PDA

View Full Version : Bumping of *VERY* old threads

Stacy
05-27-2009, 08:42 PM
I've noticed lately a lot of very old threads (A year or older) being bumped and posted to with little or no substance. Is there anything that can be done about this? Could there be something posted in the FAQ about it?

Its very annoying to read threads that seem new upon first glance that are actually quite old and dated. I understand that there are legitimate reasons to bump old threads, but I often see them resurrected for no reason other than a one word response that adds little to the original conversation.

Thanks!

Mary
05-27-2009, 10:57 PM
I'm inclined to agree, Stacy. Threads eventually become dated, imo. I wonder if finding these old subjects is done because people are asked to first search for an existing thread, before opening a new one on the same subject.

When searching for topic discussions it's possible to use a search filter to restrict findings to within a year or less (or more of course.)

Adding some FAQ guidance is certainly a possibility. Otherwise I don't know of an automated way to influence people posting to very old threads. :)

hi_d_hi
05-27-2009, 11:03 PM
It could be people have too much time on their hands, and need to have something else that they can talk about, or up their post count.

It's definitely annoying to find something in my subscribed threads, go check it out and find out it's a year old or older.

It's not like it hurts anything, but what's the point?

Mel Miller
05-27-2009, 11:14 PM
Some forums automatically lock threads older than x date, be it a year or a few months, depending on their needs. Might be something to look into if it's available for the Blab software. Necromancing is annoying!

Melissa
05-27-2009, 11:20 PM
I wonder if it's because when these threads are bumped the poster doesn't know that the thread is older. I think it's important to search on threads before starting new ones, particularly if you have a question about something such as what breed is good for the original Strapless or what color a certain horse is...

What if threads auto-locked after a certain period? (edit: posted at the same time)

champlain
05-28-2009, 08:18 AM
What I'm noticed about the "bumping of old threads" is that it is usually done by a new member who more than likely is young. Perhaps what we can do when we notice this is report the post, have management contact the person and explain why it is not a good idea to do this. Or just contact the poster and explain. Personally, I think they just want to up their post count so they don't look like newbies. Maybe Blab needs some kind of mentor system. I know it's been mentioned before. :)

bronzino
05-28-2009, 09:10 AM
I wonder if it's because when these threads are bumped the poster doesn't know that the thread is older.

I think that's what's happening. If people see this, please PM me and I'll ask the person to check the dates before bumping. Also, I'll actively discourage people from bumping threads that are not their own. Usually a legit bump is undertaken by the OP.

bronzino
05-28-2009, 09:31 AM
Personally, I think they just want to up their post count so they don't look like newbies. Maybe Blab needs some kind of mentor system. I know it's been mentioned before. :)

And/or people can just post in the thread and say "you know this thread is kind of old and stale, you might want to find a newer one to comment on. :)" There's no reason a mod or an assigned mentor has to be the one giving guidance to a new member, you know what I mean? If the advice is polite and gentle, you really can't go wrong.

WindMillSongRanch
05-28-2009, 09:33 AM
I just about replied to a thread, until I realized the last poster (not the "bumper") said something about it being old, :lol

ModelHorseHubby
05-28-2009, 10:27 AM
Such is one of the facets of being a member of an active forum. Thread necromancy is going to happen, and there is only one way to prevent it. Lock threads after they go so long without being active. A way to limit such activity without resorting to lock-down is instating a minimum word count for a post, so that one or two words posts are denied for being too short.

You can put it all over the FAQ, but let's be honest, how many people actually read those? It could be plastered all over the thing and if someone is wanting to pump their post count (why?) it won't stop them.

cheseri
05-28-2009, 10:53 AM
What I'm noticed about the "bumping of old threads" is that it is usually done by a new member who more than likely is young. Perhaps what we can do when we notice this is report the post, have management contact the person and explain why it is not a good idea to do this. Or just contact the poster and explain. Personally, I think they just want to up their post count so they don't look like newbies. Maybe Blab needs some kind of mentor system. I know it's been mentioned before. :)

I really think something needs to be done to ease some newer members (especially the younger ones) in a bit smoother too. Right now the constant bumping of the same sales ads (there was one that's been bumped once a day for 5 days), and the tons of new threads with no real purpose is starting to get old. I realize it's an open forum and the point is to enjoy ourselves, not worry about what is a worthy post or not, but geez. Some of what's getting posted is really :rolleyes

PolarVrtX
05-28-2009, 11:06 AM
:lol Some of us apparently aren't smart enough to realize it's an old thread that's been bumped. I posted in two of them :grin

I don't see a problem if it's an interesting thread (in today's cases, I obviously missed them the first time around!). Sometimes when I'm searching for some information I'd be interested to bump an old discussion to get new opinions when I'm not the OP. But, maybe people prefer I just open a new one? Then you get snarky replies that you should have just searched for older discussions :dunno Maybe I'd still like to know more or I wasn't satisfied with a previous answer?

Bumping a thread from a year+ on a topic like an artist looking for suggestions is probably a waste of time, though :lol

Blab is so active, though, that if a thread is not interesting or useful (and this goes for new topics too) it will very soon disappear off the latest posts when nobody else replies. It doesn't really bother me.

WindMillSongRanch
05-28-2009, 11:10 AM
:lol Some of us apparently aren't smart enough to realize it's an old thread that's been bumped. I posted in two of them :grin

I don't see a problem if it's an interesting thread (in today's cases, I obviously missed them the first time around!). Sometimes when I'm searching for some information I'd be interested to bump an old discussion to get new opinions when I'm not the OP. But, maybe people prefer I just open a new one? Then you get snarky replies that you should have just searched for older discussions :dunno Maybe I'd still like to know more or I wasn't satisfied with a previous answer?

Bumping a thread from a year+ on a topic like an artist looking for suggestions is probably a waste of time, though :lol

Blab is so active, though, that if a thread is not interesting or useful (and this goes for new topics too) it will very soon disappear off the latest posts when nobody else replies. It doesn't really bother me.

Don't feel bad, I just about did, until I read your post/comment :haha :hugg

indefinitely_jaded
05-28-2009, 12:18 PM
I don't see a problem if it's an interesting thread (in today's cases, I obviously missed them the first time around!). Sometimes when I'm searching for some information I'd be interested to bump an old discussion to get new opinions when I'm not the OP. But, maybe people prefer I just open a new one? Then you get snarky replies that you should have just searched for older discussions. :dunno Maybe I'd still like to know more or I wasn't satisfied with a previous answer?

I don't think it's so much the issue of old threads being bumped when someone has something relative to add to the (old) discussion, or another question about it - I think it's more an issue of old threads being bumped with a one- or two-word response that doesn't add to it in any way, or with a response/question already addressed in the thread.

(All of which Stacy said in her OP here. :))

I think having threads auto-lock after a certain time period would be a great way to help prevent this from happening. People can still search for those old discussions, and if they have a question (or comment) related to a locked thread, they could always link to it in a new post. Of course, that's if that can be done, from a software standpoint.

Kristina
05-28-2009, 12:27 PM
Often times, someone votes on an OLD poll and that's what bumps a thread up. I recently posted in an older thread to ask about breeds, but I thought it would be better to do that than start a new thread on the exact same subject.

Yoda
05-28-2009, 12:48 PM
What is the big deal? I don't get it.

People post all the time with no substance in new and old threads. You can't regulate that.

If a post/thread doesn't interest you scroll past it and ignore it.

Not talking to any particular person but if this is the biggest problem you have in life consider yourself very lucky.

DraytonWoods
05-28-2009, 12:53 PM
The sales post bumpings are sort of different than general bumping to me. I can see bumping once a week or so, but come on. You don't need to do it 25x a week. Blimey.

As for the other I don't see it as something that needs to be legislated so to speak-- I also wasn't sure that a couple were older at first :lol but really, why not just self-regulate and post to the person that this is old, etc. and let it go.

Paintgurl07
05-28-2009, 05:14 PM
I've seen a lot of people that post a thread and are then told by others that there is already a thread on that from awhile back that they have to search for. I'm fine with old threads being brought back, to each their own.

muggyscugglemeyer
05-28-2009, 05:42 PM
I've seen a lot of people that post a thread and are then told by others that there is already a thread on that from awhile back that they have to search for.

:yeahthat If you can't start your own thread on an old topic, and you can't post a comment (not the innane kind) in an old thread, what's a noobie to doobie?

Erin
05-28-2009, 05:50 PM
Yeah, it seems like a 'darned if you do, darned if you don't' situation. I'd rather deal with the bumping of really old threads than an influx of new "we already discussed that" threads.

Besides - it's the internet, there will always be people posting things you don't care about, but it's really not that much trouble to just not click it, right?

Yoda
05-28-2009, 06:08 PM
:yeahthat If you can't start your own thread on an old topic, and you can't post a comment (not the innane kind) in an old thread, what's a noobie to doobie?

:roflmao

This thread is amazing me. Yes we must hurry and stop the posts that bore us. Let's target the young and intimidate them.

I have read some of the really really old threads looking for topics that were interesting (to me) and made posts a few times. So what.

Disclaimer: I am under the influence of prescription medicine so I apologize if my post bores you - just keep scrolling down. :diggin

Psychadellic_Hippy_Horse
05-28-2009, 07:03 PM
Disclaimer: I am under the influence of prescription medicine so I apologize if my post bores you - just keep scrolling down. :diggin
:haha

Melissa
05-28-2009, 08:46 PM
I think the thread bumping issue vs. new threads really depends on the topic. If there are 30 threads on how to make dapples, why start a new one when you can look through the archives and find everything you need. On the other hand, if you have a specific question about how to place dapples, it makes more sense to start a new one.

Bumped threads really only irratate me if the thread was very heated, and the bumper only adds :yeahthat

Kristi Hale
05-28-2009, 09:16 PM
Thread necromancy
You, sir, win one free Internet. :clap

bronzino
05-28-2009, 09:26 PM
Bumped threads really only irratate me if the thread was very heated, and the bumper only adds "yeah that" <snip>

Same, and even then, it's less an issue of irritation than just wondering why the person bothered. And I suppose there's an undesirable effect that eventually cures a person of this, if she's prone to doing it forever: no one pays attention to what you have to say, because you've got a stellar record of saying basically nothing. :lol

Two Fishies
05-28-2009, 09:28 PM
Bumped threads really only irratate me if the thread was very heated, and the bumper only adds :yeahthat
:yeahthat

Kidding. On the things-that-annoy-me-about-newbies scale from one to ten, this is like a 0.3, but mostly because I don't want to have to re-read 60+ pages to remind myself what's been said.

But it doesn't bug me enough to request change. It's almost June and school is getting out all across the country. If last year was any indication, we'll have much worse to worry about in short order.

Yoda
05-28-2009, 09:35 PM
no one pays attention to what you have to say

Huh?

Did you say something? :stickpoke

JK You know I love you.

bronzino
05-28-2009, 09:44 PM
Huh?

Did you say something? :stickpoke

JK You know I love you.

LOL. But it's no joke I s'pose, to say that learning to scroll past the uninspiring stuff is a required talent on Blab.

The daily bumping of sales threads is a different issue, IMO. That's just a way to misuse the "New Posts" feature, and frankly, with people paying to subscribe, I don't like the idea of others spamming the subforum pages (and I suspect Mary would agree). If people are doing that, please tell me so and I'll send a gentle PM asking the individual to chill.

Melissa
05-28-2009, 09:55 PM
:yeahthat

Kidding. On the things-that-annoy-me-about-newbies scale from one to ten, this is like a 0.3, but mostly because I don't want to have to re-read 60+ pages to remind myself what's been said.

But it doesn't bug me enough to request change. It's almost June and school is getting out all across the country. If last year was any indication, we'll have much worse to worry about in short order.

I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to flog you :whip :deadhorse. I love newbies, they are most often eager to learn. What is blab had newbie forum that was only open to people who were members less than a week and mentors? They would be confined to that forum for a few days, in that time they can ask any question their heart desires

cheseri
05-28-2009, 10:18 PM
Honestly I think the mentoring idea has more merit than any official restrictions. Some newbies don't need it at all. They've been on forums before, or are mature enough to know what's generally acceptable and learn quickly. Others... not so much :uh. There have been numerous times that I've wanted to pm a newbie just to let them know how irritating something is, but have held back only because I felt like it wasn't my place and I'm afraid of being thought of as 'harassing' the person and getting myself into trouble.
If instead I was in charge of keeping track of a few newbies, I'd feel much more confidant and comfortable in contacting them privately. They'd also know who to ask questions before making a post possibly instead of learning in a trial by error fashion. Lastly, they'd be less likely to feel attacked by the unknown, if their 'mentor' was introduced to them beforehand and starts the relationship out on a positive note.

The program doesn't have to be something really structural, and doesn't even need any fancy tech restrictions. Just some mentors willing to check up on the posts of their assigned newbies at least a couple times a week as they visit blab on their own. You can do that now just by clicking on the "find more posts by..." in the menu bar. The only thing the management team would have to do is send an email to each new member introducing the mentor and mentee (which could be saved as a standard doc, just inserting new names), and to keep a list of potential mentors, so they know who to send it to each time. I bet ya if we started something like this, that we'd actually have a lot more mentors volunteering than newbies. Heck, I don't mind taking on a couple. I'm certainly on here enough :grin.

bronzino
05-28-2009, 10:20 PM
I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to flog you :whip :deadhorse. I love newbies, they are most often eager to learn. What is blab had newbie forum that was only open to people who were members less than a week and mentors? They would be confined to that forum for a few days, in that time they can ask any question their heart desires

Remember we had a spate last year or the year before where we had new unpaid members insisting they should have free access to paid forums, even after being told that was non-negotiable? We had some other newbie doings that were played out in TTB and resulted in someone getting bounced, if memory serves. I think that's the subset of newbies Laura's referring to. Some folks are eager to learn, and some folks are eager to tell the entire community what we're doing wrong. :lol

As for general "etiquette" type stuff, we've got Blab Tech and Beginners for newbie-type questions. IME, those don't get used aggressively. It's not because people don't know what they are, but because the new users are eager to skip past all the intro material and start posting with the rest of the gang. People join because they want to talk, and their eagerness to do so generally supersedes their desire to learn context.

Guess what I'm saying is, I don't think it will get used anymore than any of the other "beginner appropriate" forums already are. Separate and apart from that issue, we'd need people to monitor it somehow. If you have ideas on addressing these issues, float 'em plz. :)

Two Fishies
05-28-2009, 10:23 PM
I think probation periods are worth a trial like in your suggestion or limiting the ability to create new threads for a short period, but not because newbies annoy me in general. I love newbies, the more the merrier! :grouphug Most newbies join and I don't notice they're new because the blend in quickly.

My concern is that small percentage that seem to pop up around the summer and then overreact to polite guidance from established members. Nobody wins in those situations. Not the established members, not the newbies.

ETA: What Liz said. My life is so much easier with mind-reading blabbers. :hugg

Melissa
05-28-2009, 10:40 PM
I'm going to reply to both posts here:

There would be a seperate board, much like the Youth forum (btw, we have more fun there than the WOYM board could possibly have;)) Instead of having the regular forums open, there would have to be admin permission to access them. The newbies would be able to view other threads, but wouldn't be able to post.

In the meantime there would be an established member (+2,000 posts or so) who would answer any and all questions, or direct them to someone who could answer them.

bronzino
05-28-2009, 10:46 PM
Most newbies join and I don't notice they're new because the blend in quickly.

This is very true. Look at how many new people show up in the Intro forum, and proceed to have pretty much zero difficulty. That's the majority. The people who seem to have the most difficulty are people who are not seasoned in the use of BBs or listservs, or who are very young. It also helps if someone is schooled in the hobby, because it doesn't take long then to figure out who belongs to what handle, and thusly to hook up with friends who can kind of steer you to productive posting habits.

bronzino
05-28-2009, 10:50 PM
I'm going to reply to both posts here:

There would be a seperate board, much like the Youth forum (btw, we have more fun there than the WOYM board could possibly have;)) Instead of having the regular forums open, there would have to be admin permission to access them. The newbies would be able to view other threads, but wouldn't be able to post.

In the meantime there would be an established member (+2,000 posts or so) who would answer any and all questions, or direct them to someone who could answer them.

I'm happy to take this up with management. Will people who don't need this service be turned off to Blab though? That is, the majority don't need it. If we force them to wait to post, they may well wander off and not visit again. Statistically, if you wean yourself away from the hobby or Blab generally, you probably won't come back. Not for a few years.

cheseri
05-28-2009, 11:09 PM
I don't think placing restrictions is the way to go. I think mentors is by far a better plan, much more flexible as the needs of each person are different and no need for new tech stuff. Most of the new people don't need this and would be turned off by it. It also would set us up for a lot of negative attention if the "release" of a newbie wasn't on the same schedule as everyone else, no matter if they were ready or not.

No, hard limits are too controversial, and not a good impression to the new people we want to include.

Oh Say
05-28-2009, 11:15 PM
I'm happy to take this up with management. Will people who don't need this service be turned off to Blab though? That is, the majority don't need it. If we force them to wait to post, they may well wander off and not visit again. Statistically, if you wean yourself away from the hobby or Blab generally, you probably won't come back. Not for a few years.
bronzino,

I can assure you, from personal experience, this does happen a lot more than most people would like to believe. I've seen other boards with post or time restrictions basically choke themselves off because they hamper the free-flow of new opinions. IME, message boards and blogs with user comments are largely transient anyway and things like this only hasten departure of the casual observer. It doesn't take long for a message board to pare itself down to a vocal minority. When you put things like post or time restrictions in place, it makes it easier for dominate groups to form which makes it that much more intimidating for a new person. I've seen more than one blog or message board limit who can participate in discussions for one reason or another and it really doesn't take long for it to dwindle down to a handful of people talking to themselves more than each other. Casual readers (those who post less than 10 times a week) will depart faster than most new people will meet any arbitrary restriction. It's kind of like webpages with a ton of stuff on it that needs to download. The more difficult you make it for someone to cruise your site, the more likely they are going to decide it's not worth the effort and go somewhere else.

bronzino
05-28-2009, 11:20 PM
I don't think placing restrictions is the way to go. I think mentors is by far a better plan, much more flexible as the needs of each person are different and no need for new tech stuff. Most of the new people don't need this and would be turned off by it. It also would set us up for a lot of negative attention if the "release" of a newbie wasn't on the same schedule as everyone else, no matter if they were ready or not.

No, hard limits are too controversial, and not a good impression to the new people we want to include.

Understood. The problem I foresee with what you're proposing is that the mods have to orchestrate it. I don't have time to assign new members to specific mentors nor do I have time to make sure the mentors are actually doing their jobs - I doubt I'm alone in that. What would be better would be for a group of approved people to just monitor the introductions forum and offer themselves up as mentors ("I've got this one! Please write me with questions about Blab..."). We're not involved except to make sure the mentor type isn't someone who is totally inexperienced, or a person who is in enough disputes with other members that she has no business mentoring someone else, at this stage in her posting development. :lol

I'd even be more excited about that idea if the mentors were willing to put something standard in their sigs or avatars that identified them as mentors. It would make it easier for newbies to identify them as good targets for PMs.

Yoda
05-29-2009, 03:20 AM
Well I must say it is so nice to see a thread start out so whiny but it has progressed to ideas to solve problems. I am getting a little bit lost though because there are several different issues being discussed at the same time.

Too tired to elaborate on what I thought were constructive ideas so maybe some sleep will clear the haze.

Yoda out.

Shahbazin
05-29-2009, 11:11 AM
FWIW, I don't mind "old" threads being resurrected (I love the phrase "thread necromancy" though!); I'm rather new here myself :tiphat , & often there's something interesting there that I missed the 1st time around, since I wasn't here yet. And hey, if it's not interesting, not all the new threads are interesting either :lol and one can always just move on to something else!

Some boards use "Ambassadors" which are sort of extra volunteer moderators, who help with the traffic on a specific section of board; it's listed next to their avatar, & they can talk to people in that section who need advice. Anyhow, another possible way to insure a board runs smoothly!

lonesomeglorylover
05-29-2009, 06:01 PM
Why start a WHOLE new thread for a topic thats already brought up? Even though you could just visit an old one? It would still be the same disscusion. So why not reply to one already made? Being a simple post or a whole new waste of space thread! I agree with Yoda, Treat old ones like ones that dont look interesting. Its not that big of a deal, you click it and say "oh I'v read this" and leave it. If I started new Threads it would still be the same thing- just in a a thread not a post.

muggyscugglemeyer
05-29-2009, 08:05 PM
I am not often irritated by things I have complete control over. No one is beside me with a gun in my ear forcing me to log onto my computer and trot over to Blab.

If there's a post or thread I want to respond to, I respond. If not, I don't. Clicking on another thread or going off to look at ebay or MH$P is so ridiculously easy, a trained chimp could manage it.

Nightmare
05-30-2009, 03:26 AM
I am not often irritated by things I have complete control over. No one is beside me with a gun in my ear forcing me to log onto my computer and trot over to Blab.

If there's a post or thread I want to respond to, I respond. If not, I don't. Clicking on another thread or going off to look at ebay or MH$P is so ridiculously easy, a trained chimp could manage it.

My idea exactly. Read it or don't read it, respond to it or don't respond to it. Easy peesy, Parcheesi. It seems a non issue to wad ones panties over.

bronzino
05-30-2009, 09:10 AM
My idea exactly. Read it or don't read it, respond to it or don't respond to it. Easy peesy, Parcheesi. It seems a non issue to wad ones panties over.

Yeah, on this one, I'm reasonably persuaded that it's not an issue. Altho it would be nice if people said something, because being new to a couple of online communities myself, I know I would appreciate being told if I'm inadvertently doing something contrary to the custom.

I would like to follow up on the "easing new people into Blab" thought though. Oh Say's comments persuade me that Melissa P's idea probably won't work. I like a modified version of Lauren's idea. The easiest way to implement it, though, is super-informal. Just tell people when they're doing something contrary to the custom. Say so nicely. Not that hard, I think. :)

Yoda
05-30-2009, 10:08 AM
Yeah, on this one, I'm reasonably persuaded that it's not an issue. Altho it would be nice if people said something, because being new to a couple of online communities myself, I know I would appreciate being told if I'm inadvertently doing something contrary to the custom.

I would like to follow up on the "easing new people into Blab" thought though. Oh Say's comments persuade me that Melissa P's idea probably won't work. I like a modified version of Lauren's idea. The easiest way to implement it, though, is super-informal. Just tell people when they're doing something contrary to the custom. Say so nicely. Not that hard, I think. :)

Yes, yes, yes. Well stated and I totally agree.

Some newbies have never been to internet communities it seems and sometimes don't know how to navigate let alone fit in with "desirable" behavior. I have responded to quite a few posts from some newbies who were clearly lost and asked very basic questions obvious to those of us with experience but if you don't know, you don't know. A couple tested my patience because they seemed young and spastic as young folk sometimes are but I like kids so I just kept responding until they finally got it.

The learning curve for somebody with little experience can be steep at first and polite correction is appropriate and necessary. But I can tell you for a fact that this thread has intimidated some of our young because I got a burst of reps and PMs when I posted in support of our young. One newbie told me she was scared and afraid to post now. That saddened me because that is not the sort of community that I want.

As for posts with no substance - well it seemed to work for Seinfield in his show about nothing. :)

Melissa
05-30-2009, 12:40 PM
Erg, Blab ate my post. But basically I said that I was really sorry if I upset anyone, and that most blabbers are happy to help. Just shoot of a PM with a request for a minute of their time, ask the question, and then a nice thank you. That came off a bit short, I apologize for that too. I was just told my theatre program was cancelled :grump, 'nother thread for another time.

I made a little button though. It's not much, but it could help identify official helpers. It's kind of intimidating to PM someone you don't know. BTW, you do this by clicking on someone's username and then selecting "Private Message" :).

Yoda
05-30-2009, 01:12 PM
Erg, Blab ate my post. But basically I said that I was really sorry if I upset anyone, and that most blabbers are happy to help. Just shoot of a PM with a request for a minute of their time, ask the question, and then a nice thank you. That came off a bit short, I apologize for that too. I was just told my theatre program was cancelled :grump, 'nother thread for another time.

I made a little button though. It's not much, but it could help identify official helpers. It's kind of intimidating to PM someone you don't know. BTW, you do this by clicking on someone's username and then selecting "Private Message" :).

Maudie, I love your image. What a great idea. The only thing I would add is "NEW?" to the top of the image as it is targeting newbie simple questions not the really hard stuff.

Mary
05-31-2009, 08:49 AM
Just a quick note to all that while I haven't posted in this discussion, I'm following with great interest the newbie-help suggestions. More later !!! :grin

In the meantime do carry on ... :talk
:)

Sweet Defense
06-01-2009, 08:45 PM
Why start a WHOLE new thread for a topic thats already brought up? Even though you could just visit an old one? It would still be the same disscusion. So why not reply to one already made? Being a simple post or a whole new waste of space thread! I agree with Yoda, Treat old ones like ones that dont look interesting. Its not that big of a deal, you click it and say "oh I'v read this" and leave it. If I started new Threads it would still be the same thing- just in a a thread not a post.

Usually it doesn't bother me if an old thread is brought up, but there's no real reason to respond unless you're adding something new. Saying something is great/wonderful, etc, or that you agree isn't really something that to me makes resurrecting an old thread worthwhile. That's really where using the PM function or reputation function comes in - if you're just saying you like something in an old thread, hit that reputation button but let the thread lie dead.

On the other hand, if you legitimately have something to add, especially a question - like you unearth a tutorial but don't quite understand the instructions or want to add something, then I have no problems with anyone posting on an old thread, or if you find proof of that elusive dun Akhal-Teke, by all means post either a new thread or add onto an old one. However, adding, for example, "oh what a pretty horse" on thread from 2007 is likely unnecessary - just rep the person or PM them. Doesn't mean you can't read the thread and enjoy it, though.

hi_d_hi
06-01-2009, 09:38 PM
However, adding, for example, "oh what a pretty horse" on thread from 2007 is likely unnecessary - just rep the person or PM them.

Yeah, that's what I think. It's pointless unless your actually adding something of value.