PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma under seige!

Chris Flint
01-28-2010, 02:00 PM
Please be aware that we are getting hammered in Oklahoma with a BAD winter storm. It is freezing rain and we are in for over an INCH of it in many places. If that happens, there will be massive power outages and it could be days/weeks before some of us will be able to communicate gain. Those affected that I can think of would include me (Chris Nandell) Karla Rankin, Lori Batchelor, Bill Duncan, & Lyn Norbury and several others I can't think of at this moment.

Please be patient if you are waiting to hear from any of us!

Thanks!

~ Chris.

JulieB
01-28-2010, 02:03 PM
Take care, Chris and stay safe!!

Ghost_Wolf_Ranch
01-28-2010, 03:09 PM
UGH. Ice storms friggin' suck.

Stay warm and safe everyone! :hugg

lonesome_glory_2007
01-28-2010, 03:46 PM
Yuck!!! I hope that nonsense doesn't hit my folks' place. Good luck with it. Chris!

ModelHorseHubby
01-28-2010, 04:20 PM
Take care, I think this is the same storm system we are buckling down in Tennessee for.

ravensgate
01-28-2010, 04:23 PM
Take care, I think this is the same storm system we are buckling down in Tennessee for.

Yep, I do NOT want ice. Snow is fine, ice is horrible.

hoppydog
01-28-2010, 05:47 PM
Take Care Be Safe, let us know when everything is back to normal.

texxdog
01-28-2010, 06:02 PM
I hope everyone is safe. Please keep us updated.

BreyerGirl14
01-28-2010, 06:21 PM
UGH. Ice storms friggin' suck.

Stay warm and safe everyone! :hugg
OMG I can't second that anymore! I know how ya'll feel! We got over 2 inches of that stuff this time last year.
It SUCKED!

Were expecting ice and 8 inches of snow from this thing.

:hugg:hugg:hugg

Roseridge
01-28-2010, 07:12 PM
Keep warm and stay safe! :snowflake

john
01-28-2010, 08:09 PM
Tracey and I are getting hammered here, too. The good thing for us is, we live within walking distance of the hospital. When electricity goes out, the hospital is priority #1 to get back up and running first. We're in the same power grid. So portions of town are without power already but we do at least still have electricity. (although it did go off once for a couple minutes and flickers now and then even now) We are holed up with plenty of bottled water, canned goods, etc. and some movies to watch. Family time! Yay! :)
Sending a shout out to everyone else enduring the same storm - stay warm and stay safe. :hugg

Chris Flint
01-28-2010, 08:27 PM
Well, we have weathered the first half of the storm here in OKC. We got about 1/4" of ice, but they got a LOT more South of us in Purcell, Norman, Noble, Chickasha & LIndsey. Karla (Rankin) called nd said that they lost power about 5:00, but they have a wood stove that they are firing up for heat. I talked to Lori (Batchelor) about 5:00 and it was just really getting started at her place.

We are in a "dry slot" for the next couple of hours and then it's supposed to start snowing through the night and all day tomorrow. We could get up to 8" in the OKC area, but Tulsa area is supposed to get up to 12". Lesser snow amounts South of the metro.

The big thing here now is the wind. We have power here in OKC and I am very, VERY thankful for that! But I am glad I have all kinds of things at the ready if we end up loosing power overnight.

John, where in Oklahoma are you?

Wishing all of the folks in Arkansas, Missouri and the Texas Panhandle area to stay safe and warm!

~ Chris.

calfcaller
01-28-2010, 08:33 PM

I believe they are close to Ada. We are expected to get rain then freezing rain later tonight and end up with 7-10 inches of snow when it gets done by tomorrow night.

Everyone stay safe and warm.
Jan

LaughingStockStables
01-28-2010, 09:07 PM
We are supposed to be getting bad weather too, any time now...

Kristi Hale
01-28-2010, 09:28 PM
We are looking for the butt-end of this in north Texas. Stay safe, Okies!

Mary
01-28-2010, 09:34 PM
Take care all. Stay safe ... lots of moral support from here to skip anything that would require driving. :freezing :D

John that is a gorgeous model in your avatar. Why you let Tracey sell him??? :grin

john
01-29-2010, 07:29 AM

We are in Ada. :yes Just got up to check the school closings and our school is closed today so my wife is staying home with the kiddos but I will still be going to work. (I do roadside assistance for Goodyear on tractor/trailers and heavy equipment using a specially equipped truck)

The wind was really something last night. Blowing the ice-laden trees and power lines around. We're hearing that there are lots of power lines down but fortunately we do still have electricity here at our house. Great perk of where our house is located. I worry about the others across the state with no power and hope they were able to get stocked up with supplies in advance and stay warm while this is going on. :freezing

John

john
01-29-2010, 07:36 AM
John that is a gorgeous model in your avatar. Why you let Tracey sell him??? :grin

:haha That is a really good question! I ask myself that every day, and so does she! :yes :doh

Chris Flint
01-29-2010, 10:26 AM
Thanks to everyone for their prayers and warm wishes to all of us Okies! While we are still supposed to be getting snow today, it looks like Arkansas and Southern MO are really going to be getting "hammered" today with the freezing rain, so we all have to be praying for them now.

We were very lucky and never lost power. I talked to Karla and Lori this morning and they both have power. Karlas' power came back on last night after a couple of hours, so they are OK. We were getting some fairly heavy and pretty snow this morning up here.

From what it has been showing on the news, the brunt of the ice storm was about 20 miles South of OKC and in a band about 60 miles wide. (That's what the news has been saying.) Karla said that they had a full inch of ice on everything at her place - and she is just South of Purcell. I think we had about 1/4" of ice and Lori (near Tulsa) said that she had 1/4 to maybe 1/2" of ice at her place.

I'm definitely staying inside today! Now that I feel pretty confident we will keep our power, I'm going to paint today. :)

Hey John, Nice to "meet" you! :hello You and your family stay safe & warm down there in Ada!

~ Chris.

Shaheen
01-29-2010, 11:07 AM
Hi Chris and Everyone,
I'm in Mountain Home Arkansas and the ice started coming down last night. It came down pretty heavy all night but now it has turned to snow. We have not lost power. I think that bad ice storm from last year helped because the whole area lost so many trees and limbs, that there is not much around to fall on the power lines. It got windy last night and it is blowing today too. Maybe we won't loose power now that it is snowing rather than that destructive freezing rain.

ravensgate
01-29-2010, 11:09 AM
It's heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrreeeeee. Started as freezing rain while I was at the farm and switched over to snow. It's covering quickly. If I can just get to the farm both days and the horses stay safe I might be able to enjoy it:snowflake

JulieB
01-29-2010, 11:59 AM
Glad everyone is ok. Definitely keeping those in prayer that are getting it today. We are on the waaaaay northern edge of it and are just getting flurries today.

BreyerGirl14
01-29-2010, 12:54 PM
10' inches of snow expected for us! We've got about 2 or 3 now here!:woohoo

sassymiss
01-29-2010, 01:55 PM
I don't know how it happens but it seems that here in STL and points north are not supposed to get much of anything with this storm. They are predicting snow to start after 2 this afternoon but no accumulation. SO glad we aren't getting all that ice and mess! Good luck and keep safe to those of you in the 'storm' areas!!

ModelHorseHubby
01-29-2010, 05:01 PM
The weatherman lied to us. He said that the snow was going to break north of us, and it was only going to rain in the TN Valley.

In the last 3 hours we have gotten 4+ inches of snow. It took me 50 minutes to drive 6.6 miles home from work. I burned 1/8th of a tank of gas, passed 4 wrecks, was sideways on the road 3 times, and slid through a stop sign at a blistering 3 MPH.

And we are now looking at another 20+ hours of sustained snowfall.

yay. :doh

lonesome_glory_2007
01-29-2010, 05:19 PM
It's snowing here, too. I'm in Bowling Green, KY. I haven't talked to my folks yet (Joplin, MO) but I'm sure they're getting some of it. I hope it doesn't get too bad.

LaughingStockStables
01-29-2010, 05:43 PM
We have about 8 inches of snow here, an hour from Joplin. No ice that I can see.

Kristi Hale
01-29-2010, 05:46 PM
It's the kind you can't see that gets ya...

LaughingStockStables
01-29-2010, 05:53 PM
Yeah, I'm glad I don't have to go out there. :hide Be careful, everyone!

ravensgate
01-29-2010, 11:14 PM
Well, my camera just went out at the farm. I don't know if that means the internet is down or the power is off. And of course, power going off is bad, bad, astronomically BAD. Water, heat, electric fence charger, and all of my water trough heaters will be dead. And we don't know if any of us can even get there tomorrow. My stepdad is going to try since he's the only one with 4WD, but nothing can drive on ice. My boys got a bunch of hay today in preparation for this, my girls and kids have a roundbale each so I don't worry too much about them but egads, I'm worried about trees coming down, power lines coming down (there are power lines through one of my pastures), and on and on and on. I'm freaking out:randommil We haven't had this much snow in 7 years. Haven't had this much ice since I was a kid (I'm 32 now). This sucks:(

artocyn
01-29-2010, 11:23 PM
It's bad enough here in Southern Tenn. that the plant I work at shut down at noon today. That hasn't happened since 1998. I got the truck stuck trying to get home from the grocery and had to make two mile long round trips on foot getting the groceries home. I honestly wasn't expecting this until after I got off work tonight. Got caught with my proverbial pants down.

ravensgate
01-29-2010, 11:29 PM
It's bad enough here in Southern Tenn. that the plant I work at shut down at noon today. That hasn't happened since 1998. I got the truck stuck trying to get home from the grocery and had to make two mile long round trips on foot getting the groceries home. I honestly wasn't expecting this until after I got off work tonight. Got caught with my proverbial pants down.

Yeah, my mom was convinced all the news stations said noon today before this crap got here. Well the station I woke up watching said 8am. Sure enough, the freezing rain showed up at the farm at about 8:30 and it was snowing at the house. I called my mom and she was like 'They LIED!'. I told her it was supposed to snow until 3 or so tomorrow afternoon. She's like 'Where did you hear THAT?' and I replied 'On the station that at least got the time right this morning on when this stuff was getting here!':lol

Stay safe Cyn, it's downright dangerous out there right now:freezing

bronzino
01-29-2010, 11:34 PM
In the last 3 hours we have gotten 4+ inches of snow. It took me 50 minutes to drive 6.6 miles home from work. I burned 1/8th of a tank of gas, passed 4 wrecks, was sideways on the road 3 times, and slid through a stop sign at a blistering 3 MPH.

And we are now looking at another 20+ hours of sustained snowfall.

yay. :doh

Jesus. I hope you stay safe.

lady_affirmed
01-29-2010, 11:53 PM
I'm worried about my family in north west Tennessee. Mom said it has been alternating between sleet and snow all day with reports of nearly 9 inches on the ground. She also said there had been a lot of car accidents being reported as early as 6 AM. One of their friends, who drives a 4WD truck, was slipping all over the place. My older brother, Matt, showed up for work and they gave him his paycheck and told him to go back home. He couldn't up the driveway to his house.

Mom said they were fine for now. They're ready in case the power goes out. My dad has to go to work tomorrow and I'm very worried at what will happen. Kind of sucks being six hours away from them.

ravensgate
01-29-2010, 11:58 PM
I'm worried about my family in north west Tennessee. Mom said it has been alternating between sleet and snow all day with reports of nearly 9 inches on the ground. She also said there had been a lot of car accidents being reported as early as 6 AM. One of their friends, who drives a 4WD truck, was slipping all over the place. My older brother, Matt, showed up for work and they gave him his paycheck and told him to go back home. He couldn't up the driveway to his house.

Mom said they were fine for now. They're ready in case the power goes out. My dad has to go to work tomorrow and I'm very worried at what will happen. Kind of sucks being six hours away from them.

It's really bad in middle TN, I can tell you that. And yeah, 4WD slipping all over the place isn't what I want to hear, but I know nothing can drive on ice:( I'm glad your brother at least got back home safe.

Prayers for everyone during this nastiness.

I just gotta keep repeating to myself 'There's nothing I can do about it.' I can just pray a lot.

ModelHorseHubby
01-30-2010, 06:03 AM
AM update from East TN, through the night, we had wintery mix and the heavy snowfall seems to have tapered off. The wintery mix was of course the switch in the clouds rocking back and forth between sleet and snow.

The city believed the weathermen. They said this would break along I-40, snow north, rain south. There wasnt so much as a bucket of salt put out on the roads, and Athens has to my knowledge one snow plow.

The ice, slush, and snow pack on the road is over an inch thick at the moment, and that is after the plow came through at least once.

ravensgate
01-30-2010, 08:56 AM
Well, we had a lot of beautiful snow and now it's just icy garbage. Ice started last night at about 5pm and went through I guess, midnight or so. Hubby went out and the top layer is ice laden snow, solid sheets of it over an inch thick. We can't even play in this funk:somad Looks like about 1/4-1/2" of ice on the power lines. It looks like the weather system has moved on out but this stuff won't be going anywhere until Monday or Tuesday. Our camera at the farm came back up thank heavens so at least there's power up there.

Chris Flint
01-30-2010, 09:22 AM
Hey Jamie,

I feel your pain! BELIEVE me! I can offer you a couple of insights regarding the horses. First off, unless your horses test their fence every day, they will most likely respect them even if they are off for a couple of days. The first time we had an ice storm, our place ws entirely cross-fenced in electric tape (and I had 2 stallions) and they never even tried to escape their fences.

As long as they have access to shelter, hay and water they will be just fine. We don't have tank heaters and many times when we go out to break ice, we see that the ponies have made "muzzle holes" in the ice on their own. If you absolutely can not get to them safely, they will survive for a day if they have to.

Be safe **yourself** first! Sending prayers and warm wishes your way!!!

~ Chris.

ravensgate
01-30-2010, 10:26 AM
Well, my stepdad made it to the farm thank goodness! I haven't heard from him yet, but he's been there about an hour so no news is good news to me. He has 4WD while I just have a 2WD Rodeo with about 200 extra pounds of weight for help with traction in snow (not ice!). If he couldn't make it, I knew I couldn't so I would have just sat here all day and worried.

The good thing about the electric fence, is it's just to cut my pasture in half for my fat stud and his fat gelding. If he went through that, there's more fences to keep him within the larger pasture. It's that 1 inch tape though, so I worry about the weight of the snow and ice pulling it on the ground and them getting tangled in it. Other than that, I don't think they would test it. I hope not anyway!

I reckon when I manage to get up there I will be walking fence lines to see if we've got trees down on the fences. Blech.:yuk

lonesome_glory_2007
01-30-2010, 10:37 AM
Ugh. Not fun, Jaime. I'm sure that they'll be fine--especially since someone was able to check on them.

We didn't get too much in Bowling Green (that I can tell from my window). Maybe a few inches of snow? When I talked to my folks in Joplin last night, they'd gotten six or so inches, but no ice--which is great. Hopefully this whole mess will go away within a day or so. Then again, the way everyone here is freaking out about a couple inches of SNOW, maybe they'll cancel class on Monday. :haha

ravensgate
01-30-2010, 11:14 AM
Ugh. Not fun, Jaime. I'm sure that they'll be fine--especially since someone was able to check on them.

We didn't get too much in Bowling Green (that I can tell from my window). Maybe a few inches of snow? When I talked to my folks in Joplin last night, they'd gotten six or so inches, but no ice--which is great. Hopefully this whole mess will go away within a day or so. Then again, the way everyone here is freaking out about a couple inches of SNOW, maybe they'll cancel class on Monday. :haha

I'm surprised you all didn't have a LOT more snow! Heck, if the ice hadn't come through last night we could have easily have about 6 inches. It squished the snow:( As it stands right now it's about 3 inches of snow a bit over an inch of ice.

You guys were in the band that stayed snow I think. We were right in the cusp where it would switch to snow, sleet, freezing rain, snow, rinse and repeat. There's no way this stuff will be gone by Monday here. I don't know if it will be gone until Tuesday when it gets on up towards 40.

Hope everyone else has remained safe and not lost power. :pray

Chris Flint
01-30-2010, 02:39 PM
I just made a web page with pictures of the big storm we just had here in OKC. Click on the link and it will take you to the page: http://www.boshevo.com/2010winterstorm/index.html

BBrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~ Chris.

heatherl
02-04-2010, 12:59 PM
Ice storms really make a mess out of things, but if you can set that aside and truly look around with an open mind, they make a beautiful sight. We used to get ice storms every few years in MI when I was younger (doesn't seem like we get them as often now). I hope you thaw out soon.

-Heather Larkins (in snow covered MT)

john
02-05-2010, 08:03 AM
Our ice and snow finally melted but left a HUGE MESS in its' wake. My wife literally got her car stuck in front of our house and I had to come pull her out with a big winch on my work truck. And we are going to have to rent a carpet shampooer from the muddy mess our kids have made, from forgetting to take their shoes off when they come inside. But we are so glad to have it all gone at last! Now things can FINALLY get back to normal!!! :haha