I've been reading the letters in the book and am enjoying them. The style of writing was quite different in the 1920's.
Last week, I finished Block 10, Bowtie. Lots of dolka dots. The pattern calls for piecing the center from four triangles, which I did; however, in English paper piecing, the center is a square. I can't help but look at blocks and break them down for English paper piecing.
I finished Block 5, Bat Wing, yesterday.
I finished two more blocks last week. I need more white fabric before I can continue. The next color in line is a milk chocloate brown, but I'm not sure about incorporating more brown. The pink floral here (a Lori Holt design) has brown, but the rest of my stars are pretty bright. I will have to experiment.
I've been working on my star quilt for a few months now. I usually don't like to have too many projects going at once, but I started this one before the Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt. I wasn't planning on doing the sampler quilt for awhile, but the quilt shop around the corner started up a class. I was so excited I couldn't say no. So, now I'm juggling projects. It is a bit stressful for me. I'm much more calm with only one thing going on at a time. Anyway, I'm piecing the star quilt using the English
Okay, I'm nuts to even attempt this quilt. With 111, 6-inch blocks that range from fairly easy to very difficult, it truly is beyond my skill. That said, here are my first three blocks. All are hand pieced. I decided against English paper piecing this one. We shall see just how far I get.
Block 1, Attic Windows
This is actually the third one I pieced. Yes, I know it needs a good pressing. But I love that Pam Kitty floral.
January 23, 2014 Thursday
I started this quilt in mid-July 2013. I hand pieced 1-1/2-inch hexagons using English paper piecing method, which I love. Most of the fabrics are reproduction 1930's. Here is completed quilt top. I'm currently hand piecing it.