PDA

View Full Version : Judging Clinic Forum?

cheseri
02-28-2008, 09:48 PM
I'm a member over at www.mhjudging.com (http://www.mhjudging.com), and I loved going there for the clinics. Unfortunately it seems to have died off (no new posts for a long time :sad). It was really great idea though. What about a single area here for judging clinics? I think the idea could really benefit from blab's large membership, and it benefits the hobby greatly.
Is this a possibility???

BearsnBugs
02-28-2008, 09:50 PM
We actually had one on Blab before, but it never really took off. Was active for awhile and then peetered out.

mariannas
02-28-2008, 10:07 PM
I'm a member over at www.mhjudging.com (http://www.mhjudging.com), and I loved going there for the clinics. Unfortunately it seems to have died off (no new posts for a long time :sad). It was really great idea though. What about a single area here for judging clinics? I think the idea could really benefit from blab's large membership, and it benefits the hobby greatly.
Is this a possibility???

Hey Lauren!
The reason it kind of died off is that us mods were having to put a lot of work into putting up the clinics and in many cases there was little or no participation. We left up some of the clinics with no responses with a note that no more were going to be posted unless there was more participation. Since there were only a couple of responses we just felt that maybe there just wasn't enough interest.

I really loved MHJ and I myself, would be more than happy to start posting again if people were interested. Unfortunately member participation is a big part of a board and there's only so much us mods can do to keep it going.

cheseri
02-28-2008, 10:28 PM
That's why I was thinking maybe it would do better over here... there is a larger membership so even if the regulars don't have a chance to post, it could still stay afloat. At the time I had too much going on and couldn't get on as much as I wanted.

Do you think we could test the waters with a few sample clinics here? Then we could see if the idea takes off again. I for one REALLY need to improve my ABC knowledge.

mariannas
02-28-2008, 10:34 PM
That's why I was thinking maybe it would do better over here... there is a larger membership so even if the regulars don't have a chance to post, it could still stay afloat. At the time I had too much going on and couldn't get on as much as I wanted.

Do you think we could test the waters with a few sample clinics here? Then we could see if the idea takes off again. I for one REALLY need to improve my ABC knowledge.

I was around when we had the judging forum on Blab and I think a total of four people replied to one or two threads before it completely petered out. Maybe there would be more interest now, but it's hard to say. I'm sure if more people expressed an interest it *might* be something Mary would consider. :)

Mary
02-28-2008, 11:26 PM
Who's willing to volunteer to kind of keep an eye on it, keep it moving? Don't have to be a mod to do that. :grin

eventingpony24
02-29-2008, 02:04 AM
I am very interested in learning to be a better judge, and I am online everyday on blab. (not always the same time as everyone else, as I am in Australia, but online never the less)
I would be more than happy to keep an eye on the thread, help organise clinics etc.
But I am guessing if it is not a mod based thing, we could have 2 or so people looking after it?

christina
02-29-2008, 12:31 PM
What about doing a sample one in the showing central forum? I'm also a member over at MHJ and I participated in a couple of the clinics, which I liked a lot.

Man O War
02-29-2008, 02:52 PM
I would love to see mini judging clinics. Even though I've never entered or been to a show I would be interested in seeing how judging works and stuff. Many people could probably benefit from them, too.

eventingpony24
02-29-2008, 09:49 PM
If we would like to have a little do at this and see how it goes,
I suppose we should try it a little like MHJ and have the photos with as non distracting as possible + a shot of both sides of the horse.

If anyone has any photos like this they would like to send me - or link me to, please PM or email me at - elise@riata-online.net
Any colours and breeds, OF/CM/Resin/China.. and I will see if I can come up with a few classes to start us off.

Mary
02-29-2008, 11:23 PM
If we would like to have a little do at this and see how it goes,
I suppose we should try it a little like MHJ and have the photos with as non distracting as possible + a shot of both sides of the horse.

If anyone has any photos like this they would like to send me - or link me to, please PM or email me at - elise@riata-online.net
Any colours and breeds, OF/CM/Resin/China.. and I will see if I can come up with a few classes to start us off.That's the spirit! :clap Elise this is a good approach. If you can do it as a thread, or multiple threads, that is a great way to start. We can see how much sustained interest there is.

Two tries at this in the past (on and off Blab) resulted in more chirping crickets than participation. That was discouraging for those who put a lot of time and effort into putting it together.

If members will initiate and participate in judging threads, without the help of management, that will definitely show if there is forum potential. :)

eventingpony24
02-29-2008, 11:40 PM
I really do believe that this could be a fantastic part of this forum, and that alot of us could learn so much from it. We have such fantastic people in this hobby, and many of them are here on blab and I am sure they would enjoy teaching us more about how they would judge certain classes, etc, and what to look for.

I will try and get the first class running as soon as possible, I would post just my own photos to begin with but I am not sure I have enough to run a class. Do you think 4-5 per class is reasonable? And if this kicks off, I would love to run a variety of classes.

Such as:
- Splitting mini's from trads, but also occassionaly judging together (for things such as workmanship, as some shows do)
- Performance classes (I would definately love to learn more about this)
- Breed
- Colour
- Workmanship
- Collectibility

Pretty much anything that is shown in real life can be also run in this judging clinic style, the only limit is the photos that people send to me. :D

I am really excited about this, and think it could be a fantastic oppertunity for this forum, and also for up and coming judges to learn more from those more experienced!

eventingpony24
03-01-2008, 04:34 AM
I have started a new post requesting photos and with all the details you will need to know about sending in photos for the clinics. :D

http://www.modelhorseblab.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65448

Hopefully we will get some submissions soon and I will be able to put up the first clinics.

If this picks up, perhaps we can even have our own section on the forum.

muggyscugglemeyer
03-01-2008, 08:16 AM
This sounds like a great idea!! Can we email photos right off our computers or do we have to photoshop them first? I have dial up and it's waaaay slow. That's why I'm asking.

eventingpony24
03-01-2008, 08:21 AM
I am willing to take any photos, if they require photoshopping for size etc. I will do that from my computer and then upload them. :D

So feel free to send through anything you have that might be suitable!

cheseri
03-01-2008, 09:47 AM
:woohooI'll see what I can do to come up with some photos this weekend! I just got a couple new lights so I might actually be able to take some now!

Half Fast Farms
03-19-2008, 06:06 PM
Hiya!
Just following up to see if there is going to be a judging clinic.

cheseri
03-19-2008, 06:14 PM
We posted up 3, but they died off after a few days. I don't have enough entries for any more complete classes, but if anyone else has some photos they can share, I'll start some more up.

Let's aim to do these classes next:

OF Arabs
CM Gaited Breeds
AR Drafts
China Ponies
Western Pleasure
Hunter Jumper
Arab Costume

Just email me any photos you have to go in them and I'll post each class as soon as there are 4 entries:

For halter classes we need a clear shot of each side of the horse, on a plain background (this is not like photo showin with a realistic background).

For performance we need a minimum of 2 pictures, preferably 3 or 4 to show the set up as a whole, as well as the details up close.

The clinics we did post did get great responses though!

eventingpony24
03-19-2008, 07:10 PM
Yes, I have meant to try and get a few more together.. but as some of you know I have been in and out of hospital alot in the past week or so and havnt got them together again. I will try to help you get some more together Lauren!

I have an OF arab to add to what you have there too.

TwixBreyerStables
06-11-2011, 09:05 PM
I think the website is actually gone now! If I would have known about these clinics ahead of time, I would have loved to attend one! Is there any other clinics like it around??? I really would like to learn how to judge model horses. I find that it would be an awesome experience to go to one of these clinics and learn the, may I say, art of model horse judging! :D I think they should start these clinics back up! :D