PDA

View Full Version : Blab 2010 - New Feature - Articles!

Mary
12-29-2009, 10:41 AM
Blab is adding a new feature ...
Articles!

Some of our members were prescient about this, suggesting articles be added to Blab. :grin
I hope y'all have been gathering ideas and articles.

:puter :writing :puter :writing :puter

New articles ... Existing articles ...
including embedded photos, images and youtube videos ...

Articles will be organized by sections and categories

Have an article you'd like to submit to Blab?
First, read the articles policy below.
Post here with your topic or idea (not the article.)
We will give you temporary permission to a special forum
where you can post your article along with all photos, images and videos.
It will not be visible until it is approved and placed appropriately. (You can also PM.)

Articles policy (draft version)
(edited from the original version for clarity)
The author retains all off-Blab rights to anything they submit. Authors can do anything they like with the material off-Blab.

Blab has all rights to decide how to use all submitted material for the purposes of Blab, including articles, photos, images, videos, etc. Blab will review articles and make decisions on how and if it is published, needed edits, etc. It is Blab's intention to use all submissions appropriately, as is done with submitted posts, blog entries and gallery photos, and in a way that wins members' confidence. Blab hopes to work with authors when it is felt edits/changes are needed to articles and accompanying material.

- All articles must be credited to the actual author.
- Articles authored by non-members may be submitted by members, but the author must communicate their permission for publication directly to Blab management.
- It will be assumed that included photos and other images and videos are used with permission of the creator(s.)
- Authors agree that needed editing will occur for the Blab published version, including rewording/polishing as needed. The author will be given a chance to comment on any corrections of facts, but lack of response will not stop publishing. It isn't the intent to re-write, just maintain a standard for Blab articles. Blab intends to use all submitted material appropriately.

:puter :writing :puter :writing :puter

yofi
12-29-2009, 01:30 PM
I'd be happy/willing to write something about about horse colors and genes (and if someone else wants to collab. on it, I'd be happy to work with them, too).

Erin
12-29-2009, 02:09 PM
Is it really necessary for the article to become the property of Blab? What exactly does that mean, as well? Does the author have the right to re-publish the article on his or her web site/blog/submit to another hobby publication?

princess_in_power
12-29-2009, 02:19 PM
Articles policy (draft version)
- All material published on Blab becomes the property of Blab.
- Authors and creators of photos and other images retain the right to use their own material in any way they wish off-Blab.

Erin
12-29-2009, 02:24 PM
Right - I saw that about photos and images, but that doesn't refer to the articles themselves. Is it supposed to apply to the whole article?

Mary
12-29-2009, 08:02 PM
Is it really necessary for the article to become the property of Blab? What exactly does that mean, as well? Does the author have the right to re-publish the article on his or her web site/blog/submit to another hobby publication?
All that means is the Blab has the rights to what is published on Blab. No one can claim that part of Blab's paid subs belong to them because of the material they have submitted to Blab (posts, articles, etc.) And once they've submitted something to Blab - a post, article, gallery photo - they can't demand Blab use it or not use it in a particular way. That is, they can't require Blab to de-publish it or move it or display it, things like that. Does that make sense?

Absolutely the author continues to own all non-Blab rights. They can do what they like with it off-Blab. They just don't control what Blab does with it.

So, it's up to Blab to use what members submit in a way that wins their confidence. Blab has the right to do anything with material on Blab, posts/articles/photos-images/etc., but by not abusing that right members will feel confident about submitting their creativity to Blab.

Hope all that makes sense! Perhaps more explanation or different phraseology would be better for the policy. We just want everyone to understand and be on the same page when they submit something that is so much of their work and inspiration. :2spy :)

magikrosefarm
12-29-2009, 10:23 PM
Would anyone be interested in any horse breed articles? I honestly have 100s of them already written that have never been published in any form but here on my own computer. I do have quite a small ton of photos, too. I've been considering mixing them with some molds, too--maybe in a fresh way that model horse collectors and showers, especially photo showers might enjoy.

unicornwoman
12-30-2009, 09:51 AM
I've got an article on Dangers of Long-Term Tack display that is up-to-date that I'd be willing to have republished on Blab. You can see the article here (http://www.unicornwoman.com/uw_articles/uw_longdisplay.htm).

PM if this would fit as I may forget to check this thread!

mumtaz
12-30-2009, 03:14 PM
Would anyone be interested in any horse breed articles?

I think that would be great, especially if they pertain to model horses as well (i.e. molds that are good representations of a breed, etc). If we do breed articles, for the sake of consistency (in my opinion anyway), it would be nice to include things like origin and history of the breed, body type and characteristics, colors found in the breed gene pool vs registerable colors, use, noteworthy foundation stock or notewothy performers, model representations, etc. :)

Erin
12-30-2009, 03:27 PM
All that means is the Blab has the rights to what is published on Blab. No one can claim that part of Blab's paid subs belong to them because of the material they have submitted to Blab (posts, articles, etc.) And once they've submitted something to Blab - a post, article, gallery photo - they can't demand Blab use it or not use it in a particular way. That is, they can't require Blab to de-publish it or move it or display it, things like that. Does that make sense?

Absolutely the author continues to own all non-Blab rights. They can do what they like with it off-Blab. They just don't control what Blab does with it.

So, it's up to Blab to use what members submit in a way that wins their confidence. Blab has the right to do anything with material on Blab, posts/articles/photos-images/etc., but by not abusing that right members will feel confident about submitting their creativity to Blab.

Hope all that makes sense! Perhaps more explanation or different phraseology would be better for the policy. We just want everyone to understand and be on the same page when they submit something that is so much of their work and inspiration. :2spy :)

Thanks for the explanation Mary - that does help clarify quite a bit!

BreyerFanatic01
01-01-2010, 10:13 AM
I would be more than happy to do a "vintage point" of sorts, if people would be willing to provide me with some pictures.

ravensgate
01-01-2010, 07:48 PM
I've been meaning to do this for a long time but I have to find a way to simplify it because I can confuse myself trying to explain it. I'd like to (or someone else can for sure) write an article about how Ebay works. I'd like to go into good detail about how bidding works, how the bids increase, when to know if you are just one bid away from winning the item (by looking at the bid history), etc.

Would have to find the time to do it but that's my input:)

bronzino
01-02-2010, 12:37 AM
That would be terrific, Jaime, because you're the first person I think of, when I have an eBay question.

I just spent something like 10 hours teaching myself to operate the articles software. It's going to be easy from a user-standpoint, but it's unnecessarily complicated at the administrative end. I think I've got it beaten into submission, however. :grin

I'm thinking about how to organize the articles now and have asked Kirsten for her input. I have a list going, based on what's in here and what we've talked about previously. Right now I'm thinking three major areas:

Model Horses (subsections divided by media)
Related Info (subsections showing, storage, selling, technique, etc.)
Real Horses (subsections breed info, color inheritence, etc)

So I'm thinking we'll have collectibility-type articles, maybe, in Model Horses > Breyer and OF China. But what the heck would we put in AR and CM? Artists' biographies? Catalogues of their work? That would be great but that's already touched on in many places on the web... ??