PDA

View Full Version : Policy change - rules the same, consequences changed

Mary
06-03-2009, 10:35 AM
A very few members are forcing a policy change that is necessary to keep Blab open to more expression of opinion and controversial discussion. Because if this change is not made then apparently Blab becomes merely an exchange of insults by a very few members in one thread after another, with most members choosing not to participate.

The rules are the same. The Blab principal of open expression of opinions is the same. The consequences of disregarding the rules must be changed, as otherwise mods are not able to keep opinionated threads available to members.

- Opinions and controversy are welcome on Blab
- Personal remarks and insults, sniping and baiting are not tolerated on Blab

In the past several months threads that start as the first end with the second. When the personal exchanges and tit-for-tatting starts, many other members begin leaving the thread, loosing the opportunity to continue a substantive discussion.

When a mod asks publicly and privately for the personal exchanges to end, in some cases they have - but in others they haven't. So far the only way to end the bickering is to close the thread. But that takes the thread away from the majority of members who are not behaving in this way.

There's another way to end the bickering of a few and save the thread, leaving it clear for opinions and discussion by everyone else.

Infraction with no points = a warning (is not required before issuing an infraction with points)
Infractions with points - most will have one point, but mods have the discretion to issue more:
One point total from all infractions = strong warning of the consequences of incurring more infractions
Two points total from all infractions = immediate 1 week suspension from Blab
Three points total from all infractions = indefinite suspension from Blab, length to be decided on a case-by-case basis

Instead of locking threads we will be removing those few members who drag the threads down into insults and personal bickering, so the thread can remain available for everyone else.

Since most infractions are 1 point, in most cases this means the second infraction is an immediate 1 week suspension. The third is suspension for any time period up to forever. Egregious behavior can result in immediate suspension based on the number of points issued for one infraction, added to cumulative infractions. Infraction points live for 1 year. Management reserves the right to extend them for longer if they are continuing to be incurred by an individual member.

I have not staffed Blab with enough mods to nanny members who are not able to follow the rules and conduct themselves with respect for the other members and the mods. Who drag down threads into personal bickerfests that other members don't want to participate in, who repeatedly challenge the rules. Blab has never provided nanny service.

The great majority of members won't fall afoul of this policy change, since it is only the choices of a very few that have made it necessary.

With such an abundance of intelligent, mature, articulate members, there is no need for constant monitoring to be sure everyone is behaving. Blabbers have never wanted this. Instead, the very small number of people who do not follow rules and mod direction will have a cooling off period. This will leave the great majority of members free to continue offering their opinions and discussions. :)

You are welcome to discuss this change here. :) :talk

Vicky Norris
06-03-2009, 10:49 AM
I think it is a good change. I have been one of the ones that have quit reading a thread because the bickering had just disintegrated what the thread is about.

I have, in one thread, asked that other members discontinue the insults to those of us that like and buy Stone models...i.e. the "cash cow' comment. I hope that wasn't an infraction, please let me know if it was so that I will not do it again.

Mary
06-03-2009, 11:00 AM
I think it is a good change. I have been one of the ones that have quit reading a thread because the bickering had just disintegrated what the thread is about.

I have, in one thread, asked that other members discontinue the insults to those of us that like and buy Stone models...i.e. the "cash cow' comment. I hope that wasn't an infraction, please let me know if it was so that I will not do it again.As of right now, anyone who hasn't heard from us is in the clear. :grin

Everyone - You can absolutely have opinions and controversial opinions on Blab! Blab WANTS that! :yes :rays

MOST MEMBERS won't be affected! Cuz you aren't the ones who ever needed those consequences. :one