PDA

View Full Version : free trial for blab

Melissa
05-28-2008, 10:54 AM
there have been a ton of people saying X forum should be free or open, that just don't get that blab is worth the money. Is there anyway that a month free trail subscription could be added? Newbies could experience blab before deciding if they want to subscribe.

Beyondanytherapy
05-28-2008, 11:02 AM
We have that.

It's called a free membership.

Melissa
05-28-2008, 11:10 AM
We have that.

yeah, but it's restricted to three or four forums. I mean a free trial, like they do with Photoshop off the adobe site. You get full access for a limited time, like a week or month or so. but after that you have to pay

dotnj
05-28-2008, 11:50 AM
I think Blab runs a brief free trial period once a year instead of on a per member sign-up basis. I can imagine the headaches caused if a person signed up, got the "free trial" of all the forums, only to have them taken away and told they have to pay now for what they had been getting for free.

ravensgate
05-28-2008, 12:02 PM
We have that.

That's kinda what I was thinking. I think Mary does like a week free trial later in the year, or she did last year.

Folks come to Blab and if they read the FAQs, they can figure everything out. And on a new forum, if I saw I couldn't see everything, that would be the first place I would go to find out why (the FAQ page). They get access to some free forums. If they want to see those others, then they can pay. Seems pretty simple to me.

One has to decide if those other forums would appear to be worth it to them. I know it is for me. But good grief, it's not like it's $50 a year, or $10 a month or anything. Under $20 a year is nothing. There are other boards out there that are totally free. Coming to Blab only to complain about having to pay is unproductive and rude to the membership (not directed towards you Maudie, just in general).

I'm sure if someone paid for a membership and within a few days decided it wasn't worth it, they might be able to get some sort of partial refund. I don't know so don't quote me on that, but it's not like anyone is out to rip people off.

delacroix3721
05-28-2008, 12:09 PM
i believe there were two times Mary opened up all the forums last year, once for Blab's birthday and then again near the New Year.... at least that's what i remember. :)

Legacy
05-28-2008, 02:25 PM
I'm sure if someone paid for a membership and within a few days decided it wasn't worth it, they might be able to get some sort of partial refund. I don't know so don't quote me on that, but it's not like anyone is out to rip people off.

I did quote you, so haha! :lol

Anyway, I saw what Jaime wrote and seemed to remember reading about a full refund cancellation period. So I looked up the FAQ (http://www.modelhorseblab.com/forums/faq.php?faq=faq_membership_info#faq_faq_membership _cancellation) and found this:
A paid membership may be cancelled for a 100% refund for 3 months after the starting or renewal date.

A paid membership may be cancelled for a refund of the pro-rated amount between 3 and 9 months after the starting or renewal date (or an amount close to the pro-rated amount to be determined by Blab management.)

After 9 months from the starting or renewal date refunds will not be given. So yes, you do get refunded if you decide you don't like Blab.

ravensgate
05-28-2008, 02:49 PM
I did quote you, so haha! :lol

Anyway, I saw what Jaime wrote and seemed to remember reading about a full refund cancellation period. So I looked up the FAQ (http://www.modelhorseblab.com/forums/faq.php?faq=faq_membership_info#faq_faq_membership _cancellation) and found this: So yes, you do get refunded if you decide you don't like Blab.

:lol I thought that might be the case, but I was too lazy to go look it up. So there ya go folks, no use in complaining stuff ain't free when if you decide you don't like it you can get a full refund. I think that's VERY linient that it is 3 months. I might give it two weeks tops (guess I'm a big meanie:devil)

flicksmom
05-28-2008, 07:10 PM
We do run free trials every year. Sometimes it's around BF, sometimes, it's other times. And yes, we also have unpaid subscriptions. Blab does not run off the generosity of Mary's bank account - it has costs associated with it. The hosting, the software, etc...and especially the add ons to the software, they aren't cheap and they aren't free.

And if you look at the forums with the single, solitary * somewhere in their description, THOSE are free. There's a lot more than "3 or 4". In fact, THIS forum is free!

Teresa

hi_d_hi
05-28-2008, 08:02 PM
Having a trail membership makes a lot of sense. It's better then paying the amount and finding out you don't like it. Then if you like it you pay, what could be easier.

muggyscugglemeyer
05-28-2008, 10:17 PM
Having a trail membership makes a lot of sense. It's better then paying the amount and finding out you don't like it. Then if you like it you pay, what could be easier.

But Jamie and Jamie already pointed out that you can get a refund.

bronzino
05-28-2008, 10:42 PM
And if you look at the forums with the single, solitary * somewhere in their description, THOSE are free. There's a lot more than "3 or 4". In fact, THIS forum is free!

'Tis true. List below. And some of our highest-traffic forums are free. :)

Announcements
Contests
Introductions
Arena
Beginner's Corner
Original Finish Corral
Sales
Show Announcements
Yo!
Artists Announcements
General Off Topic
Games and Silliness
Youth All Topic
the Transactions Board
Blab Tech
Suggestion Box

hi_d_hi
05-28-2008, 11:50 PM
But Jamie and Jamie already pointed out that you can get a refund.

And? I like to express my opinion on it, because trail memberships make sense to me.

Mary
05-29-2008, 12:03 AM
A week's full access at the beginning of a new free membership is an excellent idea, and one I've wanted to do. The way to make it work is having the software manage it. It would not be reasonable to try to do it manually, too many new registrants.

Since that isn't yet possible, Blab has offered a free access week 2-3 times a year, at Blab's birthday and at New Year's. I think another one in summer is a great idea. :)

DraytonWoods
05-29-2008, 12:17 AM
That would be cool. :cool:
FYI for people reading on the free side: I recently was off paid to free then decided to pay again. I think that the free forums are a good representative of the whole of Blab. While you don't get the full features everyone is dying to get for free, it does give one a good feel of the board community and topics at hand.