Miss Twist

Model Horse Motives

Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
"I want that"

That phrase often comes to mind when I see a new horse. Sometimes it doesn't matter the make, model, color, or scale. I see it, I want it, I must have it. But then I snap back to reality and realize that being a Manager at a Hotel doesn't really rake in the booty to toss on any and every model that I see. Additionally, while I feel my living accommodations are nicer than the others in my area I have come to peace with the realization that my house could not possibly accommodate the sheer numbers of models that I wish to fill it with. When does it turn from collecting to just another episode of Hoarders?

I realized that I needed to set a goal of sorts with my collecting, less I jumble my priorities and allow my hobby to consume me. What do I wish to accomplish by piling these beautiful horses onto every piece of vacant shelf or counter space in my home? What do I truly get from it that keeps me coming back for more?

Showing is a huge part of my hobby now, but it wasn't always that way. When I was young (and had Mama and Papa's money!) I bought anything that I thought was pretty, cute, or new. Sometimes even competing with my friends to see "who could get the most new horses first". The horses often collected dust and were crammed in an unappreciative manner onto shelves as a new horse came in. I did not show them, so once they fell out of the limelight they were doomed to a shelved existence. I knew of shows and events in the area but never went for two reasons. One, I had real horses and as you may know they consume an incredible amount of time and energy... and Two, I was a kid and I was admittedly sheepish to ask my mom or dad to waste their day to drive me 3 hours away to some toy-horse-show when I had real horses not even 5 minutes up the road.

Now that I'm an adult with a Drivers License, Car, and Vacation Time I can do whatever I want with my spare money and my spare time. While I don't have the luxury of spending someone else's hard earned money on my hobby... It HAS taught me to consider my purchases wisely and has given me the ability to HAVE a goal in my hobby... and that goal is having a successful show string with which I can bring home some serious swag/booty.

If I find myself wanting to buy a certain horse, I examine my current show string and see "where can the new horse fit in?" I have a considerable weakness for Breyer's Sport Horses. I don't know why but I am head over heels for the Ruffian, Cigar, Keltec Salinero, Smarty Jones, Lonesome Glory, Strapless, Idocus, Cedric, and Valentine molds (to name a few!). So, if a new color pops up on the Salinero mold I ask myself "Where can I put him where he won't drown out my other show horses?" Often times I cannot find a place for the new ones because I already have 3-4 horses in that particular class. From there I ask myself "Do I like this horse enough to get him as a shelf piece?" Most of the time it results in me having to reconsider the horse for a few days time, then come back to it on a following pay period and ask myself again "Okay, are you ready to put the money down? Or would you rather save it or buy a horse in a Group that you have considerably less horses in (cough PONIES cough)?" That helps resolve most of my issues, and has helped me pair down my Breyers to the horses that show most effectively without being redundant. I recently sold a Riesling of mine to a friend because I already had TWO Keltec Salinero molds on the show table, and of the group Riesling was my least favorite (and has markings nearly identical to Keltec) So I knew I could let him go to focus on a weaker part of my show string.

Sometimes though, I like a horse for far more than just showing. Some One of a Kind Paint ISHs from Peter Stone can't escape my grasp, though I already have over 10 pinto horses on that mold. I've resorted to some pretty clever breed assignments that are moderately successful when showing against other Stones (there's no mold variety, LOL!) but sometimes the pattern or color is so nice that I just have to have it, regardless of if I will show it or not. It's worth rotating my show stock sometimes! I always make sure to consider the purchase for usually the length of a pay period. If I still want it after that time I will snap it up. I'll know it's meant to be.

In recent months I've decided that my Breyer Sport Horse sickness will never be cured, and I've come to terms with it. I wanted to find a way to justify the cost of the models while attempting to make them fit in the scope of my collection. So, since I am also learning to paint models I have decided I will have a "Sport Horse Stud Farm" of sorts. Pairing up mares and stallions from my collection and painting the proposed offspring onto a custom model. I could make pedigrees, examine genetics, and just have a bunch of fun with it while growing the artistic side of my hobby.

So while my methods may be a bit strange, I still have a scope and goal to my hobby. I collect horses with the intent of showing them. I specialize with Sport Horses of any scale or production type. The backbone of my show string consists of Stone Horses. Everything that I purchase has to fit into that dynamic somehow so that I don't lose focus and end up blowing money all over the place and ending up with "a whole lot of nothing special" Having the will power to say "No" to a new model means that money will accrue and possibly be spent on new ways to grow my hobby... like saddles for Performance. Or a nice new Artist Resin!

Now each time I say "I want that!" I always ask myself "Are you sure?" --- most of the time... I'm not!
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I actually really, really like the stud farm idea! It sounds like you'll have a lot of fun doing it and I don't think it's strange at all!
    Absolutely agree! :) great notice, as usual :)
    I love your stud farm idea, how cool!

[QUOTE][COLOR=#3E3E3E]When does it turn from collecting to just another episode of Hoarders?[/COLOR][/QUOTE]
    this is something that concerns me a lot as I don't only collect Breyers now but all other kinds of dolls.

When I bought my first Breyer it was like, I just need one or maybe two for my Breyer pick up and trailer, then I needed a rider/stable lass and of course they need accessories and tack and then they need a vet .......... etc etc etc

now I have a stable set and a shelf above it for additions, it's very addictive,
    MandyJ
    LOVE this blog! :D
    [QUOTE=MistressEquus17;bt919]LOVE this blog! :D[/QUOTE]

I am so glad!! That means so much to me! I try to keep the posts to once a month but keep them pretty lengthy and remotely identifiable/interesting!