PDA

View Full Version : Beware, non friends can read

SMichaud
08-07-2008, 06:17 PM
Non friends CAN read your visitor comments. And they can see who your friends are.
:cool:

mysticwarrior620
08-07-2008, 06:29 PM
Non friends CAN read your visitor comments. And they can see who your friends are.

True. You can also see who's been visiting your profile page.:hubba

SMichaud
08-07-2008, 06:49 PM
I only said it because it was clear from seeing a few pages that people were not aware if they could be read by non friends. I still can't figure out my page but I really don't care. Just looks more like a popularity thing to me. I've got WAY too much other stuff to do.

Melissa
08-07-2008, 06:54 PM
I haven't seen anything incriminating

Legacy
08-07-2008, 06:59 PM
True. You can also see who's been visiting your profile page.:hubba

Yeah, that kind of creeps me out. I wish there was a way to turn that function off if you wanted to. I really don't care to see who's visiting me, and sometimes I'd rather not let other people know I was visiting them! We need a stealth setting :ninja

SeaWatch
08-07-2008, 07:04 PM
Yeah, that kind of creeps me out. I wish there was a way to turn that function off if you wanted to. I really don't care to see who's visiting me, and sometimes I'd rather not let other people know I was visiting them! We need a stealth setting :ninja

:yeahthat

SMichaud
08-07-2008, 07:04 PM
IMHO it's voyeurism. Ick. Feels slimy. MY opinion only.

HorseChick
08-07-2008, 07:08 PM
I can see your point to the voyeuristic qualities and do agree. I'd prefer the comments section to be viewable by peeps on the friends list only.

That being said, since it IS currently public, I know to post fun innocuous posts and save the more personal stuff for PMs and emails.

Maybe taking them private is something Mary and the mods can look into.

delacroix3721
08-07-2008, 07:14 PM
for me, i don't post anything i don't mind everybody reading. :)

and anyone... feel free to ask, whatchu talkin' bout jenn? cause a good chunk of the time, even i don't know! :lol

when these new changes came about, i also worried about it being a popularity contest, and that bothers me. i truly feel like all Blabbers are my friends, even if they're not on my "friend" list.

i have a myspace and facebook account, but i maintain them solely for my own amusement, not to keep track of people or see how many internet "friends" i can get.

Blab is much, much more personal than that to me and i'd hate to see that change. :grouphug

bronzino
08-07-2008, 07:25 PM
I chalked it up as vB's attempt to be more like MySpace or Facebook, and no, it's not really my cuppa, either. I'm the girl that forgets to send a card; I will likewise forget to send a friend request. Plus, I have a website. Whatever I want the world to see at a given time will go there. Just as it could for anybody. Why do I need a special page on Blab that broadcasts the same info? I dunno!

Anyhoo, it's true that you can't stop the system from tracking visits to profile pages. But you can disable visitor messages, and I'd suggest that option to anyone concerned about people posting otherwise private info. That's especially true because, as you say, this feature has just been rolled out and people might not realize that visitor messages are not private. That will force anyone trying to contact you to use email or PMs.

SMichaud
08-07-2008, 07:31 PM
But you can disable visitor messages, and I'd suggest that option to anyone concerned about people posting otherwise private info.

I was trying to figure it out Eliz, but I'm too dumb. :randommil Help. :)

bronzino
08-07-2008, 07:41 PM
It is SO not in a logical place - that's why you can't find it. Instead of being in any area devoted to "Profile" customization, it's in "Edit Options" in your User CP. Once you hit "Edit Options," you'll find it here:

http://www.bronzino.net/blab/updates/bronzino_9.gif

I'm hoping this isn't just a function that I get as a moderator, by the way. If you still can't find it, PM me and I'll navigate ya through it, Steph. :)

SMichaud
08-07-2008, 07:44 PM
Ah HA! Yes, THANKS deary! Long lost friend! :hugg

Elf
08-07-2008, 07:50 PM
I have no problem with the profile pages. If you don't like them, or they make you feel uncomfortable, don't use them.

bronzino
08-07-2008, 08:07 PM
Glad to help Steph, as I didn't know how to do it before I checked, either. Now I'm going to transfer the instructions to Blab Tech.

Also, I just discovered how to turn off Friend Requests, thereby effectively disabling the Friend Request feature from your Profile page. If you already have friends, turning off this feature will not get rid of them - you must remove them individually. Here's how it's done: You go to "Edit Options" in your User CP, and disable the box that says "Receive Friendship Request Email."

EDIT: And I'm sorry to report that this function apparently does not work. In our test, my prospective friend disabled "Receive Friendship Request Email," and she still received my Friend Request.

muggyscugglemeyer
08-07-2008, 08:50 PM

Oh my gosh! In a public forum!?!?

mysticwarrior620
08-07-2008, 09:00 PM
for me, i don't post anything i don't mind everybody reading. :)

This should be painfully obvious to any victim of my profile messages or user notes...:one

bronzino
08-07-2008, 09:03 PM
Oh fer cryin out loud, muggy, 'twas just a question. What's with the sar-CHASM??

muggyscugglemeyer
08-07-2008, 09:06 PM
Possibly the sad fact that I have nothing better to do than put pictures of hairy chested hunks in my profile.

bronzino
08-07-2008, 09:13 PM
Possibly the sad fact that I have nothing better to do than put pictures of hairy chested hunks in my profile.

Understood. I personally have nothing better to do right now than troll Blab for User questions.

bronzino
08-07-2008, 09:15 PM
Maybe we should trade occupations. I've been told my profile is pretty lame.

delacroix3721
08-07-2008, 09:18 PM
mine's Blab-issue blue.... and i loves it! :adore

eventually, i'll be the unique one who hasn't customized their profile... see, i do have a plan! ;)

Laura G
08-07-2008, 09:19 PM
I have no problem with the profile pages. If you don't like them, or they make you feel uncomfortable, don't use them.

And I am aware that they are not private.
That's what PMs are for. :)

muggyscugglemeyer
08-07-2008, 09:19 PM
Maybe we should trade occupations. I've been told my profile is pretty lame.

Could be fun! Did you check out my current hunk? I call him Paddington.

Kristi Hale
08-07-2008, 09:26 PM
I deleted it first.

muggyscugglemeyer
08-07-2008, 09:27 PM
I deleted it first.

I saw it before you deleted it. What was that chicken doing?

Kristi Hale
08-07-2008, 09:30 PM
Hands up all those who immediately checked out Muggy's profile, just, you know, to see if she was joking or not.

:hello

Laura G
08-07-2008, 09:30 PM
Chicken? What chicken?

delacroix3721
08-07-2008, 09:31 PM
:hello i checked! lol

but i frequent muggy's profile anyway, just to pester her. she seems too content with life. ;)

AdirondackAppy
08-07-2008, 09:31 PM
Hands up all those who immediately checked out Muggy's profile, just, you know, to see if she was joking or not.

:hello :grin

whitetail ridge
08-07-2008, 09:34 PM
I think if you do see something nasty or receive nasty messages, you can contact a mod right? Same with posts and pms if they get really bad. My friends are my friends. I'm sure there are some people who will view it as popularity, but at this point I know I'm not that popular and could care less really. I don't think anyone whould feel sad about not having "friends". Sometimes people have to take the initiative about asking too. I don't see a huge issue. Just another way to enjoy the board I think.

muggyscugglemeyer
08-07-2008, 09:38 PM

I was going to write 'naked', but Blab might have crashed when everyone clicked on my profile at once.

delacroix3721
08-07-2008, 09:39 PM
people probably groaned when they saw my friend request! :uh LOL

i asked some people, some people asked me... it's all in good fun. :)

delacroix3721
08-07-2008, 09:39 PM
people probably groaned when they saw my friend request! :rolleyes LOL

delacroix3721
08-07-2008, 09:41 PM
sorry.... my fingers, they don't so good sometimes.

and OF COURSE! those are the times when i inexplicably can't edit my post! :randommil

Kristi Hale
08-07-2008, 09:42 PM
I was going to write 'naked', but Blab might have crashed when everyone clicked on my profile at once.
The one I posted isn't naked, but he does have a hairy chest. And that feather... ooooooh!

delacroix3721
08-07-2008, 09:42 PM
AHHHHH!!!!!

why can't i edit??? :randommil

muggyscugglemeyer
08-07-2008, 09:43 PM

Exactly!! If I didn't find this place fun, I wouldn't be here. And everyone would suffer my hunk-less, nonexistant profile!!!

muggyscugglemeyer
08-07-2008, 09:45 PM
The one I posted isn't naked, but he does have a hairy chest. And that feather... ooooooh!

Do tell Laura G it's a chicken feather. That'll make her day.

Elf
08-07-2008, 09:45 PM

Guilty.

Laura G
08-07-2008, 09:47 PM

I posted a picture of my own hunk. :grin

muggyscugglemeyer
08-07-2008, 09:51 PM
Guilty.

I feel so like the Pied Piper of Blab now. Leading the innocent down the road to corruption.

Liz
08-07-2008, 10:07 PM
:run

delacroix3721
08-07-2008, 10:08 PM
innocent? who's innocent?? ;)

hi_d_hi
08-07-2008, 10:16 PM
I still can't figure out my page but I really don't care. Just looks more like a popularity thing to me. I've got WAY too much other stuff to do.

You're not having any fun then. :tsktsk It's a lot easier then you may think. I was feeling left out until a kind soul told me step by step instructions. :yes

hi_d_hi
08-07-2008, 10:17 PM

I want to see something incriminating! :lol

nekomi
08-07-2008, 10:19 PM
On a related note - is there any way to turn off the "Current Activity" box in the profile, that says what thread you're reading at the moment, etc.?

Not that it's a horrible thing, but I guess I just didn't ask for my activity here on Blab to be collected and then broadcast on my profile, especially that specific. :grin To me it feels like an invasion of privacy. :dunno

ravensgate
08-07-2008, 10:20 PM
You can delete the visitor messages so I don't see what the deal with that is. I just went in and tested it, and it appeared to have worked.

ravensgate
08-07-2008, 10:21 PM
On a related note - is there any way to turn off the "Current Activity" box in the profile, that says what thread you're reading at the moment, etc.?

Not that it's a horrible thing, but I guess I just didn't ask for my activity here on Blab to be collected and then broadcast on my profile, especially that specific. :haha

But it's always been like that. Ever since I have been a member if I want to go see where someone is on blab I just check their profile.

ravensgate
08-07-2008, 10:24 PM
Heehee, hey Liz I just deleted the message. Go in and see if you can still see it or not. It says 'soft delete' on my option but I can't view it once I delete it.

Tobie Keith
08-07-2008, 10:25 PM

Not that it's a horrible thing, but I guess I just didn't ask for my activity here on Blab to be collected and then broadcast on my profile, especially that specific. :grin To me it feels like an invasion of privacy. :dunno

Any paid member logged in can go to the user forum at any time and view who's online and what they are currently looking at. It's always been like that :2spy

delacroix3721
08-07-2008, 10:26 PM
yep, it's always been there.... go to "who's online" and it tells what they're doing.

i've actually found some fascinating back threads that way, see what other people (mostly guests) are reading, click on it, and discover an awesome, new-to-me thread! :)

nekomi
08-07-2008, 10:26 PM
But it's always been like that. Ever since I have been a member if I want to go see where someone is on blab I just check their profile.

Really? I thought that it used to say something generic like "Checking PMs" or "Reading Blab" but not specifically WHICH thread or anything. Thanks for pointing that out, I guess nothing's changed then :haha

bronzino
08-07-2008, 10:27 PM
I feel so like the Pied Piper of Blab now. Leading the innocent down the road to corruption.

The Kwame of Blab.

delacroix3721
08-07-2008, 10:28 PM
geez, muggy.... first a cult, now this? you're on a roll! :run lol

i'm still working on my cult robe, i think it shall be white with golden tassels.

ravensgate
08-07-2008, 10:34 PM
Really? I thought that it used to say something generic like "Checking PMs" or "Reading Blab" but not specifically WHICH thread or anything. Thanks for pointing that out, I guess nothing's changed then :haha

Yes indeedy. If I sent someone a PM I could go look at their profile and see if they were reading a thread and which one, and if I refreshed I could see them in 'Private Messaging'. It's always said thread titles, blab index, user cp, private messaging and so on. You've probably been spied on and didn't even know it!:lol

ravensgate
08-07-2008, 10:35 PM
Heehee, hey Liz I just deleted the message. Go in and see if you can still see it or not. It says 'soft delete' on my option but I can't view it once I delete it.

Ok, so Liz and I just verified the deletion of visitor message does work. So, that's one worry down.:grin

Roseridge
08-07-2008, 10:37 PM
I actually have no interest in Facebook and the rest of the social networking sites out there, but I am enjoying this tiny less intimidating version of the same thing! Just for fun!

Elf
08-07-2008, 10:38 PM
But isn't there a way to turn this off? I am in 'invisible mode' right now. Can you see what I am up to?

innocent? who's innocent?? ;) Innocent? ;)

hi_d_hi
08-07-2008, 10:42 PM
I only said it because it was clear from seeing a few pages that people were not aware if they could be read by non friends.

Or it could be they don't care. :rolleyes :boltOff to see where StephM's been. ;)

hi_d_hi
08-07-2008, 10:44 PM
I actually have no interest in Facebook and the rest of the social networking sites out there, but I am enjoying this tiny less intimidating version of the same thing! Just for fun!

I joined whatzit? the other place, but I'm going to delete my profile, because I never go there. So yeah, this is fun.

ravensgate
08-07-2008, 10:44 PM
But isn't there a way to turn this off? I am in 'invisible mode' right now. Can you see what I am up to?

Innocent? ;)

That's the trick. If you are on invisible mode we can't see where you are:)

muggyscugglemeyer
08-07-2008, 10:46 PM
Can you see if they've visited your profile?

hi_d_hi
08-07-2008, 10:46 PM
I deleted it first.

Darn should'a known it was you. ;)

Elf
08-07-2008, 10:57 PM
That's the trick. If you are on invisible mode we can't see where you are:)

*Evil Laugh* You will never know what I am doing on the blab, I am a Blab Ninja! :roses

Heading out to see what is going on around Blabdom :2spy

:lol

I couldn't help it ;)

delacroix3721
08-07-2008, 11:01 PM
one thing i am glad about, is that when it says you are viewing "User Profile" it does not say whose user profile you're viewing! eek!

thebillybo
08-07-2008, 11:11 PM
I went to see Muggy's profile... :lol

Did notice her Woohoo's eyes are purple, same as the background.

Ok... must figure out better way to phrase it than "her Woohoo". :hubba

delacroix3721
08-07-2008, 11:12 PM
! :lol

muggyscugglemeyer
08-07-2008, 11:17 PM

I -- I feel so much closer to you now....

Thos Woohoo guys always make me think of ducks in a shooting gallery.

Roseridge
08-07-2008, 11:22 PM
:dancealot

PARTY at Muggy's Profile page! Everyone is there looking at her woohoo!

muggyscugglemeyer
08-07-2008, 11:27 PM
:dancealot

PARTY at Muggy's Profile page! Everyone is there looking at her woohoo!

:roflmao:roflmao:roflmao

Nightmare
08-08-2008, 02:25 AM
Muggs, you know I love you, but I'm not staring at your woohoo ;) .

Two Fishies
08-08-2008, 02:26 AM
This thread finally encouraged me to get off my woohoo and pick my profile colors. :grin

Can we pick colors other than the ones on the pallet? I tried typing in other hexadecimal values to no avail. :somad B-b-but, I want desaturated colors! :cry

Horsefeathered
08-08-2008, 02:54 AM

:devil ..raises hand..

eventingpony24
08-08-2008, 03:23 AM
As far as I know we can choose any colours with Hex values Laura. I can try and give you a hand if you need.

Tobie Keith
08-08-2008, 06:25 AM

"her Woohoo" is always going to be more acceptable than other things I can think of because your comment sent my mind to the gutter :roflmao

Tobie Keith
08-08-2008, 06:36 AM
While a bit intimidating at first, I see the positive values of being able to post a visitor message - it's public, yes, but it's still private - one has to actually to to your page. It's not nearly as public as an open thread that anyone at all can use. I think you actually have to be signed up - a visitor cannot access anyone.

And I don't think it's a popularity contest to see who can get the most "friends". I'd actully like to invite a few to my friendship list but I can't muster up the courage to do so because I'm not sure they would say yes :bolt

Kristi Hale
08-08-2008, 09:01 AM
Ok, so Liz and I just verified the deletion of visitor message does work. So, that's one worry down.:grin
Yep, you can edit them too. That's how I, er, well, never mind now... let's just say my legion of friends and I will be staying out of trouble. :hubba

Kristi Hale
08-08-2008, 09:04 AM
You are supposed to be able to type in any code for a color. Somebody had a link to a webpage showing all the hex colors in existence...

eventingpony24
08-08-2008, 09:10 AM
I find this chart can come in quite handy

http://www.pagetutor.com/common/bgcolors1536.png

anniemare
08-08-2008, 09:20 AM
Also:

http://draac.com/hexchart.html

bronzino
08-08-2008, 09:22 AM
I find this chart can come in quite handy

http://www.pagetutor.com/common/bgcolors1536.png

Nice! I'm going to sticky this in Blab Tech later.

Kristi Hale
08-08-2008, 09:35 AM
Has anyone tried using a picture for the background?

eventingpony24
08-08-2008, 09:45 AM
I believe in the updates thread that Mary said that the background picture option was not available, and she was trying to find a way of removing it.
So I am assuming that it doesnt work at all, I havn't tried though.

bronzino - definately sticky it, it has a wider range than most hex charts I have found! :D

hi_d_hi
08-08-2008, 10:12 AM
Has anyone tried using a picture for the background?

I was just going to ask that question. Doesn't the picture have to come from the album or something?

RavenwolfDesign
08-08-2008, 10:13 AM
yeah it sounds like it has to be in your album...unless i'm mistaken

Kristi Hale
08-08-2008, 10:29 AM
I believe in the updates thread that Mary said that the background picture option was not available, and she was trying to find a way of removing it.

Aw, someone try it -- I would, but I'm afraid of screwing up my whole thing! :randommil

eventingpony24
08-08-2008, 10:35 AM
Just had a fiddle with the background image then, and sorry but I couldn't get it to accept anything. :(

Two Fishies
08-08-2008, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the charts! Dear Gawd, what was I thinking with that scheme last night? :lol I ended up using Photoshop's color picker window this morning to pull color from the project I'm doing for work.

That's it. I've officially spent too much time on this. I have "real" graphic design I'm supposed to be doing. ;)

ETA: Is the shade of orange too aggressive?

Erin
08-08-2008, 12:02 PM
I've got mine set to retina-burning pink.

Two Fishies
08-08-2008, 12:06 PM
I've got mine set to retina-burning pink.

Nah, you could get it waaaay more retina burning. Try #FF0099. :cool:

You ever notice how "web-safe" and "retina-safe" are mutually exclusive?

Mel Miller
08-08-2008, 12:22 PM
My favorite color picking site is apparently gone (again *sigh*), but this comes very close. It allows you to pick a color and then tells you what the complements, etc are. Really great for picking out entire color schemes! :woohoo

http://www.workwithcolor.com/hsl-color-schemer-01.htm

Melissage
08-08-2008, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the charts! Dear Gawd, what was I thinking with that scheme last night? :lol I ended up using Photoshop's color picker window this morning to pull color from the project I'm doing for work.

That's it. I've officially spent too much time on this. I have "real" graphic design I'm supposed to be doing. ;)

ETA: Is the shade of orange too aggressive?
I'd say it's more of a passive orange :grin

LaughingStockStables
08-08-2008, 12:29 PM
Guilty.

Me too. :D

I LOVE this whole new friend-thing, I'm getting a total kick out of it.

timberwolf
08-08-2008, 01:11 PM
My favorite color picking site is apparently gone (again *sigh*), but this comes very close. It allows you to pick a color and then tells you what the complements, etc are. Really great for picking out entire color schemes! :woohoo

Wow, I just played around on this site and I love the results. Thanks for the link Melanie. :yaymiller

mariannas
08-08-2008, 02:00 PM

*saves*

Thanks for posting this Mel! I usually am pretty good at picking rockin' color combos, but every once in awhile I get stuck - I can see this being a great tool for the times I'm in a rut.

BearsnBugs
08-08-2008, 04:15 PM

It's always been like that. You have to set yourself to invisible to not be seen by other members.

Kristi Hale
08-08-2008, 04:56 PM
I am spying on Nekomi right now.

Muhahahaha!!!!!

bassgirl1970
08-08-2008, 07:03 PM
Hex codes - hmm - this is my favourite site.... :yaymiller

http://www.december.com/html/spec/color.html

nekomi
08-08-2008, 08:21 PM
I am spying on Nekomi right now.

Muhahahaha!!!!!

:roflmao :roflmao :roflmao

HorseChick
08-08-2008, 08:22 PM
I'm in stealth mode and have been since I found it. You'll NEVER find me :hubba

bassgirl1970
08-08-2008, 08:33 PM
Ooh - muwhaha! Ninja - luv it!!

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m93/bassgirl1970/Emoticons/ninja.gifhttp://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m93/bassgirl1970/Emoticons/ninja.gifhttp://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m93/bassgirl1970/Emoticons/ninja.gif

:roflmao:roflmao:roflmao:roflmao

bassgirl1970
08-08-2008, 08:36 PM
:roflmao :roflmao :roflmao

me too..... http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m93/bassgirl1970/Emoticons/ninja.gif

:2spy

:lol

wobbler_kitty
08-12-2008, 12:02 AM
I LOVE this whole new friend-thing, I'm getting a total kick out of it.

It's way cooler now but the friend thing has always been an option. You just had to type in the person's name in that area of your User CP and a little + would show up next to their user name in the Who's Online area. I 'befriended' the other mods a long time ago so I can quickly scan Who's Online to see if any other mods were on.

Mary
08-12-2008, 11:48 PM

bronzino - definately sticky it, it has a wider range than most hex charts I have found! :D

It shouldn't be showing up. Haven't figured out yet why it is.