PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Blab discussion

Mary
12-30-2007, 09:13 AM
Please add your thoughts on Blab discussion in this thread, or here in the main discussion thread.

What would you like to see discussed more? What do you find not so interesting?

Are there any forum topics you would like to see added?
Are there any forum topics you don't think are generally valuable (not just to you?)

Thank you for your feedback!

:woohoo

(This poll will be open through Sunday January 14.)

Select to go to:

Main Blab 2008 discussion thread (http://www.modelhorseblab.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62081)

Poll: Blab moderating (http://www.modelhorseblab.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62078)

Poll: Blab geographics (http://www.modelhorseblab.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62080)

flutterby
12-30-2007, 11:04 AM
I like the OF, Custom, & gen off topic. I'm planning on paying more attention to the showing ones as I'd like to start showing. Everyone is good about offering helpful ideas, too.

wildwinds
12-30-2007, 11:45 AM
What role does Blab play in your hobby interests? in your life?

blab is my home base. where I started with modelhorses. I found out others like me , like breyer horses. I found resins for the first time from blab. and blab artists. I even got in to making tack and doing cm's all from blab. with out blab I would not have so many horses. even If I do not post a lot on blab , I am always looking at all the bost. I love that most of the artist and tack makers also make this there home.

What topic areas & forums do you like the best? Why?

I like the forums for artist to show there work. tack forums seeing tack , showing tack or getting help on tack. I love helping with tack when I see something I can help in.
love the sales forums. I have found a resin or two with help from blabers.
transaction forum is supper. know how you can sell to or buy from. or get help on a bad transaction.
blab saved me with paypal once. I got the spam email. becouse blab I know what to do.

Are there any forum topics you would like to see added, or any that you don't think are generally valuable (not just to you?)

I find I like all topics.

What do you think of the off-topic forums (GOT & WOYM)?
off topics are supper. keep them.

HorseChick
12-30-2007, 12:41 PM
I have it as my home page on my laptop :grin

Peaches 'N' Cream
12-30-2007, 01:17 PM
I would love for someone to post a LOT of info on breyerfest because i am not subscribed to JAH :(

I.nspiration
12-30-2007, 01:30 PM
I really like blab, but a few topics get rather boring. I know that some of the forums are barely used at all and maybe could be deleted?? Up and Coming and Artist Futurity are forums that come to mind. Also, in the showing section, I think some of the forums can be formed together to make it easier like instead of having showing central, live show alley, and photo showing central, we can just have 2 forums; one for live shows and one for photo shows. I don't know. Just kinda brainstorming a bit.

Melissa
12-30-2007, 03:46 PM
well, Blab to me is a safe place where I can get infromation about this hobby as well as LOTS of help with getting my #$%^ country gig a suitable horsie companion. I also feel that I'm not going to be randomly messeged by some creepy-overbearing stalker, which makes my mom happy^^

kyg
12-30-2007, 05:17 PM
Hey I have a suggestion, though I don't know whether it is possible:
I always click on "New Posts" and read Blab that way, rather than clicking into the individual forums. I'd LOVE to have the ability to customize what forums' new posts appear in the New Posts list. There are so many forums here that I just don't read, and it would be great to be able to choose only the forums I want to see the new posts from show up!!

Mary
12-30-2007, 06:59 PM
I always click on "New Posts" and read Blab that way, rather than clicking into the individual forums. I'd LOVE to have the ability to customize what forums' new posts appear in the New Posts list. There are so many forums here that I just don't read, and it would be great to be able to choose only the forums I want to see the new posts from show up!!
Karen (and everyone! :D ) would you like it if you could choose to have the left third of your screen as a separate panel, displaying the thread with the latest post in each of your personally-selected favorite forums? And perhaps your latest incoming pm's. The right 2/3rd's would display whatever you are doing with the forum, pretty much the way it does now. With this type of screen as a self-selected option - you could alternatively choose to have your screen display just as it is now. Just a question, that's all, don't read anything into this question. :wink :grin

Eowin
12-30-2007, 07:22 PM
Karen (and everyone! :D ) would you like it if you could choose to have the left third of your screen as a separate panel, displaying the thread with the latest post in each of your personally-selected favorite forums? And perhaps your latest incoming pm's. The right 2/3rd's would display whatever you are doing with the forum, pretty much the way it does now. With this type of screen as a self-selected option - you could alternatively choose to have your screen display just as it is now. Just a question, that's all, don't read anything into this question. :wink :grin

I for one would be interested in giving this a test run. I don't know if I'd like it but I'd love to check it out.

I love Blab and spend waaaay too much time here. :evilwoo

There's only one thing that drives me nuts and I don't see any way of stopping it. Let me use just for an example an artist post pics of a gorgeous completed custom. Folks start responding with ooohhh and ahhhh. Now don't get me wrong - I'm one of the first to post in regard to drool factor. And I think these artists absolutely deserve the "atta girls" they get. But it gets really old reading through these threads when they basically say the same thing. But I've discovered that if I don't follow them, then all of a sudden an interesting discussion pops up in the middle of it and I missed it! :haha

I honestly don't see any way of changing that. So don't get me wrong, these artists deserve to be able to post their work and receive as many props as they can get! I love seeing the pics too!

There is so much great info here and wonderfully talented and friendly people. I absolutely :adore this place! :hugg

delacroix3721
12-30-2007, 07:25 PM
With this type of screen as a self-selected option - you could alternatively choose to have your screen display just as it is now.
options are always good! :)

i like everything as is. i'm able to keep up with all the threads since i haven't officially joined yet... the forums i have access to are the ones that concern me the most (being an OF collector), but it's always crazy seeing all the other behind-the-scenes (to me!) threads going on when i'm granted free access! :lol

if i joined, a selection like what you're talking about would be helpful to me as there are definitely some forums that i read first and i'd like to have all those together to keep up with them... and then when i had time, catch up on the other threads/forums. :)

Paintgurl07
12-30-2007, 07:45 PM
I am new to blab, but it's nice to know that I'm not the only person out there that loves to buy plastic horsies at my age! I'm not a paid subscriber yet, still looking for a good paying job! The main thing that I would like to be different on blab is that there are places that I can look at but not reply, there's others that I can, but usually I'm not sure which is which. If things were labeled better maybe it would be easier??? I have a good time when I get on here, usually the same time that my husband is on his diesel truck forum! Keep up the good work!

kyg
12-30-2007, 08:04 PM
That sounds interesting Mary, I'm all for any kind of user-customization!
As a simpler measure than customizing the new posts, I would prefer if I could customize my entire forums window, completely deleting from view the forums I don't ever look at, so I'd have a much shorter group of them to scroll down through on the main Forums page!

lazyshamrock
12-31-2007, 01:53 PM
I would really, REALLY like to see some of the older "sticky" notes go away, or get combined into a single post. Thank you.

Jujube12
12-31-2007, 03:28 PM
Karen, I just want to thank you for mentioning the "New Posts" button--I had never noticed that before! I LOVE it! That will save me so much more time now!

--Julie

kyg
12-31-2007, 05:10 PM
Karen, I just want to thank you for mentioning the "New Posts" button--I had never noticed that before! I LOVE it! That will save me so much more time now!

You're welcome! A fellow Blabber (Jasper978) told me about it, last year at a live show. I've been grateful to her ever since! :)

GoldyRunMegan
12-31-2007, 06:53 PM
I like blab the way it is. Its perfect. :D

unicornwoman
01-01-2008, 09:54 AM
I enjoy Blab and gladly subscribe. However, a lot of threads can degrade into just "me, too" or "lovely piece". This doesn't really add much real meat to the archives, though the ego-boos can be nice...

Mary
01-01-2008, 12:02 PM
Also thought I'd mention ... are people aware of the currently available function "subscribe threads?" If you "subscribe" to a thread and there are new posts it will show up in your User CP. There is some navigation in and out of User CP, but it can still be handy.

At the top of each thread page is the dropdown Thread Tools. That is where you subscribe.

See the Quick Links dropdown toward the right side of the blue bar at the top. That's a quick jump to your subscribed threads.

And you can unsubscribe as well. :)

Just thought some people might be interested if you weren't already aware of this function. New Posts and Subscribed Threads are handy if you like those functions.

kyg
01-01-2008, 09:36 PM
Also thought I'd mention ... are people aware of the currently available function "subscribe threads?" If you "subscribe" to a thread and there are new posts it will show up in your User CP. There is some navigation in and out of User CP, but it can still be handy.

Yes, I had been doing the User CP thing for a lot longer than the New Posts thing! I always go straight to User CP as my first stop on Blab. If you start a thread or post to any thread, you are automatically subbed to that thread, by the way.

ravensgate
01-01-2008, 11:29 PM
If you start a thread or post to any thread, you are automatically subbed to that thread, by the way.

That's not true for me. I start a LOT of threads, and post to a LOT of threads and I have 0 subscriptions. Don't know if it's turned off or something but I've never had it show up. Now, on another board I frequent it DOES do that. But not here, not for me:)

ravensgate
01-01-2008, 11:31 PM
I enjoy Blab and gladly subscribe. However, a lot of threads can degrade into just "me, too" or "lovely piece". This doesn't really add much real meat to the archives, though the ego-boos can be nice...

I know that can annoy some readers, but I think it helps some of our artists thrive. Beginners and old pros alike. Who doesn't like hearing their work is nice? Keeps the motivation going in my opinion:cheer

midnightshetan
01-02-2008, 12:04 PM
there are always at least one or 2 disscussions that I check out that I am interested in, usually more though.

nekomi
01-02-2008, 01:09 PM
I know that can annoy some readers, but I think it helps some of our artists thrive. Beginners and old pros alike. Who doesn't like hearing their work is nice? Keeps the motivation going in my opinion

Agreed 100%!

Man O War
01-02-2008, 02:46 PM
That's not true for me. I start a LOT of threads, and post to a LOT of threads and I have 0 subscriptions. Don't know if it's turned off or something but I've never had it show up. Now, on another board I frequent it DOES do that. But not here, not for me:)
It doesn't happen for me either. :)

jesterjigger
01-03-2008, 01:58 PM
Would anyone be interested in a fitness/weightloss board? I know a lot of people on blab are working to be healthier, and I know that there's a long thread, but I get lost in the thread so don't post in it hardly ever because it's confusing with everyone answering everything on a single thread.

Arabesque
01-03-2008, 03:00 PM

:yeahthat

That would be nice! :thumbsup

Elf
01-04-2008, 06:46 PM
I am not collecting at all at the moment, but I still come here and have a good time. I mainly use the OT, and youth forum, thought I do go and check out others.

Midnight Sun
01-08-2008, 02:52 PM
I know that can annoy some readers, but I think it helps some of our artists thrive. Beginners and old pros alike. Who doesn't like hearing their work is nice? Keeps the motivation going in my opinion:cheer

I guess I never thought that this annoyed anyone. I know I tend to do that a lot as I tend to come across threads that everyone else has been posting on for days, LOL. I think it is beneficial to the artists as well, but I appologize if I have been inadvertantly irritating people!

Prairie Dream
01-09-2008, 08:40 PM
I admit I'm guilty of the "nice work" comments when pictures are posted, but to me it's a way of encouraging people's work. I sometimes like to ask questions about the piece, too. I also wish that I could skip over all the "nice work"s to the more interesting part of the discussion if it happens.

Maybe there could be a way to "grade" a photo post, so that instead of commenting with "I love it!" or "nice work!" each person can rate the post with a starred system, kind of like a poll. I don't know if that's possible to do, but it might keep the comments down.

Melissage
01-11-2008, 03:12 AM
I admit I'm guilty of the "nice work" comments when pictures are posted, but to me it's a way of encouraging people's work. I sometimes like to ask questions about the piece, too. I also wish that I could skip over all the "nice work"s to the more interesting part of the discussion if it happens.

Maybe there could be a way to "grade" a photo post, so that instead of commenting with "I love it!" or "nice work!" each person can rate the post with a starred system, kind of like a poll. I don't know if that's possible to do, but it might keep the comments down.

I kind of use the rep system for that, so I don't add another "Oh pretty!" type post to a thread, and so the artist still feels like they have done a nice job. :)

Martina
01-16-2008, 02:32 PM
I think some of the forums need to be condensed. I find some interesting topics in some of the forums but they have so little activity that sometimes I miss them before they get really old. I’ve seen some questions get posted with very little response because I think those forums just don’t get enough traffic. I think if we combined some topics they would become healthier areas.

I love reading about performance and I think a lot of those categories should be combined. I would suggest combining “Dolls & Riders”, “Props and Dioramas”, and “Tack”, into one forum and “Performance Showing” into another. I think this should be done to other areas also.

Just my input.

Martina