PDA

View Full Version : questionable customs!

whitetail ridge
02-27-2005, 02:57 PM
That thread has gotten so big maybe it needs to be a forum!

lunarune
02-28-2005, 02:28 AM
personaly Id hope not, no offence to anyone, I know its not always meant in a bad way, but I have never felt comfortable with a thread that seems purely for slagging of someones work, maybe its just me! But if these guys wanted a critique Id think they 'd ask, and if we dont like a peice than we can give a critique subtly by not bidding on the horse. I dread to think what may have been said about my early work!
If you dont like something dont buy it, and I like to live by the rule that if you cant say anything nice.....
Im of the school of thought that Id not comment on a peice I saw flaws in unless the artist asked for opinions, and then it'd only be if I was pretty sure Id personaly be able to fix the problem if I was working on the peice.
JMO! :)

brumby988
02-28-2005, 06:24 PM
This issue has been discussed already on the said thread. Do we have any solutions that could make a compromise? Sorry, I can't think of any, but maybe someone else has?

samantha k.
02-28-2005, 10:35 PM
personaly Id hope not, no offence to anyone, I know its not always meant in a bad way, but I have never felt comfortable with a thread that seems purely for slagging of someones work, maybe its just me! But if these guys wanted a critique Id think they 'd ask, and if we dont like a peice than we can give a critique subtly by not bidding on the horse. I dread to think what may have been said about my early work!
If you dont like something dont buy it, and I like to live by the rule that if you cant say anything nice.....
Im of the school of thought that Id not comment on a peice I saw flaws in unless the artist asked for opinions, and then it'd only be if I was pretty sure Id personaly be able to fix the problem if I was working on the peice.
JMO! :)
I'll have to agree with you half and half. Really, I'm somewhat for the "if you're not going to say anything nice..." But I also enjoy viewing people's "silly" attempts at customs.:wink

As far as I can tell though, it's quite a popular thread- But I don't think it needs a forum.

Beyondanytherapy
02-28-2005, 11:04 PM
Personally, I'd like to offer critiques whether the artist asks or not. Because I've seen many people still customizing terrible things because they didn't ask for critiques. I see time after time, them posting to e-bay or MHSP and I just cringe because of how wrong they are. I want anyone and everyone to critique my work, because I want to be as good as I can be.. I guess sometimes I just assume everyone wants critiques.

Heather
03-01-2005, 12:38 AM
Kim, your avatar makes me slobber all over my keyboard.

Have to agree with you guys, I'm not feeling it for a separate forum for the eighty page questionable custom thread.

kidwitch
03-01-2005, 09:50 AM
Maybe there could be a seperate sub-board in the Studio for harsher, more honest critiques of work that the artist subjects themselves too? I do not agree with the questionable customs (at all) but maybe a sub-board where artists post their own work asking for the harsher/more honest critiques would be nice. People do tend to sugarcoat critiques in studio blab (and I understand why, you don't want to raise an argument) but where there is an area were honesty is the policy in model critiquing it would be awful nice.

I personally believe that having a section or thread like that could honestly improve models that are cast. I mean, is it super duper fair that people are posting their models and everyone goes "So pretty!" then when its cast no one buys because in truth it was anatomically incorrect? I've seen it happen, and it is a shame. Perhaps this kind of sub-board could narrow the pool of incorrect and bring improvement to all the artists.

I just think its unfair to have people yanking ebay auctions to get a kick out of saying "What a wonky neck!" when that harsh criticism should really be asked for. Ya mean?

cranbonite
03-01-2005, 10:44 AM
Kim, your avatar makes me slobber all over my keyboard.Haha...I'm usually not into Bowie (he's got the style and the moves but I never really liked his looks) but MAN that is one sexy picture. I am so with you, Heather.

I didn't know you went for glammy girly-men, though, Heather ;) :bolt

lunarune
03-01-2005, 11:13 AM
Maybe there could be a seperate sub-board in the Studio for harsher, more honest critiques of work that the artist subjects themselves too? I do not agree with the questionable customs (at all) but maybe a sub-board where artists post their own work asking for the harsher/more honest critiques would be nice. People do tend to sugarcoat critiques in studio blab (and I understand why, you don't want to raise an argument) but where there is an area were honesty is the policy in model critiquing it would be awful nice.

I personally believe that having a section or thread like that could honestly improve models that are cast. I mean, is it super duper fair that people are posting their models and everyone goes "So pretty!" then when its cast no one buys because in truth it was anatomically incorrect? I've seen it happen, and it is a shame. Perhaps this kind of sub-board could narrow the pool of incorrect and bring improvement to all the artists.

I just think its unfair to have people yanking ebay auctions to get a kick out of saying "What a wonky neck!" when that harsh criticism should really be asked for. Ya mean?Im with you 150% on that one, what a great idea, that way anyone wanting a decent critique could post there and honest fair critiques could be made. I really have been helped by honest opinions of my work, my 1st blue eye was siamese cat blue lol, till I was told it shold be ice white!

Mel Miller
03-01-2005, 12:28 PM
Kim, your avatar makes me slobber all over my keyboard.
Bowie-licious INDEED. :bump :hubba

Heather
03-01-2005, 12:55 PM
I didn't know you went for glammy girly-men, though, Heather ;) :boltI totally don't - it's that PICTURE. Mmmm. :hubba Course, his wife could kick all our butts at once. :lol

kidwitch
03-01-2005, 12:58 PM
I totally don't - it's that PICTURE. Mmmm. :hubba Course, his wife could kick all our butts at once. :lol
I thought David Bowie was gay!?

Heather
03-01-2005, 12:58 PM

I just think its unfair to have people yanking ebay auctions to get a kick out of saying "What a wonky neck!" when that harsh criticism should really be asked for. Ya mean?
I'm digging this idea. The forum descriptive blurb could be disclaimer-y like "no whining if you post your work for critique; remember that "you asked for it" kinda thing - but I think that the people that use a forum like that would be the type of people that would keep constructive criticism in perspective (as opposed to taking it personally), use it, and run with it! :thumbsup

Heather
03-01-2005, 12:59 PM
I thought David Bowie was gay!?
Nooooo. He's married to the incomparably breathtakingly gorgeous Iman.

kidwitch
03-01-2005, 01:22 PM
I'm digging this idea. The forum descriptive blurb could be disclaimer-y like "no whining if you post your work for critique; remember that "you asked for it" kinda thing - but I think that the people that use a forum like that would be the type of people that would keep constructive criticism in perspective (as opposed to taking it personally), use it, and run with it! :thumbsup
*dances*
Way cool! I know I got some comments from people telling me that it was a good idea, its a win-win Heather!

Equarius Studios
03-01-2005, 03:49 PM
I think that's a really good idea, as I have definately gotten sick of the "sugar coating" :woohoo

Heather
03-01-2005, 04:06 PM
:thumbsup http://www.modelhorseblab.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=74

Le_Mule_Chic
03-04-2005, 09:40 PM
I'm digging this idea. The forum descriptive blurb could be disclaimer-y like "no whining if you post your work for critique; remember that "you asked for it" kinda thing - but I think that the people that use a forum like that would be the type of people that would keep constructive criticism in perspective (as opposed to taking it personally), use it, and run with it! :thumbsupI'm all for a constructive criticism forum. I was actually a bit dissapointed when I posted some horses in the "Studio Blab" forum and all people said was "nice."
I mean, people don't like to hear "Your horse looks like crap" when its their work, but something like "Maybe look at some reference photos for his neck" would be good.
Is it possible to have some guidelines for a constructive criticism forum/subforum?
I'll admit, I've been the giver of very unconstructive criticism,:angry and I'm ashamed of it now. :embarras: