PDA

View Full Version : WARNING! Trade Secrets Book scammers!

Chris Flint
01-27-2005, 10:59 AM
Well folks, I've caught yet ANOTHER peerson who is making and sellling illegal copies of my book, TRADE SECRETS III on eBay! :mad

BESIDES the fact that it's illegal and immoral - the poor buyers are not saving **any** money purchasing it after they pay the shipping! (Some of the unsuspecting bidders in the past have paid over $150.00 for an illegal copy! That's certainly NO 'deal"!) This is VERY frustrating for me because I sell these books, along with my other model-horse products FOR A LIVING! It certainly de-motivates me from wanting to continue to take the time to write and publish hobby instruction material in the future!

So - once and for all, FOR THE RECORD: The ONLY person you can purchase a *new* copy of TRADE SECRETS III from is me. I have them IN stock and they sell for $60.00 ppd. (OR $50.00 if you see me at a live show). There are NO other vendors who currently have these books in stock, and there won't be in the future. (The only ones who did are either sold out of copies OR we have bought back any copies they had remaining in inventory.)

A HUGE "Thank You" to the hobbyist who alerted me to the new scammer!!! This person had the INTEGRITY and MORAL CHARACTER to contact the seller of the "bootleg" book and return it, turn them into eBay and *then* contact me directly and purchase a legitimate copy. It's great people like THAT that renew and restore my faith in the majority of "model horse" people!!! God Bless you!

:cheer :cheer :cheer

THANK YOU to all of my other wonderful customers out there! I really appreciate you. :) Especially those of you who *do* take a stand for doing the right thing.

~ Chris.

SR Rachel
01-27-2005, 11:19 AM
I just wanted to ad Chris's book is great, I was lucky enough to win a copy of it back in '01? Man I can't remeber at a show in SD where she was kind enough to donate one to help out the show.

It is an awesome book, very helpful, and best of all buying one supports someone who has done alot of the hobby.

Chris Flint
01-27-2005, 11:47 AM
I just wanted to ad Chris's book is great, I was lucky enough to win a copy of it back in '01? Man I can't remeber at a show in SD where she was kind enough to donate one to help out the show.

It is an awesome book, very helpful, and best of all buying one supports someone who has done alot of the hobby.

Hey Rachel!

Congratulations on winning a copy of the book! :) I'm always glad to hear that someone who can really get some use out of it got to win a copy! Way to go!

~ Chris.

Beth B
01-27-2005, 12:46 PM
Chris, are you going to be at the Ozark Mountain Live Show in Springfield, MO again this year?

Anyways, I love your book and think you ROCK! The book has helped me with my painting skills.

I seriously recommend anyone who is starting off in repainting to get this book. It ROCKS with the information that is within it.

Beth

Chris Flint
01-27-2005, 12:59 PM
Chris, are you going to be at the Ozark Mountain Live Show in Springfield, MO again this year?

Anyways, I love your book and think you ROCK! The book has helped me with my painting skills.

I seriously recommend anyone who is starting off in repainting to get this book. It ROCKS with the information that is within it.

Beth

I Beth,

I kind of doubt I will be at Ozark this year. :sigh It's the same weekend as Lone Star Live, and LSL is MUCH closer to me.

Thanks for the kind words about the book! :) Like I said before, it's the GREAT customeers and people in the hobby that keep me going! :cheer

~ Chris.

JulieB
01-27-2005, 01:16 PM
I Beth,

I kind of doubt I will be at Ozark this year. :sigh It's the same weekend as Lone Star Live, and LSL is MUCH closer to me.

Thanks for the kind words about the book! :) Like I said before, it's the GREAT customeers and people in the hobby that keep me going! :cheer

~ Chris.

Awe, shucks! I really like seeing all your pretty ponies, Chris.

bluepony78
01-28-2005, 12:41 PM
I was just wondering....is this book pertaining to air brushing or hand painting? I mostly air brush, but can always use more reference materials....what shows do you go to(any in the Pa/Ohio?texas area?)
Jessie:neener
www.jscritters.com

webenative
01-28-2005, 03:48 PM
I bought a copy off ebay awhile back (last summer)It was supposed to be used.Is there any way to tell if it isn't orignal?I knowthe ebay id for the person is in my feed back I don't know which it is as it was a while ago and I can't bring up picks of old items.I am concerned as it is not ok for someone to do this.I buy a lot of things used ,but now I wonder if this makes it easier to steal your material that you have worked so hard on ?

Samantha
01-28-2005, 04:42 PM
I plan to buy your book someday, Chris!! Maybe as soon as I turn 18 and I start getting that monthly cheque my mom gets for my care.. *evilcackle*

Chris Flint
01-28-2005, 04:51 PM
I was just wondering....is this book pertaining to air brushing or hand painting? I mostly air brush, but can always use more reference materials....what shows do you go to(any in the Pa/Ohio?texas area?)
Jessie:neener
www.jscritters.com

Hi Jessie,

The book covers air brush and h and painting techniques. To get a whole list of all of the chapters and information, go to my web site at:
http://www.boshevo.com
and click on the link for "Trade Secrets".

I go to various live shows all over the country. You never know where I will show up! :eek:

~ Chris.

Chris Flint
01-28-2005, 05:25 PM
I bought a copy off ebay awhile back (last summer)It was supposed to be used.Is there any way to tell if it isn't orignal?I knowthe ebay id for the person is in my feed back I don't know which it is as it was a while ago and I can't bring up picks of old items.I am concerned as it is not ok for someone to do this.I buy a lot of things used ,but now I wonder if this makes it easier to steal your material that you have worked so hard on ?

That is an excellent question! You know, I meant to TELL people how to tell the difference before, but I was SO frustrated I forgot :upset

The easiest way to tell is that 2nd generation "copies" have VERY poor picture quality and very often the printed text is very poor quality as well. We embosss several pages in the book with a unique mark. (We started doing this about 4 years ago. The first group we had run did not have this feature.) I could go into all kinds of boring detail about the paper, suffice it to say that it's high quality - not cheap or thin. AND I autograph a LOT of them. The cover page is a completely different type and color of paper as well.

NEXT TIME I do a revision, it will have COLOR pictures in it and it will be bound in a more permanent type of binding. (I produced the book in a loose-leaf binder so that people who purchased the current version could just purchase an UPDATE instead of having to buy a new copy. But - thanks to the number of "crooks" out there who have seen fit to STEAL my work - I will not be able to do that now. :mad )

**Don't worry folks - it's going to be at least a couple YEARS before another revision comes out! And the information in TRADE SECRETS III will probably never become so obsolete that it would not be of value.**

I keep a database of all of my customers and everyone who has ever purchased the book. There are LESS than 5 people or businesses who ever purchased more than o ne copy each, so anyone who claims that they bought a number of copies would be very suspect! If you have any doubts or questions, feel free to ask me.

Thank you all SO MUCH for your support and understanding. You guys are WHY I bother to teach at all! :grouphug

~ Chris.

Dr. Bork Bork
01-28-2005, 05:55 PM
I bought my copy off of ebay. I hope it is not a contraband copy cuz I just discovered the painting aspects of it & have found it extremely useful! As a writer, I can understand how upset and discouraged you must be. I would feel the same if anyone ever stole my work.
How can I find out if it is a used copy (in great condition) or a verified copy?

webenative
01-28-2005, 08:38 PM
I still don't know whether mine is real or memerox.I think the pics are clear however,there isn't any embossing that I found.The cover page (page on front of the binder)is light grey construction paper type.What I liked about the loose ring binder style is that I put the pages in protective clear plastic sleeves.That wayI can use my book and not ruin it as I use it for a reference as I work.

Chris Flint
01-29-2005, 09:40 AM
How can I find out if it is a used copy (in great condition) or a verified copy?

Our posts must have crossed in cyber-space! I explained that in the post above yours. :)

~ Chris.

Chris Flint
01-29-2005, 09:50 AM
My Husband CALLED this latest scammer last night and confronted him about this situation. (By the way - his ebay ID is "serenetychimes".) He claimed that he DID NOT KNOW that you couldn't COPY something and sell it yourself! HELLO! :bs :bs :bs

He still claims that he found copies at some "garage sale" (the story has fluctuated from 3 to 10 copies) in Kansas. I know this is :bs because he practically lives across the street from a Kinkos! (I hand-delivered the copy he actually *bought* from me a couple of years ago because he claimed to be a diasbled Vet with no car and no way to pick it up. He said that he was on a very limited income and hoped to save the shipping costs, etc. So I delivered it to him. Just goes to show you that NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED!)

I looked up his past sales/current listings on eBay and almost EVERYTHING he is selling are COPIES of things. So this is someone who is (probably) a career counterfeiter! BEWARE!

~ Chris.

reggieqh
01-29-2005, 10:13 AM
I have you website "book marked" because I am waiting to buy one when I can fit it in my budget!

When it comes to DVD's & certain books I just stay away from buying on Ebay because as a whole I just don't trust the things people sell. & EVERYONE knows what you can & cannot sell they just chose to do it anyway. Like people who burn DVD's or take pictures of a movie & put it on magnets or T-shirts then sell them, there are copyrights & trademarks but it all still goes on.

Dr. Bork Bork
01-29-2005, 12:23 PM
From your description I think I have a counterfeit copy. All the pages are white, normal printer paper. Picture quality is b&w, but the text is clean. Is there anyway I could send it to you to be destroyed & get a verified copy? Or should I just keep it? I bought it off ebay last spring.

CementRoseStudios
01-29-2005, 05:21 PM
I looked up his past sales/current listings on eBay and almost EVERYTHING he is selling are COPIES of things. So this is someone who is (probably) a career counterfeiter! BEWARE!

Hey Chris, I am more than 100% sure you can report him to e-bay for this! It's a direct violation of their TOS! :D

Appy38
01-29-2005, 06:25 PM
Hi Chris
I was just wondering if this is spelled right ( serenetychimes ) I tried to look him up and this name was not a ebay user.

booker81
01-29-2005, 06:27 PM
try serenitychimes for completed auctions

earthmuffinn
01-30-2005, 08:54 AM
Yea! One more score for the model horse community! Let's get 'em guys :)

Chris Flint
01-30-2005, 12:10 PM
From your description I think I have a counterfeit copy. All the pages are white, normal printer paper. Picture quality is b&w, but the text is clean. Is there anyway I could send it to you to be destroyed & get a verified copy? Or should I just keep it? I bought it off ebay last spring.

It could be a legitimate copy. (Trust me - 2nd. generation copies are BAD!) So, unless you feel strongly that it's a bogus copy and can get your money back from who you got it from - I'd keep it. :crossedf:

~ Chris.

Chris Flint
01-30-2005, 12:12 PM
Hey Chris, I am more than 100% sure you can report him to e-bay for this! It's a direct violation of their TOS! :D

Oh believe me - it's been reported! :wink First by the lady who purchased the bogus copy and again by myself.

~ Chris.

reggieqh
01-30-2005, 01:55 PM
Oh believe me - it's been reported! :wink First by the lady who purchased the bogus copy and again by myself.

~ Chris.

I noticed all his auctions selling the rip off books are now "unavailable becuase the seller ended early because they are no longer available for sale"

webenative
01-30-2005, 02:10 PM
That is good news!

Beth B
01-30-2005, 04:12 PM
For he knows that he's selling counterfeit copies and all Chris has to do is file a police report since this guy did make money from his illegally copied copies of her book and sue him for the full amount of all the copies he did or tell him to send her them so she can burn them!
Hopefully, eBay will remove his butt from their site.

Beth