Miss Twist

The Special One

Rate this Entry
I recently traded a model for in exchange for a model I was dying to have for months. A friend had purchased a model from the Stone Company for me, treating it like a no-interest layaway. When I had the money, I would purchase the horse from her. I was very glad she struck this deal with me, as I had this horse on layaway once before and couldn't afford her. Every time a sale would pop up I would watch my One of a Kind Performance Horse's price drop and I thought "Surely, this would be the week someone took this horse from me." My new job hasn't yielded the hefty profits that my old job did, and I was beginning to think that my horse would never come home. I was delighted when she accepted a partial trade for a One of a Kind Ideal Stock Horse that I had.

When I received the horse, I was beyond thrilled. Pulling her out of the bubble wrap and holding her in my hands in my own home was something I never thought I would be able to do. I admired every inch of that horse. She was glossier than a Christmas Ham, had rich hues of russet and auburn with such determination painted into her eyes. Remade into a cutting pose with a fresh mane and tail, this little lady was doing a turn-and-burn. My elation skyrocketed as I had considered using this mare as my gateway into Performance showing. I couldn't figure out where I wanted to put my new horse. I wanted to see her every day, I wanted to be able to admire her and enjoy her. She spent the first few days on my desk right next to my monitor.

As the days passed and I still found myself so smitten with my cutting mare I wondered... why don't I feel this way about most of my other models? I had no issue trading off my OOAK ISH to obtain this horse. And, to be honest, when I received the OOAK ISH I unwrapped her, looked her over, and placed her on the shelf. I never stopped to really appreciate or enjoy her. I showed her and NAN qualified with her and spent nearly two hundred dollars on her but when I received her I never felt as happy with her as I did with this new horse. Sure, I liked her, but she didn't consume my thoughts the way this new mare has.

I then looked at my shelves upon shelves of horses and saw a lot of bland-ness. Every so often my eyes would fall on a horse I was still particularly fond of, but the rest all blended together into a conga of golds, browns, whites, greys, and blacks. I then wondered, would one of these horses evoke the joy in a collectors heart the same way my cutting mare did to me?

I almost felt selfish at that moment. Hoarding these gorgeous One of a Kinds, Limited Runs, and Customs that I didn't really appreciate as much as the others... but I was also unable to bring myself to sell them. So, while it's obvious that I do enjoy these models... I think someone else would probably appreciate them a lot more. I feel sometimes as though I've immersed myself in so many nice horses that I am often blind to the consistent high quality and beautiful details on the models and it takes something drastically new and exciting to remind me of how amazing these models are.

What makes one model so special, when so many others seem to just blend with the crowd? Why do we buy the models that blend with the crowd when we really have no special attachment to them? Do we have higher standards for them that they fail to meet upon arrival? Why can't we let these models go most of the time when we decide we want some extra cash for other models?

One thing is for certain, there is much more to model horse collecting than most people would think.

Comments

Congrats on getting her!
    I echo the congrats on getting your special model. Sometimes I get caught up in the thrill of the find and buy horses because of their rarity or the situation/sentimental value. They may not stand out on the shelf once I get them home. And when the feelings wear off sometimes I do part with them. I think over the course of time we develop our interests and collection habits.
    Congratulations on bringing home your new lady :)

I enjoyed reading your article. I think the same can be said for most collectors, some things you 'bond' with some you don't and are easy to part with.

Some aren't as attractive as the primped up stock photo's would have us believe and we find we are disappointed upon receiving our treasure.

Sometimes, we don't realise how much we cherished something until we parted with it,
    Mandy.