PDA

View Full Version : Region forums.

LHunsinger
06-09-2009, 04:22 PM
Maybe a forum for each region?

Erin
06-09-2009, 04:25 PM
This is just my opinion, but I feel like the regional yahoo groups serve this purpose already. Blab, to me, is a place where everybody can come together regardless of region!

JMO though!

LHunsinger
06-09-2009, 05:22 PM
I agree with you but I think a regional forum would be nice. You can get a little more personal and check what's going on in other regions. Personally, I don't belong to other region's yahoo groups, just my own. It would be nice if you are going to visit another region you can just post a note instead of going through joining the yahoo group.

Just a thought :rays

cheseri
06-09-2009, 05:27 PM
Every year or two we seem to have a few "region roll call" threads for people to see who else is on here from their region. Most anything important going on is open to everyone :). If you're interested in other regions, definately join their yahoo groups. I belong to 5 or 6 I think :lol

Intothesunstudio
06-10-2009, 07:14 AM
This is just my opinion, but I feel like the regional yahoo groups serve this purpose already. Blab, to me, is a place where everybody can come together regardless of region!

JMO though!

:yeahthat I agree completely with Erin!

jasper978
06-11-2009, 10:21 PM
I would also be in favor of a regional forum. I was told that the NAMHSA page is to take place of that here (when I suggested this idea few months back).

I am a member of 4 regional yahoo groups (other than my own), and I've noticed that the large majority of them are pretty dead, and they rarely get the attention that they used to. Heck there are several people in my own region that i know of who have gone no mail on the yahoo groups. So unless you emailed or called directly, you wouldn't be able to get your messages across. I do admit that if there is a vote or large show coming up soon that there will be a bit of noise.

Also, by "Blabbing," you just connect more with people. It's not nearly as formal as the yahoo groups are since most people have a general feel of the board and know it's laid back in comparison.

wobbler_kitty
06-12-2009, 01:55 PM
Linking for reference for those that didn't see this. :)
http://www.modelhorseblab.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84862

Personally, my Region's Yahoo group is pretty active and a lot of people in Region X aren't here on Blab. So the few threads that pop up for Region X'ers/Blabbers are sufficient for my area.

I do wonder if the less active Regions would in turn (eventually) be barely active here as well?

I'll post to Mgmt for feedback.

Misty
06-12-2009, 05:21 PM
I would also be in favor of a regional forum. I was told that the NAMHSA page is to take place of that here (when I suggested this idea few months back).

I am a member of 4 regional yahoo groups (other than my own), and I've noticed that the large majority of them are pretty dead, and they rarely get the attention that they used to. Heck there are several people in my own region that i know of who have gone no mail on the yahoo groups. So unless you emailed or called directly, you wouldn't be able to get your messages across. I do admit that if there is a vote or large show coming up soon that there will be a bit of noise.

Also, by "Blabbing," you just connect more with people. It's not nearly as formal as the yahoo groups are since most people have a general feel of the board and know it's laid back in comparison. :agreed I'm no mail on my region groups.

bronzino
06-14-2009, 08:12 AM
I don't have a philosophical disagreement with this, just a practical one.

My belief is that these forums will get started, we'll have a few threads here and there, and then they'll cease to be used. The Yahoogroups are, in most cases, dead for a reason: unless there's an event about to happen, people just don't have that much to say to each other. The fact that we're close geographically doesn't necessarily give us that much more to talk about. Blab succeeds where these groups don't because of the fact that it's not locality-based - when you have a discussion open to the entire world, you're much more likely to find someone to talk to you.

What I suggested last time is that folks start Regional threads in the NAMHSA Room forum. We'll tolerate bumping to keep them up top, and if the participation is appropriate, we'll also sticky to help keep them up top. If the participation in those threads is sufficient, we'll consider regional subforums. Subdividing only makes sense if the activity is there; if it isn't, it just makes it harder for people to find stuff, because they're having to drill down several layers of forums to find what they need.

WileyT
06-14-2009, 10:42 AM
I don't have a philosophical disagreement with this, just a practical one.

My belief is that these forums will get started, we'll have a few threads here and there, and then they'll cease to be used. The Yahoogroups are, in most cases, dead for a reason: unless there's an event about to happen, people just don't have that much to say to each other. The fact that we're close geographically doesn't necessarily give us that much more to talk about. Blab succeeds where these groups don't because of the fact that it's not locality-based - when you have a discussion open to the entire world, you're much more likely to find someone to talk to you.

What I suggested last time is that folks start Regional threads in the NAMHSA Room forum. We'll tolerate bumping to keep them up top, and if the participation is appropriate, we'll also sticky to help keep them up top. If the participation in those threads is sufficient, we'll consider regional subforums. Subdividing only makes sense if the activity is there; if it isn't, it just makes it harder for people to find stuff, because they're having to drill down several layers of forums to find what they need.

Very well said. :)

Mary
06-14-2009, 12:55 PM
yeahthatstuff :grin

Re the last suggestion ... it has not be followed up, the regional threads haven't been started. Those who would like to promote the idea as worthwhile can take the lead on an active thread for their region. :)

jasper978
06-16-2009, 10:06 PM
Mary,

Would it be okay to do the regional call threads in the Arena instead of the NAMHSA room? Not many people check there other than for official NAMHSA news. I don't think I've ever been scrolling by to see more than 1 person checking that forum.

I was thinking of just putting up a "Region 7 Roll Call" asking to post anything about get togethers, plannings and other ideas for the region in that place. I just think it would get more Traffic in the arena than somewhere obscure. Especially if this is a test program, I think it should be available to all members, paid or not.

bronzino
06-16-2009, 10:14 PM
Jackie, I'd go ahead and PM Mary about this. She is probably subbed to about 50 threads... :)