PDA

View Full Version : Disabling Quick Reply Button

bronzino
10-29-2009, 09:49 PM
I'd like to see if there is feedback on the next change before I implement.

The default with our Quick Reply feature is that you must hit a "quick reply" button somewhere in a thread to get the "Quick Reply" post form to work. This default exists because people who view the board in "Threaded" mode see threads as outlines. If you were to hit the "quick reply" button on my post here, you would get a *specific* indication in Threaded mode that you were replying to MY post, as opposed to the last post generally.

But most Blabbers do not view Blab in Threaded mode. Therefore, most people are using the "Quick Reply" button pinned to the *last post* in the thread, even if that post ISN'T the one they mean to reply to. So the Quick Reply button isn't serving much of a function, AFAIK, even for people who use Threaded Mode.

Personally, I think that "Quick Reply" button is a contradiction - you want people to be able to reply quickly, but they have to press a random, almost meaningless button first? We're going to shut this off, unless you guys tell us we should not. Threaded mode viewers, please chat at me.

Thanks in advance for any feedback. If there is none, I'll press ahead. :)

MOD NOTE: This setting HAS been disabled. So you can use our Quick Reply box *without* having to hit a button to enable it.

lonesomeglorylover
10-29-2009, 10:04 PM
I personally don't mind, I'v never used it, I only use the Quote, and quote multiple, oh and the "post reply." :D

shastaharley
10-29-2009, 11:10 PM
I haven't been a member that long but I have never used the Quick reply button so wouldn't miss it.

Stumbleine
10-30-2009, 12:33 AM
I always use it. The only reason being, I like being able to look up at the past posts, even if it's just a single page, to gather my thoughts and remember what was said. I'm not well versed on quoting, let alone multiple quoting.

I didnt even realize we had a threaded mode and that me using the quick reply button might be effecting the look of a page, though. Eek! If anyone does use thread mode, I'm sorry my posts probably look insane, because I'll literally just click any quick reply button to open up the quick reply pad at the bottom of my screen, because, like you stated, my post just shows up at the end of the post-thread in the mode I use.

I understand if you get rid of quick reply but if you do, I'd really love it if someone talked me through multiple quoting, and if it's a process that takes super long, I dont think I'll use it anyway. I have little patience for gadgits that are tedious.

Obviously though it cant be that tedious since lots of people use it...

drumcliff01
10-30-2009, 12:36 AM
after just pressing the quick reply button... i do find it annoying because this is the only board i have to do it on...
Normally theres just the window at the bottom to reply into. But hey thats just me.

Drakkarstudios
10-30-2009, 12:42 AM
It has NEVER worked for me so no prob here!

eventingpony24
10-30-2009, 03:27 AM
I always always use Quick reply.. because it slows down everything too much to have to reload a new page every time I want to post a reply!

val2005horse
10-30-2009, 04:03 AM
I never realised there was a threaded mode either.

lonesomeglorylover
10-30-2009, 05:51 AM
testing, ignore this. :)

bronzino
10-30-2009, 07:08 AM
IMPT : We are *NOT" disabling Quick Reply. We will be disabling the requirement that you hit a *button* before you use it.

just making sure people are clear on whassup! :)

Legacy
10-30-2009, 07:54 AM
I've always thought it was odd that I had to hit a little button to reply. I would love to not have to do that!

Tifns
10-30-2009, 07:58 AM
I personally don't mind, I'v never used it, I only use the Quote, and quote multiple, oh and the "post reply." :D

I dont even know how to use that and I cant find the button for it... :hide I might try and use the quick reply to see how it works... Guess I been doing everything the hard way!

NoLineFarm
10-30-2009, 07:59 AM
I for one am for disabling it. I love quick reply and use it most the time unless I want to try and do a fancy schmancy post which is rare. I am all for one less click.

I have viewed this board through the threaded version and find it irritating at best so never use it. But that is just MHO.

Robin
10-30-2009, 11:27 AM
I completely agree. I love the ability to post a quick reply, but I'd love to be able to type directly into the box without having to hit Quick Reply first. Wasn't that how Blab was before the last major software change, or am I thinking of another board?

Stitch
10-30-2009, 11:33 AM
Yeah, lets get rid of the button thingy once and for all! Otherwise it's not really 'quick reply' at all :lol

MorBarbs
10-30-2009, 12:38 PM
thread mode?! I don't even know what that is :embarrass

Kristi Hale
10-30-2009, 12:50 PM
The quick reply button sucks. Getting rid of it ASAP would make me a happy panda.

Three Pines Farm
10-30-2009, 12:52 PM
I usually use the quick reply, so getting rid of the button would bring joy to my heart.... Except not.

I would be happy to see the button gone though :lol

delacroix3721
10-30-2009, 12:54 PM
a while ago, i was using quick reply all the time.

then, for quite a while, when i hit the button the 'post reply' page would show up along with whatever the previous person had wrote. so, it was as if i had hit the 'quote' button.

it seems to be working for me again, so i'll go back to using 'quick reply' whether i need to hit the button first or not.

LaughingStockStables
10-30-2009, 05:04 PM
I'd love to be able to type directly into the box without having to hit Quick Reply first. Wasn't that how Blab was before the last major software change, or am I thinking of another board?

Yep, it was.

Melissa
10-30-2009, 05:46 PM
I like being able to hit the button an immediatly go to the bottom of the page and reply.

bronzino
10-30-2009, 09:31 PM
The manual doesn't say the button will disappear, so it may well be that you will still have the button available for "jump" purposes. I don't know that for certain though.

bronzino
10-30-2009, 10:22 PM
Yep, it was.

I think you're right. I remember it actually took me some time to figure out which button was the Quick Reply button. :toothy I wonder how many new Blabbers are confused by it.

I'll turn it off in the AM. That way, folks will have had at least a day to see this announcement and get the context.

Another thing I might try is to make the Quick Reply box a little bigger.

Mary
10-30-2009, 11:33 PM
Yeah what Liz said ...

At present when you go to the Quick Reply box at the bottom of the thread, you can't type in it until you first hit the lower right button in some post in the thread. (For most people that would be the last post just above the Quick Reply box.)

If Liz makes this change the Quick Reply box will be available to start typing without hitting any buttons - you just type and post.

Do you know what Threaded Mode is? :writing :)
If you do, let us know that you are using it.
If you don't know, no worries because you aren't using it - you have to make a selection to see Threaded Mode.

If we open up the Quick Reply box to type without hitting a button, we loose Threaded Mode. As far as we know that's no real loss because there are doubts anyone is has selected Threaded Mode. But Liz wisely decided to check first, because we're just assuming, and there is no other way for us to know if it's being used.

Removing the requirement to hit a button is just an added convenience. :puter

:2spy

Mary
10-31-2009, 01:25 AM
I like being able to hit the button an immediatly go to the bottom of the page and reply.

You will still be able to do that. The button won't go away. It just won't be required to start typing in the Quick Reply box. :)

bronzino
10-31-2009, 08:32 AM
Alrighty, the "must click Quick Reply button" setting has been disabled.

And as Mary said, the button is still there for "jump" purposes. It's just not mandatory to use it anymore. :)

Legacy
10-31-2009, 09:06 AM
:yaymiller I didn't have to click the Quick Reply button to type this! :woohoo

Mary
11-01-2009, 10:19 AM
:yaymiller I didn't have to click the Quick Reply button to type this! :woohoo

Life just got a little better. :tiphat :dance :one

White_Horse
11-01-2009, 12:45 PM
Woohoo! Thank you guys! It's a minor change but I know I like it better.

Legacy
11-01-2009, 01:11 PM
Life just got a little better. :tiphat :dance :one

It's the little things that count! :toothy

Kristi Hale
11-01-2009, 01:29 PM
God, that's awesome.

LaughingStockStables
11-02-2009, 04:31 PM
I still keep clicking the button purely out of habit. :/

Laura G
11-02-2009, 04:33 PM
:yaymiller :yaymiller :yaymiller :yaymiller :yaymiller

bronzino
11-02-2009, 04:34 PM
I still keep clicking the button purely out of habit. :/

Hahaha. Me too. We're so lame. :toothy

camaro88lover
11-02-2009, 04:46 PM
I've never even used this quick reply feature :lol

Drakkarstudios
11-02-2009, 04:50 PM
I'm replying on quick reply...and if this posts it actually worked for me this time. lol

Drakkarstudios
11-02-2009, 04:50 PM
Ooooooo....nifty and spiffy! lol

Stumbleine
11-03-2009, 01:58 AM
OH! See, I like this.

I didnt, erm, read. I thought you were getting rid of my box, not making it better and things.

Yay!

MBPearls
11-04-2009, 10:53 PM
This is change I can believe in!

Jacqueline
11-05-2009, 09:55 PM
Yay! lol and I also keep clicking it... what is the point of it anyways?

Mary
11-05-2009, 09:59 PM
Yay! lol and I also keep clicking it... what is the point of it anyways?

Jaqueline, this is a moment of "be careful what you ask for," because one of us just might explain it! :lol There was a reason, but I think you had to be in love with forums in the mid-90's to want it. Which some people may be ... that's why we checked with everyone, after determining that turning it off would not technically disable Blab or anything.