PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Blab moderating

Mary
12-30-2007, 09:28 AM
Please add your thoughts on Blab moderating in this thread, or here in the main discussion thread.

If you do not think Blab moderating is "about right" in the poll, can you be specific on what you would change?

Thank you for your feedback!

:woohoo

(This poll will be open through Sunday January 14.)

Select to go to:

Main Blab 2008 discussion thread (http://www.modelhorseblab.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62081)

Poll: Blab discussion (http://www.modelhorseblab.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62077)

Poll: Blab geographics (http://www.modelhorseblab.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62080)

breyerhorselover!!
12-30-2007, 12:13 PM
I think its great just the way it is! :)

Peaches 'N' Cream
12-30-2007, 01:13 PM
:agreed

Melissa
12-30-2007, 03:47 PM
I think it's good, although it would be kinda neat if mods got a little graphic badge tacked onto their User Text

Paintgurl07
12-31-2007, 12:08 AM
I'm still new, but a little more freedom would be nice :)

timberwolf
12-31-2007, 07:39 AM
I find the moderating to be about right. Sometimes threads can get out of hand and it might take a moderator a while to find it. It's understandable - unless you have someone patrolling the board 24/7 it's gonna happen. Keep up the good work.

Brutal Sun Studio
12-31-2007, 11:51 AM
Yeah, the moderating is pretty good here. Some of my doll boards are so tight, nothing ever happens there. :lol

For The Love Of Horses
01-03-2008, 01:21 PM
I think its great just the way it is! :)

:agree

Mary
01-05-2008, 10:37 AM
It's very gratifying to hear such nice comments, and to see that 73% (91 people) are basically satisfied with the state of moderating at this time. (As of this post.) :) :woohoo

But I would like to hear from other points of view as well! :grin This isn't intended to be the 'happy valley' thread, although of course we're delighted to hear the positive feedback. What are members' other thoughts? Bring 'em on. What is less than perfect about Blab moderating? Maybe you disagree with Blab's principals of moderating and member participation. What are the other 28% of Blabbers thinking?

Possibly some that voted "about right" would also prefer a little more of this or less of that, they just don't want to see a radical change. Perhaps they would rather not fix something they don't think is broken, even if it isn't perfect. More details on your thoughts are welcome as well. On everyone's thoughts. :talk:writing

(Let's avoid real examples so as not to re-hash something already hashed, and stick to hypotheticals if an example is used - thx.)

Thank you for sharing your thoughts !!

Here is some information on Blab moderating that I will add to the FAQ over the next few days.

Blab mods are volunteers who serve at their convenience. Their purpose is to help members and answer questions, and to act on a rules infraction when they are aware of it. (See Blab Rules FAQ.) (http://www.modelhorseblab.com/forums/faq.php)

Blab is not moderated 24/7/365, nor do mods read 100% of forum content. Mods usually avoid hovering and swooping, and it's expected there is no need for either.

Members are expected to behave sensibly and with maturity, and have themselves said they do not need nannies to oversee their interactions. Members have some latitude to express themselves, with the expectation that they will disagree agreeably and without bashing.

With all this in mind, members are encouraged to report posts or threads about which they have concerns (using the lower icon in the left name box and stating specifically why they are concerned.) The response may not be immediate but all reports will be responded to in time.

Sometimes even rational adults need a bit of intervention. Mods are empowered to use their own judgment and to act as they see best in any sitaution. Mods try to follow the same principals and philosophies for Blab modding, but mod actions may not always be the same in every case. Strict regulations, enforcement and legalism are not a part of Blab. And shouldn't need to be in a mature community.

The current FAQ on Blab moderating (http://www.modelhorseblab.com/forums/faq.php?faq=18#faq_19)

RIVENDELL
01-05-2008, 03:30 PM
Mary,

Happy New Year! I personally think you do a wonderful job of moderation, however that being said I feel at times that there are a few people on the blab that get out of hand, and should be reined in a bit.

Sometimes topics take a longer journey then most people would wish, but then I find in this case that is what the delete key is for. The only major problem I have seen is some pettiness and boarishness in picking on some people, and sometimes there is just some down right meaness that stems apparently from simple jealousy, and maybe a case of those that have, and those that have not.

This hobby is made up as many different people from many different backgrounds, but I think there could be just a few more manners used and politeness when disagreeing with someone or someones post. This hobby is supposed to be fun and an outlet from everyday stress, and when one has to defend themselves constantly as I have seen some have had to do, then that makes the hobby less of a place for fun, and more work then it should be. Just my open honest opinion. God bless.

Sharron Dunning

whitetail ridge
01-07-2008, 12:31 PM
JMHO. but I stillbeleive that Sparky needs to go. Actually thought it had till the other day. Sorry, but I would have more respect for the actual person coming on and doing the modding, instead of hiding behind that thing, whether I agree with the modding or not. If you can't stand up to people on your own accord, and need to hide behind a childish figure, then IMO you shouldn't be a mod. JMHO as you are asking for honest opinions.

mariannas
01-07-2008, 01:33 PM
I don't have a particular dog in this fight because honestly as I've never used Sparky to communicate with anyone. However, as a mod I never viewed Sparky as some kind of icon for us to hide behind. I thought of him more as a universal front for mod correspondence. You see, on MOST occasions decisions are made by the mod team as a group NOT as a single person acting alone. So...I always thought that using Sparky would be akin to saying this is a note from the mod team at large, not just Marianna the mod. Does that make sense?

JMHO. but I stillbeleive that Sparky needs to go. Actually thought it had till the other day. Sorry, but I would have more respect for the actual person coming on and doing the modding, instead of hiding behind that thing, whether I agree with the modding or not. If you can't stand up to people on your own accord, and need to hide behind a childish figure, then IMO you shouldn't be a mod. JMHO as you are asking for honest opinions.

Mary
01-09-2008, 12:10 AM
Some good comments, hope to hear more.

It is interesting that as of now, although the poll shows 73% of members (active ones here voting) agree with the current level of moderating, but still over 20% would like less modding and more latitude. And at the same time some people (perhaps not the same 20%) say they would like to see more mod action to cut down on the sharper exchanges between members. Those two things don't seem to come from the same point of view of how Blab should be moderated. Perhaps there is more to understand?

Letting people say what they want to say in the way they want to say it, so long as it isn't too personal and isn't bashing, has been part of allowing self-expression on Blab. Most of us would prefer that people express themselves with reasonable politeness. But Blab hasn't traditionally enforced that behavior, as long as it stays just this side of bashing. Traditionally members have been encouraged to offer each other feedback if they think something is out of line but not beyond the rules. Politeness is something some people point out to others, but not usually a mod issue. That's been part of self-expression on Blab ... more thoughts on this?

Right now Sparky serves mostly as a common mailbox that all mods have access too. Otherwise messages might not be seen if a mod isn't on the board for a few days.

Sparky as first conceived (by several people) was never intended to handle serious mod issues. Those would always have been handled personally by someone from management. He was just the guy who looked like he stuck his finger in a light socket that people could joke around with.

Amylee963
01-23-2008, 06:15 PM
I like blab exactly the way it is! :)

Hollicrombie
01-28-2008, 06:55 PM
It sounds odd, but I like how we can cuss if we feel it appropriate :yaymiller

Otherwise, no probs noticed, Good Job!