PDA

View Full Version : Beginnerís Corner :: Getting Started ďstickyĒ ?

Leesa
11-05-2006, 04:33 AM
I came up with this brilliant idea to finish a medallion in pastels as a birthday gift for one of my friends, but have ***NO*** experience in customising a model horse, at all. I have never prepped, primered, painted or stripped a horse. I never stepped foot in an art classroom when I was at school (which was MANY years ago), so Iím coming from a complete head in the sand background. I literally donít know the first thing about where to startóand Iím sure I canít be the only one.

After spending the last 3 days sifting through pages and pages (and pages!) of old threats in the beginnerís corner, trying to get a handle on the "equipment" I need to get started, I ended up with total information overload, more confused than ever and no idea where to begin. And again, Iím sure I canít be to end up feeling this way.

So... I thought a "sticky" thread, which will appear at the top of the Beginnerís Corner forum, might be beneficial and prevent the same topics being repeated over and over again.

Can a sticky thread contain sub topics? If so, perhaps things can start at the very beginning:

Prepping

Equipment needed

Sandpaper
*insert product here* to fill gouges & pinholes etc
Files
blah
Primer
Blah blah

How to

What to wash/scub with
Repairs
Blah
I think you get where Iím going with this by now

Helpful tips and suggestion
Useful Websites

Danielle Feldmanís prepping how to comes to mind here(I would have been completely lost without it)!
As does Rio Rondo website

Then, maybe we can have the same thing for different mediums:

Pastels

Equipment needed

Suggested/recommend pastel brands
Suggested/recommended colours (do ALL brands call their colours the same thing? E.G. is burnt sienna, burnt sienna in *every* brand of pastel?)
What to apply the pastels with
Brushes (sizes needed)
sealant
fixative
Blah blah

How to

How to shave pastels
When to seal/use a fixative
Dapples!
Blah
Details: eyes, hooves
Again, I think you get where Iím going with this by now

Helpful tips and suggestion

Use acrylics/oils for eyes/hooves/fine details
Suggested/recommended brands
What colours to buy
Brushes required
How to apply
Blah Blah

Useful Websites

*insert website here*

Acrylics

Repeat as for (say) pastels but perhaps add in some airbrush recommendations etc
Oils

Repeat...
Stripping

Repeat...
I suppose thereís no end to the amount of information that can be added hereóand getting too much conflicting information is one of the problems I found. So instead of it being an open forum where anyone and everyone can post, perhaps it could be locked and certain ("experts" in their chosen medium) asked to contribute and only the moderator update the initial sticky thread?... Gosh, I have so many ideas: A focus on detailing, dapple-greys, colour formulas, etching, repairs, sculpting. I could go on and on.

But yeahóthatís my idea. Itís a huge task, but I think it could really help a lot of people. Maybe it would just be easier to write "model horse customising for dummies"?

seventhdream
11-05-2006, 11:18 AM
Can a sticky thread contain sub topics? If so, perhaps things can start at the very beginning:

No, they can't. Broken down like that, each topic would need it's own separate sticky, which would probably take up the entire first page of posts, and maybe part of the second too.

Maybe it would just be easier to write "model horse customising for dummies"?

:lol It probably would! :haha

I suppose thereís no end to the amount of information that can be added hereóand getting too much conflicting information is one of the problems I found. So instead of it being an open forum where anyone and everyone can post, perhaps it could be locked and certain ("experts" in their chosen medium) asked to contribute and only the moderator update the initial sticky thread?

That at least sounds like a much more managable idea. :wink

I probably shouldn't mention it quite yet, because it's no where near to taking off, but a "how to/did you know" section was something Mary and I discussed a few weeks ago. Real life keeps adding to the delay of getting anywhere with it though. :sigh

Raventyde
11-05-2006, 11:36 PM
I would second that idea! :rocker

The times I needed to find spesific beginner's "how to" info were usually spent wading through thread after thread for something I know I'd seen, somewhere... (now, was that in Begginner's corner, or the Custom section, or Sculpting & customizing...?) People seem not sure where to post to begin with, so they post everywhere... and occationally, it gets very hard to follow.

Having a spesific place - with the *right* info - would be fantastic - even if it's just a links section to the sites of knowlegable people with rockin' tutorials. Those helped me imensely when I was starting :)

Neena ~

seventhdream
11-06-2006, 12:16 AM
I'll get back with Mary on the whole how to section soon... My cat died yesterday, and well, I'm avoiding anything that requires brain power or resembles anything similar to work for a while.

Florian
11-06-2006, 07:51 PM
Terrific idea! I know absolutely nothing about the artistic background on model horse customizing and would find it very interesting on how the customizing artist approaches all aspects of this fascinating hobby. I'm not an artist...but I sure admire the gorgeous creations I've seen in pictures on the 'Net..and it would be very interesting to see how the model was created...from sketch to armature, to casting, painting, down to the finished, painted product.