PDA

View Full Version : Avatar

For The Love Of Horses
09-22-2007, 10:37 AM
I think every one should be able to have an avatar! :bloom:

Man O War
09-22-2007, 10:42 AM
Well, it's one of the perks to get more paid members. If everyone had avatars, there would be one less incentive for a member to become a paid member. :)

For The Love Of Horses
09-22-2007, 10:45 AM
That it true. But, I know that some poeple get turned off of a site when they know that they have to pay to get an avatar.

delacroix3721
09-22-2007, 12:23 PM
thanks, FTLOH! :)

i wouldn't mind having one : P but i'd hate to take away a perk from all the paying members.

nice thought though! :bloom:

Melissa
11-08-2007, 08:16 PM
what if non paying members had to have small avvies? like 100x100?

SeaWatch
11-08-2007, 08:25 PM
Well, it's one of the perks to get more paid members. If everyone had avatars, there would be one less incentive for a member to become a paid member. :)

:yeahthat

Besides, the non-paying members can still put signatures (with photos) at the bottom of their posts.

Mindy

Laura G
11-08-2007, 08:34 PM
That it true. But, I know that some poeple get turned off of a site when they know that they have to pay to get an avatar.

Well, when you're a paid member, you get more than just an avatar, you get access to all the forums. That's why I'm a paid member. :)

Arabesque
11-11-2007, 08:12 PM

Besides, the non-paying members can still put signatures (with photos) at the bottom of their posts.

Mindy

I think it's a nice idea that non-paying members get avatars, but you also have to consider that it costs the site $$ for every member that uses an image with their posts. It takes up extra band width (I think that's what it's called)--which the paying members also help cover the costs of. :wink

For The Love Of Horses
11-15-2007, 09:53 PM

Mindy

Well...Some people turn off the sig thing so that the iste runs faster on dial-up from what I have heard.

And the money thing...Yes, but I would still be a paid-mem so that I can get into more on blab! :yaymiller
And I know other people would feel the same way.

Cindy_VH
11-15-2007, 10:13 PM
Everyone has avatars on FL, I have noticed.

Kristi Hale
11-15-2007, 10:31 PM
Is that the site that crashes or gets hacked all the time?

Stitch
11-15-2007, 11:33 PM
yep same one..

Liz
11-16-2007, 07:42 AM
Everyone has avatars on FL, I have noticed.

Do they? I cant get the site to load it's so slow even on my now lovely fast broadband connection! :woot

Mary
11-16-2007, 02:58 PM
What's paid and what's free has changed little, if at all, since I assumed Blab ownership last year. I respect the thought that was put into those decisions at the time they were made. Paid members do support the community, including the cost of providing the services and also the costs of contests and other interesting things that, well, cost. We welcome the free membership, they add much to Blab.

As pointed out, free members can dress up their signature areas as they wish within the sig size limits (click here for info.) (http://www.modelhorseblab.com/forums/faq.php?faq=18#faq_28) But the perks of paid membership are the reward for those who take that step.

bronzino
11-16-2007, 05:28 PM
Well...Some people turn off the sig thing so that the [si]te runs faster on dial-up from what I have heard.

You can turn off avatars, too. If you have a slow enough connection, you won't want to see any pictures - either avatars or signatures. So there is no particular advantage to having the ability to display one or the other. Personally, I think having both an avatar and a signature option is a little redundant. :)

For The Love Of Horses
11-17-2007, 09:54 AM
Do they? I cant get the site to load it's so slow even on my now lovely fast broadband connection! :woot

Ya...Im not to found of FL...I have a fast internet and FL is SOOOO slow....

For The Love Of Horses
11-17-2007, 09:56 AM
You can turn off avatars, too. If you have a slow enough connection, you won't want to see any pictures - either avatars or signatures. So there is no particular advantage to having the ability to display one or the other. Personally, I think having both an avatar and a signature option is a little redundant. :)

ok..I didnt know that.

Ya...it is a perck [sp?] but...The bigger perck is that you get to go places the non-mems cant....And of course you dont have to have avatar if you dont want to...

:dancealot
What if....You can have a sig with in 100 days of getting on blab??? That way...only the people that get on blab alot can have one and not just the people that get on for one day and get off. ??? Does that should better?

Man O War
11-17-2007, 12:40 PM
What if....You can have a sig with in 100 days of getting on blab??? That way...only the people that get on blab alot can have one and not just the people that get on for one day and get off. ??? Does that should better?
I'm confused as I don't really see how this would do anything to benefit Blab? :huh

midnightshetan
11-17-2007, 02:04 PM
Well, when you're a paid member, you get more than just an avatar, you get access to all the forums. That's why I'm a paid member. :)

I agree with this! I like accessing all the forums! :)

For The Love Of Horses
11-17-2007, 02:20 PM
I'm confused as I don't really see how this would do anything to benefit Blab? :huh

It would make it so that it doesnt slow blab down to much by only having the people that get on alot have the avatars and not the people that just go on that once and never came back but took the time to add a avatar.

Liz
11-17-2007, 06:51 PM
It would make it so that it doesnt slow blab down to much by only having the people that get on alot have the avatars and not the people that just go on that once and never came back but took the time to add a avatar.

Hmm well if they never post you don't see their avatar anyway?

Also I don't find Blab slow to load at all :dunno

For The Love Of Horses
11-17-2007, 06:54 PM
Hmm well if they never post you don't see their avatar anyway?

Also I don't find Blab slow to load at all :dunno

No...when they have been on for 100 days they get a choice to use an avatar.

I dont either, but I think that some people think if we ALL had an avatar it would..

Man O War
11-17-2007, 07:27 PM
But we don't all have an avatar as it's staying as a paid member bonus.

Arabesque
11-19-2007, 09:58 PM
I dont either, but I think that some people think if we ALL had an avatar it would..

It might not necessarily take so much time to load as it would take up the site's bandwidth--bandwidth that isn't paid for. :dunno

midnightshetan
11-20-2007, 02:20 PM
But we don't all have an avatar as it's staying as a paid member bonus.

It is one of those quirks and bonuses about being a paid member. :)

hi_d_hi
11-21-2007, 12:23 PM
No...when they have been on for 100 days they get a choice to use an avatar.

I don't think an avatar is a selling point. It's the forums not the avatar, why people join.

Mary
11-21-2007, 10:39 PM
Thanks for all the comments. It's always a good idea to raise a point that has been on someone's mind.

The avatar policy will stay as is. Do appreciate the suggestion, though!

Paintgurl07
12-26-2007, 04:31 PM
The only reason I'm a non-paying member is because I'm not able to substitute teach yet. Just finished my student teaching (5 months of working for free while paying tuition!) I have tons of paper work to fill out and still an $85 test to take to get certified. Needless to say after this holiday season, I have no money and even less! I get really frustrated when I can't look into a forum or reply with a comment or question. The ones that I'm most frustrated about are the sales forum. Why on Earth is everyone not allowed to reply on that? I guess it's good that I can at least look at it. Just stinks.

wobbler_kitty
12-27-2007, 03:15 AM
The ones that I'm most frustrated about are the sales forum. Why on Earth is everyone not allowed to reply on that?

It's the way the settings work, all or nothing. Otherwise, if we were to allow everyone to post there, they could also start threads for their own sales and that's a paid members perk.

If you find that you are interested in a sale, then contacting that person directly would be your best bet anyhow. Or if you just want to compliment them or comment on their ad, you could do so through the rep system. We also routinely delete sales ads after a certain time period so your posts would dissapear at some point anyway.