Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My dad's creations

Paid Participant Original Poster Eleda's Avatar

Default My dad's creations

Even though my dad has passed, I'd like to share some of his wagons.

First up is a hitch we called T&T, because the horses pulling it were named Terminator and Tripoli. It's a hay rides wagon, complete with hay, steps to load passengers, a chalk board advertising the rides, and a safety chain across the back to keep people safely inside the vehicle.

Next is his chuckwagon. He had a lot of fun with this one - He and my mom collected all the little accessories to stock the pantry in the back, and what he couldn't buy, he whittled, including a skillet, cutting board, and tiny knife.

And finally, even though this isn't a horse-drawn vehicle, per se, I had to show it off! I asked for a horse trailer to use as a prop for photo shows, and he spent a long time working on this. It's not a great picture, but it has tail lights, a moveable center divider padded with leather, and leather-wrapped butt chains. There's a manger in the front, too, to keep the horses happy on their journeys. The ramp works, of course, and includes pins on each side for safety, just like the real deal. It's one of my favorite builds that he made for me.

Shipping models worldwide since 2012. www.TripleMountain.com ~ Like us on Facebook for notice of new arrivals!

Those are wonderful - especially love the trailer. What awesome pieces to remember your dad by - he was a talented woodworker.

Linda Dean

"I tried that Japanese decluttering trend where you hold each thing you own and throw it out if it doesn't give you joy. So far I've thrown out all the vegetables and the electric bill."

Thanks, Linda. They are... They reside now on display under my model shelves, and always make me smile (unless I'm dusting them).

Love your signature - That gave me a good laugh!

Shipping models worldwide since 2012. www.TripleMountain.com ~ Like us on Facebook for notice of new arrivals!

Here's a funny story for everyone. My biggest challenge when asking my dad to build a wagon was that he was easily distracted and couldn't wait to try every new idea that came his way. (Okay, so now you all know where I get it...)

The horse trailer above is actually the second one he built. While building the first version, a friend of his visited and asked if he could make a cribbage board for him. Well, those two things intermingled in his mind, and seven or eight cribbage boards later, he finished my horse trailer. Calling me down to unveil it, he was grinning like a kid. I told him I really liked it.... "But wait!" he said. "Check THIS out!" He grabbed the trailer's roof, which lifted off in his hand to reveal that the underside of it was actually a cribbage board that fit right back down onto the trailer when flipped over. There was a deck of cards where the manger would be, and last but absolutely not least, he then pulled out the tail lights, which were actually wooden pins for the board, colored red and yellow!

It was hilarious, and impressive. Of course, I didn't get to keep that one - He wanted to keep showing it off to people - so he built me the "new and improved" normal one you see above.

Thanks for sharing! Those are fantastic.

Those are really nice! Such great memories. Did you dad just pass? I am sorry for your loss...

that at is wonderful he made those wonderful wagons for you. My dad, and step dad never did things with me. And when my step dad passed away recently, he did not leave me a thing to remember him by. It really hurt not to have some little token... Something that we had made or even done together to remember him by. You are so very lucky!
    Wanted (OF): World Cup Big Ben, varations on Big Ben,ANY Glossy Adios mold, German Chocolate, Glossy Kripton, Mardi Gras Legionario (Resin) Lirico, (China) any CMG Lirico any AA Rearing and Boxing Shires

Erin. Signature designed by Sharon Wishart (timberwolf)
    NAC MACH5 ADCH LAA-Bronze Ver-NATCH Hidyho Run for the Money CGC CD MXF HT FM "Jag" **at the bridge**
    Shield Crest Knight Rider CGC MX MXJ XF AD NAC "Kitt"
    Dreamcatcher Right Back at You AX AXJ AXP AJP XF AD NAC L1I "Boom"

Hi Landshark,
    I'm so sorry to hear that. No relationship is perfect, but with time we begin to remember more of the good and forget the "less good." My dad passed in 2009. My husband asked for his watch to have something personal to keep with him, so even thought it may not remind you of things you did together, you can still hopefully keep something of his that he used or enjoyed, to remember the good times.

I wanted to post some of his wagons here to help encourage other wagonsmiths to show off theirs and jumpstart some discussions on building techniques and such. There are so few wagonsmiths out there now... And we NEED them in the hobby. Plus, I love seeing what they create!

Upstairs, downstairs, and hiding in the studio

The trailer is my favorite, but I'm impressed with the details of each wagon! Thanks for sharing!

Well Eleda dragged me here kicking and screaming all the way, because I am a professional techno-phobe, thank you very much. I am here because I build wagons, and single and team harness. She said I had to join this or she would drive to my house and beat me repeatedly and forcefully about the head, shoulders, and upper extremities, so being a devout coward, and not a huge fan of beatings, here I am. Besides I did not want her to have to drive all the way over here alone. This is my first visit to a forum and to be honest I don't know what to expect. This is my latest addition to my herd, her name is Dolly and the wheels on the Vis--vis came from Eleda, whose Father bought them years ago to build one and evidently he was distracted, maybe by Cribbage boards, so she sent the whells to me and this is what happened100_0999.jpg100_1000.jpg100_1001.jpg100_1002.jpg100_1009.jpg

Ha! Me, give you a beating? Everyone knows I can't even kill a spider by myself, lol.

Actually, Papaone1 was the inspiration for this forum! He asked if I knew of periodicals or sites where wagonsmiths get together and share ideas and such, and I couldn't find a single one! Mary and I thought they ought to have a place right here at Blab, where people from other areas in the collecting community could chime in with ideas, encouragement, and such as well.

If anyone knows of any wagonsmiths out there, please invite them to this forum!

Aw Shucks, Eleda, now you've gone an done it?100_1012.jpg Eleda suggested that "Dolly" needed a little red accent to set it all off, so we gave her a"red garter" brow band. Eleda said!!!. I not this is not too provoking for those of you who are faint of heart, you know who you are , so be warned before you view. Eleda made me do it, she did, she did.100_0964.jpg100_0966.jpg100_0976.jpg100_0977.jpg

Just a word of encouragement to those of you are just starting out. you don't have to spend the whole "Dang rent check " to start these. I started with Collecta draft horses and the harness were fabricated from shoestring. Very easy to work and fun too. The wagons are another story, you start by looking them up on the internet for research and the you build. I have an older scroll saw and a table saw set up out on my porch, so all the sawdust stays out there, well not all but most. Every craft store and site on the internet will sell you balsa wood, wheels ,glue, paint and of course the ever important "Stuff". Then you try to make yours look like the ones you researched, and you are on your way. Don't worry if you encounter mistakes along the way, remember you haven't spent the whole car payment on supplies. I have thrown a few across the kitchen in frustration, but balsa wood doesn't weigh very much so it doesn't do too much damage. And you learn from the mistakes and don't repeat them, and the things that work remember for the next one. Remember back when you first started walking, that didn't always go right but you stayed with it and you learned, at least We hope you did.
    I mainly do it for therapy and rehab, I had 5 heart attacks, lost a lobe of lung to cancer, have COPD, PAD, walk with a cane but I mainly do it because I enjoy it, And you can too, just try. Here endeth the gospel for today, I'm sorry but I tend to preach once in a while, bear with me please,,Thanks

Blog Entries

Welcome, Papaone1! It is wonderful to see your work! And Eleda's papa's, too.

I hope you will be showing and telling us more about what you do, and bringing any other wagonsmiths you know along with you! Would love to see this take off, even though Eleda tells me there are not many of you. I hope this will be a great place to allow wagonsmiths to converse with each other.

Do you have a background in horses and wagons, or is this just something that caught your interest?

I have a question! Recently I read two Caleb Carr novels, set in turn-of-the-last-century New York City with great historical detail. One of the principal characters 'keeps' a wheeled vehicle they call a "calash". I found some rough descriptions online, but I wondered how accurate they are. This was a one-horse vehicle and I was a bit confused if the passengers had shelter or not, and if the driver also had shelter. Whatever it is, it is small enough to get around crowded NYC in the day, pulled by one horse.

Are you familiar with that type of vehicle - do you have a reference photo for it? How large was it, really? If this isn't really your line, perhaps you know someone who knows?

Just curious about it ... thanks !

Wow the wagons are beautiful! Hard to believe your father made the trailer out of wood, Eleda! They are all beautiful! Wow, papaone1. Nice!
    Wanted (OF): World Cup Big Ben, varations on Big Ben,ANY Glossy Adios mold, German Chocolate, Glossy Kripton, Mardi Gras Legionario (Resin) Lirico, (China) any CMG Lirico any AA Rearing and Boxing Shires

Erin. Signature designed by Sharon Wishart (timberwolf)
    NAC MACH5 ADCH LAA-Bronze Ver-NATCH Hidyho Run for the Money CGC CD MXF HT FM "Jag" **at the bridge**
    Shield Crest Knight Rider CGC MX MXJ XF AD NAC "Kitt"
    Dreamcatcher Right Back at You AX AXJ AXP AJP XF AD NAC L1I "Boom"

Love all the photos!!
    Lavender Porter

calash.jpgInteresting question, A calash was usually a single seat forward facing and modeled like a Vis-a-Vis ( roughly translated "face to face") which was a two seat carriage. Some were covered, some had fold down tops. Usually the driver sat on a raised and uncovered high seat for better visibility. I suppose these are the horse drawn version of a yellow cab. A fully enclosed passenger with an exposed driver would be referred to as a brougham. A two wheeled version on this design was usually referred to as a barouche, and all served the same purpose, to get folks from where they were to where they needed to be. And I hope this helps. It is confusing because everyone has a different perspective and many were called names other than the correct ones, and then add the multi-national make up of the city and all of the nomenclature gets blurred.,,,,,,,,,,,,Loren

Blog Entries

SO MUCH LOOOVE!!!!! I have the breyer meadowbrook, but it's broken due to someone's child playing with stuff in my room he shouldn't have been while his mom was cleaning. I still have most of the peices but have never under taken getting it fixed. I would love to add to teh collection and get my harness horses into the ring... eventually.

So please... continue posting the drool worthy pictures..!!

Hi again, I am still here and kickin'. Here is a farm themed team of pinto overo haflinger mares in classic size with a home made sickle mower. A very handsome matched pair, good enough to take to church, but hey horses have to eat too , and they love hay. 100_1013.jpg100_1014.jpg100_1015.jpg Enjoy,,,,,,,,,,,,Thanks,,,,,,,,,,,Loren

Blab Member

Eleda, your father's work is incredible. He was obviously a very talented man, and so kind to indulge you in your hobbies!!

I so love all these photos! Keep'um coming

What a great thread!
    Eleda what wonderful memorials you have from your father!

Papaone1, Welcome to Blab.
    Keep the photos and history coming.
    It's extremely interesting and I can't wait to see and read more!

Ramie Custom Avatar..........Stitch Custom Avatar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast