Thread: Has anyone ever bought from this website?

Blab Member Original Poster
    Blog Entries

Default Has anyone ever bought from this website?

Hi! I was thinking of getting some Apoxie Clay from this website:

http://www.clayalley.com/

Seems to have good prices but i'm not too crazy on the "up in the air shipping costs". I like to know my costs up front so I compare websites and chose the best that fits my needs. Since they're only 1 state over, I have a feeling the base cost they charge is definitely more than it would actually cost but she does say she refunds over-payments. I'm just worried about being charged more for shipping after I've already agreed to a certain price..I dunno...maybe I"m just paranoid ...I think it peaks my concerns since the website is very "personal". I figured I'd ask here on blab first before bothering the seller with any questions.

Anyone ever buy from here? What was your experience?

Looking forward to hear some good news.

I've bought from them tons of times. It's where I get my Apoxie Sculpt. And their shipping isn't up in the air. Basically they charge what it says on the site (I think $8.95) and then I have always received a refund for the overage (on the 1 lb apoxie anyway). Some folks don't set up their websites to base postage rates on pounds of the items ordered so just averaging something out is often the best way to go and then just refund folks later. At any rate, the company is fabulous and I recommend them all the time

I don't think they could ever charge you MORE on shipping than what you agree to. That's unethical and more than likely illegal. They just give a ballpark and a high one and it's either accurate or they do a refund.

I just bought new sets of clayshapers here and I've ordered from her a couple of other times in the past. always pleasantly surprised to find my order cost was a little bit lower than I thought it was going to be.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravensgate View Post
    I've bought from them tons of times. It's where I get my Apoxie Sculpt. And their shipping isn't up in the air. Basically they charge what it says on the site (I think $8.95) and then I have always received a refund for the overage (on the 1 lb apoxie anyway). Some folks don't set up their websites to base postage rates on pounds of the items ordered so just averaging something out is often the best way to go and then just refund folks later. At any rate, the company is fabulous and I recommend them all the time

I don't think they could ever charge you MORE on shipping than what you agree to. That's unethical and more than likely illegal. They just give a ballpark and a high one and it's either accurate or they do a refund.
    Thanks! That's really great to hear. It does seem like she has the best prices. Just wanted to check it out first. Been burned way too many times where people say they'll refund something and they don't...She estimates $9.65 for PA-NY which is pretty high IMO I plugged in her zip and mine on USPS.com and it came out to $4.90 (online price) or $5.00 (P.O. price) for a 2lb Priority Mail package with DC# (of course she may also have handling fees or something too, I dunno)...since I'm not familiar with her or the site I just thought it best to ask someone who's ordered from her before if she is an honest to good seller before I get myself stuck in a bad situation. Sounds like she's my best option and that she is an honest seller. Plus since she's close, it should arrive fast...I'm an instant satisfaction type-o-gal After the holidays I may order a lb of apoxie clay...it's alot for a beginner, I know..but i figure i'll go all out and that should last me for quite a while..lol

It does seem that she only has the white apoxie clay...is that good to sculpt with? I think the clay only comes in white or native ...will i be able to see the contours and shadows of my sculpt with the white or is it going to be difficult?

Ok, well just so you know, I don't know if she is going to refund you the exact amount of postage back. I don't remember but I know I don't expect most places to charge me exact shipping. There's handling involved to. Just wanted to mention that since you are plugging in figures it sounds like you are going to expect exactly $9.95 less $5.00 back and I'm not sure if that's what you'll get back. She has the best prices even WITH the high shipping but if it bothers you that much you can find it higher priced somewhere and pay lower shipping I've done that based just on principle.

The white is good but some think it's a bit stickier than the natural. I have used both and like them both. The white isn't bright white and is just barely whiter than the natural. Finding a color that helps you see better is dependent on you. I bought some of the brown thinking I would be able to see better the darker the color and that certainly hasn't proved true for me.

Blog Entries

Ok, well just so you know, I don't know if she is going to refund you the exact amount of postage back. I don't remember but I know I don't expect most places to charge me exact shipping. There's handling involved to. Just wanted to mention that since you are plugging in figures it sounds like you are going to expect exactly $9.95 less $5.00 back and I'm not sure if that's what you'll get back. She has the best prices even WITH the high shipping but if it bothers you that much you can find it higher priced somewhere and pay lower shipping I've done that based just on principle.
    Oh, totally. I dont expect exact back...(plus, what's a $ or 2 anyway...really is no biggie). I have no problem paying what I agree to pay at checkout. I was just concerned because on the site it says to ignore the shipping in the cart and that it will be between $6.25 and $12.00 regardless of what the cart says....the cart was charging me $9.65...so my main concern is that I didn't want to be charged more than I paid and budgeted for during checkout (I've had sellers try to do this to me before unfortunately ). In the end, I was just more concerned with the overall purchase and service...didn't want to get my $$ stolen and no product or something. Better Safe than sorry is my motto.

The white is good but some think it's a bit stickier than the natural. I have used both and like them both. The white isn't bright white and is just barely whiter than the natural. Finding a color that helps you see better is dependent on you. I bought some of the brown thinking I would be able to see better the darker the color and that certainly hasn't proved true for me.
    Thanks for the tip! I'm just hoping that the clay is the right choice. I hear the clay is better for sculpting detail as opposed to the sculpt. I suppose I'll find out!

Quote Originally Posted by RobinHoodFan View Post
    I'm just hoping that the clay is the right choice. I hear the clay is better for sculpting detail as opposed to the sculpt. I suppose I'll find out!
    I totally missed this. I've never used the clay. I only use Apoxie SCULPT. I actually don't know of anybody that's used the clay (didn't even know the product existed).

Blog Entries

uh oh!

From when I've asked around on, i think blab here, the clay is less pastey and more clay-like....i dunno..i'm still on the fence....i was reccomended the clay since i'm a beginner and it behaves like regular clay that i'm used to working with...but if theres not going to be that much of a difference, the I should probably go with the cheaper the Sculpt...is the sculpt like clay? Does it work the same or is it more of a putty?....arg....i dunno

Also, it looks like the sculpt adheres to more and seems stronger in description....on clayalley.com it says taht the clay adheres to some plastics......now i'm worried..

It looks like you should be safe either way. The whole 'some plastics' part is the only thing that would make me steer clear. I'm sorry I didn't catch that you said 'clay' before. Since I've never used the clay I have no idea if they are similar or not.

Blog Entries

what is the texture of the sculpt? Is it modeling clay-like or more putty/polymer clay-like?

Blog Entries

hmmm...i dont like that...perhaps that's why the clay might be a better option...

Blog Entries

found a good website with alot of info on each....

http://www.epoxyclay.com/store/p/41-Apoxie-Clay.html
    http://www.epoxyclay.com/store/p/42-Apoxie-Sculpt.html

..no idea what to do now!!! I may go with the clay but I'm afraid of the "some plastics "thing.

Do you want to make an entirely new sculpture, or are you looking to CM? If you're going to start CMing then I would get Apoxie sculpt because it's easier to blend in with the surrounding plastic where something more like clay would be a lot harder to do that with. you can let Apoxie sculpt sit for a little while and sculpt with it more like clay after it's partly set but you get less working time out of it then.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Horsefeathered View Post
    Do you want to make an entirely new sculpture, or are you looking to CM? If you're going to start CMing then I would get Apoxie sculpt because it's easier to blend in with the surrounding plastic where something more like clay would be a lot harder to do that with. you can let Apoxie sculpt sit for a little while and sculpt with it more like clay after it's partly set but you get less working time out of it then.
    Thanks! I'm looking to do a CM but also sculpting wings for it, etc....I just hate the way polymer type clays act where you cant get any real detail where its like you just make indents as opposed to actually scraping away the clay...hard to explain. AND I used plumbers putty for a base coat on the wing and I hate it! It's like working with silly putty..you cant get ANY controled detail at all with it.

Blog Entries

Just got word that my order for the 1lb natural apoxie sculpt has been shipped! Even got my refund for shipping already! So far, this website is great!!! Can't wait to try out the Sculpt!