PDA

View Full Version : Custom forums should be available to non subscribers.

prancing_pony_studios
05-17-2008, 09:37 PM
I mean, really?! There arent many that are available to non subscribers and I would subscribe but I dont have the money...

:randommil

thebillybo
05-17-2008, 10:42 PM
If everything were free who would pay to subscribe?

Robin
05-17-2008, 11:06 PM
I concur. It's not that expensive--of course, I'm speaking as an "adult" who has a job (funny how I don't think of myself as an adult, even though I'm almost 26!), but I bet that asking for a subscription as a birthday or Christmas or other holiday present would work out nicely--and I bet most parents would be shocked at how cheap they're getting off! Just a suggestion, of course, but Blab does cost a lot less than a magazine subscription, and a heck of a lot less than any model horse except a Stablemate.

Kristi Hale
05-17-2008, 11:40 PM
If I want something but don't have the money, it should be free. That's only fair.

DraytonWoods
05-18-2008, 12:06 AM
Everything for me should be free.

man, what is UP with the posts tonight?! Whole lotta this: :footinmou going on.

Laura G
05-18-2008, 12:15 AM
Well, life isn't fair. Everybody knows that, surely.

dotnj
05-18-2008, 12:26 AM
Next time you want to buy a model, put the money towards a paid sub to Blab instead. Trust me it's so worth it! (and you don't even have to dust it!:haha)

BearsnBugs
05-18-2008, 12:27 AM
Being able to access the paid forums is a perk of being a paid member. I'm sure it doesn't seem fair when you can't read stuff you'd like to because you can't afford to or aren't allowed to go paid. But, it wouldn't be fair to the members that pay to be able to have full access, if there weren't more paid than non paid forums.

You've only been here a short time. Enjoy the forums you can access. There's plenty of good threads, helpful members and great info available to you to peek at! Save your pennies and maybe you'll be able to go paid eventually.

mysticwarrior620
05-18-2008, 06:29 AM
If I want something but don't have the money, it should be free. That's only fair.

YEAH!! A new truck, a new house, a trip to Europe.... Man, reality sucks.:rolleyes

timberwolf
05-18-2008, 09:25 AM
You forgot the new horse, lol.

prancing_pony_studios
05-18-2008, 10:32 AM
HAHAA funny. Well, I posted on general off topic some ???'s about dog training... well, they moved it to critter corner and i cant even read my own topic! AHH!

ravensgate
05-18-2008, 10:44 AM
HAHAA funny. Well, I posted on general off topic some ???'s about dog training... well, they moved it to critter corner and i cant even read my own topic! AHH!

That's because that's where it belongs. You can't just post any topic you want whereever you see fit. There are rules to Blab. If people could post whereever they wanted then there would be no point for a paid membership. It's disrespectful to the other members.

ravensgate
05-18-2008, 10:44 AM
Kristen, there are student discount memberships. You have wanted ads on MH$P. Instead of buying models maybe you should swing the $10 for a paid membership. It's WELL worth it:thumbsup

BearsnBugs
05-18-2008, 12:06 PM
That's because that's where it belongs. You can't just post any topic you want whereever you see fit. There are rules to Blab. If people could post whereever they wanted then there would be no point for a paid membership. It's disrespectful to the other members.

Yes. That. I moved your post because it belongs in Critter Corner. If posts are made that belong in another forum, they will be moved if we see them.

BearsnBugs
05-18-2008, 12:14 PM
I should also add, you may want to spend some time reading up on the Blab in the FAQ. Lots of info there!

http://www.modelhorseblab.com/forums/faq.php

You can always PM me or any of the other mods if you have any specific questions. I'm always happy to answer members' questions! :)

horses4ever1234
05-18-2008, 12:23 PM
Since you are a beginner maybe you can post some of your custom questions there :)

kidwitch
05-18-2008, 03:21 PM
Wah, since I can't afford the half million dollar imported Grand Prix Warmblood, he should be given to me because it isn't fair.

Sure, its exagerrated, but don't you see how ridiculous your request is? These paid members keep our forum running and not because they are being charitable, but because they get certain perks- namely access to particular forums and the ability to post about certain topics. You don't pay? You don't get that. Your post got moved because it was in the wrong forum. You don't have access to it now because you don't have a paid subscription. If you don't pay for a subscription, you don't get to post on these topics.

I'm really over this subject being discussed monthly? Maybe bimonthly? Life isn't fair, it isn't going to be fair. End of story.

Melissa
05-18-2008, 06:59 PM
seriously, I think everyone here has posted at LEAST one thread in the wrong forum and had it moved. Let's keep a tally, so far you want both Custom and Critter to be free.. what next? How is blab going to have so many awesome contests if no one buys a sub? seriously 20 dollars for a whole year, if a 13 year old can swing it, so can you

horses4ever1234
05-18-2008, 07:02 PM
Wow, way to make people feel welcome....

Do you both eel better now?

BeezerMom
05-18-2008, 07:03 PM
Now now lets not scare her off. :grin Many new people have asked similiar questions. (which I know wears on some of your patience) We can point her in the right direction without all the sarcasm. :peace

prancing_pony_studios
05-18-2008, 08:19 PM
:-( I am sorry if I bother people, but why do you post on here if you want the board to go away? Seriosuly... I am considering quitting the blab if not many people are going to 'play nice'. :-(

kidwitch
05-18-2008, 08:35 PM
I'm sorry PPS, but it just gets frustrating when this topic gets brought up so frequently. The paid memberships really DO have a purpose, as unfair as it may seem to the unpaid members.

muggyscugglemeyer
05-18-2008, 08:48 PM
I'm sorry PPS, but it just gets frustrating when this topic gets brought up so frequently. The paid memberships really DO have a purpose, as unfair as it may seem to the unpaid members.

The subject gets brought up so often because there are always new people. Sure it can get tiresome seeing the same subject come up, but no one has to bounce the new people for it. It's the first time they made the post.

There's really no need for the sarcasm.

ravensgate
05-18-2008, 08:54 PM
:-( I am sorry if I bother people, but why do you post on here if you want the board to go away? Seriosuly... I am considering quitting the blab if not many people are going to 'play nice'. :-(

Certainly no one wants you to leave. But your last comment of quitting blab because folks 'don't play nice'?? Well, how do you think the rest of paying members feel you are 'playing' when you don't respect the rules and structure of Blab??? It's not fair that you, as a new member, decide to come over to the board and tell everyone how it should be run and what should be 'free'.

There are other boards out there that are free. Everyone has their own experience on Blab. As the old saying goes 'It is what you make it'. But I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt, that practically everything I've learned in customizing, I learned from the other generous artists on Blab. I can't get that anywhere else. My $18 a year is a small pittance to pay for the vast amount of knowledge and friends that can be found on this board.

kidwitch
05-18-2008, 08:56 PM
The subject gets brought up so often because there are always new people. Sure it can get tiresome seeing the same subject come up, but no one has to bounce the new people for it. It's the first time they made the post.

There's really no need for the sarcasm.
But then there is always the fact that I don't even understand why its an issue or that there is the sense of entitlement.

Blab costs money to run and someone has to put it up.

muggyscugglemeyer
05-18-2008, 09:03 PM
Perhaps just saying "No. You need to be a paid member to access certain forums."

The added sarcasm just leaves a bad taste. In my opinion.

BearsnBugs
05-18-2008, 09:03 PM
But then there is always the fact that I don't even understand why its an issue or that there is the sense of entitlement.

Well, I'm sure that in part comes from the fact that so much on the internet is free. Sure, not everything. But think about all the places you go each day that are. And if you don't know anything about servers and websites and all that - it may not come to mind immediately that hey, this has to be paid for somehow. :) I know it's something that I never had really thought about, at one point in time.

BeezerMom
05-18-2008, 10:04 PM
Well, I'm sure that in part comes from the fact that so much on the internet is free. Sure, not everything. But think about all the places you go each day that are. And if you don't know anything about servers and websites and all that - it may not come to mind immediately that hey, this has to be paid for somehow. :) I know it's something that I never had really thought about, at one point in time.

Very good post! This has to be explained to many people, especially younger folks.

Altair
05-18-2008, 11:20 PM

Am I the only one who doesn't see the sarcasm in this statement?

hi_d_hi
05-18-2008, 11:48 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't see the sarcasm in this statement?

It doesn't seem sarcastic to me. And I know about sarcasm. Like, I don't have the money, but demand to get a free Prius. That's only fair, because I use too much gas driving to and from work. I also don't have enough money, so I think it's only fair that I get a complete expenses paid trip to Europe. I mean it's only fair. I also don't have enough money to get all the hot new resins I want, but think that someone should buy them for me, or better yet, that the sculptors just give them to me. Don't you think? It's only fair. ;)

Altair
05-19-2008, 05:43 AM
It doesn't seem sarcastic to me. And I know about sarcasm. Like, I don't have the money, but demand to get a free Prius. That's only fair, because I use too much gas driving to and from work. I also don't have enough money, so I think it's only fair that I get a complete expenses paid trip to Europe. I mean it's only fair. I also don't have enough money to get all the hot new resins I want, but think that someone should buy them for me, or better yet, that the sculptors just give them to me. Don't you think? It's only fair. ;)

Heh, I guess I see it, but then again, I think Ev was also acknowledging the fact that it has seemed unfair to a lot of non-paids... on first glance.
I dunno, maybe I'm not online enough so I can't read between the lines anymore.
Anyhoo.

Tobie Keith
05-19-2008, 08:46 AM
PPS - sorry about the inaccessability of forums available only to those with a paid membership - it does stink but I think we have all been there at one time. The cost of the membership is well worth it to me - I tried to not renew my membership once and lasted about a month - couldn't stand it and had to pony up the money. The cost is not that much and there are many ways to make a few bucks to pay the membership. Maybe you could save some birthday money or allowance money or walk someone's dog or pull some weeds in a flowerbed for an elderly person or mow a lawn or sell a horse or two out of your collection or babysitting.

As far as the sarcasm goes - sorry about that too. There can be a lot of truth hidden in sarcasm but usually it's not the kids who are sarcastic - by the time you are a full fledged adult, you will (sadly) have learned to be sarcastic quite well from those who go before you.

PPS, don't become what you see. Be different - be positive.

prancing_pony_studios
05-19-2008, 08:59 AM
HAHAH I love that I nearly fell out of my chair laughing
BTW I love your signature and that adorable little foal!

Landshark
05-19-2008, 09:13 AM
okay dumb question... why does Blab cost money to run? I odn't know much about message boards so excuse my ignorance on it..... :peace

cranbonite
05-19-2008, 09:14 AM
Oops, wrong thread!

Beyondanytherapy
05-19-2008, 09:22 AM
okay dumb question... why does Blab cost money to run? I odn't know much about message boards so excuse my ignorance on it..... :peace

On most websites (and I assume it plays like that on here) it comes down to one word - bandwidth.

Basically, that means how much traffic goes to and from a site. The more traffic - people logging in, pictures being downloaded, etc - the more bandwidth. So, there are some sites that are free, but they have limited features and will limit the amount of bandwidth a site can use. To get more features and more bandwidth, you normally have to move to a pay account.

Not to mention, it costs to own the domain. Having modelhorseblab.com be the address on this site means someone had to put money down to own the domain. And also, there's the software that's used to run the site. It all adds up to a good chunk of change after a while.

BeezerMom
05-19-2008, 09:23 AM

Its the cost of hosting this board, and I believe the initial cost of purchasing the board name, software ect. I'm sure a mod has a better answer to this question. :)

Tobie Keith
05-19-2008, 09:32 AM
I'll be happy to pay a student membership for someone. At this time in my life, I can, so I will.

I'd like to contribute to the happiness of one horse crazy kid who would love to participate but her parents don't see the benefit :dunno

Landshark
05-19-2008, 09:38 AM
On most websites (and I assume it plays like that on here) it comes down to one word - bandwidth.

Basically, that means how much traffic goes to and from a site. The more traffic - people logging in, pictures being downloaded, etc - the more bandwidth. So, there are some sites that are free, but they have limited features and will limit the amount of bandwidth a site can use. To get more features and more bandwidth, you normally have to move to a pay account.

Not to mention, it costs to own the domain. Having modelhorseblab.com be the address on this site means someone had to put money down to own the domain. And also, there's the software that's used to run the site. It all adds up to a good chunk of change after a while.

Okay... just was curious. We own our domain and have a good deal of bandwidth and it is not a lot of money at all... but we do not host a message board on it.... I have no problem paying my membership dues at all!

Kristi Hale
05-19-2008, 09:44 AM
There are different ways to phrase things. There is a difference between asking "Why is Forum X not free?" or "Why aren't all the forums free?" versus declaring "Forum X should be free because I want it and can't afford it." Different ways of phrasing the same concept can and will cause different reactions in others.

JMO.

delacroix3721
05-19-2008, 10:27 AM
:yeahthat exactly. that was the problem here, not the question.

Tobie Keith
05-19-2008, 10:33 AM
Not everyone is graced with perfection in presenting their issues. That's why some people play much better in the political arena than others. Youth does not come with experience, therefore the presentation is not always as polished as some think it should.

We teach closure and separation and sarcasm by the way we choose to respond - a simple explanation void of witty sarcasm does not provoke the worst in people :stickpoke

The best teachers are those who can explain the concept without demeaning the student.

Kristi Hale
05-19-2008, 11:42 AM
Fortunately for the youth of America (and their parents), I'm not a teacher. ;)

hi_d_hi
05-19-2008, 01:52 PM
Fortunately for the youth of America (and their parents), I'm not a teacher. ;)

I am a teacher, and I'm sarcastic, and my students love it and learn from it, because I'm telling the truth; when they can figure it out, because it's very dry most of the time. There are two kinds of sarcasm, ironic and satirical. There's nothing wrong with ironic, that's just stating the facts in an ironic way, satirical for the most part is mean. So people can learn from sarcasm if they are open to it(which is the truth). ;)

Tobie Keith
05-19-2008, 03:54 PM
We have one doctor who comes to our pharmacy as a patient - a lot of his patients are also our clients. He is an endocrinologist - I could sit and listen to him for hours on end. He *could* very easily speak to me on his PhD level and leave me standing there with a very blank stupid look on my face but instead, he chooses to speak first in medical terms followed by, "what that means...." with a full explanation on my level as a "patient" when I ask a clinical question to get a better understanding of how a drug works.

I have the ultimate respect for him. He could easily speak down to me or even better, because he is an DO, not even care about whether I understand what he just said. He's not so great because he's so smart, he's so great because he is an incredible communicator.

I think satyrical (sp?) sarcasm is and can be a teaching aid - it's the condescending sarcasm (I get it and you are too stupid to understand) kind of sarcasm that is a real turnoff to me and I suspect many others as well. Sure, you have your clique that :cheer and fuels your file but in a group way, at the humilating expense of those you intended to demean.

I'm not trying to stir the pot - there is a huge difference between humoristic sarcasm and demeaning sarcasm.

Kristi Hale
05-19-2008, 04:02 PM
Not to be the wrong kind of sarcastic or anything, but I know that I became a happier person when I learned to grow a thicker skin. I was going to say a lot more than this, but it really was way too sarcastic even by my standards.

hi_d_hi
05-19-2008, 08:58 PM
I think satyrical (sp?) sarcasm is and can be a teaching aid - it's the condescending sarcasm (I get it and you are too stupid to understand) kind of sarcasm that is a real turnoff to me and I suspect many others as well. Sure, you have your clique that :cheer and fuels your file but in a group way, at the humilating expense of those you intended to demean.

I'm not trying to stir the pot - there is a huge difference between humoristic sarcasm and demeaning sarcasm.

Satirical is the mean kind, and ironical is the dry kind that you either get or you don't, but it's not meant to be mean, just to show the truth. It's funny if you get it, but doesn't mean anything if you don't.

hi_d_hi
05-19-2008, 08:59 PM
Not to be the wrong kind of sarcastic or anything, but I know that I became a happier person when I learned to grow a thicker skin. I was going to say a lot more than this, but it really was way too sarcastic even by my standards.

If it's satirical give it a thought, if it's ironical go ahead and give it your best. ;)

shadowfox
05-19-2008, 09:35 PM

Yes, but that is what the FAQ page is for. And posting that the forums should be free is not really an appropriate subject for a post as it is an opinion of how the board should be ran and who should get charged for what. No one but the moderators should decide that since they are the ones who know the cost to upkeep this board. It is not a question or suggestion, just someone who is upset that they cannot afford the membership despite having want ads and purchasing items. It becomes a matter of prioritizing-if you want to view the forums save your money and pay the subscription. Otherwise, continue to post want ads and buy models and don't save money for the subscription. Either way it is a personal choice and the person making that choice has to live with it.

Arabesque
05-19-2008, 10:12 PM
Sarcasm is aggressive. All too often people who are continually sarcastic can often affend without meaning to. Even worse, when people are posting sarcasm on the internet, you can't hear the tone of their voice behind the words so you don't know if they are intentionally being rude or not. Just a thought.

That being said I will admit to being a hipocrit on this one. I can be pretty sarcastic at times, I get some kind of joy out of it in certain situations. The thought of appearing aggressive, rude, or unfriendly never crossed my mind until I had a class in college called "Interpersonal Communications". Very interesting stuff. My teacher was an incredible woman, and she often spoke about the aggression behind sarcasm. Think about it. It's true. :)

And with that little .02 I'd just like to say PPS the grand things in life are not always free. Thankfully a Blab membership wouldn't cost you a grand. :haha I highly recommend getting a paid subscription. It's well worth it, and you'll learn so much and get to talk to so many neat people. To tell you the truth, I generally only renewed my Blab subscription this year so I could see the "Tack Forum". :lol Though, it's darn easy to become addicted to more than one forum on Blab! You are missing out! ;)

Arabesque
05-19-2008, 10:21 PM
Yes, but that is what the FAQ page is for.

It's actually funny, I never read the FAQ page until subjects regarding the "rules" started to come up. In fact, I've been here since the start of Blab and can't recall if there was a FAQ page to begin with. :dunno I'll admit, I've been a culprit a time or two for buying into programs and such without reading the rules first. That's the boring part right?

I guess it's kind of like getting a piece of machinery that you're excited about, but there is assembly required. You want to open up the box and put the thing together so you can enjoy what it was created for right now. Only, you don't want to read the directions--that just takes too long. It's just way easier to ask someone who's already put one together how to do it. Or to do it for you. And if you put it together without the directions it can get you into a bit of a mess at times. :grin

The moral of that story was supposed to be always read your directions or guidelines that are included with things, or at least browse. More often than not you can find your answers.

shadowfox
05-19-2008, 10:31 PM
:yeahthat

You do learn a LOT from the forums and it is a great (and very affordable) place to learn all the ins and outs of the hobby.

Elf
05-19-2008, 10:40 PM
I would like to say that this is an interesting thread. I have agreed with some people, but am not going to quote them all. :grin

As a solution, could we advertise the FAQ and Search Feature someplace, like the top of the forum? This may help people before they have to post.

shadowfox
05-19-2008, 10:44 PM
As a solution, could we advertise the FAQ and Search Feature someplace, like the top of the forum? This may help people before they have to post.

This is a GREAT idea...seems like people are too quick to post rather than read the FAQ. Perhaps that would help if they saw that nice little reminder to do so before posting, just to make sure it isn't already answered.

bronzino
05-20-2008, 02:51 PM
It is not a question or suggestion, just someone who is upset that they cannot afford the membership despite having want ads and purchasing items.

Hmm. In re: the FAQs, I'd say I agree with the above. This thread is not really a "shoulda read the FAQs" issue; in fact, it's premised on an understanding of the FAQs: some forums are paid-only, and some are not. It's disputing the content of those FAQs.

However, I also agree that the pleas for Mary to give "paid-only" perqs away for free seem to come up far too often. Somehow, folks have gotten the sense that whether they have to pay is subject to debate, or that free memberships are doled out on a "need" or "merit" basis. That does not happen, so we'll take some steps to remove that impression. :)

Kristi Hale
05-20-2008, 03:16 PM
I'll have you know I merited every single one of my free mp3s.

BreyerLuver66
05-20-2008, 03:30 PM
To add in my 2 cents of this issue, coming from someone who does not have a subscription to Blab, I do see your point about wanting to have access to other forums..... but you must realize that there are other free forums out there. I am a member of other forums and model horse groups, as well as Blab, and I learn a lot from everyone I meet and know. Sometimes things in life aren't always fair and free, but there are other options out there. I like to chit-chat with other members on these forums because of the same interest for model horses, and I appreciate that at least there are these kinds of forums out there. I understand that you would like to see more threads and have access to them, because I agree, but there is no need to have a tantrum about it all. When you joined as a member you should have known and read the rules and facts about the site. Push-comes-to-shove that life isn't fair.

Kristi Hale
05-20-2008, 04:48 PM
People not getting things for free that other people have to pay for seems very fair to me. I am actually not sure where the unfairness comes in.

shadowfox
05-20-2008, 05:11 PM
People not getting things for free that other people have to pay for seems very fair to me. I am actually not sure where the unfairness comes in.

:agreed
If someone has it written in some unquestionable law somewhere that it is their God-given right to take things for free at others expense and that others must pay for i'd love to see it. And until someone does, all this seems like to me is people crying that they don't get everything they want without paying for it...that is not the way the world works and it is rather rude to imply that it should. If they want a forum where everything is free, they can go start their own and don't charge anybody-then they can pay all the fees and charges for bandwith and site upkeep themselves...probably wouldn't be long before they are singing a different tune.

kate_whatever
05-21-2008, 11:59 AM
I'm not a subscriber myself. I would love to but then I would have to ask my dad to use his credit card and then I would have to try and explain WHY getting a subscription is a good thing and how it helps to support blab etc.
Of course he would'nt understand though
So I'm a free member for now and I think that it is great that Blab does offer subscriptions cause it keeps an amazing site runnning!

bronzino
05-21-2008, 10:15 PM
Folks, following up on my remarks above.

In order to avoid continued re-hashing of the difference between paid and unpaid member privileges, and the reasons for it, I have put two stickys in the Blab Tech forum. Those stickys cover the topics of avatars (http://www.modelhorseblab.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69449) and paid member forum access (http://www.modelhorseblab.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69450), which seem to be the two paid member privileges that engender the greatest discussion.

New threads on this subject will be merged into the stickys. In the stickys, I summarized the reasons why unpaid members don't get paid member privileges succinctly, and tried to put it in as a pat a way as possible, so people "get" that Blab's cannot alter its policy in individual cases. People can continue to debate the merits of having to pay, if they like, but another option will be to simply direct people to the stickys and say "your answer is here" or words to that effect.

Hope this helps, somehow. :)