PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Threads

dmickle
02-10-2007, 10:41 PM
I've been noticing quite a bit lately that a few select users are posting the same subject in multiple threads. It's tolerable for a little while, but the certain user I'm thinking of has 4 active threads about the same model.

I don't really know what anyone can do about this, it's just getting a little annoying :) Anyone else feel the same? And what can we do to politely express to this user that she needs to keep posting on a single thread, not use a new one every time? And what can we do in the future to prevent multiple threads from clogging up the forums?

Landshark
02-10-2007, 10:49 PM
I'm thinking maybe some people don't realize how the thread shows up and they can keep posting to it (i.e. their post really won't get lost but they don't realize that?). I like to use the "New Posts" refresh to try to keep up on things. I dunno - just thinking out loud.

dmickle
02-10-2007, 10:55 PM
That could be it.

I just think four active threads about the same thing is a little much.

rainworks
02-10-2007, 10:57 PM
dunno, I noted it as well. Its driving me nuts.

Leesa
02-10-2007, 10:58 PM
<snip>what can we do to politely express to this user that she needs to keep posting on a single thread, not use a new one every time? And what can we do in the future to prevent multiple threads from clogging up the forums?
Let the moderators deal with it. It's one of the reasons we have them.

PM the moderator or report the threads if they're that much of a bother http://www.modelhorseblab.com/forums/images/smilies/confused-smiley-013.gif You could even add the user((s)--you refer to "a select few" to begin with and mention "this user" later, so I'm not sure if there's one or many) to your ignore list?

dmickle
02-10-2007, 11:12 PM

PM the moderator or report the threads if they're that much of a bother http://www.modelhorseblab.com/forums/images/smilies/confused-smiley-013.gif You could even add the user((s)--you refer to "a select few" to begin with and mention "this user" later, so I'm not sure if there's one or many) to your ignore list?

She was on my ignore list until she started posting rude comments on my threads and I wanted to see what she was saying.

BeezerMom
02-10-2007, 11:14 PM
I would also love for threads with the same exact topics in them to be combined.

champlain
02-10-2007, 11:25 PM

I discussed it with one of the mods today and the best solution for me was to put the poster on my ignore list. I don't like doing that but the repetition really annoys me. :randommil :randommil :randommil :randommil :randommil :randommil :randommil :randommil :randommil :randommil Kate

Stacy
02-10-2007, 11:27 PM
24 posts on the one horse in about 7 threads...

Yeah and the Youth forum is helping...

Leesa
02-11-2007, 03:08 AM
I discussed it with one of the mods today and the best solution for me was to put the poster on my ignore list. I don't like doing that but the repetition really annoys me. http://www.modelhorseblab.com/forums/images/smilies/freakout.gif http://www.modelhorseblab.com/forums/images/smilies/freakout.gif http://www.modelhorseblab.com/forums/images/smilies/freakout.gif http://www.modelhorseblab.com/forums/images/smilies/freakout.gif http://www.modelhorseblab.com/forums/images/smilies/freakout.gif http://www.modelhorseblab.com/forums/images/smilies/freakout.gif http://www.modelhorseblab.com/forums/images/smilies/freakout.gif http://www.modelhorseblab.com/forums/images/smilies/freakout.gif http://www.modelhorseblab.com/forums/images/smilies/freakout.gif http://www.modelhorseblab.com/forums/images/smilies/freakout.gif Kate
I feared that's what the "solution" would be, which is why I mentioned it. The seeming lack of actual solutions is really getting to me, but that's something for another thread.

<general comment>

I don't know.... I'm think there's something in the FAQ about repeating threads, maybe posting a reminder would help?... Or just keep on reporting the threads until something is done about it?

I honestly didn't know who everyone was referring to until I went and looked--I don't read anything that goes on in the OF forum, so I didn't pick up on it.

Leesa
02-11-2007, 03:12 AM
24 posts on the one horse in about 7 threads...

Yeah and the Youth forum is helping...
But... As mentioned by the mods, the youth forum isn't there to lock the "kids" up in-- it's an under 18s "WOYM" forum. They are going to have the same rules in their WOYM as we do in ours.

Yoda
02-11-2007, 03:20 AM
This isn't a "youth" problem. Just this week a "senior" Blabber reposted a thread because she "couldn't find the other one I posted" despite many responses in that thread. :dunno

Leesa
02-11-2007, 03:22 AM
This isn't a "youth" problem. Just this week a "senior" Blabber reposted a thread because she "couldn't find the other one I posted" despite many responses in that thread. :dunno
Which leads me to ask... Do people know what their user control panel is? I have to admit, I didn't when I first joined. It took me a couple of days to figure that one out.

Yoda
02-11-2007, 06:36 AM
And what can we do to politely express to this user that she needs to keep posting on a single thread, not use a new one every time? And what can we do in the future to prevent multiple threads from clogging up the forums?

You could post this image when things become redundant:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b145/ilovestandardbreds/dejavu1.jpg

champlain
02-11-2007, 11:10 AM
or this?

http://www.keytools.co.uk/free_stuff/repetition.gif

seventhdream
02-11-2007, 05:49 PM
I discussed it with one of the mods today and the best solution for me was to put the poster on my ignore list. I don't like doing that but the repetition really annoys me. :randommil :randommil :randommil :randommil :randommil :randommil :randommil :randommil :randommil :randommil Kate

The ignore list isn't 100% effective. If the person is on your ignore list, you still get subjected to them when people quote their posts in threads. AND you can still see all 93 threads about the same pony that they started.

BeezerMom
02-11-2007, 05:58 PM
You could try : http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/royalhaven/Funny/deadhorse.gif

Mithren
02-11-2007, 06:52 PM
Yah, why can't we have an Ignore function that is truly a bona fide Ignore function? ;)

Morgen
02-11-2007, 07:04 PM
To answer Mithren really quick.. because it's not part of the V-Bulletin package probably... dunno b/c I hate coding php and don't do it myself.

There are other ways to "ignore" however.

From the FAQs;
http://www.modelhorseblab.com/forums/faq.php?faq=17#faq_new_c

Everyone's welcome - and there's a LOT of differences!
Everyone's different. Blab is a big community, and therefore full of a LOT of different personalities. Some are strong, and some are not so in-your-face. Everyone has a place at Blab. Please keep in mind, and be respectful, of the different personalities - and at the same time, live and let live.

As for 13year olds that drive you crazy and you can't ignore.. sorry. Please try to understand that hte mod team is flying around in our spare time this weekend answer PMs and reports and talking to people.

Discussion tends to happen behind the scenes more often than not. I do believe somoene merged the threads where possible. If not, go ahead and report whatever else we've missed if it really does drive you crazy.

To be honest, if it wasn't in the beginner's forum that I get reports on, I'd have no idea what you folks were talking about b/c I guess I kinda am used to exhuberant kids and adults as well. And there HAVE been a lot of interesting discussions on a variety of things lately - so I just didn't notice some of these "redundant issues" myself until that reported post came in). Plus that silly-annoying- :blahblah enthusiam? I guess it just kinda rolls off my back more since I see it in real life and in emails a lot? PLUS, :2spy I was pretty enthusiastic as a kid myself and, well, honestly, that one-track-minded-horsie-kid still thrives today and makes me a living.. and it worked really well for me in the corporate world to throw my heart into "projects" and "goals" 100% as well... so I can sympathize as I try to steer a person into getting to the point or (cough-chuckle) try to change the subject once in a while.. anyhow, but yes, for those who feel we are ignoring you; we're not.

Morgen
02-11-2007, 07:09 PM
FYI:
More U.S. Children Being Diagnosed With Youthful Tendency Disorder (http://www.theonion.com/content/news/more_u_s_children_being_diagnosed)

I personally seriously wish I *hadn't* had to grow up so quick.. I love that story! :adore

ChickenBUTT! ;)

wobbler_kitty
02-11-2007, 09:28 PM
We do have a rule about cross-posting in the FAQ (http://www.modelhorseblab.com/forums/faq.php?faq=18#faq_30).

BUT....
New, young or inexperienced members don't always know, read or remember all the rules. If another member notices these things going on, just fire off a PM to a mod. We aren't everywhere and are pretty busy so we probably didn't notice this type of minor infraction. A friendly PM to the member directly, informing them of Blab's rules and guidlines, will usually do the trick too.

Since this particular thread seems to lean towards being about the younger or inexperienced members. And the fact that lately, there has been some intolerance of their style by some experienced members.....
I'll reiterate that the Youth Forum is in fact not a place to "contain" anyone.
It's there so younger members can talk and post in their own way. Mostly off topic, light hobby talk and real horsie chat is also welcome. We still want them to utilize the rest of the board properly AND use Youth OT when they want.

I hate to keep singling out the younger members here but I will say this.
We're not going to ask the kids not be kids. No one is going to tell them to 'grow up' or 'be seen and not heard'. Sorry but Blab is for ALL ages and if parents out there allow their children to be online without supervision, well, I'd rather they be here than a billion other unsafe places on the internet.
Most, if not all of us, started this hobby in our childhood. And granted, there are some conversations here that are not suitable for all. But no one is asking anyone to play babysitter. Just asking for reasonable, mature responses to what are, in the grand scheme of things, pretty minor issues.

Side not about modding:
We DO discuss all PM's, post reports and these types of threads. But if you didn't recieve a direct response, doesn't mean we aren't looking into it. I mean, if you complained about a coworker or classmate and they were pulled into the boss's or principle's office, you wouldn't expect the boss or principle to come out afterwards and discuss the outcome with everyone, would you? 9 times out of 10, when we chat with a member about something they may be doing wrong or bothersome, they are very receptive, friendly and usually didn't realize they may have been breaking the rules or coming off wrong.

Having 1500+ members with ages spanning probably 5 decades, everyone has to realize that there's a very large variety of personalities, upbringing, culture, intelligence and beliefs. We all have to be a bit tolerant of how each member learns to use and integrates themselves with the board and it's membership.

seventhdream
02-11-2007, 10:02 PM
We're not going to ask the kids not be kids. No one is going to tell them to 'grow up' or 'be seen and not heard'.

I don't think anyone wants this.

I do think that folks just expect them to be held to the same standards in regards to the rules as everyone else is, and not be excused for any misbehavior solely on their age.

The ages of those being discussed weren't even brought into play (other than an obscure comment in post #9, which had a follow up post with someone pointing out it wasn't limited to kids) until Morgen's post. :wink

champlain
02-11-2007, 10:29 PM
I do think that folks just expect them to be held to the same standards in regards to the rules as everyone else is, and not be excused for any misbehavior solely on their age.

http://www.modelhorseblab.com/forums/images/smilies/agreed.gif

If I were to start mega threads on one subject, I would think I would be contacted and told that that is improper forum etiquette.

Morgen
02-11-2007, 11:04 PM
Well just so's folks know, we are making an effort to contact all people reported upon. Iow offenders are reminded of the rules or shown the help they need. Floggings won't be public tho.

There have been a good # of young teens reported upon lately. It's really kinda sad in some cases to have to follow up on these. Sorry but it's really true - some cases are just someone getting confused with how to post etc.. to hear that "blab is over wrought with annoying behavior" when people are just having confusion is so discouraging to me. That's obviously not an official mod opinion just a personal one.

You'll notice that I've stepped down from modding some forums.. and I'm sure folks waiting for me to do my online business replies with them are noticing here and there I have to respond here first befoer I can clear my thoughts and have proper replies to them at times too... So I guess my request for more tolerance stems from there. Again, more personal than not.

I don't have time now to look up what was merged or removed by any other mods as it's past my bedtime. Anyhow, guess that's all. :sad

Leesa
02-12-2007, 01:08 AM
Ya know---mods have lives, jobs, families etc, I get that. I honestly do. But. If they don't have the time to browse through the forums they "moderate" and actually look at what's going on, then I have to ask, why are they even a moderator? How on earth can they effectively "moderate"?

*If* all this comes down to not enough time, put more moderators on.

*If* it's all a matter of people being confused and not knowing how things work, give them a simple step by step over view when they join... E.g.--you can keep track of the threads you've created/participated in via your User CP.... If you want to use an avatar, you must be a paid member.... Once you become a paid member, it may take 24-48 hours for your account to be upgraged to the paid status---I've lost count of the amount of times this one has come up recently.

Is it really that hard?

And just for clarification--this post is not aimed at any user/moderator/whatever, it's purely my thoughts on some of the things that have been bought up. And something I've said about a billion times before.

Yoda
02-12-2007, 02:19 AM
Just asking for reasonable, mature responses to what are, in the grand scheme of things, pretty minor issues.
Having 1500+ members with ages spanning probably 5 decades, everyone has to realize that there's a very large variety of personalities, upbringing, culture, intelligence and beliefs. We all have to be a bit tolerant of how each member learns to use and integrates themselves with the board and it's membership.

:agreed

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste,
and remember what peace there may be in silence.

As far as possible, without surrender,
be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
and listen to others,
even to the dull and the ignorant;
they too have their story.
Avoid loud and aggressive persons;
they are vexatious to the spirit.

If you compare yourself with others,
you may become vain or bitter,
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs,
for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
many persons strive for high ideals,
and everywhere life is full of heroism.
Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection.
Neither be cynical about love,
for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment,
it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years,
gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline,
be gentle with yourself.
You are a child of the universe
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God,
whatever you conceive Him to be.
And whatever your labors and aspirations,
in the noisy confusion of life,
keep peace in your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

Morgen
02-12-2007, 02:19 PM
Leesa, you hit the nail on the head in some ways, yes. More mods or less but with more time would be perfect.

I'm really not at liberty to discuss what Mary's been working on but she reads these posts very thoroughly and is also taking a lot of action behind the scenes at the moment.

My position as an artist makes my volunteer work here really awkward. When Mary gets her game plan (formed and in progress) more underway I will most likely be resigning as well. I've been planning to for over a year now but things have just been too controversial and I haven't wanted it to reflect on Blab either. For me it's simply that my life has changed SO drastically in the past 3 years from a corporate lifestyle to htat of a boarding farm manager/freelancer. My reasons for having less time are obvious, the awkward part stems from a business perspective, and ALSO (and imo most importantly), my personality is such that I just don't make a good hot-topic mod type. I skim through a lot of posts in my areas and don't "see" problems the way other people do.

I'm thick headed I guess? Insensitive maybe? Perhaps a lot of those things. I try not to be but I probably am. It's certainly not personal. I don't have time to hold personal grudges - my life is primarily about scooping horse poop and struggling to make ends meet to pay hay and grain bills, and staying warm - lol! A simple life and one that doesn't leave room or energy for keeping up on grudges or following conflicts.

Which is why, may I reiterate again and again, please report or PM a mod when you are frustrated.

I also do not speak for "Blab" as a whole very well.. again, that has to do with the artist person and the personality of not being too interested in conflicts. I can't keep conflicts between people straight at all. Which is why I don't watch a lot of TV for instance. lol! ;)

Anyhow, just please know that mods are being invited to join left and right and the rest of the team is discussing how to handle annoying posting patterns. I really don't know what else to say. I don't speak for the whole community or mod team at all. I just feel bad that you guys want answers asap and a few people have been away this weekend and other's are at their jobs right now. I tend to have at least a half hour a day to sit at my computer tho so that's my limitied input on the matter. :)

dmickle
02-12-2007, 03:53 PM
I wasn't expecting answers right away, and I didn't know if reporting the threads was the right thing to do. I was originally wondering if it was bothering anyone else, because if it's just me then the mods can be expected to satisfy only one person.

I also know that it's a difficult matter that might take a while to solve. I just hope that none of the younger members are discouraged to the point of not wanting to talk on Blab anymore.

champlain
02-12-2007, 05:20 PM
I just hope that none of the younger members are discouraged to the point of not wanting to talk on Blab anymore.

I know I am and I'm not a younger member but that's my problem and I'll get over it. :randommil Kate

Mary
02-12-2007, 08:24 PM
Yes ... some of our younger members are a bit discouraged at some of the treatment they have gotten from adults. Like everything else on Blab, it's less what is said than how it is said. Some of the adults have addressed things quite reasonably ... others not so much.

It's an interesting balance between keeping things open and keeping some policies in place. With an open attitude toward self-expression, modding is more reactive. First something happens. Then mods react. The thing that happened doesn't go away, it stays there. (Kind of like real life. :wink) I don't think most Blabbers want to see posts being deleted, even if they were darn annoying. So since we can't know that infraction was coming before it did, well, there it sits.

In some cases I hope you see a gradual lessening of infringements on the part of a repeatedly-infringing individual. And, other than posts of the kind the mods have made here, Blab isn't going to publicly flog people. There is also a wish not to make a bigger public deal out of a small issue than it merits.

Things are being looked into, actions being taken. Is Blab going to be clean, shiny and scrubbed all the time? Nope, not if we value differences in members and newcomers.

Just some thoughts ... :)