PDA

View Full Version : PASSWORD = USERNAME - PLEASE READ !!

Mary
09-06-2008, 08:51 AM
Blab's software provider is issueing an update to the software (NOT a total upgrade) that covers several security issues. One change they are introducing is prohibiting passwords the same as the username. Apparently there are people who visit forums and try one username after the other until they are in.

This programmed prohibition will be immediate once the update is made to Blab. Members whose password is the same as their username will be asked to change their password the next time they try to log in.

I don't have a firm date for the update, but it could be any time before the end of the month.

Those who would like to change their password at their own convenience can do so through their User CP (left side of the blue bar across the top of the forum.) See the left side selections.

Feel free to comment in this thread. :)

luvmodeltmaking
09-06-2008, 09:04 AM
I think the best thing to do is to make the password complicated,but something you can remember(or jot down!).I would never make it the same as the username,that is just too vunerable.Thanks Mary!:)

SeaWatch
09-06-2008, 10:07 AM
I can't imagine that anyone would actually use their user name as their password... But, apparently, it does happen.

You should make your password from letters AND numbers. And, it's even better if it isn't even a real word. Never, ever use a password that is the name of your pets, children, family members, etc....

Mary
09-06-2008, 12:39 PM
I wonder if many of us assume there really isn't anyone interested in using our access to sneak into Blab. But thinking about it there could be someone we don't even know who for whatever reason doesn't want to register, but wants in enough to try usernames they see. Particularly if they can find a paid user. Hmmm ... the restriction sounds more and more like a good control to have.

Anime Horse Freak
09-07-2008, 12:23 PM
Yeah, especially if it's a troll or banned member trying to wreak havok or get revenge. Had that happen on another forum. An obsessed banned member somehow gained access and started all kinds of trouble til they caught her. (Had something to do with a personal issue between her and the listowner.)

Schnauzer
09-07-2008, 02:38 PM
While my password was not the same, it was very simple. So on your advice, I changed it to include numbers and symbols. Is there an easy way to retrain the mind to type in the new password? <G> Aging brain syndrome...I keep typing in the old one and can't log on. Stupid me, but good idea.
Ann

Mary
09-07-2008, 06:12 PM
While my password was not the same, it was very simple. So on your advice, I changed it to include numbers and symbols. Is there an easy way to retrain the mind to type in the new password? <G> Aging brain syndrome...I keep typing in the old one and can't log on. Stupid me, but good idea.
AnnI have struggled with this for years. :lol And goshamighty, how many passwords does the world think one human can remember? It seems every application and website wants users to have a unique password that is hard to guess. I can't even remember what's on a short grocery list. :lol

I've started taking 2-3 names that are well known to me, pick a syllable or two and then slightly modify each, and put them together with numbers and characters. I actually find that not too hard to remember.

Funny thing ... Blab has the "remember me" option so that the member doesn't have to enter their password every time. Some members haven't logged on with their password in a very long time, years even, and have no idea what it is any more. Every once in a while I hear from one that is locked out inadvertently ... no problem to help them, easy to happen! :wink :grin

Whinnie
09-07-2008, 06:30 PM
Funny thing ... Blab has the "remember me" option so that the member doesn't have to enter their password every time. Some members haven't logged on with their password in a very long time, years even, and have no idea what it is any more. Every once in a while I hear from one that is locked out inadvertently ... no problem to help them, easy to happen! :wink :grin

Yep. I always have to try and figure it out when I go to my mom's house and log on to their computer. And thats once a week, and I still have problems! xD But I use mostly the same password, for all websites, but it does change by a little bit here to there, to keep people off that know me.

Snitter
09-07-2008, 07:04 PM
Since I have SO many passwords and not all companies let me use the same type of passwords (some its only six, others its numbers and letters...and now, some want them case sensitive...GAH!)

So,I have a sheet I keep in with my bill folder...it has the company name, whatever name I use to log in and the passwords,and since its my bill folder...I also include my account numbers. None of this is on my PC either...its all written down, I just don't trust my pc...no matter what hubby has on it...I have lost data and I am not going back up all the time...

BofA has this thing where you have to remember some stupid picture...then a clue or something....yeah NEVER EVER EVER...set up your banking passwords (or any passwords for that matter) if even slightly inebriated! To this day I have NO idea what the heck the picture I picked was or what I was thinking when I made the password to it!

karyllynne
09-09-2008, 06:24 AM
Besides all of the passwords for home/personal computer stuff, I have about a gazillion different ones at work. I found this on a site that I use frequently:

http://www.bankersonline.com/bankerstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=957

It's not perfect, but definitely better than having them on sticky notes all over my desk! There are a lot of 'invisible ink' 'spy pens' on Amazon -- take your pick! I prefer the one I got from the Banker's Store because it's a ballpoint pen. I've got another one that is felt tip and it tends to dry out if I don't use it fairly often.

At home, I have an address book with alphabetical dividers. I write the site name on the corresponding tab, along with my username in normal ink, then the password is written in invisible ink beside it. It works for me!

I just noticed that the Bankers Store only has the pack of three registers now -- phooey. I think I got a single register and a pen last year for about $7 or so.

TuckerStables
09-12-2008, 06:21 AM
I dont' know if this has been covered yet, but I use capital letters as well... Capitals and numbers, and I don't know if blab is case sensitive, but a lot of the other sites are... :)

Western_4_ever
12-13-2008, 08:02 PM
what I do is make my password almost a phrace *this is just an example* like: thedogatethecat. Then email it to me so I don't loose it or anything.