PDA

View Full Version : A Closed Artists' Forum?

Danelle
05-21-2007, 10:52 PM
Here's something I'd like to see on Blab ... a closed forum so that artists can discuss (i.e., sensitive) things they might be reluctant to talk about in the open forum. Is this something the Blab powers-that-be might consider?

-- Danelle

nekomi
05-21-2007, 10:54 PM
I think this is a great idea, Danelle! :thumbsup

Kristi Hale
05-21-2007, 10:55 PM
Who gets admitted?

Syciata
05-21-2007, 10:56 PM
Isn't that like what WOYM is?

Danelle
05-21-2007, 10:57 PM
Artists.

-- Danelle

Kristi Hale
05-21-2007, 10:59 PM
I'm an artist. Would I get in?

Danelle
05-21-2007, 11:01 PM
To clarify: I don't suggest this as a place like WOYM, but a forum specifically for artists and the business of being an artist. Some issues can be sensitive and I know that many of us don't feel comfortable discussing them on a public board ...

-- Danelle

Rayvin
05-21-2007, 11:22 PM
If you don't mind me asking, what topics did you have in mind?

qtrhorsecowgirl
05-21-2007, 11:25 PM
I'm an artist. Would I get in?

Me too.. inquiring minds want to know..:)

Danelle
05-21-2007, 11:42 PM
The business-end of things ... and genuine support.

-- Danelle

Melissa
02-16-2008, 03:23 PM
what would you have to do to qualify? I have never sold one of my pieces, and I can't unless I want to get kicked out of the youth show at BF. I still sculpt and paint though

ramiethepeep
02-16-2008, 04:10 PM
The business-end of things ... and genuine support.

-- Danelle

A place for artists to gather to support one another is a fine idea on paper, really fine, but in reality? I think that a forum dedicated to such things would be counterproductive at best and highly detrimental at worst.

I mean, say you think that Miss Thang's business practices are unethical, and you'd like to see if other artists agree with you.. well, if Miss Thang was a member of that forum, what then? And which is the better audience for an opinion on business practices - fellow artists, or customers? Sure, fellow artists DO buy work, but were it me, I'd want to ask my customer base if they thought that This or That policy was fair.

As for genuine support, *sad head-shaking* .. again, that's too hard to define. What is 'genuine'? What's 'support'? Is 'genuine support' a tough but fair critique? I would find that supportive; but another person might be deeply hurt - everyone ELSE has ALREADY busted on the piece, they were hoping for 'genuine support,' not criticism. My 'genuine support' is a group of people that are willing to tell it like it is so I can improve; that person's 'genuine support' is a group of people that are an emotional tidebreak when art gets hard. Both attitudes are 100% fair, 100% valid - IMHO, I suppose I should say. Not everyone feels that way, though. FAR from it. For the purposes of a forum that offers 'genuine support' to fellow artists, though, we'd have to pick one of those ways at the expense of the other - not a very good solution, methinks.

Last but not least, I will be frank with you and say that I don't like the idea of having a part of Blab that would be closed to others for such a nebulous reason - who decides what an 'artist' is? Painters? Sculptors? Anyone who's ever taken a heat gun to a Breyer Andy? Age limitations? Degree of professionalism - PROFESSIONAL artists only? 'Established' artists only? What about aspiring artists - they're the ones who stand to benefit the most from interaction with artists who have 'made it.'

The parts of Blab that are closed to the membership-at-large, are that way for very simple, straightforward reasons: WOYM is a place for Blab-seasoned 'adults' to 'let their hair down.' 'Blab-seasoned' is determined by number of posts and length of membership. 'Adult' is defined by the USA age standard of 18. The Youth forum is a place for Blabbers under 18 to talk about the things that interest them, without us stuffy grown-ups rolling our eyes at them. ;)

So, there's my $1.25 on the matter, for what it's worth.

HorseChick
02-16-2008, 04:27 PM
Ramie, I'll raise you a $1 ;)

I, too, like the idea, in theory.

I have problems with it for the same reasons Ramie states. Who is an artist? Do I count? I sell out of everything I've ever painted and yet I sell SM decorators.

I have no answers on it and I think it a neat idea, Danelle, but how do we go about implimenting it? :dunno

eventingpony24
02-16-2008, 04:39 PM
I think this is a fantastic idea, the only problem would be the conditions in which you could enter the forum.
I am a beginning artist and have yet not sold any peices, but it would be nice to talk with experienced people before finalizing my policies and such.. But then again, I don't know if I would be considered an "artist" yet.

hi_d_hi
02-16-2008, 04:53 PM
My 'genuine support' is a group of people that are willing to tell it like it is so I can improve;

:yeahthat To me genuine support is honest. Even in SWDYRT you get the tooty fruities saying the generic "awesome, wonderful, blah, blah, blah" which doesn't help anyone and tends to inflate egos. I don't know if that's what Danelle means, but honesty is high on my list of give it to me, or forever hold your peace. I too like the idea of the forum, but it tends to give a feeling of elitism or separatism which rubs me the wrong way. Now a separate board for model horse artists, that's a do-able thing. Of course there are other boards out there for artists, but if you want to get specific I would think someone needs to create one.

jasper978
02-16-2008, 07:01 PM
I putz around at home with the occasional sticks of pastel, exacto knife, and now apoxie, but I don't know if that would make me an artist.

This is the sort of thing that comes to my mind when reading the title of this thread.

"I wonder if they will talk about their buyers... trash talkers on their finish work.... who to sell too/avoid... why a person closed to commissions will take on commissions for an insane amount of money..."

Danelle
02-16-2008, 08:57 PM
At this point, having one here on Blab would only be redundant, so no worries. Carry on.

-- Danelle :)

Jujube12
02-16-2008, 09:31 PM
Danelle, you may want to look into becoming a member of RESS (if not already) if it's business-related questions/topics you're interested in. RESS is pretty well geared towards the professional equine artist, tho' they also have members who are purely "appreciators" of model horse art. :)

--Julie

Mary
02-16-2008, 10:05 PM
At various times the mod team have discussed "private" forums of one kind or another, if there seemed to be a particular need at that time. The consensus has always been that this would rather cut cross-wise of the Blab dynamic. Although not all forums are accessible to all members. all members over 18 have the choice to access any forum, by paying the fees and by 'qualifying' (through posts and membership length) and requesting WOYM. So theoretically at least there is no discussion on Blab that the adult members couldn't see for themselves if they wanted to.

It is an interesting idea. There might be alternative solutions for the need for private discussion areas. Let's say the topic is always open for discussion, even if a private Blab forum is not something that is likely to happen in the near future. People can contribute their thoughts if they like.

Schnauzer
02-17-2008, 02:45 PM
[QUOTE=hi_d_hi;808615]:. I too like the idea of the forum, but it tends to give a feeling of elitism or separatism which rubs me the wrong way. QUOTE]

As a hobbyist who is strictly on the consumer end of things, I'm getting very very turned off by the ongoing "Them vs Us" mentality. It was so much fun to get excited by working on a project With an artist. We used to all be friends and I miss that sense of comraderie. Sigh. There are some notable exceptions, and my heartfelt thanks go to you for remaining approachable.
Ann