PDA

View Full Version : Adding Date to a View

Landshark
06-03-2007, 09:35 AM
I use the New Post view option almost exclusively... it would be great and helpful and wonderful if the original first point date (date of thread creation) was shown. It's hard to know when threads are created or how old they really are. You have the date of the most recent post displayed in the view so why no post the date of the original post?

Thanks!

Anime Horse Freak
06-03-2007, 01:38 PM
Adding to that, I'd like to request that old threads be locked so they can't be drug up again, like has happened quite a bit today. Old threads talking about time-sensitive info (Christmas gifts and Old JAH Conn. model announcements for example) should really be locked after there are no more people posting in them. Say lack of posts after 3 months and then lock it? It was really irritating to start to read the last page of a thread and realize it had been last posted in back in 2005 until someone brought it up again.

If someone really wants to post about the locked thread then they can always start a NEW one. When locking it the mod could put "Locked because thread is old. If you'd like to comment or ask questions please start a new thread. Thanks."

Landshark
06-03-2007, 01:52 PM
Adding to that, I'd like to request that old threads be locked so they can't be drug up again, like has happened quite a bit today. Old threads talking about time-sensitive info (Christmas gifts and Old JAH Conn. model announcements for example) should really be locked after there are no more people posting in them. Say lack of posts after 3 months and then lock it? It was really irritating to start to read the last page of a thread and realize it had been last posted in back in 2005 until someone brought it up again.

If someone really wants to post about the locked thread then they can always start a NEW one. When locking it the mod could put "Locked because thread is old. If you'd like to comment or ask questions please start a new thread. Thanks."

Yeah you and I are thinking along the same lines. I was reading that Conn Thread really thinking someone know something about the next Conn model (I even thought I read about a LG in there). Then I realized after all the reading how old it was - very disappointing! If the date had been on the thread in the view (or it had been locked as I'm surprised it wasn't from over a year ago) then this wouldn't have happened. Thanks, Mods!

MorBarbs
06-03-2007, 02:11 PM
Adding to that, I'd like to request that old threads be locked so they can't be drug up againBut sometimes I find those old threads quite useful...would "locked" mean they can still be viewed but not posted to anymore?

Man O War
06-03-2007, 02:59 PM
But sometimes I find those old threads quite useful...would "locked" mean they can still be viewed but not posted to anymore?
Yes :)

I think that threads that deal with customizing tips and the likes should stay open but the others about new releases and those types should be locked like Anime Horse Freak said.

Anime Horse Freak
06-03-2007, 09:51 PM
Yes, like Manowar said. You can still view them, just not post in them and bump them up to the top anymore.

wobbler_kitty
06-08-2007, 10:45 PM
I'm not sure that the date thing can be done. It's probably just how the software is. Most of those little things aren't just easy, manual tweaks. I don't know what the newest version of vBulletin looks like, perhaps that is something available there.

As far as locking old posts. That would be incredibly worky on the mods part. Scanning certain forums past a specified due date and locking threads one by one, isn't something anyone has time for. I don't know of a way to make it automatically happen either.

It can aslo be seen from the other POV of "why is someone starting this topic again?" Some people find it annoying to see a new thread about a topic that was just discussed not so long ago. They feel that using the search fuction and posting in the older thread, rather than making a new one, is the better way.

I think there's a fine line between discussion of a reoccuring topic and bringing dated information back to the surface. Deciding between the two would be incredibly time consuming. I guess at this point, a gentle reminder about the latter is probably best. :)

Anime Horse Freak
06-09-2007, 06:38 PM
Blargy. Sorry, but I know that on other forums that is one of the mods' jobs, to lock old topics that don't need to be brought up. It is extremely annoying to read "New Conn models!" from 2005! I locked many old topics when I was a mod on Animeleague. It was expected of us. Make me a mod and I'll do it for ya! ^_~