PDA

View Full Version : Relationships/marriage/etc

Kalaa Studios
02-19-2005, 08:37 PM
There's a forum for moms... why not one for general relationship discussions?

I know I sure could use an area where I can vent and/or discuss a bit LOL!

Mariah

tami
02-20-2005, 02:56 PM
That is a great idea I second that! :)

Heather
02-20-2005, 06:06 PM
Would we want this to be an open forum, or a 16+ "request and you can get in" kind of thing? No post requirement, just to keep it restricted to those of "relationship" age? Or just plain wide open? What would y'all be comfortable with??

Edited to add - also, WOYM frequently serves this purpose, too!

Griffin
02-20-2005, 06:43 PM
Edited to add - also, WOYM frequently serves this purpose, too!Yeah, it does. So does General OT. :yes :yes

~~Griffin~~

jennifersimagination
02-20-2005, 07:09 PM
Would we want this to be an open forum, or a 16+ "request and you can get in" kind of thing? No post requirement, just to keep it restricted to those of "relationship" age? Or just plain wide open? What would y'all be comfortable with??

I think a 16+ forum specifically for this could be good.... heaven knows that as happy as I am, I would like to vent to peers from time to time!

SR Rachel
02-20-2005, 07:13 PM

I don't see what would majically make a relationship of a 16 yo more legit than a relationship of a 15 yo.

The Moms one isn't age restricted after all.

If it is decided that a relationships forum is needed, I don't think it should be restricted.

hi_d_hi
02-20-2005, 07:46 PM

I'm going to make a judgement call here. If we are talking adult relationships, then this should be an adult forum. I wouldn't feel comfortable posting anything if I knew kids were reading in. If you have call for one, from the young people on this board, then put it iin the under 18 section. I don't believe kids under 18 are going to understand my relationships with men anyway. Let's face it, when we were that age, and thought we knew everything, and mom said we didn't, well, was she wrong? I can admit now my mom was right, but I didn't for a long time. I personally wouldn't want it, just because of the age factor, and what we want our young people doing or not doing. I don't think letting them into this kind of forum would help. Adult conversation should be kept that way. JMO.:ever:dunno

Gilder
02-23-2005, 01:19 PM

Uhm, let my husband in and I won't be there... :)

(Are we the only husband/wife "team" on here?)

Dr. Bork Bork
02-23-2005, 02:17 PM
If we're discussing actual relationships & adult stuff, I don't believe it has any place whatsoever on blab. This isn't Jerry Springer. JMO.

cranbonite
02-23-2005, 02:25 PM
If we're discussing actual relationships & adult stuff, I don't believe it has any place whatsoever on blab. This isn't Jerry Springer. JMO.
While I can see where you are coming from as to "not having a place," how is this any different from the Moms forum or personal posts (often about relationships!) that are frequently made on WOYM? I find it a little bit condescending to say "this isn't Jerry Springer" as that seems to imply to me that any discussion of our relationships would be trashy, which is completely unfair.

Kalaa Studios
02-23-2005, 06:18 PM
I'll chime in since I suggested it to start with!

I'll be 30 yo in a few months - I live with my partner (we're not married or even engaged just for the record) and our two dogs. I also have an 11 yo step-daughter. Am I particularly interested in discussing my gripes (or for that matter, relationship highs!) with teenagers? Not particularly.

Do I feel that it can be of importance for kids/teens to have a forum where they can talk about their feelings, relationships, etc? Absolutely! I'm not ANCIENT, I remember all too well how difficult it was growing up!

I personally would like to see three forums:
a) "Adult" ("Senior"? "Family"?). I'm reluctant to set a specific age due to a number of factors. A forum for those living *with* a partner and/or have kids... or those that are at least over 21 yo and dating .
b) "Teen" ("Young"?) - those that are below 21 yo and that aren't living with a partner, or have kids... but they have to be at least 13 (14? 15?) yo.
c) "Combo" - a forum where teens (that are eligible for "Teen") can ask us "old folks" about stuff that they may not want to approach their parents about. Don't get me wrong - I'm most certainly not thinking that anything inappropriate should be discussed. More along the lines of "I have a crush, what should I do?" type thing. Unfortunately, not all kids have loving parents or for that matter adults they can ask. And sometimes it's just too plain embarassing anyway LOL.

Anyway, that's just my take.

Mariah