PDA

View Full Version : Monitoring the chat?

Merrylegs
03-06-2005, 01:34 PM
I think there should be a monitor to monitor the chat room because someone might say something nasty and crude about someone or talk about something nasty.

booker81
03-06-2005, 01:40 PM
I think we do a pretty good with ourselves. I know if I'm about to say something raunchy, or adultish, I will ask to make sure there arent under-agers. That's usually my clue that I'm going to be a pig.

I'm in there a lot, cuz Im bored a lot, and can't get myself to do stuff I should, like cook a huge breakfast or clean the house (my plans for yesterday before getting hammered at the bar). I'm in there now.

I've yet to see something that is in poor taste there. Sure the comments can get adult, but only when there are adults there. I have no prolbem chatting with underage, or people who don't wish to gutter talk. I think we a cool the way we are....be better if more peole chatted!

Jen

ryllina
03-06-2005, 02:07 PM
I'm not sure it's feasible to have round the clock moderation...

But if it becomes an issue, maybe there can be moderated sessions or something like that.

seventhdream
03-06-2005, 02:47 PM
It really isn't feasible to have someone in there around the clock. The Blab "staff" is made up of volunteers. I doubt we'd be able to find enough people able or willing to monitor the chat room day and night on their free time.

Also, we are looking at upgrading the chat program. This would make it so that non-members would not be able to use the chat room, among other features we are looking for.

Heather
03-06-2005, 08:36 PM
The chat system will be upgraded SOON - probably this month. The money's been paid - it's just finding the time.

As for monitoring - all chat users can do that themselves, by copying and pasting any chunks of conversations that they feel are offensive, and PMing it to me with as much other info as is relevant.

With the new chat system, it'll be integrated with our member list, so you'll know FOR SURE who you're talking to.

samantha k.
03-07-2005, 09:40 AM
The chat system will be upgraded SOON - probably this month. The money's been paid - it's just finding the time.

As for monitoring - all chat users can do that themselves, by copying and pasting any chunks of conversations that they feel are offensive, and PMing it to me with as much other info as is relevant.

With the new chat system, it'll be integrated with our member list, so you'll know FOR SURE who you're talking to.NOOOO!!!!!!!!!!:(

:sigh I'll miss signing in with my little names.:sad

SR Rachel
03-07-2005, 10:54 AM
If the chat were monitored I would be much less likely to go there. I would be less likely to give an honest opinion. And I would basically not find it as enjoyable.

If someone is old enough to be in the chat they are old enough to say 'Hey I don't appreciate that' or to remove themselves from the chat if it is not enjoyable to them. There are plenty of child approriate chats on the Net, I dont think blab chat need s a 24/7 G rating,

cyberwood
03-07-2005, 11:20 AM
NOOOO!!!!!!!!!!:(

:sigh I'll miss signing in with my little names.:sad

Then the question that comes to my mind is what are you hiding? One of the reasons things seem more under self-control that other BBS or forums out there is that I don't see an option to annymously post. People seem to be acting more accoutable when they know there's a way for people to be sending them e-mails.

booker81
03-07-2005, 02:45 PM
I think she means when she signs in "Sammielovesthis" or stuff, or someone signing in like "bookerhatesflashchat" (seen that a lot from people ;) ). Most of us know who is who, and when a "Stranger" is in there.

That's not an excuse or a reason, just a clarification. Some might have somethign to hide, but I know I don't :D

I'd LOVE to have it tied to the members though. Would be extremely nice. Especailly when strangers come in and ask a question that could EASILY be answered on the forum, or already has been a million times....

Is the little dohickey gonna be on the forum where you acn see who is already in the chat? That would be SAH-WEET!!!

Jen :D

samantha k.
03-07-2005, 02:59 PM
I think she means when she signs in "Sammielovesthis" or stuff, or someone signing in like "bookerhatesflashchat" (seen that a lot from people ;) ). Most of us know who is who, and when a "Stranger" is in there.

That's not an excuse or a reason, just a clarification. Some might have somethign to hide, but I know I don't :D
Haha, nope, *looks under self* Don't think I'm hiding anything.:lol

Yea, I love signing in as "Sammie has an Ostie":adore I'll miss that.:( But I guess a couple losses are worth a few gains!

Is the little dohickey gonna be on the forum where you acn see who is already in the chat? That would be SAH-WEET!!!

Jen :DWe had that feature before I think, and I agree! Would be AWESOME.:woohoo

Merrylegs
03-07-2005, 03:40 PM

With the new chat system, it'll be integrated with our member list, so you'll know FOR SURE who you're talking to.
The reason I really want to have a monitor is because I heard something nasty that has been said in the chat that made me sick to my stumace ( did I spell it right?). BTW can I be a volunteer?

SR Rachel
03-07-2005, 03:51 PM
Tell whoever said it when it is said that you don'y appreciate that.

Just say hey, I don't appreciate that. Or make a log of it and send it to someone.

We don't need a baby sitter or chat is going to go downhill and no one will be there

skippyfan
03-07-2005, 03:53 PM
Tell whoever said it when it is said that you don'y appreciate that.

Just say hey, I don't appreciate that.

Exactly. If I ever say something that offends a person, I'd prefer that the person would just say something to me about it. Then I'd know better the next time. ;)

Merrylegs
03-07-2005, 03:53 PM
If the chat were monitored I would be much less likely to go there. I would be less likely to give an honest opinion. And I would basically not find it as enjoyable.

If someone is old enough to be in the chat they are old enough to say 'Hey I don't appreciate that' or to remove themselves from the chat if it is not enjoyable to them. There are plenty of child approriate chats on the Net, I dont think blab chat need s a 24/7 G rating,

What I mean is you can talk about anything but something nasty and would make you barf :puke . You can pm in the chat about the nasty thing but saying ti out loud is worse. BTW I have a very weak stumace ( did I spell that right?) and if I was in the chat and someone said something nasty I'd barf. Well then again if it gets that worse in the chat THEN we could have a monitor.

SR Rachel
03-07-2005, 03:58 PM
What I mean is you can talk about anything but something nasty and would make you barf :puke . You can pm in the chat about the nasty thing but saying ti out loud is worse. BTW I have a very weak stumace ( did I spell that right?) and if I was in the chat and someone said something nasty I'd barf.

What qualifies as nasty? Booker had a nasty gash on her foot and was trying to decide if she should go to an ER, but I think it was appropriate to describe and ask for opinions. I'm personally not grossed by much in reality let alone harmless writen text on a computer screen. But if somneone said ewww stop I would shut up :)

Heck if I went into details of my daughter's stomach troubles people would potentially be grossed, but its not from violating any rules of chat. and its not inappropriate.

Merrylegs
03-09-2005, 01:55 PM
Not some thing like stumach problems like other stuff like your personal life with your husband or something like that

pipermaru
03-09-2005, 01:58 PM
Add my vote to those against moderated chat. How on earth would a moderator satisfy everyone's idea of what's offensive, and still be fair and unbiased?

Heather
03-09-2005, 04:32 PM
We wouldn't have regular moderated chats. Things're so subjective in that regard. What we will probably start doing is having organized chats added to the calendar. Youth chats, chats about live showing, chats about photo showing, etc.

KatieMcc421
03-09-2005, 07:14 PM
Hey Heather - Just a suggestion, and I don't know if its feasible or not with the new system:

Is there any way to "mark" the underage chat users when they're signed in? Something like putting an asterick (hmmm...how do you spell asterick?!) next to their user name? That way chat users would be able to know with a quick glance whether or not their more, ahem, *mature* comments are appropriate at a given time. I'm not sure if users had to register with their age or not, but if so, it might be a good idea.

Either way, I have faith that the Blab team will come up with a brilliant solution :D

Merrylegs
03-09-2005, 07:38 PM
Hey Heather - Just a suggestion, and I don't know if its feasible or not with the new system:

Is there any way to "mark" the underage chat users when they're signed in? Something like putting an asterick (hmmm...how do you spell asterick?!) next to their user name? That way chat users would be able to know with a quick glance whether or not their more, ahem, *mature* comments are appropriate at a given time. I'm not sure if users had to register with their age or not, but if so, it might be a good idea.

Either way, I have faith that the Blab team will come up with a brilliant solution :D
Thats a great idea. I wuold have never thought of it. Okay now I think we should just have that instead of a monitor. Why couldn't I have thout of that :hammer .

champlain
03-09-2005, 07:55 PM
We wouldn't have regular moderated chats. Things're so subjective in that regard. What we will probably start doing is having organized chats added to the calendar. Youth chats, chats about live showing, chats about photo showing, etc.I :adore the idea of moderated chats. I can't wait until the new chat is up and running. :thumbsup

:embarras:Whoops...Considering I voted against monitored chats, what I meant to say was:

I :adore the idea of organized chats.

pipermaru
03-10-2005, 02:03 AM
We wouldn't have regular moderated chats. Things're so subjective in that regard. What we will probably start doing is having organized chats added to the calendar. Youth chats, chats about live showing, chats about photo showing, etc.

Thanks for the clarification. I said "moderated" when I should have said "monitored".