PDA

View Full Version : Blab and politics...

WPDR
10-16-2008, 12:21 PM
Can we NOT have McCain/Obama pictures and such on Blab??? This is the one place that I would love to stay free of all of that.

I don't want to start anything, it's just a simple request. I would much rather see and hear horses/model horses. Mindy

Erin
10-16-2008, 12:23 PM
I have sigs and avatars turned off - I haven't seen a bit of what you're talking about! ;)

WPDR
10-16-2008, 12:26 PM
I have sigs and avatars turned off - I haven't seen a bit of what you're talking about! ;)

I just seen some, avatars and such. How do you turn them off? Mindy

Laura G
10-16-2008, 12:28 PM
It's just an avatar. :dunno :rolleyes
If a Mod requests that I remove it, I will.
Until then, it stays. There's nothing wrong with expressing your opinion, and that's what I'm doing. :)

thebillybo
10-16-2008, 12:37 PM
I ignore them. I am so sick of this whole thing anymore. I don't open threads that are political, I don't read any of the jokes about it and I tend to completely phase out sigs and avatars.

I don't mix politics with my hobbies... so I ignore them. No big.

Erin
10-16-2008, 12:37 PM
I just seen some, avatars and such. How do you turn them off? Mindy

It's in your user CP, there's a box you can check to not display avatars and sigs. I turned them off so that blab is a little more "quiet" looking on my screen for while I'm at work!

Kristi Hale
10-16-2008, 01:11 PM
It's just an avatar. :dunno :rolleyes
If a Mod requests that I remove it, I will.
Until then, it stays. There's nothing wrong with expressing your opinion, and that's what I'm doing. :)
:yeahthat Just turn 'em off.

With Firefox, you can also download the Adblock plug-in, which can be used to eliminate individual pictures on a case-by-case basis, or pictures linked from particular websites, such as all those fetus tickers. I have some other things turned off as well. Instead of asking others to adhere to my desires, I became proactive. :)

Laura G
10-16-2008, 01:15 PM
I have had people PM me before and tell me that my signature crashes their computer. This is not my problem. YOU CAN turn off sigs and avatars. Very simple solution, very painless. :)

Landshark
10-16-2008, 01:20 PM
Wow well if politics aren't allowed in avatars and sigs then what about all the other non related hobby stuff we have? I am a perfect example of that! I only once asked a Blabber to consider changing her avatar because she had a swastika in it. She was nice enough to change it out but if she didn't then it was her choice as far as I was concerned even tho I found it offensive.

WindMillSongRanch
10-16-2008, 01:23 PM
They don't bother me I guess...I actually don't mind seeing others political interests.

thebillybo
10-16-2008, 01:23 PM
I don't care what people have in their sigs and avatars myself, I just ignore it if I don't care to see it, such as the political stuff.

I love seeing the variety of sigs and so on, I often will identify whose post I am reading by pictures, I don't even need to read the user name. :grin Those who change often I don't know as well... but the usual make reading quick and easy.

Laura G
10-16-2008, 01:26 PM
As long as it's something that couldn't be considered offensive, what does it matter what's in your sig or what your avatar is? I do consider a swastika offensive, but do we all have to have model horse avatars/sigs just because this is a model horse board? :dunno There's nothing wrong with using pictures of your pets, kids, etc, IMHO.

HorseChick
10-16-2008, 01:38 PM
I ignore them. I am so sick of this whole thing anymore. I don't open threads that are political, I don't read any of the jokes about it and I tend to completely phase out sigs and avatars.

I don't mix politics with my hobbies... so I ignore them. No big.

Avatar Hottness cannot be ignored! Do so at your own peril! I have the Power of the Dark Side! :grump

WPDR
10-16-2008, 01:53 PM
I guess I am just sick to death of all this pollitical going's on. All over TV, they call your house and COME to you house, all over every other website. I figured seeing this is a Model Horse Message Board. We could just nicely keep it neutral.

Sorry I've offended some of you by asking nicely to keep things non pollitical, but guess what maybe you are offending others.

I did NOT know I could turn avatars and signatures off. That is great to know. I also see that I can choose to ignore some users.

Tifns
10-16-2008, 01:54 PM
They dont bother me, it is interesting to see other peoples interest (and be nosey :wink) and plus it is freedom of speech IMO! but to each his own

Kristina
10-16-2008, 01:57 PM
But I thought everyone wanted to know that I'm voting for Ralph Wiggum and I'm afraid of flying floppies! :grump

:lol

Laura G
10-16-2008, 02:02 PM
I fail to see how I am being offensive. I have the right to express myself and that is what I'm doing. I am not sending any subliminal messages "You MUST vote for Obama". Everyone should be able to choose who they want to vote for but they shouldn't be telling others who they need to vote for. My brother is being an ass, trying to talk my 71 year old mother into voting for McCain. She is planning on voting for Obama. He needs to leave her alone and let her vote for who she wants to. Since I seem to be :deadhorse that's all I have to say about this. :peace

WPDR
10-16-2008, 02:02 PM
Fixed it now I don't see any! Thanks Amberella! Though I do love looking at cute avatars, I like this way too. Maybe I will turn them back on after all the elections are done.

Mindy

btook
10-16-2008, 02:31 PM
Political avatars/sigs don't bother me any.

Kristi Hale
10-16-2008, 03:05 PM
I guess I am just sick to death of all this pollitical going's on. All over TV, they call your house and COME to you house, all over every other website. I figured seeing this is a Model Horse Message Board. We could just nicely keep it neutral.
This is a message board populated by human beings, many of whom have lives outside the model horse hobby. Things unrelated to model horses get mentioned. Out of millions of subjects, politics is one of these. For example, I see you have a beautiful dog as your avatar, instead of a horse.

Sorry I've offended some of you by asking nicely to keep things non pollitical, but guess what maybe you are offending others.
You don't really have the right not to be offended by non-offensive images, and there's no reason things should be kept non-political. I would rather certain subjects not get mentioned, but I just don't read those threads, because I can't control what other people do.

I did NOT know I could turn avatars and signatures off. That is great to know. I also see that I can choose to ignore some users.
You should really try Firefox with Adblock.

anniemare
10-16-2008, 03:54 PM
Avatar Hottness cannot be ignored! Do so at your own peril! I have the Power of the Dark Side! :grump

Pfffft. I'm a pirate, I eat The Dark Side for breakfast - HA! Stays crunchy in milk.

bassgirl1970
10-16-2008, 04:29 PM
Doesn't worry me at all - I enjoy looking at everyone's siggies and avatars - especially those who constantly change theirs!!! Hhm - must be time to change mine again - hehe :wink

Roseridge
10-16-2008, 04:36 PM
I pretty much never change my avatar, but I do frequently read and respond in threads pertaining to politics and religion.

I do not mind seeing avatars of any kind, I see them as a "freedom of speech" issue-- unless they are inappropriate for minors to view, I think they should be allowed in any forum on Blab.

AdirondackAppy
10-16-2008, 04:41 PM
Pfffft. I'm a pirate, I eat The Dark Side for breakfast - HA! Stays crunchy in milk.

Then I have to try some- I hate when my breakfast gets soggy from milk. :greenangr :grin

Kristi Hale
10-16-2008, 05:10 PM
Someone should have this as their avatar.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v154/419Eater/Buggin.gif

bahannas
10-16-2008, 05:45 PM

Not to sound rude or anything, but this is the first presidential campaign in 8 years. It's a big deal to most people, and constant political news/opinions are to be expected, IMO. Not that I would know, considering I wont be able to vote until I'm 21. (I miss voting in the next election by one year of age)

Stacy
10-16-2008, 05:52 PM
Not to sound rude or anything, but this is the first presidential campaign in 8 years. It's a big deal to most people, and constant political news/opinions are to be expected, IMO. Not that I would know, considering I wont be able to vote until I'm 21. (I miss voting in the next election by one year of age)

The president gets elected every 4 years ;)

Gilder
10-16-2008, 05:53 PM

<scratching my head> Well, what were we doing in 2004 if there wasn't a Presidential election that year?

Roseridge
10-16-2008, 06:40 PM
<scratching my head> Well, what were we doing in 2004 if there wasn't a Presidential election that year?

Personally, I was voting against Bush. Kerry was never my fave, but I did what I had to do.

LaughingStockStables
10-16-2008, 06:44 PM

Yeah, you all will just have to survive until Twilight is out and I can get Paul or Orlando back up there...

ponypainter19
10-16-2008, 06:45 PM
Someone should have this as their avatar.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v154/419Eater/Buggin.gif

:toadd but that's too funny. :roflmao

champlain
10-16-2008, 07:14 PM
Personally, I'm glad that people are willing to share their opinions. I've learned alot and have been directed to quite a few sites that have been eye opening. Maybe there should be an area on Blab strictly to discuss politics, something similar to the Moms forum or the Youths forum?

DraytonWoods
10-16-2008, 07:20 PM
I think a Politics forum would be a great idea! :thumbsup

I don't think anything is wrong with having a "Yay, my candidate" av or sig, it would get hairy with a "Your candidate is a scumbag" ones though. But I don't see anyone doing that, which I think says a lot for Blabbers' civiity. :thumbsup. "they both stink" is pretty funny though. ;)

HorseChick
10-16-2008, 07:29 PM

<snap-hum> Off with the pirates head!:egyptian

cheseri
10-16-2008, 08:38 PM
Personally, I'm glad that people are willing to share their opinions. I've learned alot and have been directed to quite a few sites that have been eye opening. Maybe there should be an area on Blab strictly to discuss politics, something similar to the Moms forum or the Youths forum?

:agreed I actually like that we can talk about politics here and although there have a few posts that I thought were inappropriate (I think offend is too strong in the cases I've seen), they are in the minority and no more than on any other subject we frequently bring up. Everyone has a right to their opinions, even if I don't agree with them, and I find some of the debates going on here very educational. I've learned a lot :).

I think a political forum is a very good idea. The only thing is I don't think it should be restricted to paid members only or to adults only. I'm usually a supporter of such ideas but the youth of today are the ones whose futures we are planning right along with our own. It's important they have the opportunity to learn and be heard too and there are some very informed educated people here we can all learn a lot from :yes. Maybe we can also branch it out to include legal stuff and current laws/suggested laws that are being discussed.

Kristi Hale
10-16-2008, 08:51 PM
You can vote at 18. You can drink at 21.

Others have covered the 8 years thing. :grin

LesliKathman
10-17-2008, 10:13 AM
I don't mind the political avatars, but Chris' wombat is squicking me out.

Can we ban wombats? Or maybe just have a wombat-free forum?

Lesli

muggyscugglemeyer
10-17-2008, 10:18 AM

Lesli

I think it's the eyes...

bahannas
10-17-2008, 10:25 AM
Haha, lemme clear some stuff up...

I know the elections come every 4 years. I probably should've re-worded that statement, as I was implying that this is the end of the 8 year Bush term. I guess I was trying to say that this is the first time in 8 years that Bush can't be elected again.

Now, the 21 vs. 18 thing: I am 13 years old. In 4 years, I'll be 17, so I just barely miss voting the next elections. Then, in the 4 years after that, I'll be 21. Therefore, I wont be able to vote in the presidential elections until I'm 21, which is also the drinking age.

I should have been clearer in my earlier sayings. Sorry for the confusion! :)

Whinnie
10-17-2008, 10:25 AM
I agree with the others. I don't really care for politics, nor choose to read anything. So I dont. But I really dont mind people's avatars. I actually like to see who people are voting for. I know who I am voting for, and I dont need to be "sheltered" of politics. It is freedom of speech.
ETA: I understood perfectly whatcha meant Hanna, the first time :)

Stitch
10-17-2008, 11:21 AM
*giggles* well y'all know who I'm voting for! This is the perfect time of year to be silly *grins*

Kristi Hale
10-17-2008, 11:38 AM
Haha, lemme clear some stuff up...

I know the elections come every 4 years. I probably should've re-worded that statement, as I was implying that this is the end of the 8 year Bush term. I guess I was trying to say that this is the first time in 8 years that Bush can't be elected again.

Now, the 21 vs. 18 thing: I am 13 years old. In 4 years, I'll be 17, so I just barely miss voting the next elections. Then, in the 4 years after that, I'll be 21. Therefore, I wont be able to vote in the presidential elections until I'm 21, which is also the drinking age.

I should have been clearer in my earlier sayings. Sorry for the confusion! :)
Well, now it makes sense! I am not sure if we took you too literally, or not literally enough... :randommil

hi_d_hi
10-17-2008, 11:41 AM

Lesli

:agreed That wombat scares the crap outta me. :shocked

Kristi Hale
10-17-2008, 12:12 PM
I minimize my screen and scroll the Palin Wombat off to the left so I don't hafta look at it. Srsly!

LOL, man that thing is frightening...

anniemare
10-17-2008, 01:12 PM
<snap-hum> Off with the pirates head!:egyptian

<crack> Pistol shot before you get anywhere near me with that saber, missy. LOL! Besides, this is hotness right here:

http://a.bebo.com/app-image/6896465439/5411656627/PROFILE/i.yaquiz.com/img/q/u/08/05/20/Jack_Sparrow.jpg

WindMillSongRanch
10-17-2008, 01:55 PM
I minimize my screen and scroll the Palin Wombat off to the left so I don't hafta look at it. Srsly!

LOL, man that thing is frightening...

:roflmao

pzp
10-17-2008, 03:32 PM
The president gets elected every 4 years ;)

Seemed like 8 (or more) this last time around.:grump

Stacy
10-17-2008, 03:54 PM
Seemed like 8 (or more) this last time around.:grump

Moonbeam
10-17-2008, 07:32 PM
< snip>

No drinking while voting young lady! :drink

;)

Tobie Keith
10-17-2008, 07:40 PM

;)

No kidding. It could seriously distort your vision and cause electional dislexia :haha

Laura G
10-17-2008, 07:45 PM
I think that wombat is hysterical! :roflmao

bahannas
10-17-2008, 08:16 PM

;)

Haha! :lol PROMISE I wont! :grin

Stacy
10-17-2008, 08:58 PM
Haha! :lol PROMISE I wont! :grin

You do realize that there are local elections that take place all the time that you should be voting in? Voting for your senators and representatives have a larger impact than voting for the president ;)

Roseridge
10-17-2008, 09:26 PM
I think she meant that she wouldn't drink AND vote, not that she wouldn't vote.

Vote THEN drink. That's what I always say...(and what I drink and how much has something to do with who wins...):haveone

Stacy
10-17-2008, 09:36 PM
I think she meant that she wouldn't drink AND vote, not that she wouldn't vote.

Vote THEN drink. That's what I always say...(and what I drink and how much has something to do with who wins...):haveone

I meant to quote this :lol

Danelle
10-17-2008, 09:51 PM
This was sent to me by a friend ... Given my former career (ahem!), I found this hysterically funny...

-- Danelle

delacroix3721
10-17-2008, 09:58 PM
heehee! :lol

Roseridge
10-17-2008, 10:06 PM
This was sent to me by a friend ... Given my former career (ahem!), I found this hysterically funny...

-- Danelle

:roflmao:kisses

Kristi Hale
10-17-2008, 10:08 PM

-- Danelle
That is so very wonderful...

Mary
10-17-2008, 10:10 PM
I was all prepared to say yeah everybody here got it right, it's about changing the channel rather than censoring what people want to say ... and Blab IS a special place that those who want to can discuss politics in a friendly way ,,,

But then I saw Danelle's Maverick & Maiden poster and my eyes are reeling, mind is spinning ... :haha :randommil :1action-s

Recovering slowly from shock ... The only suggestion I'd have - definitely not a rule - is in kindness to others is to say in the thread title the election is the topic. Just a considerate gesture toward fellow members who are understandably keeping pillows mashed to their ears and caps down over their eyes when the election comes up.

The good news ... less than 20 days to go ... until the post-election media insanity ... :grin

Danelle
10-17-2008, 10:12 PM
Right, so can one of you Photoshop whizzes now do a romance book cover with Obama and ... oh, I dunno ... Hillary? :grin

-- Danelle

Roseridge
10-17-2008, 10:28 PM
The time for that was before the primary...Then, it would have been funny. Now it would just seem like old news.

Now, what I wanna see is something involving Joe The Plumber!

Meanwhile, read this group of broadway fans go on a roll with this cover and writing the copy to suit...Moments of VERY funny stuff here! John and I were both laughing out loud!

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=981332&boardname=off&boardid=2

Danelle
10-17-2008, 10:46 PM
Moments of VERY funny stuff here! John and I were both laughing out loud!

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=981332&boardname=off&boardid=2

I just cracked up over the "drill baby drill" line!

-- Danelle

Kristi Hale
10-17-2008, 10:53 PM
Right, so can one of you Photoshop whizzes now do a romance book cover with Obama and ... oh, I dunno ... Hillary? :grin

-- Danelle
No, go full bore. Obama and Biden. I say GO FOR BROKE!

Kristi Hale
10-17-2008, 10:54 PM
The time for that was before the primary...Then, it would have been funny. Now it would just seem like old news.

Now, what I wanna see is something involving Joe The Plumber!

Meanwhile, read this group of broadway fans go on a roll with this cover and writing the copy to suit...Moments of VERY funny stuff here! John and I were both laughing out loud!

Sarah put Baby Trig in his crib, and gave her cooing infant a bottle full of Nyquil. There would be no interruptions this night of nights.

Well, now we know why that kid is always sleeping every single time we see him on TV...

bronzino
10-18-2008, 03:00 PM
You guys KILL ME! :lol

Back to the original topic: Our Off-Topic forum is one of the reasons people seem to get drawn to Blab, and it's one of the most active forums. Most discussion lists focus almost exclusively on model horses; a few are off-topic-oriented, but they don't have nearly as large a membership base, so the discussion is less dynamic than it is here. Given that our Off-Topic forum seems to be one of the core attractions of Blab, I think we've got to expect that non-model-horse subjects will creep their way into virtually everything, including avatars and signatures, Blogs and Gallery images.

I appreciate that people told the OP about the self-moderation features. As a very related aside, if you haven't checked the options available in your User CP lately, it's probably a good idea to do so. A great deal has changed, and users now have a LOT more control over what they see or receive on Blab, than they ever did before.

bahannas
10-18-2008, 09:00 PM
I meant to quote this :lol

Heehee, feel free to! :)

Jenn Miller
10-18-2008, 09:09 PM
I am sick of politics too. I got my ballot in the mail today and can't decide what to do w' it. Should I vote? Should I burn it on the court house lawn and show my distaste for this country right now? Should I just eenie meenie minie mo my choice? WHAT!!!???? I am SO undecided! :randommil

champlain
10-18-2008, 09:36 PM
I am sick of politics too. I got my ballot in the mail today and can't decide what to do w' it. Should I vote? Should I burn it on the court house lawn and show my distaste for this country right now? Should I just eenie meenie minie mo my choice? WHAT!!!???? I am SO undecided! :randommil

VOTE

Danelle
10-18-2008, 11:35 PM
I have to confess, this election is scaring me ...

With all the passion, thuggery, and hysteria on both sides, I really fear that there will be unspeakable acts of violence and rioting in the streets no matter which candidate loses.

Sometimes we look like a third world nation. I hope that Americans can behave themselves no matter what the outcome.

-- Danelle

Mary
10-19-2008, 06:56 AM

With all the passion, thuggery, and hysteria on both sides, I really fear that there will be unspeakable acts of violence and rioting in the streets no matter which candidate loses.

Sometimes we look like a third world nation. I hope that Americans can behave themselves no matter what the outcome.

-- DanelleIf they didn't riot during the lawsuits that delayed the election results for weeks in 2004, I wouldn't expect people would do so now. :grin

Liz L is right, the opportunity to discuss a broad topic range seems to keep Blab vital to many members. And I think it gives us a chance to know each other better that if we only knew our Blab friends' opinions on models. :)

Tobie Keith
10-19-2008, 07:28 AM
VOTE

Word

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One man cannot change the world but one man can make a difference.

Non-vote = apathy, indifference, ignorance

It's your right to vote. Don't waste it by closing your eyes, wringing your hands, walking away in disgust or whining that someone doesn't agree with you. We live in the United States of America. If you are of voting age, you have a right to your freedom of speech expressed by voting for a candidate - the one that most reflects your beliefs and values. If you are a female - you need to be at the booth! You can do that without wearing a burka or fear of retaliation by militant groups who wish to keep you quiet. You will not have to fight to be heard or have your finger dipped in ink. You will not be shot leaving the building because you chose to make a difference.

Regardless of your political affiliation, this is your time to speak - not by calloused negative bashing when someone doesn't agree with you but by showing up on November 4th at your precinct and casting your vote. The precincts open at 6am and close at 7:30. Will you be there? Will you make a difference? Will your vote be the deciding vote?

And if you are not registered to vote, shame on you. If you are not registered to vote, shame on you for smearing and bashing the party you don't like. If you are not registered to vote, you should quietly walk away and not say another word out loud or in writing. Your voice cannot be heard.

anniemare
10-19-2008, 08:31 AM

Well, you got your ballot, VOTE! That is the only way we have to actually make a change in our government. Burning it or tearing it up or whatever will only give you momentary satisfaction, but it will change NOTHING. The presidential election is probably not the only thing on there, there are local things as well and those definitely need your input.

Women (and some men) fought hard so that you could have this ballot in your hand. It is highly important for people to participate in our *participatory government*, especially women and minorities, since for many of the groups included in that catchall, voting was not a "gimmie", it was a right fought for.

Passionate about people voting? You bet I am. IT is the way our government works and we are, quite frankly, blessed to live in one of the few countries in the world where we get a say in who our leaders and lawmakers are.

laughingmareacres
10-19-2008, 10:10 AM
Yep, vote!

There's always the choice of doing a write-in or voting for a third party. I voted for an Independent in 2004 because I couldn't stand either Bush or Kerry. I knew my guy probably wouldn't even get 1/2 percent of the total vote, but I felt better about myself for voting *for* someone than against the "other" party.

Besides, as others have mentioned, there are local elections that you should vote for anyway (though in my county, there are several offices that have only one person running...)

Jenn Miller
10-19-2008, 10:33 AM
Well, you got your ballot, VOTE! That is the only way we have to actually make a change in our government. Burning it or tearing it up or whatever will only give you momentary satisfaction, but it will change NOTHING. The presidential election is probably not the only thing on there, there are local things as well and those definitely need your input.

Women (and some men) fought hard so that you could have this ballot in your hand. It is highly important for people to participate in our *participatory government*, especially women and minorities, since for many of the groups included in that catchall, voting was not a "gimmie", it was a right fought for.

Passionate about people voting? You bet I am. IT is the way our government works and we are, quite frankly, blessed to live in one of the few countries in the world where we get a say in who our leaders and lawmakers are.

Completely understood on all parts but herein lies the problem, I don't WANT to vote for anyone running......I don't really like any of them now. Obama/McCain, etc. I see there are 4 choices on there I've never heard of. Today is my day to read up about them. :)

anniemare
10-19-2008, 01:38 PM
Well, there ya go. You have alternatives :)

Also, you don't have to fill out every section of the ballot if there is something you are unsure about.

JRT Mom
10-20-2008, 02:57 PM
Personally, I was voting against Bush. Kerry was never my fave, but I did what I had to do.

That's happening a LOT this year, believe me.

anniemare
10-20-2008, 04:45 PM
Colorado evidently has 16 candidates on the Presidential ticket. Woah!

NoLineFarm
10-20-2008, 05:09 PM
I vote to keep the freedom of avatars.

Cwallbruch
10-20-2008, 08:07 PM

Lesli

Again - jealously is such an ugly emotion. :D

Don't worry. My wombat will take off his Halloween costume come November 1st.

Cwallbruch
10-20-2008, 08:12 PM

-- Danelle

See, (thuggery aside) I think the passion is GREAT. I wouldn't want to be whoever gets picked because half of the country is going to be crabby about it, but I think it's wonderful that people are so passionate and emotionally invested in this election. Maybe it'll get America's lazy asses off the sofa and go vote in mass numbers this year. Take a look at this link - it's mighty sad. http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0781453.html

I'd love to see this height of interest in EVERY election (especially the local elections!) and hope that this isn't a one time occurence....

laughingmareacres
10-20-2008, 08:24 PM
See, (thuggery aside) I think the passion is GREAT. I wouldn't want to be whoever gets picked because half of the country is going to be crabby about it, but I think it's wonderful that people are so passionate and emotionally invested in this election. Maybe it'll get America's lazy asses off the sofa and go vote in mass numbers this year. Take a look at this link - it's mighty sad. http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0781453.html

I'd love to see this height of interest in EVERY election (especially the local elections!) and hope that this isn't a one time occurence....

And the stats are even worse when you compare us to the rest of the world (http://www.idea.int/vt/survey/voter_turnout_pop2.cfm). According to that site, we're 139th out of 172 countries in voter turnout. We've averaged 48.3% in elections since 1945.

Cwallbruch
10-20-2008, 08:25 PM

Well, that's just twelve shades of wrong.

But funny as hell. :D

HorseChick
10-20-2008, 09:04 PM
It didn't make the local news nor a newspaper but my husband's 2008 Dodge Ram megacab 2500 diesel truck (complete with red neck ladder racks ;) )was keyed today.

My car was keyed a couple of weeks ago.

They both sport Obama stickers. They will NOT be removed. I am not afraid. Karma will get those poor frightened souls.

I was talking to an Obama supporter, while in line waiting to early vote, who is afraid that he (Obama)won't live to be inaugurated. I have received emails from Republican friends/family who say the same. That "Bubba" will make sure of it.

I don't mind McCain, or I didn't. I don't like seeing him made fun of for making wrong turns or sticking his tongue out. I lost all respect for him when he chose Palin for his running mate. There were so many better choices that he could have made that really would have made me worry about the outcome of the election as IMO it would have been much closer.

I love politics and the political process but sometimes the people behind it really just.....suck. :mad

Hellen
10-20-2008, 09:08 PM
Again - jealously is such an ugly emotion. :D

Don't worry. My wombat will take off his Halloween costume come November 1st.

Next thing is to put LIPSTICK on the wombat! EEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

bronzino
10-20-2008, 09:55 PM
They both sport Obama stickers. They will NOT be removed. I am not afraid. Karma will get those poor frightened souls.

I'm sorry to hear that, Tracy, but I'm glad you're keeping your stickers on.

My boss' wife is a very avid Obama supporter. They live in a very nice, maybe what you might even call "tony" suburb here. Despite the township's pretty veneer, she's got a serious rat in her neighborhood, who keeps ripping down her Obama signs. Very creepy and crappy.

Danelle
10-20-2008, 10:40 PM
This is sad:

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/10/20/obama-leave-campaign-trail-visit-sick-grandmother/

-- Danelle

Roseridge
10-20-2008, 10:50 PM
This is sad:

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/10/20/obama-leave-campaign-trail-visit-sick-grandmother/

-- Danelle

Yes, it is sad, but it is good that even though he is in the last weeks of his campaign, he will make the trip to see her.

Melissage
10-21-2008, 12:06 AM
And here is another reason my bumper sticker came off...http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2008/oct/20/dead-bear-covered-with-obama-signs-found-at-sch-1/
:sad
I travel with my two little girls in my truck almost every time, I can't risk some jackass coming home from a bad deer or elk hunt ('tis the season) and take his political (and otherwise) frustrations out on me. Sick, sick, sick, people.

Kristi Hale
10-21-2008, 12:12 AM
:tsktsk

anniemare
10-21-2008, 08:21 AM
I'm sorry to hear that, Tracy, but I'm glad you're keeping your stickers on.

My boss' wife is a very avid Obama supporter. They live in a very nice, maybe what you might even call "tony" suburb here. Despite the township's pretty veneer, she's got a serious rat in her neighborhood, who keeps ripping down her Obama signs. Very creepy and crappy.

In 2004 my tail light was busted out for my Kerry sticker and we could NOT keep a Kerry sign in our yard.

I kept the busted tail light through the election season and did not remove my sticker.

Stacy
10-21-2008, 08:25 AM
In 2004 my tail light was busted out for my Kerry sticker and we could NOT keep a Kerry sign in our yard.

I kept the busted tail light through the election season and did not remove my sticker.

Do you have a ketchup manufacturer for a neighbor? I mean, maybe he was trying to eliminate the competition :P

anniemare
10-21-2008, 09:43 AM
Heh-heh.

Check out what my school district is doing today:

https://wapp.lps.org/rose/vote/student_vote/index.html

Katie Richards
10-21-2008, 09:47 AM
I don't have a "political" avatar or signature. But I totally defend anyone's right to have one. And I've seen them from both sides of the election. I think it's great. If you want a political-free zone, I think there is a way to turn off the graphics. A lot of us are enjoying the political back and forth. I don't mean to sound harsh, but that's how I feel. Thanks.

Katie Richards
10-21-2008, 09:50 AM
We are having it here, too, in our very affluent neighborhood. When you put up an Obama sign, they come into your yard and take it down. Mine was stolen on Friday. I filed a police report. The police are taking it very seriously, saying that there are two things going on: (1) theft; and (2) potential voter intimidation. They take both very seriously, even though the items in question are only $3 yard signs.

I've learned I have to have a whole stack of the signs on hand, and put one up when they take one down. Sad, because America is supposed to be the one place where everyone is allowed to voice their opinion. This is one of the key rights our people have bled and died for...

wobbler_kitty
10-21-2008, 11:36 AM
I think this topic comes up every four years or so. Meh. Someone is either burned out by political overload and wants to turn it off or someone else gets their hackles up about a an avatar or pic making fun of their candidate. Sometimes you just gotta walk away or ignore.

(Oh, and may I say Hell No! on adding yet another sub-forum. I think the board is sub-sectioned off enough as it is. Gives me a headache just thinking about....)

Kristi Hale
10-21-2008, 12:10 PM
Texas woman's car vandalized due to Obama sticker (http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/10/20/204023/54/741/636920)

Nice summary of other shenanigans going on, too. Death threats, slashed tires. The dead bear cub. And let's not forget the hanged ghost with upside down Obama signs.

Now remind me. Which candidate has the "terrorist connections," again? Hmmm.

HorseChick
10-21-2008, 01:03 PM
Heh-heh.

Check out what my school district is doing today:

https://wapp.lps.org/rose/vote/student_vote/index.html

I was looking through the stats for all schools and found it interesting that Obama won in all the scholls except for the private ones.

anniemare
10-21-2008, 01:46 PM
It is interesting, but I was not surprised.

cranbonite
10-21-2008, 01:55 PM
This is sad:

-- Danelle

I only hope that she is able to live to see the election, and hopefully, see history made with him winning it. I was bummed to hear this :(

Melissage
10-21-2008, 05:04 PM
Texas woman's car vandalized due to Obama sticker (http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/10/20/204023/54/741/636920)

Nice summary of other shenanigans going on, too. Death threats, slashed tires. The dead bear cub. And let's not forget the hanged ghost with upside down Obama signs.

Now remind me. Which candidate has the "terrorist connections," again? Hmmm.

This is one of the comments from the link you posted...
Simply take the clear resin part of two part epoxy and coat the backs. It never dries... and once the person touches it, they won't hold on not knowing what it is. Even if they are brazen enough to handle it they won't throw it in their cars, and if they do that stuff won't come off their interior.

However, I'm thinking more extreme forms of protection may be in order.

I'm thinking guard scorpions...

See, in my neighborhood in AZ I have Arizona Bark Scorpions all over my backyard (damn things are invincible to conventional pest control)...

I though about simply coating the backs of the signs with a glue, and dropping those painful suckers on the backs.

They can live for 6 months without food or water, so you'll have permanently affixed pissed off scorpions just waiting for some to screw with them.

I guarantee, once stung by one of those stealing a sign, that person won't be doing it ever again.

Also, perhaps electrifying the back of them... a nice shock that knocks them on their a** should be a good behavior modification therapy.

A nice sign taped to it saying "Touch this sign and in you're in for a shock!" should be a adequate warning.

I know it sounds extreme, but seriously, anyone willing to both commit a crime of stealing, as well as suppression of our Constitutional rights, for something as simple as supporting a candidate, I could care less how about how they feel. Don't f*&% with out signs and you'll be fine, that simple. F*&% with a sign and bear the consequences of defending our property and liberties.
(waiting for the scorpions' rights folks to weigh in here...)

Kristi Hale
10-21-2008, 05:30 PM
Coat the backs of what?

Erin
10-21-2008, 06:34 PM
I think yard signs, so that people get "surprised" when they steal them? Took me a few tries to gather that, though. :lol

LesliKathman
10-21-2008, 06:42 PM
I think yard signs, so that people get "surprised" when they steal them? Took me a few tries to gather that, though. :lol

In the signmaking trade, these types of signs (no matter what they advertise) are called "bandit signs" - and for good reason.

Lesli

Kristi Hale
10-21-2008, 07:41 PM
I was hoping it meant coat the backs of racists. We shall epoxy and feather them!

hi_d_hi
10-21-2008, 08:18 PM
I was hoping it meant coat the backs of racists. We shall epoxy and feather them!

And attach live Arizona Bark Scorpions.

Kristi Hale
10-21-2008, 08:53 PM
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i214/sharkkmann/obama.jpg

Melissage
10-21-2008, 09:38 PM
Coat the backs of what?

Crap, sorry, I somehow didn't get the title on there :lol

I agree we coat the backs of racists with epoxy and pissed off Scorpions as well, could make for some fine entertainment! :randommil :randommil :randommil :randommil

Kristi Hale
10-21-2008, 10:00 PM
Just get a freaking babysitter. (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081021/ap_on_el_pr/palin_family_travel#full)

Midnight Sun
10-23-2008, 12:03 PM
We are having it here, too, in our very affluent neighborhood. When you put up an Obama sign, they come into your yard and take it down. Mine was stolen on Friday. I filed a police report. The police are taking it very seriously, saying that there are two things going on: (1) theft; and (2) potential voter intimidation. They take both very seriously, even though the items in question are only $3 yard signs.

I've learned I have to have a whole stack of the signs on hand, and put one up when they take one down. Sad, because America is supposed to be the one place where everyone is allowed to voice their opinion. This is one of the key rights our people have bled and died for...

We've had our McCain/Palin signs stolen out of our yard TWICE now. I feel your pain. I wish I know who did it. I would obtain a sign of their choice and even put it up for them if they would just leave my signs the hell alone...but whatever. :rantonoff

Melissa
10-29-2008, 10:54 AM
:sigh I thought it was fine having "I'm for Obama" or "McCain/Palin" in you avatar or signature. But I'm noticing stuff becoming increasingly political. Someone has a "Pro life" avatar, there is nothing wrong with that, but what would happen if I had a "Pro choice" avatar with the line, "rape victims deserve a choice" and had a pic of a pregnant teenager on it? I'm also a little unhappy about some of the avatars that show canidates very negatively. It's one thing to post stuff in Political threads, but why do blabbers need to press their beliefs outside? To me it feels like the person is saying, "If you don't agree with me I don't want anything to do with you" I mean, I may be totally off base, but that is what I'm seeing.

Roseridge
10-29-2008, 03:27 PM
I am enjoying using this avatar the same way I am enjoying wearing my campaign button. I tried to choose one that was at least funny (I found it via a posting by another Blabber) and not negative toward the other candidate.

I promise I will return to my model horse avatar use after the election which is when I will also be taking off my campaign button.

DraytonWoods
10-29-2008, 04:05 PM
It would have been nice to have people stick to positive messages (I like my candidate) as opposed to negative (your candidate is a _____) but that's how it go.

The baby av is freaky. message wise it's tame enough (would rather not have abortion-related avs, but again that's the way it go-- I don't have the right to not be offended etc.) but the baby is just creepy. I like babies, a lot-- watching one in front of me now-- but fetal babies give me the willies. :lol

Laura G
10-29-2008, 04:09 PM
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i214/sharkkmann/obama.jpg

mmmmmm............bacon!

Laura G
10-29-2008, 04:14 PM

We kept the Kerry sticker on our van. It's still there. We need to put an Obama sticker on there.

Cwallbruch
10-29-2008, 06:08 PM
My wombat is an enormous fan of Sarah Palin. No one dresses up as something for Halloween that they don't like. However, he knows that after Halloween he needs to take off the costume. ;)

Roseridge
10-29-2008, 06:28 PM
My wombat is an enormous fan of Sarah Palin. No one dresses up as something for Halloween that they don't like. However, he knows that after Halloween he needs to take off the costume. ;)

I don't know if seeing the wombat naked will be better or not...:uh

Cwallbruch
10-29-2008, 06:49 PM
Too hot for you, huh? :page

Kristi Hale
10-29-2008, 08:05 PM
HE?

My God, is it not enough that it's a wombat dressed like Sarah Palin, it has to be a transvestite wombat dressed like Sarah Palin? :thud

Roseridge
10-29-2008, 09:16 PM
HE?

My God, is it not enough that it's a wombat dressed like Sarah Palin, it has to be a transvestite wombat dressed like Sarah Palin? :thud

Hold on, Kristi, don't condemn him too quickly.

I believe that he is only an experimental cross-dressing wombat. Maybe he is on his way to the Rocky Horror Picture Show or something. And you know he loves Sarah, so he must be a values-voting wombat!

Kristi Hale
10-29-2008, 09:33 PM
Best bumper sticker I've seen:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a66/charliesch/funnypop218336_acc90f1060.jpg

HorseChick
10-29-2008, 09:36 PM
:grumpWhat I really concerned with is how much that wombat spent on his clothing. Where they from a consignment shop, LLBean, or Needless Markup?

Kristi Hale
10-29-2008, 09:43 PM
I heard you can get some very nice things at Needless Markup for only $75,000.

Kristi Hale
10-29-2008, 09:45 PM
WTF. I did a Google image search for "wombat fetus," and the only thing I came up with looked good on the thumbnail, but upon closer inspection, turned out to be lobster in butter sauce.

That ain't right.

BearsnBugs
10-29-2008, 10:19 PM
WTF. I did a Google image search for "wombat fetus," and the only thing I came up with looked good on the thumbnail, but upon closer inspection, turned out to be lobster in butter sauce.

That ain't right.

Not a wombat fetus, but a very fresh wombat:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/arabianfoals/wombat.jpg

mysticwarrior620
10-29-2008, 10:22 PM

Not a wombat fetus, but wombat FEETSES!!

hi_d_hi
10-29-2008, 11:57 PM

They kind of look like Bull Terriers.

Laura G
10-30-2008, 12:03 AM
Looks a little pig-like to me. Except for the feetsies. Vair cute! :grinparty

delacroix3721
10-30-2008, 01:45 AM
indeed! :adore

lookit those lil piggy eyes! :hearts

Cwallbruch
10-30-2008, 05:24 AM
HE?

HEY! There is NOTHING WRONG with exploring different gender aspects. He's extremely versatile!

DraytonWoods
10-30-2008, 11:21 AM

:roflmao :roflmao

LesliKathman
10-30-2008, 11:24 AM
HEY! There is NOTHING WRONG with exploring different gender aspects. He's extremely versatile!

I think the correct term here is open-minded.

Lesli

Kristi Hale
10-30-2008, 11:37 AM
I didn't want to be the one to say this...

BearsnBugs
10-30-2008, 06:22 PM

:lol:lol:lol

BearsnBugs
10-30-2008, 06:25 PM

Never thought that before & I've had this saved for years, but can see it there now that you've said it. They don't so much as adults. :)

Elf
10-30-2008, 07:20 PM
After seeing a avatar today, I was wondering since we are OK here for 'free speech', I can put a Pro Choice avatar up right?

But then I would have to take Edward down...

bronzino
10-30-2008, 07:47 PM
After seeing a avatar today, I was wondering since we are OK here for 'free speech', I can put a Pro Choice avatar up right?

But then I would have to take Edward down...

I do not know Mary's precise thinking on this, but I am comfortable with this. I do not want to see people calling each other names, sexual content, or innards of any kind in avatars, but that should go without saying. IOW, peaceful, respectful expressions of belief are fine; anything veering towards the insulting or gross-out realm is subject to moderation - at least as far as I'm concerned. :)

Kristi Hale
10-30-2008, 07:49 PM
Shouldn't a fetus count as innards?

muggyscugglemeyer
10-30-2008, 07:52 PM
Shouldn't a fetus count as innards?

I would consider it as much innards as I would a tapeworm.

Melissa
10-30-2008, 08:17 PM
I would consider it as much innards as I would a tapeworm.

but a tapeworm is external. In most cases fetuses are made of a person's own body, in their own organs. Tape worms must be injested(sp?) So I would consider a fetus innard..... to a point

muggyscugglemeyer
10-30-2008, 08:25 PM
but a tapeworm is external. In most cases fetuses are made of a person's own body, in their own organs. Tape worms must be injested(sp?) So I would consider a fetus innard..... to a point

I see them both as a separate living organism living inside another living organism.

Melissa
10-30-2008, 08:29 PM
I see them both as a separate living organism living inside another living organism.

gotcha

muggyscugglemeyer
10-30-2008, 08:30 PM
:thumbsup

ravensgate
10-30-2008, 08:33 PM
So, I just had to come over and see why this thread was still going on. Figured there was a good fight going or something I was missing. But no, I come here and start reading posts about wombat fetuses. You gals are some sick puppies:lol Carry on.

Melissa
10-30-2008, 08:44 PM
So, I just had to come over and see why this thread was still going on. Figured there was a good fight going or something I was missing. But no, I come here and start reading posts about wombat fetuses. You gals are some sick puppies:lol Carry on.

That can be arranged :2spy

http://obama.play.de/us/obama-mccain-usa.htm

laughingmareacres
10-30-2008, 08:53 PM
That can be arranged :2spy

http://obama.play.de/us/obama-mccain-usa.htm

OMG Maudie - that's hilarious!

Let's just say I won :2spy

DraytonWoods
10-30-2008, 11:01 PM

And you're surprised by this? :lol ;)

Cwallbruch
10-31-2008, 06:37 AM
You all are going to be sorry when November 1st comes and he takes off his Palin costume.

But don't worry - he's all set for Thanksgiving! :D

Roseridge
10-31-2008, 08:42 AM
You all are going to be sorry when November 1st comes and he takes off his Palin costume.

But don't worry - he's all set for Thanksgiving! :D

What's that on the Thanksgiving table...

Turkey????

No...Transvestite Wombat with all the trimmings!:egyptian

Kristi Hale
10-31-2008, 10:07 AM
http://images.politico.com/global/rednecks.jpg

DraytonWoods
10-31-2008, 01:25 PM
*blinks*

Kristi Hale
10-31-2008, 01:44 PM
*blinks*
Oh yeah. Rednecks, liberals, sportos, motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, they all adore him. They all think he's a righteous dude.

nighthenge
10-31-2008, 03:01 PM
Oh yeah. Rednecks, liberals, sportos, motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, they all adore him. They all think he's a righteous dude.

Kristi Hale
11-01-2008, 09:54 PM
There's a word for people who do this sort of thing (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ap-mi-odd-halloween-boo,0,3308020.story). It starts with "D" and ends with "bag."

Kristi Hale
11-01-2008, 10:13 PM
Here she is on the news. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbkBE0lWeYU)

As a totally unrelated aside, I've heard that if you write on someone's concrete driveway with shaving cream, every time it rains, you will be able to see what was written.

LesliKathman
11-02-2008, 05:26 AM
I think she forgot her costume...

http://www.horsecolor.info/484TWO-SIZES-TOO-SMALL.jpg

DraytonWoods
11-03-2008, 12:09 PM
I'd like to thank the D-bag for giving our area another dose of awesome press. Grrr...

BearsnBugs
11-03-2008, 10:23 PM
I'd like to thank the D-bag for giving our area another dose of awesome press. Grrr...

Consider where she's from. Not a terribly big surprise. Can be a bit of a snooty, eccentric area.

muggyscugglemeyer
11-03-2008, 10:29 PM
As a totally unrelated aside, I've heard that if you write on someone's concrete driveway with shaving cream, every time it rains, you will be able to see what was written.

You get the same results with Vaseline. Not that I'd know first hand or anything...