Thread: Be Aware - zip code 240** , Jernigan and many aliases

under the oaks Original Poster Mary's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Be Aware - zip code 240** , Jernigan and many aliases

If you know of other TTB threads about this individual - good as well as bad - please PM Mary with a thread link, and this post/thread will be updated to include them. Thank you.

First thing - not everyone who lives in these zips is a problem hobbyist. Please do be fair, while you are protecting yourself.

The two zips posted on Blab to date are 24012 and 24014. These zips cover communities in the Roanoke / Lynchburg, VA area, and are not far from Greensboro, NC.

The problem ...
    So far as I know at this point, no one has directly lost hard cash to this person. Instead, the pattern is that an interested "buyer" gets a seller to place a model(s) on hold while they arrange a payment or trade, but then is never heard from again. The seller loses the possibility for other sales until they give up waiting on the buyer who has disappeared. It seems very likely this is one person using different names - but what we know is that the names all use the same address / zip code(s).

Please post ONLY problems that arise from 240** zips --
    - Please DON'T include good, but unrelated, transactions. Do post green lights in separate threads for names from 241** zips that have NOT yet been mentioned in this thread. Separate green light threads will help those people stay out of this tangle.
    - Anything, good or bad, that involves a name already shared in this thread will be useful.
    - First-person accounts only. If you know of someone else who has had an experience that is relevant to this thread, they can join and post their information at no cost.
    - If you can confirm a 240** zip from first-person knowledge, link threads that have already been posted in TTB. Feel free to link threads on other sites as well. Cross-referencing with other sites helps confirm information. Screen-print MHSP and post as an attachment, as MHSP ads don't stay on view.

NO SPECULATION, please!
    - Do not mention names unless you know, first-person, that the name used these zips.
    - Don't suggest a connection with a name unless you have first-person facts.
    - Do not speculate on WHY this occurs. However, anyone is welcome to open a thread in GOT discussing the issue in general terms, not specific to these names and reports. (That's been done on Blab in the past, most informatively, about issues ranging from hoarding to domestic violence.)

With fairness, keep in mind what a misery it would be to be linked with a problem like this if you were completely innocent. Don't take a chance of doing that to someone else. But do share facts you know directly, to help others in the hobby.

These names have been linked with the "on hold" tire-kicking in Blab TTB.
    (Linked to threads with details. Alphabetized by FIRST name.)

*** SOME ARE THE NAMES OF REAL HOBBYISTS WHO ARE UNAWARE THEIR NAME IS BEING USED IN THIS MANNER ***
    Unfortunately I do not have enough information to say definitely which those are - but do try to get all the info you can, compare to what's known, and be fair to the innocent.

TO ADD NAMES IN THIS THREAD - you must include the zip code you were given. We have other threads on Blab the may be related, but the 240** zips have not been given in the thread.

Suggestions to avoid holding a sales model for a "buyer" from these zips

- First and always, do a search on the name before responding to the first inquiry. Include Blab, MHHR, MHSP and any other site that might hold warnings. Search specifically in this sub-forum, as well as in TTB, just to be sure.

- If you do not know someone who asks to place a model on hold, ask up front for their shipping address, and tell them that you will only ship to that address. They can't change later. Then search on the zip in the above reporting sites, as well as on the name.

- For all transactions, place time limits on every step so you are not left hanging if there is a delay in the response - or no response. "I will hold the model until [date AND time] for payment ... " "My counter-offer is ___ , and I'll hold the model until [date AND time] for your reply."

- Or, state in your ad your policy that you don't place models on hold. That you are selling to the first person that pays, not the first person that inquires - if they add on any additional shipping within __ days.

- Other suggestions?

Thanks all ... as always, we can work together to keep this hobby as safe as possible ... and your first line of protection is always your own wise decisions!
    Last edited by Mary; 04-17-2015 at 09:20 PM. Reason: add names

Quote Originally Posted by mechanicaljen View Post
    I believe it is 24012, not 24102
    Yes, it is 24012 & 24014

Scarlette Wilde has the zip 24014 and is a known tirekicker and has a related thread on Blab here: http://www.modelhorseblab.com/forums...Scarlett-Wilde as well as yellow and red lights on MHHR.

I was just contacted by Scarlette Wilde again a few minutes ago- she is making the rounds with a new email address (blocked the previous one).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ivan (my rescued pink nosed Percheron who would give kisses for carrots) I miss you. RIP 2001
    Please check out my MH$P ads!
    Thanks for looking!
    Ellen W. Vogel

under the oaks Original Poster Mary's Avatar
    Blog Entries

An fyi for anyone who has been contacted by Amy Jernigan recently ... click here for another thread link.