Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Original Poster Highlight

Blab Member Original Poster

Default Original Poster Highlight

I am curious as to whether this is a "me" problem or if others would like this as well.

On a popular horse forum I am on, within a thread, all replies on that thread that are made by the original poster are marked. Beneath the username, "Original Poster" is ridden in red block letters.

I find this very helpful in threads that get derailed, or drag on with repetitive posts, if I would like to find out what happened for the OP or to hear their response, even if I don't care about the rest of the mayhem. Additionally, I find it helps me keep track of the different "characters" in a thread, and not get my posters confused, particularly if I have signatures turned off or many posters do not have icons.

Would such a thing be possible to do with our forum? Some way to highlight "HEY, THIS IS WHO STARTED THIS THREAD". I don't know a thing about formatting and such, so I have no idea

Would others like this? Am I the only one who gets their posters confused and has to go back to check the first post?
    Kaitlin Lewington
    You can find me at these places:

FacebookInstagramTinker Town TackYouTubeTumblr
    lifeishorsesarelove@gmail.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lifeishorsesarelove View Post
    ... On a popular horse forum I am on, within a thread, all replies on that thread that are made by the original poster are marked. Beneath the username, "Original Poster" is ridden in red block letters.
    Fairly certain you are talking about the COTH forum. I frequent it as well, at times. Yes, I think the OP designation is terrific, and I've been thinking for some time I would like Blab to have that. Hoping it's part of the software after the next upgrade. If it isn't, I'll see if we can hack it in somehow.

So I'm not the only one who likes that idea for Blab! Glad to know that.

It's not something I feel like I need, but I wouldn't mind it at all either
    Customs by Lauren Wood
    Click Here for current sales on MH$P

Quote Originally Posted by cheseri View Post
    It's not something I feel like I need, but I wouldn't mind it at all either
    Not a necessity but probably a nice little convenient feature to have

Paid Participant onekindacowboy's Avatar
    A place where people have standards, honestly!

I like it as well....whatever you do dontbswitch to delphi LOL
    I am on another forum which allows you to tag members similar to facebook. I also like that feature. It is Vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by onekindacowboy View Post
    I am on another forum which allows you to tag members similar to facebook. I also like that feature. It is Vanilla.
    Not being on Facebook, I don't know what it means to tag a member...
    Can you elaborate, please?

Ramie Custom Avatar..........Stitch Custom Avatar

Plastic Pony Lover! VWK'sanEasyGoer's Avatar

I think it would be good for some threads but for one's like the DAH thread and "In Hand Pics..." kind of thing I don't think it would be beneficial as those threads are not as much a discussion thread (well I know they are a discussion but there's a difference then for example the current Out of the Closet thread). I would feel a little weird if I started a thread like that about a model or whatever and then every time I posted it highlighted me. Just my feeling on it.

Otherwise I'm neutral on the subject. I am not on any other forums so I have no basis to yay or nay (or should I say yay or neigh??)

Choose a job you love and you will never work a day in your life-
    Confucious
    Victoria Krentz

Paid Participant onekindacowboy's Avatar
    A place where people have standards, honestly!

When you are "tagged" the program notifies you.

When you are "tagged" the program notifies you.
    Thanks for the clarification...

As for the answer to the OP's question, I'm not a person that likes to be the center of attention and to have my name/member ID highlited in bold red letters just because I'm the original poster...

Meh, I don't think I'd be too crazy about that.

I would LOVE something like that here! I can't tell you how many times I wanted to tag people in a thread so they see it. It's annoying to have to resort to PM and fill up the inbox.

Quote Originally Posted by VWK'sanEasyGoer View Post
    I would feel a little weird if I started a thread like that about a model or whatever and then every time I posted it highlighted me.
    I do totally see your point. I wouldn't want it as a big obvious highlight either. But if it was just black text somewhere on the post, maybe top right corner? I think it'd be fine...just something small where if you're looking for it, you can see it.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinHoodFan View Post
    I do totally see your point. I wouldn't want it as a big obvious highlight either. But if it was just black text somewhere on the post, maybe top right corner? I think it'd be fine...just something small where if you're looking for it, you can see it.
    Yeah, I'm not thinking we highlight the whole text box the post goes in in BRIGHT YELLOW, more like just a little red text "Original Poster", like used on COTH, or something similar in the side bar with the user info.
    Having it in a contrasting colour from the theme is good, too, because when you just want to scroll to "find out what happened", you can. (Think of this in those dragged out TTB threads where everyone feels the need to comment, or the Custom progress threads where its post after post of "AWESOME, Love it!")

On COTH (because yes, that is what gave me the idea) on the big "community" threads, you don't really notice it. But if you're looking, its a super helpful visual reminder.
    Kaitlin Lewington

Blog Entries

COTH threads have 20 posts per page and good discussions quickly grow to several pages, then dozens of pages - that's a lot to read! The OP designation is welcome, because otherwise it becomes impossible to remember who brought it all up in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary View Post
    COTH threads have 20 posts per page and good discussions quickly grow to several pages, then dozens of pages - that's a lot to read! The OP designation is welcome, because otherwise it becomes impossible to remember who brought it all up in the first place.
    That's why I set my posts per page to the max here...I like not having to click next every few posts...I'd rather just scroll

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RobinHoodFan View Post
    That's why I set my posts per page to the max here...I like not having to click next every few posts...I'd rather just scroll
    That's interesting - because I've been thinking of setting the default up to 20 per page, rather than the current 10 per page. The current page was set way way back in ye olde days when a lot of people were on dial-up connections and it was important to minimize page loading. Now I have nieces and nephews graduating college who are so very techy and have no idea what a dial-up connection is.

So in this day & age instead of minimizing page load, we want to max it, so people can scroll and not have to re-load the next page so much. Love those accelerated network transmission rates ...

Blog Entries

It's done! Blab has an Original Poster tag! Thanks Matt W.!

At present it is below the avatar and other side stuff. I will see if we can get it directly under the name.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary View Post
    It's done! Blab has an Original Poster tag! Thanks Matt W.!

At present it is below the avatar and other side stuff. I will see if we can get it directly under the name.

I feel kinda special. And I like the tag, too, even if you can't move it up its in a good spot
    Kaitlin Lewington

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast