PDA

View Full Version : Making blab phone friendly...

jesterjigger
04-06-2009, 09:52 AM
Is there any way the posting feature could be changed to make it possible to start a new thread/reply to threads from a cell phone? When I try, it doesn't allow me to type anything, but another board I post on that uses the same code allows me to start a new thread. The big problem is the main text box of the message, a cursor won't appear at all. My board where it does work doesn't require you to click the quick reply button to respond, you can just start typing in the text box. I can post new messages and responses there.

Uptonia
04-06-2009, 10:49 AM
It works for me. I check & post with my iphone all the time.

Mary
04-06-2009, 10:54 AM
I've been able to do this from a Blackberry through an enabled web browser. It take some practice to become adept at the navigation and box-clicking. What kind of phone are you using (I assume you are using a web browser on your phone?)

bronzino
04-09-2009, 10:41 PM
I use a Blackberry "style" phone - a Motorola Q (I think) with Windows Mobile as the browser. It's several years old and I can reply to Blab threads on it without any problem. Not so with phpBB message boards - I can read but I can't respond. So I have the opposite problem that you have.

There is a "cell friendly (http://www.modelhorseblab.com/forums/archive/)" version of Blab that makes reading the board much easier from a PDA - it consists entirely of simple links, which most PDAs can handle (trouble comes up with buttons and/or tabbing past certain text fields). My guess is that the developers of our message board software will enable a reply feature for this version, in future upgrades. Until they do, there's prolly no foolproof way to make a website with heavy graphic elements work seamlessly for every PDA.

FTR, the "Quick Reply" button strikes me as bizarre. You should be able to just scroll down to the "Quick Reply" text area and start typing, just as we were able to do in previous versions of the software. When that button was first imposed on us, I wondered what genius decided we needed a BUTTON DEPRESS as a condition precedent to completing that task. :lol

My guess is that the "quick reply button" is used to support the "threaded" and "hybrid" mode options for viewing threads (these options allow you to see who is replying to a *specific* post, as opposed to just displaying one post after the other), but nobody uses anything but standard mode, AFAIK. So we're all pressing buttons for little purpose.

jasper978
04-11-2009, 08:06 PM
The phone she is using is the HTC Touch Pro, it has full IE functionality. What she was referring to making accessible and working is the Quick Reply feature where you can just click in the box to enter your response versus hitting "reply." THis is the box at the bottom of every thread, it is enabled on the other boards that she visits using the same program as Blab.

THe Quick reply feature doesn't work on any of the three pc's that I use either, so I know it's not just her phone.

bronzino
04-11-2009, 08:27 PM
I think we understand that. My phone has what is supposed to be "full IE functionality" too, but it doesn't talk to all message boards and all websites nicely - none of the PDAs do, IME. There is nothing in our administrator options that allows us to turn on or off any setting relating to Quick Reply, AFAIK. The only question mark is that she says "another board I post on that uses the same code allows me to start a new thread." So we'd have to know what board that was, and then investigate from there.