31 AM
In germany you don't need a credit card to open an ebay-account. The only think they do is asking "Schufa", but as long you never had a credit or bank trouble, your name is not registered there... Wold be so easy to ask for personal ID card-number (like at post office if you want your parcel, unless the person working there know you personally) , there could be a possiblility for E-Bay to check if the datas left by the person, who wants to have an account is registered with this numbered like they say... won't be a 100%-safety anyway...

CementRoseStudios
10-30-2004, 12:48 PM
Renee527 :roflmao
OmG! You are so right! I really hate some people on e-bay. It's like - READ THE DAMNED AUCTION! The terms for most people are clearly freaking listed!
I have one auction that it's been 25 days since it ended, and I've already filed the non-paying bidder alert for it. The chick is STILL e-mailing me trying to claim that some pre-paid CC she's trying to get won't/hasn't gone through, (regardless of the fact that I don't take CC anyways!!) She's nuts is she thinks I'm going to sell her the horse after all this time.
I got my final value fees, and as far as I'm concerned she's my horse again.. (So I'm re-customizing her!)

I just realized we've so hijacked this thread from being about the photo show, to e-bay..
We're heathens! :devil

Renee527
10-30-2004, 01:23 PM
Well, actually, these days you do need a credit card. .

You do not need a credit card to BID if you are in the USA. To SELL, yes, but not to just simply open account and bid.

I know that for a fact because I have 3 ebay ID's and only have a CC linked to one of them.. the one I use to sell with, but I can freely bid with the others.
Maybe it's different for overseas?

cranbonite
10-30-2004, 01:42 PM
You do not need a credit card to BID if you are in the USA. To SELL, yes, but not to just simply open account and bid.

I know that for a fact because I have 3 ebay ID's and only have a CC linked to one of them.. the one I use to sell with, but I can freely bid with the others.
Maybe it's different for overseas?Really now? That's STRANGE, because I haven't sold anything on eBay since my new account, but I know they required a card for me to open...oh, wait. Duhr.

It was if you were using a "free web-based email" service as your confirmation that they needed the credit card. I guess maybe THAT'S why I waited until I got to school - I had another email address that was my school one and thus was more valid or something. It was PayPal that the debit card got used for...oh, did it get used. :lol Okay, you're right Renee, sorry to confuse anyone!

LaughingStockStables
10-30-2004, 01:53 PM
I entered Natalie's show just because I only had two ponies to enter. She did email me to tell me that she moved the date. Also I just did a successful trade with her. maybe she's out of town or something? :confused

I agree about the ridiculous prices. The highest I've ever charged for a photo show is $5.00. That's with prizes and however many photos you want to send!

th72
10-30-2004, 02:25 PM
Sara, I'm glad you are one of the youngins in this hobby with your head on straight. :)

my friend had sent Natalie SEVERAL e-mails over the course of a few weeks to which Natalie never responded. but she did finally hear from her. I guess Natalie pick and chose who she would write to. *shrugs with a smile*

anyway, I'm sure things will work out. hopefully she (Natalie) will learn and grow through these experiences! :)

--tara

Renee527
10-31-2004, 01:32 PM
Really now? That's STRANGE, because I haven't sold anything on eBay since my new account, but I know they required a card for me to open...oh, wait. Duhr.

It was if you were using a "free web-based email" service as your confirmation that they needed the credit card. I guess maybe THAT'S why I waited until I got to school - I had another email address that was my school one and thus was more valid or something. It was PayPal that the debit card got used for...oh, did it get used. :lol Okay, you're right Renee, sorry to confuse anyone!

yes if you are using a free web-based email account you DO need a credit card for any type of account, so I was wrong also. However I've never used free web based email for running ebay .. so that's why it didn't cross my mind.
Generally, you do NOT need a CC but there are instances where you do. I used to have AOL and you could have up to 7 S/N's at any one time and it's terribly easy to create them.

DrafterGirl
10-31-2004, 04:52 PM
I entered one of her shows... still have yet to get my money or photos back! Not even an email nor a result list!

LaughingStockStables
10-31-2004, 06:22 PM
Thanks Tara. Guess I'll send her an email about a horse I'm s'posed to send her then she'll respond. I'll make sure she's getting the show on the road for y'all. :grin

Shady Creek Farm
10-31-2004, 08:11 PM
:bs $25 is ridiculously high. I photo show all the time and the most I've paid is around $4-$5 and those are for Heidi (Reaves) photo shows.
I'd highly recommend her shows, by the way ... judging is fairly quick, results timely, and she gives away neat prizes.
I show in a couple of clubs and the POS are usually free.. and the benefits maybe $1 or $2 + SASE's.

We've had small LIVE shows here that we haven't paid much more than $20-$25 to enter. No way in heck I'd pay $25 to enter a photo show.. sorry

Does anyone have the link or address for Heidi Reaves' photo shows? Since several of you have recommended her, I'll have to check out her shows. :)