Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BreyerFest Forum to become PUBLIC not PRIVATE for non-paid members

Blab Member Original Poster

Default BreyerFest Forum to become PUBLIC not PRIVATE for non-paid members

I'm a non-paid member and when I was on my trial or whatever, I could view the BF forum and I LOVED it. Now I can't because I'm not paid so I can't get updates that you can only find on here which makes me very frustrated and upset. In no way shape or form am I going to pay just to see a forum on a website that I rarely go on. So if you could make changes, as I'm sure there are more suggestions about this, please do so. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by breyerfan202 View Post
    I In no way shape or form am I going to pay just to see a forum on a website that I rarely go on. .
    You might have had some folks go to bat with you if you would have left this line out. Sounds VERY entitled and snotty (actually, downright rude to me). The membership fee here is VERY reasonable for what you get. Students get a membership for next to nothing. And if you 'rarely' visit the website, I don't see what the big deal is. You want folks to cater to your 'rare' visits???? I dunno, the whole post just kinda rubbed me the wrong way. I pay my fees and am thrilled for what I get. And if I didn't pay my fees, I certainly wouldn't gripe about what I could no longer see.

Quote Originally Posted by ravensgate View Post
    You might have had some folks go to bat with you if you would have left this line out. Sounds VERY entitled and snotty (actually, downright rude to me). The membership fee here is VERY reasonable for what you get. Students get a membership for next to nothing. And if you 'rarely' visit the website, I don't see what the big deal is. You want folks to cater to your 'rare' visits???? I dunno, the whole post just kinda rubbed me the wrong way. I pay my fees and am thrilled for what I get. And if I didn't pay my fees, I certainly wouldn't gripe about what I could no longer see.

What Jaime said. I went unpaid for about 6 months before I coughed up the $18. Which is a bargain considering all you have access to here. Easy to browse forums, you can get all the latest info as soon as someone knows it, they will post it here. And heck, if you post your wish lists, someone may contact you that they have your "grail" for sale. It's happened to me!

Blab isn't the only place to get info about Breyerfest. I had a paid account for a year and I loved it. When I am able to I'd love to subscribe again, as it's totally worth the money.

You say you rarely use this site... so why is it even a problem for you? There ARE other places (forums, groups, sites, etc) out there.

But imo Blab's the best. Ehehehe.

Find me on Facebook | Etsy Shop

Blab Member

They have opened up the BF forum during breyerfest for those that weren't able to go. I'm more than content if they continue to do this
    Lauren Gullett

Even though I'm a paid member, I think I'd like to see it open to everyone. It could really help IMO having more people to share information, help others, ask questions, get park info before hand (as in months) for planning the trip, costs, where to stay etc.
    Jenn Smith

Quote Originally Posted by lonesomeglorylover View Post
    Even though I'm a paid member, I think I'd like to see it open to everyone. It could really help IMO having more people to share information, help others, ask questions, get park info before hand (as in months) for planning the trip, costs, where to stay etc.
    And see, that's how one *should* state their case when they want to give the 'pros' to making that forum open.

Not coming over and saying 'In no way shape or form am I going to pay just to see a forum on a website that I rarely go on'.

More flies with honey and all that.

I read the OP's remark as that they are saying they hardly visit the BF forum specifically so they don't want to pay just to be able to view that one particular forum, not that they hardly visit the Blab website as a whole.

I finally took the $18 plunge and became a paid member for the first time this month to see what I've been missing, and I gotta say most of the major BF info about the SRs and such is eventually repeated in the free areas and that is if it wasn't originally posted there to begin with. I think the big perk of being a paid member is the ability to post in the buy/sell/trade forum which was my main incentive. And I agree the $18 for an entire year is quite reasonable. That works out to only $1.50 a month. I can't even get a tiny latte at Starbucks that cheaply.
    Heather Hoffmann
    Who leaves a country packed with ponies to come to a non-pony country?
    Seinfeld - The Pony Remark

WANTED: BF 1997 Bold the Police Horse button (if they exist)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Desmodus View Post
    I think the big perk of being a paid member is the ability to post in the buy/sell/trade forum which was my main incentive.
    For me, it would be the photo shows. I've always been a paid member (well, I was a member before it was paid!), but if I wasn't now and was thinking about doing it, it would be the shows that tipped the balance for me.

I *might* be a TINY bit biased (hah!), but the judges that we've had for the photo shows are TOP quality, and to get a chance to hear their comments on my entries for nearly free would be a major major draw for me!
    Erin C. | Studio Facebook Page

BreyerWest 2017: March 24-26, Albany Oregon
    Facebook Page Here
    Breyer's Event Page Here

I'd say it's worth $18 to get access to something without which I am rendered "very frustrated and upset."

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    For me, it would be the photo shows. I've always been a paid member (well, I was a member before it was paid!), but if I wasn't now and was thinking about doing it, it would be the shows that tipped the balance for me.

I *might* be a TINY bit biased (hah!), but the judges that we've had for the photo shows are TOP quality, and to get a chance to hear their comments on my entries for nearly free would be a major major draw for me!
    I agree with this (and yeah, I'm prolly biased too). But to get access to all the judges who routinely volunteer here, you'd ordinarily have to pay thousands of dollars in travel expenses. The comments in the collectibility show alone were priceless, virtually a textbook of information, some from people who almost never judge but are supremely expert. A real boon!

With just 68 posts and a short time with access to the paid forums, I'd say the OP is not really in a position to evaluate what the real value of the paid forums is. With some forums, they become more interesting as you get to know people here. Also with every person it is different. I almost never visit the NAN forum (even though I show at NAN), but read Real Equine rather regularly (even though I don't have a horse!). And that's the opposite of my habit when I first joined, for sure.

And see, that's how one *should* state their case when they want to give the 'pros' to making that forum open.

Not coming over and saying 'In no way shape or form am I going to pay just to see a forum on a website that I rarely go on'.

More flies with honey and all that.

The only reason I'm not a paid member is because I'm on a strict saving streak.
    Pony Potter
    Sorta Looking For Weather Girl UPC's. I've fallen in love with translucent rainbow!

Blab Member

I realize this is old, but I could have sworn that the breyerfest forum was open not too long ago. Or maybe it was just things in the OF Corral. But to the point. My mother will not allow me to purchase a Blab membership, but she also wants me to find out more information about Breyerfest since she just bought tickets for me and my friend. I really would like to know what happens there from people who have been, what is usually there, what is sold, what happens at a SWAP meet, room sales...things like that. But I cannot access any of that information and I am afraid that I am going to feel very, very lost when I finally get to Kentucky this summer. I don't even know where to I should ask my mom to book a hotel room! I understand that it requires money to run forums, but Breyerfest is a HUGE event, and a rather costly one to attend. I would like to be able to find out information without having to steal my mother's credit card.
    ~Seth/Ariel Baran, a.k.a. Nanaki~

I'm transgender, feel free to ask me anything. I'm not shy!

https://empireequestrian.blogspot.ca/

Looking for a matte Saffron!!

Blog Entries

Here's my standard response to the "why isn't it free" question ... it costs money to provide for you. (And a huge amount of time.)

To help people who can't manage the $18 yearly fee, the new $1.80 per month option has been provided (My Blab > Paid Subs.) There is a link showing people how to start and top the monthly option at will.

The BF forum is opened to all members during BF week, as part of the general hobby celebration that goes on then.

I think the $18 fee is worth paying as a way to support this forum and all the effort the admin and mods all put into making it a positive place to chat about our hobby. It really does cost money to keep a site like this going - from someone who recently subscribed to a domain and internet presence, I know just leasing the rights to the domain name itself itself costs a lot of money on an ongoing basis.
    Dawn D. in NJ aka NJHeart2Heart
    <--
    "Iris Krazy Kitten Kat"

Clover Lake Acres on Flickr
    Traditional Size Breyers, Stones and animals of various brands.

The original poster of this thread has not visited the forum in over a year, so unless there is another unpaid member still reading...
    PRE BREYERFEST ROXY CONGA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NJHeart2Heart View Post
    ... from someone who recently subscribed to a domain and internet presence, I know just leasing the rights to the domain name itself itself costs a lot of money on an ongoing basis.
    ... also a site this size with this much traffic has to have a fair amount of server capacity. And some other infrastructure to keep it going as smoothly as it can be provided to the users, who should not have to worry about that stuff.

Anyone who wants to can start an internet forum, and discuss anything they wish - like BF. There are good reasons why most people don't choose to do that.

For those who don't have a credit card, or who are underage and cannot legally obtain a credit card, there are a lot of prepaid credit cards out there that you can load with money to use online and elsewhere (like a gift card, only a Visa or Mastercard that you can use just like a credit card almost anywhere).

For instance, Walmart sells a Visa 'moneycard' for $3.00 that allows you to put anywhere from $5 to $500 on it. Then you can use the card just like a credit card until the money you loaded onto it is used up. Walgreens also sells prepaid credit cards, as do many grocery stores and other retailers. I myself can vouch for the Walmart and Walgreens versions of pre-paid cards, I have used both myself

Hope this helps!
    Caryn P.

My Ads on MH$P: http://www.modelhorsesalespages.com/...sp?Accid=13640

There you can find currently available dioramas, props, models, and much more!

Free Give-Aways all year for my FB Friends!
    I participate in PIF!

Quote Originally Posted by jasper978 View Post
    The original poster of this thread has not visited the forum in over a year, so unless there is another unpaid member still reading...
    See post 13. That's why this thread came up again, not because of the OP .

Blog Entries

See post 13. That's why this thread came up again, not because of the OP .
    Heh. I only saw "April 13th," so it looked current. I stopped comprehending short of "2010."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast