Quote Originally Posted by papaone1 View Post
calash.jpgInteresting question, A calash was usually a single seat forward facing and modeled like a Vis-a-Vis ( roughly translated "face to face") which was a two seat carriage. Some were covered, some had fold down tops. Usually the driver sat on a raised and uncovered high seat for better visibility. I suppose these are the horse drawn version of a yellow cab. A fully enclosed passenger with an exposed driver would be referred to as a brougham. A two wheeled version on this design was usually referred to as a barouche, and all served the same purpose, to get folks from where they were to where they needed to be. And I hope this helps. It is confusing because everyone has a different perspective and many were called names other than the correct ones, and then add the multi-national make up of the city and all of the nomenclature gets blurred.,,,,,,,,,,,,Loren
Thank you, Loren, that is a great photo reference. The names of all the kinds of ... carts? carriages? that people used to get around in the day are not familiar enough to know what each is! I suspect they were a little bit like the car brands today - a Deville vs an F-150, for example.

I have often wondered what the various designs were intended to accomplish. Better than walking, but the calash looks very exposed to the elements, even with the partial hood. I suppose the driver always seems to be out in the weather and because there wasn't another way for a driver to be able to see 360 degrees, see what the horses are doing and handle the reins, if there were a nice little driver's cab.